when does the greed stop?

The reason why the distance of what you want is large is because Guild Wars 2 is casual by design (full ascended gear after a couple of weeks). Funny enough, I'd say that skins are the ultimate goal of this game while income, home instance, story and events with other players are to overcome boredom, a casual in-and-out. You need the skins or whatever in your head to even boot up the game.

Where you are right now is unsatisfying because your brain believes Guild Wars 2 has anything else to offer. Wrong.

This game only works if you don't really care about it. This is the game design. And the developers' job is to keep this going in the best way they can, maybe creating material/gold sinks when quantity gets too crazy.

And I think it's okay you get more through fractals or WvW because those things are less chill, demand more from you, they're more stressful.

Edited by Nethertale.9301
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

and the thing i really want is 1 set legendary armor, worked my ***off to finish collection 1, then for 2nd collection i need the guild but their raid times are bad for me, so here my goal stopped. and because i cant get the armor i want other things, i am a loot player myself. i also wanted to get to old lions arch, but the forced story stopped me there. 
its not just gw2 but every game i play have bad design. i understand that a company has to make money, but when paid i want something back and thats fun and nice loot, and also the bad start with EoD made it worse for me. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

ppl always agree with how things are and like to throw money to gems as if it's nothing.

You for sure haven't read the forums or reddit if you think people agree with how the game is handled 100% of the time. Also no one even said you should just credit card your way to getting the skins you want, only you have said that as a complaint. You talk about knowing you can convert gold to gems but complain it takes too long to earn gold then complain you don't want to do any of the methods that make decent gold. I'd honestly say maybe it's time for a different game as it sounds like you completely disagree with the philosophy of this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

and the thing i really want is 1 set legendary armor, worked my ***off to finish collection 1, then for 2nd collection i need the guild but their raid times are bad for me, so here my goal stopped. and because i cant get the armor i want other things, i am a loot player myself. i also wanted to get to old lions arch, but the forced story stopped me there. 
its not just gw2 but every game i play have bad design. i understand that a company has to make money, but when paid i want something back and thats fun and nice loot, and also the bad start with EoD made it worse for me. 

The game simply offers short/mid/long term goals across a broad spectrum of activities/collections/activities. Raiding rewards is in fact pretty much the only content that has relatively tight grouping requirements and represents a tiny tiny fraction of the goals and rewards available in the game. Ironically raiding most closely aligns to the 'loot' based content that the OP refers to.  

I also want legendary gear but the journey doesn't appeal to me, so I don't do it,  its not the games fault since its already a small % of rewards available. I do however work towards other legendries/Loot/Achievements.  Player choice basically.  As Judge Judy once said, 'not everything is a court action' as it were.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Jedrik.3109 said:

I think friend, there is a common denominator in your "all games are bad design" equation that you are missing. 

oke for my preferences, i am mostly an fps gamer. but because many fps got worse i played more mmo, but in reallity i am not an mmo gamer, in wow i hate daily's (in gw2 also) so thats why am always out of spirit shards, the nerf of bandit chest bag drop was huge for me. i am no achievement hunter, i only do them IF i like the title it gives. story's can be nice but in gw2 i want to rush it because there is a chance for disconnects, and then i have to do all over again, some story's took me 45 minutes to complete (solo)
if there was no chance of disconnecting i maybe took the time to understand it. so fps games are a fail these days. (also call of duty with their bad design, the game is made for campers and ppl play cheap, riot shields on their back is a smaller hitbox but activision dont care) in hearthstone i like to open pack from gold, but many times i have to play against real players for dailys, and there is 1 class i hate very much, and i get that class 90% against me. so better for me not playing that game. maybe i got a bit too addicted too loot, in the division 2 i was hunting loot crates the first 3 hours in beta before i started the story. in assassins creed origins also looting camps for upgrades. (no battle royal is not good for me) i hate challanges and want simple stressless gaming. 
i just have to take a break, but the problem is. if i stop i miss some gold from daily tasks. so i keep logging in sometimes, and sure then i try treasure muchroom sometimes, and the weekly EoD meta crates from seitung bought with stattues. 

i need a break. but also i have to search something else to do with that time, i can't go to the gym every day. 2 times is enough. also mountainbking everyday is a bit too much. and for movies i have zero concentration, even i like gw2 a bit less last time, when i tried to watch LoTR last weekend i was continue thinking about gw2 what lotr characters i could make in this game, tried to watch it a few days but didn't finish. 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

This game has one of the best monetization.

