suggestion : provide account names for forum reactions when hovering above them

I think these forums would be much more sane if we could actually know who's behind the happy, sad, and.... the famous "confused" emotes. Right now ignoring who is behind them is a source of unnecessary pressure and tension among forumers. Maybe there are 10 guys who concentrate 90% of the confused emotes on the forums and nobody knows. And so on. Discord does that and it feels much better.

Thanks

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 66
  • Sad 1

I've used other forums which do this and I think it can help. People seem to use the reactions more sparingly when they have to put their name to it, and if someone always puts the same reaction on all posts people quickly learn that it's not actually anything to do with the discussion and to ignore it.

But I also agree that you can learn to ignore them (finding out I could turn off the notifications helped a lot). They don't really mean anything, partially because they're anonymous. 'Like' is ok, that means the person 100% agreed with absolutely everything in the post and had nothing more to say on the topic, but the rest are usually too ambiguous to be meaningful. The only purpose they serve is giving people who don't have anything to contribute a way to feel like they joined in without cluttering up the discussion with meaningless posts. But that could be achieved with just a like button - they just need to find a post they agree with and push the button.

(Edit: They do have one other effect. There's a mostly (but not entirely) hidden 'reputation' system built into the forum and I'm pretty sure any reaction to a post boosts the posters reputation so all those people who go around spamming confused on posts are inadvertently boosting the reputation of the people they're reacting to. But as long as the system is hidden in obscure menus it probably doesn't matter.)

(Late edit: having seen the rank system active on another forum that's definitely not something Anet would want to turn on.)

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 5
  • Confused 4

56 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Just ignore the reactions.   It's not that difficult.

EDIT: if forum reaction emoji things cause "unnecessary pressure and tension" then I'd suspect that something else is the issue.

Let's go that way then. As a matter of comparison, If you don't get along with your neighbours and if you just had a dispute with your friend, would receiving anonymous letters in your mailbox saying "i don't like you"  or "you're weird" and so on help anything in this matter ? I don't think my point is difficult to understand. No matter the context, expressing disagreement through anonymity doesn't help much in any discussion, especially in the middle of people already talking.

Not my life btw.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 21

16 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Let's go that way then. As a matter of comparison, If you don't get along with your neighbours and if you just had a dispute with your friend, would receiving anonymous letters in your mailbox saying "i don't like you"  or "you're weird" and so on help anything in this matter ? I don't think my point is difficult to understand. No matter the context, expressing disagreement through anonymity doesn't help much in any discussion, especially in the middle of people already talking.

That's not a valid comparison.  Disagreeing with someone's post is not the same as not getting along with a neighbor or having an argument with a friend.  However, in the context that you have provided, then yes, I would just toss the anonymous letters in the trash.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Well i could give other examples if i put more thought into it but i think you get it.

But nowadays many people see and talk to other players online more often than some of their neighbours, especially in apartment buildings, so it seems kinda valid to me. And some players actually sometimes end up being friends. Happens to the best of us.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Like 1
  • Confused 14

Why? Just ignore them. Totally unimportant. Its not a popularity contest over here. What use would it have? The only thing i can imagine is certain oversensitive persons could use it to track down people ingame who gave a Sad/Confused face here and there. Yes that is how crazy online/internet/online gaming has become over the last years. Getting demoralised by a Emoji 😅

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

One huge problem would emerge, A LOT OF harassment accusations. A few ones would actually make sense, because some users basically get confused reactions for existing. But we also have people who take those reactions personally.

I know two users in particular who would definitely flood the moderators with reports about bullying and harassment.

The moderators do a good job. I do not want to disturb their efficiency.

And for my own curiosity? I know my enemies on this board, maybe a little too well. I've mocked the reaction-system countless of times and used it for a lot of things it was not designed for. I do not really care.

If they cannot talk to me directly, they are not worth my time anyway ^^. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, particlepinata.9865 said:

Why? Just ignore them. Totally unimportant. Its not a popularity contest over here. What use would it have? The only thing i can imagine is certain oversensitive persons could use it to track down people ingame who gave a Sad/Confused face here and there. Yes that is how crazy online/internet/online gaming has become over the last years. Getting demoralised by a Emoji 😅

I actually had someone track me down in game and flame email me for points I'd made in a thread.  I reported them and didn't hear from them again.  /shrug    But, yeah, I agree here that putting names to reactions would not really serve any positive purpose.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Nah, I doubt that would add anything positive to the forums.
Just ignore them. They're just pixels in a forum about a game, so not really anything of consequence.
If inconsequential emoticons on a forum for a game are so triggering it might be time to shut down the pc for a day or two, get some water, touch some grass, reflect some life choices.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

It's an unfortunate by product of today's society at large.  Not specifically toward the OP, but too many people are too easily offended or find things that trigger or upset them that are really nothing worth the worry or attention.  The world needs to grow up.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Not my life btw.

