Why a delayed release on the new weapons?

12 hours ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

Whats up with this design decision to delay the addition of the new weapons to for 2 periods.  But why? 

I think they'll have a hard time balancing this new feature, so I feel it's best to do this in two separate releases. I mean they even did a small beta on just this feature; that should tell you something. Gives them time to (sort of) balance the weapon sets within each profession before they add the non-profession weapons.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I think they'll have a hard time balancing this new feature, so I feel it's best to do this in two separate releases. I mean they even did a small beta on just this feature; that should tell you something. Gives them time to (sort of) balance the weapon sets within each profession before they add the non-profession weapons.

that beta was a demo for hype. they use inhouse testers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, Donari.5237 said:

Maybe they want to watch the balance results of the elite weapons going baseline for a bit before tossing in yet another build up-ender.

hahahha anet waiting for balance settle in nice humor.

As most of this expansion they are just not finished is my guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Pretty worried they’re going to neuter the elite weapons in a lot of cases just to make the “balance” fit. This is honestly a balance nightmare that’s just going to create a lot of “dead” options, even moreso than right now. Despite being fun, it’s a pretty whack feature they chose to go with simply to avoid making new e-specs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I am pretty sure they could release the new weapons along the expansion if...they wanted to. I have said a similar thing before, but probably someone named John Hopson has been working for them. If so, it could very well be an approach to try to utilize our psychology/behaviour so we allign ourselves with the model "time is money".

You get sprinkled by some content now, and hey, next is "around the corner" so you stick around. I am not necessarily saying that the game is getting "blizzarded"though, I love GW2, but yeah couldnt help but notice the similar pattern😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

that beta was a demo for hype. they use inhouse testers

They may have in-house testers but some of the stuff people come up with when it goes onto the live servers still can surprise a test team. Besides, what does this team test? Functionality? Probably. Every single variation that players might come up with? Impossible really.

Not saying it wasn't for hype purposes also but there's defenitely data gathering going on during such a weekend.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Pretty worried they’re going to neuter the elite weapons in a lot of cases just to make the “balance” fit.

More likely a "detune" of the weapon if you don't have the  specific trait linked.

5 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

they use inhouse testers

So the in-house testers knew about the Catalyst "piano playing" damage numbers and still released it?  Unlikely.  Think of ANet as the ACME Paperclip Company and the high-level players are Macgyver!  We all have the same tools, to play the game, but some people see a way to use those tools in ways the developers couldn't see if you gave them a big torch, map and a magnifying glass!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Marshall Sed.8643 said:

So the in-house testers knew about the Catalyst "piano playing" damage numbers and still released it?  Unlikely.  Think of ANet as the ACME Paperclip Company and the high-level players are Macgyver!  We all have the same tools, to play the game, but some people see a way to use those tools in ways the developers couldn't see if you gave them a big torch, map and a magnifying glass!

They might or might not have known. In-house testers doesn't mean there is time to change some things before it gets released. I remember SWTOR and people playing on the test servers reporting bugs and imbalances that still made it onto the live servers, only to be addressed months later.

Testing =/= Solving

2 hours ago, Marshall Sed.8643 said:

More likely a "detune" of the weapon if you don't have the  specific trait linked.

I actually find this unlikely since they would have to add a trait for every single elite specialization. I think it’s much more likely they will just nerf the more powerful elite spec weapons, which is obnoxious

26 minutes ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

I actually find this unlikely since they would have to add a trait for every single elite specialization.

Sorry, I thought there was a trait for each elite specialization......oh wait.....there is!  And this trait gives you access to that elite weapon.....so they can play about with that and detune the weapon skill when not traited into that elite spec.  Which is what I thought I said earlier......erm, detune if not specced....yup, I did!

• Confused 2