Guildwars 2 Hardcore mode

Sinister.5792

if you die, you can delete char yourself

you can find/play with friend, and make a deal if one of you die, it's char end

you can create party like that, and then make a guild

but no, let bother company to do it insted

Just ghater ppl that got similar goal as your

Thats how Farming community became, and so Raid Traning hub, RP stuff, and gryphon club, a Racig Roller Bettle gang, and many more

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

I have a 'harcore mode' character I've managed to get to level 66. The nice thing about it being a player-made challenge is you can set the rules yourself based on what you think is an appropriate or interesting challenge.

These are the rules I'm using this time around:

• Permadeath - If the /deaths count ever gets above 0 the character must be deleted. (It’s ok to clear their inventory, equipment etc. first)
  • Only white quality weapons and armour and blue trinkets (no upgrades allowed)
  • No food, utility items or boosters (unavoidable buffs like the lunar new year one are allowed)
  • No help from my other characters - no passing items, no crafting for them, ideally they can only spend coin they've earned (I estimate because I can't be bothered tracking it exactly)
  • No infinite gathering tools or salvage kits - it would circumvent the 'no help' rule
  • No waypoints, passes or using the Heart of the Mists or WvW for travel/services (asura gates are permitted)
  • No gliding until I get to HoT, no mounts until PoF, no skiff until EoD etc.
  • Cosmetics are allowed - if it doesn't affect gameplay then it's not restricted, so skins, dyes, minis etc. are all available
  • Buying from the TP is allowed as long as they're spending coin they've earned

Most of those rules exist to ensure permadeath is actually a challenge - I can't play it safe by waypointing everywhere and then racing past danger (or over it) on a mount. A lot of the rest could be 'automated' by playing on a free account and not sending anything from my main account, but to be honest if I didn't see them in the character list I have a feeling I'd forget to play them even more than I already do.

Each time a character dies I tweak the rules a bit, sometimes making it easier (once I tried doing it with no equipment except weapons...I got to about level 12 on that one) but sometimes I actually make it harder. If I have to restart again I might ban using the TP and require them to craft for themselves, but then I'd definitely want to do it on a free account because that's a lot more stuff to keep track of having earned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made a world completion with a f2p account without ever die, at my second attempt. Honestly, once I made it, I stopped playing that account, it's not even that difficult (the first time I died for fallen damage, as I rushed a bit a POI). Some vista or jumping puzzle (like in Orr) must be taken with some extra carefulness, but unless you also add story mode dungeons in solo mode, like Vallun did, it's not even a challenge.

Hower, while I would have said (and actually said) before the EoD's released that the QoL added until the second expansion were better than playing the core version, now I think that I would play a classic version of GW2. Let's say until HoT, so with the first 4 raids, but without mounts.

Didn't WoodenPotatoes do a pacifist run where he hit 80 and finished the core story without using weapon skills? Game's just too easy for a hardcore mode.

I'd much rather see Anet buff the mob difficulty so people actually need to learn the basics before hitting 80. The game also loses a lot of new players early on because the game isn't engaging enough, bit more challenge would be beneficial.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

Didn't WoodenPotatoes do a pacifist run where he hit 80 and finished the core story without using weapon skills? Game's just too easy for a hardcore mode.

I'd much rather see Anet buff the mob difficulty so people actually need to learn the basics before hitting 80. The game also loses a lot of new players early on because the game isn't engaging enough, bit more challenge would be beneficial.

It was woodenpotatoes as ranger I belive

• Haha 2

Not really a topic in gw2, as

- reaching lvl 80 is more a tutorial than the game

- most skip that going to the bank at lvl 2 and leaving it as 80

- most stuff is account bound

- equipment comes from the leg. Armory

- …

if anything makes sense it is a season where your seasonal chars cannot access account bound stuff (nor leg armory), but you can easily simulate that by making a new f2p account

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2023 at 4:26 AM, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

if you die, you can delete char yourself

you can find/play with friend, and make a deal if one of you die, it's char end

you can create party like that, and then make a guild

but no, let bother company to do it insted

Just ghater ppl that got similar goal as your

Thats how Farming community became, and so Raid Traning hub, RP stuff, and gryphon club, a Racig Roller Bettle gang, and many more

a pvp guild

• Confused 2

"Make a HC character yourself" 

I personally am not a fan of HC mode. Maybe I would try it but its nothing I ever wanted BUT making your own HC character is completely different than having a server where anyone in the community can join and everyone around you is also playing by the same rules. Not only is it much more fun conceptually but it would also bring a ton of publicity to the game. I would be all for this outside of "buy the game again" lol. Would be great for the game. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

"Make a HC character yourself" 

I personally am not a fan of HC mode. Maybe I would try it but its nothing I ever wanted BUT making your own HC character is completely different than having a server where anyone in the community can join and everyone around you is also playing by the same rules. Not only is it much more fun conceptually but it would also bring a ton of publicity to the game. I would be all for this outside of "buy the game again" lol. Would be great for the game. 

Oh so you want special servers shards for hardcore only well good luck getting any worldboss or meta event done.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:14 AM, Omega.6801 said:

No.
If you want to go hardcore, do so, you don't need the game to make that change for you.

Tbf, half the fun of a "hardcore" mode is figuring out existing but obscure game systems nobody cares about. Like map completing verdant brink no deaths as a level 2 (or as close to as you can get, I think I ended on level 7) - because of scaling, you can't physically do damage to enemies. BUT damage dealt by allies through a combo field still counts, so you can technically complete combat hero points this way. So, while this is impossible while maintaining a "no help" rule, the fact that enemies have increased agro radius against under leveled characters AND one-hit-kill make this kind of challenging in its own right.

I think the game has plenty of opportunity for self-imposed challenges already, particularly around low-leveled-in-high-level-area runs. I don't see the need for a level 2-80 supported hardcore mode.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Really surprised they never added an achievement for it. Using tomes and scrolls would disqualify you of course.

Maybe they would do if it was more popular. That's how the Survivor title in GW1 came about, they noticed a lot of players doing it anyway and added a title to recognise that. (Same with Legendary Defender of Ascalon).

Although I think in GW1 there might have been more consensus on the 'rules' since levelling up without dying was harder. In GW2 people tend to add extra restrictions, not just banning tomes and scrolls (although that would definitely have to disqualify you) but things like restrictions on what equipment you can use and how much you can rely on crafting. There's a lot more options for getting XP in this game so it's easier to do it with little/no risk and that's not really in the spirit of the challenge. If Anet wanted to make it official they'd have to decide which of those rules to enforce.

7 hours ago, Marikus.1875 said:

"47 posts"

This is how you can tell WoW is leaking into GW2 and I'm saying this as someone who came from WoW.

I am so sorry.

Post counts don't tell you anything about a persons experience with the game (or any other meaningful info). There's no requirement to join the forum when you start playing or to post regularly if you do, some very active players come here about once a year to update their guild advert or report a bug or something. There's probably also people who quit playing who continue to visit the forum.

15 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Post counts don't tell you anything about a persons experience with the game (or any other meaningful info). There's no requirement to join the forum when you start playing or to post regularly if you do, some very active players come here about once a year to update their guild advert or report a bug or something. There's probably also people who quit playing who continue to visit the forum.

That's your opinion, but his "47 posts" and OP told me all I needed to know.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1