If you want skins, you gotta swipe or farm gold to buy from gem store and thats awesome, no p2w.

For me the carrot is qol shop items, like copper of fed, bank slots, inventory slots, character slots, infinite gathering tools. Its all nice, BUT you can play this game without those items.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

easy mystic clovers, easy completion for living season armor box (pve'rs have to complete ALL achievements for let say lake doric) to craft legendary trinket or ring. while a wvwer just select a different track and keep playing what they like. i am a pve player but i hate achievements + story's.  wvwers get ascended loot boxes and or gear, the only ascended box i got from pve was the jormag greatsword and tequatls hoard. (besides raids) 

So wvw has amazing loot because of... mystic clovers.....

ok.... lol...

Living story boxes give exotic armor, nothing to write home about, there's better tracks in wvw for that. Not to mention these tracks take 6-8 hours to complete.

There is no legendary accessories or amulet in wvw, only a ring. 

You want ascended drops go do fractals? those drops are very rare in wvw, and you have to sink a lot of time farming gated tickets per week to buy from the vendor, which takes a number of weeks for a set. Crafting is faster btw.

Guess we'll wait for the shoe to drop when they get to the gold per hour comparisons...

🙄

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

From launch Guild Wars 2 wanted to be different than standard mmorpgs. Instead of drops it offers achievable ways to earn special skins. Miniatures do sometimes drop from certain chests but some can be bought with map currency from heart vendors. Beautiful and unique armor choices are often earned from completing a list of achievements for a certain story arc- those are called meta achievements. Fishing has it's own unique rewards including armor skins, but you trade for it after you earn your fishing masteries. 

There are some rare skin loot drops, like infusions from certain boss chests, and of course you ALWAYS have the chance to find a precursor or named exotic from any mob in the game, but it's extremely rare. Some people have been playing since beta and have never found a precursor but that was why they are craftable as well. 

Guild Wars 2 has one of the least greedy designs out there. It's cash shop model is extremely fair considering what it offers in game. Even their cash shop allows you to buy gems with gold.
Nothing is barred to you. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

the game doesn't expect (or need) you to do anything and it is not wow where loot drops is the primary hamster wheel (and where you 'grind grind grind' gold/faction reputation and DKP etc or be punished as well as paying a sub)

For info this is my take on it:

I play what i want and when i want.  That gives me an easy 250 gold a month without trying, which is roughly 1k Gems a month.

Every now and then because I don't have to pay a sub i treat myself to some gems and buy what i want.  This also supports the game i'm playing at terms which i like. (I.e  im not forced to pay to logon)

If you want more faster, then Anet gives you more options than any other mmorpg out there, none of which is pay to win or a sub. 

Wanting your cake and eating it and not paying for it is the definition of greed.

I disagree there, as I can buy gems with real money, exchange it for gold, then buy a full set of exotic gear with runes and sigils, etc. I can also buy a level 80 boost, which means if I open my wallet I can have an almost maxed out toon within minutes. 

But what you're saying, is that paying for convenience (pay to skip) is NOT the same thing as pay to win? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I disagree there, as I can buy gems with real money, exchange it for gold, then buy a full set of exotic gear with runes and sigils, etc. I can also buy a level 80 boost, which means if I open my wallet I can have an almost maxed out toon within minutes. 

But what you're saying, is that paying for convenience (pay to skip) is NOT the same thing as pay to win? 

