Do you Use Discord or Teamspeak or something else, when talking to your community?

Hi guys! 
I'm writing something like a bachelor thesis right now about Guild Wars 2. 

My question to you guys is: Do you use Discord or Teamspeak, when playing Gw2? 
And why did you choose exactly this Communication-Platform? 

https://strawpoll.com/polls/PKgl3woVJnp

Here you can vote! 

If you dont want to vote on Strawpoll, just write an answer below 🙂

Thank you so much for your help!! 

• Like 1

I just use in-game chat.

I have Discord and I've been in guilds which use it, but I don't use it often (and even more rarely use voice chat). I mainly used it when I was playing Pokemon Go regularly, my town had (and I think still has) a very active group for coordinating raids and events. I also used it during covid lockdowns when my boardgame group shifted online, which is the only time I really used voice chat - that was more practical because it was my normal board game night, just virtual. (Now we've gone back to doing it in person.)

14 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

And some are living like it's 2008.  

Nah I stopped using Vent and TS2 right around 2008, switched to TS3 when it came out, then dabbled with Curse's voip app and mumble, but didn't like either.  I ended up using Skype for a while, until Discord came out and that's all she wrote. There really isn't anything functionally better than Discord at this point for 3rd part voice comms, but those who don't like sharing their data probably still use Teamspeak. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Nah I stopped using Vent and TS2 right around 2008, switched to TS3 when it came out, then dabbled with Curse's voip app and mumble, but didn't like either.  I ended up using Skype for a while, until Discord came out and that's all she wrote. There really isn't anything functionally better than Discord at this point for 3rd part voice comms, but those who don't like sharing their data probably still use Teamspeak. 

Vent was the thing back then, I used it extensively for WoW raids.  I currently don't use any, since I really don't talk to anyone in game other than just in text chat.  Discord seems largely preferred.  Not a fan of the social media aspect of it.

• Like 4

I had TeamSpeak in my first MMORPG. Compared to Discord, with all its extra features, it feels kind of clunky to me. I also have memories of people launching airplanes on their microphones. I remember that TS had regional preferences in the past, at least in the EU. 

Really like the non-voice features, including creating own forums and even custom LFG tools which appear to be more flexible than the LFG in Guildwars 2.  

I've also seen the next generation communication platforms, which look almost identical and promise to be so much better. But I do not know anyone who uses them = no reason to try. 

• Like 3

Hi guys! 
My name is Uzu, I am a Game Engineering student in my last semester. I'm writing something like a bachelor thesis right now about Guild Wars 2. 

My question to you guys is: Do you use Discord or Teamspeak, when playing Gw2? 
And why did you choose exactly this Communication-Platform? 

https://strawpoll.com/polls/PKgl3woVJnp

Here you can vote! 

If you dont want to vote on Strawpoll, just write an answer below 🙂
It would really really help me out!

Thank you so much for your help!! 

• Confused 1

I prefer in game text chat personally. I have discord, but I don't really use it that much because I am not a fan of VC in gaming in general. I just don't like it nor care for it. I mainly use discord for when I do use it for just text chatting because I personally don't really care to hear your voice. I don't care if it is easier for some encounters. Text works just fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I had TeamSpeak in my first MMORPG. Compared to Discord, with all its extra features, it feels kind of clunky to me. I also have memories of people launching airplanes on their microphones. I remember that TS had regional preferences in the past, at least in the EU. 

Really like the non-voice features, including creating own forums and even custom LFG tools which appear to be more flexible than the LFG in Guildwars 2.  

I've also seen the next generation communication platforms, which look almost identical and promise to be so much better. But I do not know anyone who uses them = no reason to try. 

Yeah Discord just has better tools to create a community I think. Plus, you don't have to worry about server hosting, or have to deal with the clan leader running a TS server from a 10 year old machine at his house that always crashes because it can't support more than 12 users lol. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3