Tie Breaking System

17 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

Professional sports that require tie breakers such as infinite overtimes sometimes result in very long matches, sometimes double or triple the length of a standard match, which does tend to lead to burnout and less interesting following matches, since the teams don't get enough time to fully rest between matches.

The world's most popular sport doesn't even implement tie-breakers unless it's a tournament. During the regular season, futbol (soccer) ends up in ties quite frequently. American Football (professional, not college) has seen a few share of ties as well.

For sPvP in GW2, there is a tie-breaker system in place - it's a sudden death (first to break the tied score by either killing someone or neutralizing/capturing a point). But it's so incredibly rare that I've only seen it happen once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

They should also prevent spawn camping... You know, just to be fair to every server that goes against this one server...

Btw, the lock up isn't affecting 7 servers, only 1.

😏🍿

How would we prevent spawn camping? Should we get a GM to appear with a ban hammer, and say, "I need you all to disperse from here"?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, andrewlcl.8176 said:

How would we prevent spawn camping? Should we get a GM to appear with a ban hammer, and say, "I need you all to disperse from here"?

I heard Mag has police of some sort around.

🤭🍿

That was a joke reply btw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I heard Mag has police of some sort around.

🤭🍿

That was a joke reply btw.

Yeah I was just referencing a screenshot recently posted on Reddit. It literally looked like a GM with a ban hammer.

Also done in jest, no harm meant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrewlcl.8176 said:

In other games, like Battlefield 4, when there is "spawn camping" (aka base r@pe) there is a nuke system, whereby all players in the winning team get constantly killed. This "nuke" lasts around 20 seconds, which is enough time for the team with zero control points to rush out of their base and try to get at least one control point.

GW2 could use something similar to allow the team being spawn camped to get their EBG keep back. Champion Commander Siegerazer already gives a bit on invulnerability to the siege he deploys, but it could be extended to ALL friendly players around him.

Something like that could prevent the spawn camping that, IMHO, triggered the concerted retaliation in WvW that this one server (like, as Lord Voldemort, we cannot name lol) is facing.

Edited by Meva.8327
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Meva.8327 said:

Something like that could prevent the spawn camping that, IMHO, triggered the concerted retaliation in WvW that this one server (like, as Lord Voldemort, we cannot name lol) is facing.

Or, as someone else said on Reddit, "Trump"? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, andrewlcl.8176 said:

Now I want a tactic that spawns a Legendary Defender that walks around saying, "I need you all to disperse from here." while teleporting players to another map.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/20/2023 at 4:28 AM, kanderous.7512 said:

In case of a tie

The one with the higher KDR goes up.

What happens if the KDR also tied? It can happen and I think it actually did last week if I remember what I saw right before reset on Friday lol

12 hours ago, andrewlcl.8176 said:

I could post a number of suggestions here, but in the end watching players still in 2023 not using side exits........will just let it go.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Meva.8327 said:

In other games, like Battlefield 4, when there is "spawn camping" (aka base r@pe) there is a nuke system, whereby all players in the winning team get constantly killed. This "nuke" lasts around 20 seconds, which is enough time for the team with zero control points to rush out of their base and try to get at least one control point.

GW2 could use something similar to allow the team being spawn camped to get their EBG keep back. Champion Commander Siegerazer already gives a bit on invulnerability to the siege he deploys, but it could be extended to ALL friendly players around him.

I've always thought the introduction of a koolaid man that just blasts through structures to open them up after being held for so long.

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:31 PM, andrewlcl.8176 said:

Well, an idea to prevent spawn camping, is either have multiple spawn points, or unlock different spawn points in enemy territory when a team doesn't own their home keep.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

Getting a draw isn't that hard when 2 servers are practically even in terms of power and coverage. All it takes is a small adjustment on Friday afternoon.

Said like someone who has never tried to get two whole servers worth of farceholes to cooperate on any single goal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, floppypuppy.5789 said:

Said like someone who has never tried to get two whole servers worth of farceholes to cooperate on any single goal.

TC and SOR doesn't really have any bad blood with each other, which helps. Hell, on TC, some of us are friends with some of the guilds on SOR (we're still gonna get their bags, but it's all in good fun). That said, it's not like TC was 100% on board. GEM was actively doing all they could to WIN this past match-up as they did not want to tie again (which ironically, had they not done that, we would have lost by Wednesday), and other guilds like SKY and CC weren't actively trying for the tie. I'm sure SOR had some similar guilds.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Heh, fascinating topic.

There's definitely an element of karma about the situation, but I feel the point has been made and it's time to move on. I would be happy to see a sensible tiebreaker introduced to ensure there is always some movement between the tiers.

It would be nice to see a bonus for winning the whole weekly match but I can see it could be challenging to balance, Arena Net need to avoid systems which encourage people switching to a few winning servers.

• Confused 1

The only thing one really wins in WvW is getting more claim tickets/tick and rewards for capturing objectives.

On that standpoint, being on a lower tier is better in that one is more likely to be winning (more tickets/tick) and easier to cap objectives.  The only problem there is that if you are maximizing tickets/tick and capturing objectives, you will move up.

In an ideal world, you would want to maximize those things while you are playing, and minimize them when you are not.

If the game gave some sort of reward based on what tier you were at, that would change the incentive, though I'm not quite sure how one could fairly do that (time played?  Objectives captured during the week?  something else?)

3 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Heh, fascinating topic...but I feel the point has been made and it's time to move on...

😂 Apparently you are not the only one who feels that way. Yet another thread talking about this general topic has been disappeared. @TheGrimm.5624 I thought your comment in  that now deleted thread, the one that said threads may be being deleted because of the tone and toxicity in those thread, sounded reasonable. However, this latest deleted thread didn't seem particularly argumentative or toxic to me. 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

😂 Apparently you are not the only one who feels that way. Yet another thread talking about this general topic has been disappeared. @TheGrimm.5624 I thought your comment in  that now deleted thread, the one that said threads may be being deleted because of the tone and toxicity in those thread, sounded reasonable. However, this latest deleted thread didn't seem particularly argumentative or toxic to me. 🤷‍♀️

lol, been testing. But its like Fight Club. Seems to be 2 rules so far, and as in fight club you can't #### ##### ## else ###### #### ####. Rule one seems to be ## ###### ####### ##, ## #### ####. The keep it non toxic means that #### ###### ###### ##. So it may stick around. Mind you I still enjoy our forum wars 2 but sometimes you have to just sit back and laugh and ask, maybe I could have put that better. 🙂 Happy Tuesday!

• Thanks 3

I'm for the most part pretty neutral to the idea of tier breaker or not. It's not something that usually happens often enough to really be a big deal or have much impact.

If I had to chose however, I think I'd go with the current system allowing ties. Simply because it has the potential to create more unpredictable situations, so a small chance for extra variety/chaos to avoid the system becoming too stale/predictable. We also have the re-link system currently that will eventually unknot any situation that is too tied up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, floppypuppy.5789 said:

Said like someone who has never tried to get two whole servers worth of farceholes to cooperate on any single goal

As if this hasn’t been done three weeks in a row.   Congrats on the over time put in.

• Confused 1