A post on a forum is inherently an invitation for others to express an opinion on the post. In your analogy did you ask for feedback from your neighbors?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I'm not only talking for myself as well.

I also had another thread where someone ended up looking dumb by his own fault trying to criticize me while misunderstanding something. I used no reaction on him and tried keep polite but someone did. Now that guy has a single confused emote on his post and i'm sure he thinks i'm the one who put it there.

It's a source of misunderstanding and assumptions as well.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I also had another thread where someone ended up looking dumb by his own fault trying to criticize me while misunderstanding something. I used no reaction on him and tried keep polite but someone did. Now that guy has a single confused emote on his post and i'm sure he thinks i'm the one who put it there.

Why worry about it? That's his problem, if he thinks it's from you.  He could always send you a DM and then you two could discuss it or you could be proactive if it worries you enough and  DM him and let him know that it wasn't you (he's probably not worried about it anyway).

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

48 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

Nah, I doubt that would add anything positive to the forums.
Just ignore them. They're just pixels in a forum about a game, so not really anything of consequence.
If inconsequential emoticons on a forum for a game are so triggering it might be time to shut down the pc for a day or two, get some water, touch some grass, reflect some life choices.

Yeah OP, try casually dismissing other people's feelings, that seems to work for some people.  Don't forget to tell them to 'touch grass'!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I think these forums would be much more sane if we could actually know who's behind the happy, sad, and.... the famous "confused" emotes. Right now ignoring who is behind them is a source of unnecessary pressure and tension among forumers. Maybe there are 10 guys who concentrate 90% of the confused emotes on the forums and nobody knows. And so on. Discord does that and it feels much better.

Thanks

I'm not against it on principle, although I question if would lead to more sanity.

You have a flaw in your 90% theory. You can only submit one emoji per post and there are threads with over 10 emojis on some posts. Any major balance update, for example, gets around 50-60.

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I've used other forums which do this and I think it can help. People seem to use the reactions more sparingly when they have to put their name to it, and if someone always puts the same reaction on all posts people quickly learn that it's not actually anything to do with the discussion and to ignore it.

But I also agree that you can learn to ignore them (finding out I could turn off the notifications helped a lot). They don't really mean anything, partially because they're anonymous. 'Like' is ok, that means the person 100% agreed with absolutely everything in the post and had nothing more to say on the topic, but the rest are usually too ambiguous to be meaningful. The only purpose they serve is giving people who don't have anything to contribute a way to feel like they joined in without cluttering up the discussion with meaningless posts. But that could be achieved with just a like button - they just need to find a post they agree with and push the button.

(Edit: They do have one other effect. There's a mostly (but not entirely) hidden 'reputation' system built into the forum and I'm pretty sure any reaction to a post boosts the posters reputation so all those people who go around spamming confused on posts are inadvertently boosting the reputation of the people they're reacting to. But as long as the system is hidden in obscure menus it probably doesn't matter.)

I will you tell this clearly. A simple user name reveal is not going to deter anybody. If anything, it will incentivize the pursuit of fame and encourage people to spam emojis on multiple posts and threads. (You can only use one per post)

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's an unfortunate by product of today's society at large.  Not specifically toward the OP, but too many people are too easily offended or find things that trigger or upset them that are really nothing worth the worry or attention.  The world needs to grow up.

Does the confused emoji spam add anything of value?

Nope, it just spreads negativity.

Not very grown up way to interact with other people

It certainly is better to not try and get offended to easily, but that's no reason to create an enviroment that encourages it, when easily preventable.

And yeah, call me a snowflake or whatever, but on a bad day, it certainly doesn't make my day better.

I just don't see the point of having it, it just makes the forum worse.

I would prefer just removing those emoji's used in this fashion, but I think people would actually probably use them more in context if you could see who used them, because it's just straight up weird the way "confused" emoji is used on 99% of posts around here.

Ofc the confused army is going to spam this post, have at it lol

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

The "Offended" issue is not an issue at all but when there are some exceptionally good suggestions and they are bombarded with confused emojis just because it does not fit in someone else heavenly and unshakable  picture of the game ,now that is something annoying and we all know that GW2 got  plenty  "conservative " "traditionalists"
In rest is fine,at least in my opinion which is just one of many 😉

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

I've found that when I point out a flaw in someone's thinking the confused emoji gives them an opportunity to anonymously retreat from the thread without spending a page or more trying to defend and indefensible position or 'admit they were wrong'. It is a vast improvement over the previous system and if the anonymity is part of what makes it work for them then I'm all for it . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1