What would you be winning? You get to kill the same boss as an Elementalist instead of a Guardian? 

• Like 2

If you just want a ton of things to open in the hope you get something cool I recommend farming or buying unidentified gear and/or champion bags. Mostly you'll get normal equipment (which you can salvage for crafting materials to sell) but there's a chance to get named exotic weapons and legendary weapon precursors.

You can get both by doing map meta events, or you can buy unidentified gear.

I guess the greed will stop when the ignorance stops.

The highest value for repeatable WvW reward track is around 26g(this includes the value of the mystic clover and spirit shards). PvP version is lower due to price difference between shard of glory and memory of battle. Tracks take around 4-8 hours to complete. That means the g/h is 6.5g/h at best. Meanwhile the lowest for PvE farming is 8g/h. Lowest from fishing is 11g/h.

Is it so rewarding to get less for more effort?

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not really, nobody expects you to unlock evereything. You can unlock what you want by playing as much as you want. If you expect to unlock a lot with almost no gameplay, adjust your expectations to more realistic ones.

The current system actually allows unlocking a lot of stuff with minimal gameplay. I've been doing that for probably 2 or 3 years now. Mostly just selling things that overflows material storage. I agree on the adjusting expectations though. The approach works fine if you are aiming to unlock a lot of stuff. It works poorly if you want to unlock a lot of specific stuff and you want it unlocked yesterday.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

Yes the maps are beautiful, but it is an mmorpg game, that means a loot game. but there is barely added nice skins too loot tables. every (nice) skin goes to the ingame store. 
yes the game is free to play after buying but it isn't fully free because it's a fashion game and fashion is only buyable with gems at most times. and gems cost insane amount of gold for a skin (or the easy way money. but thats not the way for a f2p game) a few weeks/months ago when there was a new map added where you had to buy a gas mask to not die, the event was nice for a few tries, but it adds nothing. i mean, sure there are hundreds of chests at the end of a meta, that drops materials but it gets looted thousand of times so the mats from it are worthless in no time because demant or supply or whats called. further it has no nice skins in it.

it's bad. i am a loot player. the only ppl who get rewarded seems wvwers, pvpers, raiders, and fractal players. it's bad to me. 
i wanted fishing very bad because i liked it from WoW, but when i saw what fishing is in gw2 it is not worth it for me. i like to fish up mounts or pets (mini's) but in gw2 it's just the same loot table (junk loot) like all others, but then in the form of fish (same junk, different icon and name) in WoW i have spend hours to fish up sea turtle or other pets. can't you just add some nice mini's to the fishing loot table? also fishing in gw2 is annoying because you never know when the bar is moving, no sound, nothing just rng. so making money in gw2 is hard.
many more ppl said that unidentified bags are no rewards!

i think this is also the problem that there are so many afk farmers, because effort reward ratio is very unbalanced. and with afk farm you do nothing and gets something. the normal unfair way you do something and gets NOTHING.

if you start caring and add some nice ways to make money (if not cm skilled) instead of only want our cash, maybe it solve the afk farming also. i never afk farm because i don't risk a ban.
after all it feels really bad that the store is full of shinies (in a f2p game) but it cost so much gold, that i am forced to use my wallet if i really want something. but i don't do it because i hate greedy ppl, i am far from greedy myself. if i use my gold then i am at 0 gold just for a few skins and a mount skin. i sold a EoD legendary. but the legendary compared to store skins, the skins are way to overpriced. 

ohw and there is only 1 reward, that are infusions. drop is too low, further treasure mushroom, khan-ur chest. all waste of time, same for weekly keyrun, thats wasting half hour if you are slow. this greed is ridiculous. spending so much time (back then) without any reward. how can this keep going? or does only ppl who spend cash get bonus? magic find is fake. except with enveloppes. ohw and the weekly jade tech statues, every monday (or this time tuesday) it's a huge dissapointed that i again get trash loot. and makes me feel even more disappointed about the greedy drops.

also when i started disliking the game was when there was a 25% discount, the gold to gem price increased also with 25% so this means that there is NO discount, Except when you pay with real money, OR if you are a rich player, OR when you bought the gems when they where low price. 

this was my experience, it's an opinion or truth for me, i didn't lie. the drops are bad. i kept it friendly so no reason to remove it. 

