Why so Much Asset Reuse Lately?

54 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I've theorized that the Branded riftstalkers (explicitly creatures not native to Tyria at all, and were branded in the mists by Kralkatorrik) may be related to the Kryptis, if not actually Kryptis creatures then used by Kralk to creature the rifts.

Oh do please provide the source you totally have of investing less into the game that isn't just speculation or a few players being unhappy. Hard evidence.

Reuse of assets, animations and effects.
No new elites
No wvw/pvp content
Only 2 new maps
Taking something that already exists and sell it as something new.

TLDR: selling LS as an xpac.

Is there a need from any more proof?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Reuse of assets, animations and effects.

You do understand how MMO's work right?

Every. Single. MMO. Does. This.

This is literally such a pathetic thing to flag wave about and scream how SOTO will suck, because it's not new, and it's literally not a bad thing. Bristlebacks are Quaggan. Mushrooms are apparently skritt. We've had destroyers that are explicitly wyvern skeletons and animations. Pretty sure the Jade Behemoth is a bear. 

No new elites
No wvw/pvp content
Only 2 new maps
Taking something that already exists and sell it as something new.

No new elites, but we get all weapons for every build instead of elite specs locking weapons, opening up new options and abilities.

WVW/PVP, Sure.

2 new maps of undisclosed size and complexity. You can't really say a thing about them until you actually get them.

Taking something that exists and selling it as new? What the hell are you talking about? Skyscales? Relics?

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

1 hour ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

This is literally such a pathetic thing to flag wave about and scream how SOTO will suck, because it's not new, and it's literally not a bad thing. Bristlebacks are Quaggan. Mushrooms are apparently skritt. We've had destroyers that are explicitly wyvern skeletons and animations. Pretty sure the Jade Behemoth is a bear. 

No new elites, but we get all weapons for every build instead of elite specs locking weapons, opening up new options and abilities.

WVW/PVP, Sure.

2 new maps of undisclosed size and complexity. You can't really say a thing about them until you actually get them.

Taking something that exists and selling it as new? What the hell are you talking about? Skyscales? Relics?

Indeed, except not in the selling points.

Weapons being unlocked is the cheapest thing they could do, unlocking them will bring a ton of nerfs (in fact Bladeturn requiem nerf may be a preemptive  one already, since virt will be able to use shield), and will close the meta even more.

Relics, Rifts, Skyscale.

Based on the past you can deduce what the future will bring.
Well, we'll see in about two weeks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Bladeturn requiem nerf may be a preemptive  one already, since virt will be able to use shield),

That one bugs me. If they didnt want Virtuoso to have as much defense, understandable, then remove the distortion that was just tacked on well after the spec launched, dont take away one of its original skills. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

And? You realize we're not comparing to other MMOs here, but to how it was here before?

Basically, sure, some amount of asset reuse always happpens, but when you see a spike in asset reuse, and a similar downward tendency in using original assets, you can start making some assumptions about resources being put into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Pretty much nobody notices these though unless you do a very detailed analysis of the models (I never noticed a single one of these examples in-game, even until now), which is what makes them so well done and unique. The recent ones though stick out like a sore thumb and nearly every player immediately notices "Hey, these Dragonvoids are just reskinned dragon minions!" the moment they're introduced.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Pretty much nobody notices these though unless you do a very detailed analysis of the models (I never noticed a single one of these examples in-game, even until now), which is what makes them so well done and unique. The recent ones though stick out like a sore thumb and nearly every player immediately notices "Hey, these Dragonvoids are just reskinned dragon minions!" the moment they're introduced.

And then acts as if this is a brand new thing that hasn't happened before. Even GW1 did this with the Titans.

People are screaming "Asset reuse!" over a single Forged skeleton/animation rig being remodeled and used for the Kryptis with not much else shown yet.

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And? You realize we're not comparing to other MMOs here, but to how it was here before?

Basically, sure, some amount of asset reuse always happpens, but when you see a spike in asset reuse, and a similar downward tendency in using original assets, you can start making some assumptions about resources being put into it.

And you've seen a very short clip.

Yet you know that there are massive amounts of asset reuse? Share these detailed trailers and area walk-throughs you have access to that hasn't been released to the public.

edit: I get if you aren't hyped, are unhappy, or are mad. But it feels like people can't be content with just "I'm not really feeling it so far, and that's fine if you like it." and have to have a big reason, so they latch onto the first thing noticeably off/weird.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

43 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

edit: I get if you aren't hyped, are unhappy, or are mad. But it feels like people can't be content with just "I'm not really feeling it so far, and that's fine if you like it." and have to have a big reason, so they latch onto the first thing noticeably off/weird.

