Bladeturn Requiem - will there be any use for it?

Mimterest.4639

Can someone please explain what the skill will be used for if it no longer blocks? It does pretty terrible damage.. Like I can't think of a reason to press it if the change goes live. It was also very thematically strong for Virtuoso because Virtuoso has a whole line of traits centered around blocking and benefitting from blocking, and Bladeturn Requiem played perfectly into that!

I don't know what the issue with the skill was, but please revert that change 😞

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

PvP was the issue I guess? If they are so determent on reducing block spawn in PvP they should just slap some big cooldown on the skill. I really don't like how the balance team thinks abilities only exist if they are in PvE Meta rotation or have competitive relevance.

I don't get this at all - it seems like a resignation that the design of exchanging F4 for block didn't work so moving it to F5, shoehorn Distortion back in and then removing the block from F5.

Why not give bladeturm requiem distortion, remove actual Distortion and go back to 4 shatters?

I don't get where Virtuoso is going, the block was unique on that, maybe it could have had more function to supplement eg damage reduction, aoe control or something.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The best use now is pop it to get aegis from Bladeturn Refrain, preferably using only 1 blade. It's a waste using 3+ blades on it cause the damage sucks. The skill will need a rework IMO, or give its block back, but keep the reduced duration, maybe slap a longer CD on it so it isn't so obnoxious.

• Like 1

They gave virt distortion as a band aid fix because of some hard nerfs thinking no one would complain.   Just to nerf a core skill a few months later.   They obviously have no clue what their job title is or how to meaningfully navigate a game such a gw2.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, Mimterest.4639 said:

Can someone please explain what the skill will be used for if it no longer blocks? It does pretty terrible damage.. Like I can't think of a reason to press it if the change goes live. It was also very thematically strong for Virtuoso because Virtuoso has a whole line of traits centered around blocking and benefitting from blocking, and Bladeturn Requiem played perfectly into that!

I don't know what the issue with the skill was, but please revert that change 😞

they havent thought that far ahead 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, Curunen.8729 said:

I don't get this at all - it seems like a resignation that the design of exchanging F4 for block didn't work so moving it to F5, shoehorn Distortion back in and then removing the block from F5.

Why not give bladeturm requiem distortion, remove actual Distortion and go back to 4 shatters?

I don't get where Virtuoso is going, the block was unique on that, maybe it could have had more function to supplement eg damage reduction, aoe control or something.

I mean distortion > block but requiem becomes utterly useless unless we 3x the damage. Have it like guardian trap but I am certain it will be just removing the block and not doing anything with the skill. Just lame... 

Lame indeed.   Balance team over commits on 2-3 classes/specs while every other class suffers idiotic changes in a poor attempt at balancing a game.   It literally says Mesmer is a pain to the dev team, this is a constant reply from them.   They have no intent on making meaningful changes to several specs in the game.   If I have to elaborate this further to someone confused face you obviously have not been paying attention to things happening in game.   Take your troll post back to your own forums and kitten on your own class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F3 as a projectile is slow af, yes.   So far 2 of the bladesongs have been nerfed.   Whats next take away dmg from f1 and 2 remove distortion and leave f5 in the kitten state anet thinks is okay.   Will this not please you cmc?

• Like 1

I know this change stems from PvP, but holy crap this is SUCH a BAD change for PvE! Virtuoso in Open World has always been "kinda bad" but after this change it's gonna be straight trash tier.

Hey Anet and CMC, not every Mesmer wants to run their solo play as Staff Mirage! Give us some diversity for crying out loud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

And I complained F3 was  the most useless skill ingame because you can't rupt anything with that cast time. How wrong I was.
B.Requiem is literally press a button only to lose blades.

If they remove the block and dont increase the damage (Scrapper Shredder Gyro vives) or implement other kind of functionallity (like Illusionary Riposte  blocking a SINGLE attack a providing some kind of counter attack after.... like Full Counter from SpellBreaker vives but smaller)

If they only remove the block and nothing else, the skill becomes a long channeled skill that consume your blades and have no damage while you are stuck in the animation.... 

.... that will be the never, ever, at all touch button...

.... @Cal Cohen.2358 if that is the case, I may even unbind that skill from my keyboard just in case xD

Edited by ApaWanka.2698
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Kiro Kobra.6478 said:

I know this change stems from PvP, but holy crap this is SUCH a BAD change for PvE! Virtuoso in Open World has always been "kinda bad" but after this change it's gonna be straight trash tier.

Hey Anet and CMC, not every Mesmer wants to run their solo play as Staff Mirage! Give us some diversity for crying out loud.

Don't worry they have killed Staff Mirage as well.

• Like 5

So stop hiding behind pretend balance updates and literally just delete the class if it’s too much for a team of developers to handle so I can move on from this trash game.   Mesmer is the only reason I play gw2.  

Edited by dead.7638
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, dead.7638 said:

So stop hiding behind pretend balance updates and literally just delete the class if it’s too much for a team of developers to handle so I can move on from this trash game.   Mesmer is the only reason I play gw2.  

Please no, I've already played one MMO where they literally just removed my class from the game xD

On 6/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

And I complained F3 was  the most useless skill ingame because you can't rupt anything with that cast time. How wrong I was.
B.Requiem is literally press a button only to lose blades.

But it's very good at it's role. If you spam it off cooldown, you can make sure the virtuoso doesn't have many blades, so you can then take them out. It's called strategy, maybe you should try smelling it sometime. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Loboling.5293 said:

But it's very good at it's role. If you spam it off cooldown, you can make sure the virtuoso doesn't have many blades, so you can then take them out. It's called strategy, maybe you should try smelling it sometime. 

I think it's the answer to the people that made tons of posts complaining how blades above the character head were ugly. "You don't like the blades' design - here this button removes them."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

I think it's the answer to the people that made tons of posts complaining how blades above the character head were ugly. "You don't like the blades' design - here this button removes them."

You're totally right, this skill is maybe a little too versatile. We might need to nerf it a bit to bring it in line with skills like Druid Staff 1 & Underwater Engie Mech. 

• Like 2

virtuoso needs to go back to the drawing board as it is: overly focused on projectiles and so suffers from a lot of projectile hate. 
I do believe the block should be reduced even further but give smaller bonuses out of using it. Like, you become a mobile bubble that blocks projectiles. Or even if you gain barrier for each blade, once the barrier decays, heal yourself per blade used. 

Mesmer has been getting nerfs and nerfs without any compensation, and the loss of a block is another one to add on to the list. I repeat: Virtuoso's survivability will go even lower than before in all modes without massively sacrificing its DPS for sustain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I mean you need to be next level game designer to make a spec and have every single kittening ability a blockable projectile, and NOT see it coming that projectile blocks will make it utterly unusable trash.
Solution? shove unblockable.
10/10 game design, 200 years collective experience

EDIT
just out of curiosity as I have not played this utter failure of a spec since beta,
is thousand cuts still missing afk players? can that garbage elite hit something standing still or nah ?

Edited by Leonidrex.5649
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1