Wrong forum, this isn't the new wold forum.

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

What did you win? The most you can claim there is you paid to catch up. That is hardly a win except for the most overly optimistic person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Paid for a lvl 80 booster to... skip the tutorial, I guess? And then paid for gems to turn into gold to buy... lvl 80 exotics for 30 silver each? Money well spent, keep doing it! 😶

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

story's can be nice but in gw2 i want to rush it because there is a chance for disconnects, and then i have to do all over again, some story's took me 45 minutes to complete (solo)

I fully agree that the odds of disconnecting in story instances are thoroughly kittened up and much higher compared to the ones for disconnecting in open world.

Someone once told me that setting Content Streaming in the options to Max could minimize the chances of a DC.

A different possibility is doing story in a group. One issue can be that you're the only person in an instance so the moment the server thinks you may have disconnected it closes the instance, throwing you out, even though you may only have had a short ping spike or something. Just having someone else to hold the instance open for you, helps in not timing out yourself immediately, making story instances a lot less prone to crashes.

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Paid for a lvl 80 booster to... skip the tutorial, I guess? And then paid for gems to turn into gold to buy... lvl 80 exotics for 30 silver each? Money well spent, keep doing it! 😶

So if not "Pay To Win", what would the system GW2 uses be called instead?

• Confused 9

5 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

So if not "Pay To Win", what would the system GW2 uses be called instead?

"Pay to win" began as a term for using cash to get a significant PvP advantage not available to non-paying players, or only available with a ridiculous amount of grind play.  While the term's meaning has wandered a bit away from PvP advantage a bit, surely it has not wandered away from "only available via play by engaging in a ridiculous amount of grind.

You want a term to use instead of P2w?  How about "Pay to skip a day (maybe more) of easy play."

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

"Pay to win" began as a term for using cash to get a significant PvP advantage not available to non-paying players, or only available with a ridiculous amount of grind play.  While the term's meaning has wandered a bit away from PvP advantage a bit, surely it has not wandered away from "only available via play by engaging in a ridiculous amount of grind.

You want a term to use instead of P2w?  How about "Pay to skip a day (maybe more) of easy play."

"Pay to not play" which is also usable for battle passes that let you buy completion of them. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

So Pay To Skip or Pay for Convenience, like Planetside 2 or ESO or WoW essentially.  

Edited by Gravitron.7982
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not pay to win? What specific name do you need here and why? Call it what you want, it changes nothing from the post you've quoted and refused to address. You're really struggling with these baits.

Just getting clarification on how GW2 vets view their game. GW2 clearly falls into a monetization category, just seeing which one vets say their game falls into....seems like a pretty easy question to answer, which is why I'm surprised GW2 vets refuse to answer it lol....

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Just getting clarification on how GW2 vets view their game. GW2 clearly falls into a monetization category, just seeing which one vets say their game falls into....seems like a pretty easy question to answer, which is why I'm surprised GW2 vets refuse to answer it lol....

Wait. You mean a business in the gaming industry needs to earn money to stay afloat? The audacity 😱 It’s almost like the people working for anet needs money for their living expenses and bills. How dare they charge money for a game we play in our spare time for fun. And sell optional items for convenience we don’t need to play the game. 

Pretty sure most veterans see the game for what it is as well. A business is a business no matter what kind it is. And gw2 is far from pay to win.  It’s pay to play with a free demo version and gemstore that includes items you can buy if you want to for convenience. Which gives no advantages or power when it comes to gameplay. You need to try harder 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1