Yeah, people are so ready to be negative about this expansion despite knowing nothing about it. I'm asking for SotO kill proof in 2 weeks from anyone dooming, because it feels like people already have their essays typed up. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

10 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

1 1/2 years of no new content after EoD.

oh you mean that year after EoD where they have been redoing all of LWS1 in a modernised format at quite fast pace for AN to be releasing anything, all while working on migrating renderer from ancient tech into something modern? (and quite visibly worked on alliances with frequent alliance beta tests during the period?) yeah sure that is totes not an investment none of it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, mandala.8507 said:

Yeah, people are so ready to be negative about this expansion despite knowing nothing about it. I'm asking for SotO kill proof in 2 weeks from anyone dooming, because it feels like people already have their essays typed up. 🤣

"It's DOOMED!"
"Why"
"BECAUSE!"

3 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

oh you mean that year after EoD where they have been redoing all of LWS1 in a modernised format at quite fast pace for AN to be releasing anything, all while working on migrating renderer from ancient tech into something modern? (and quite visibly worked on alliances with frequent alliance beta tests during the period?) yeah sure that is totes not an investment none of it.

Also active development of SOTO and such.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

After just seeing the map previews on instagram i must agree. Its cut and paste work of Hot, Pof and EOD. Many creatures also. Theres no creative design at all behind it. Cannot even call it reskins. Now i understand that there was no presentation, no chowcases, no quality trailer. Even Silverwaste and Drytop (LW S2 times) atleast had some nice creative design behind it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Snowflurry.4529 said:

After just seeing the map previews on instagram i must agree. Its cut and paste work of Hot, Pof and EOD. Many creatures also. Theres no creative design at all behind it. Cannot even call it reskins. Now i understand that there was no presentation, no chowcases, no quality trailer. Even Silverwaste and Drytop (LW S2 times) atleast had some nice creative design behind it.

As already mentioned, we will get to revisit old places in SotO, so it is not illogical to recognize their design. There will also be new locations with a uniquely new design.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

As already mentioned, we will get to revisit old places in SotO, so it is not illogical to recognize there design. There will also be new locations with a uniquely new design.

That is assumptions. It literary says its a preview of  the new places. And there is zero percent unique in it. So where are those great previews/showcasings/trailers  i must have missed? Like every other expansion and even living world had? 

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Snowflurry.4529 said:

That is assumptions. It literary says its a preview of  the new places. And there is zero percent unique in it. So where are those great previews/showcasings/trailers  i must have missed? Like every other expansion and even living world had? 

The statement isn't *completely" false. Like so much other double-speak we have been getting surrounding SotO, it is *technically* true.

The Wizard's Tower and its asset kit are definitely new. That's our "new places".

These previews just make me more and more depressed for the game. SotO is almost completely recycled, and there is absolutely nothing in this expac to suggest that GW2 is *not* in a low-development maintenance mode. I would have been much more likely to purchase SotO if they had just been honest about that fact (and also not kittened around so heavily with HoT/PoF espec designs).

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

36 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

The statement isn't *completely" false. Like so much other double-speak we have been getting surrounding SotO, it is *technically* true.

The Wizard's Tower and its asset kit are definitely new. That's our "new places".

These previews just make me more and more depressed for the game. SotO is almost completely recycled, and there is absolutely nothing in this expac to suggest that GW2 is *not* in a low-development maintenance mode. I would have been much more likely to purchase SotO if they had just been honest about that fact (and also not kittened around so heavily with HoT/PoF espec designs).

It would be better for everyone if they did that, just be transparent like when GW1 came to its end.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/9/2023 at 7:26 AM, Kalavier.1097 said:

I've theorized that the Branded riftstalkers (explicitly creatures not native to Tyria at all, and were branded in the mists by Kralkatorrik) may be related to the Kryptis, if not actually Kryptis creatures then used by Kralk to creature the rifts.

Oh do please provide the source you totally have of investing less into the game that isn't just speculation or a few players being unhappy. Hard evidence.

That is patently unfair, to ask someone to provide yet more evidence of "investing less" when we have literally years of content releases showing a consistent decline in investment, culminating in an "expansion" that is almost totally comprised of recycled and cannibalized assets and features.

The *hard evidence* is *gestures at HoT/PoF* versus *gestures at IBS/EoD* versus *gestures at SotO*.

If the decline in quality and features through IBS and EoD, combined with the recent string of announcements showing the rifts, the skyscale, and the maps, is not enough evidence that the game is not investing as much as it did in years past, *nothing will convince you*. Asking us to provide you evidence is an empty request; evidence already has no effect on your opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

And to get ahead of the doom-posting in here, according to the GW2 youtube channel, this video just features the Skywatch Archipelago map, which is the one featuring a lot of the asset reuse. We don't know what the Amnytas map will look like. It's just one map with intentionally reused assets from across Tyria, dudes. Let's take a breath. 😅

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, mandala.8507 said:

And to get ahead of the doom-posting in here, according to the GW2 youtube channel, this video just features the Skywatch Archipelago map, which is the one featuring a lot of the asset reuse. We don't know what the Amnytas map will look like. It's just one map with intentionally reused assets from across Tyria, dudes. Let's take a breath. 😅

I wonder if it will feel connected or not when exploring

Kind of gives me Crown Pavilion vibes

• Like 1