Spicy idea for how 2 amazing games can live together!

Ghastly.3914

GW3 will have to be made one day, whether it's next year or in 20 years.

How about they keep GW2's world in GW3, you keep all your characters and absolutely everything you have in GW2 and you keep the same graphics, servers, etc. But expansions from now on will be made in the GW3 engine with GW3 graphics? The server will just load the version of the game depending on the area you load to. Everything from base game to SOTO would be loaded as GW2 but everything from GW3 forward would use GW3 character models and locations. Loading into GW3 you'll have less outfits, miniatures, etc, of course, but you'd be experiencing the new game without losing the old one.

Just a thought for us and Anet to think about. I think Phantasy Star online did something similar with New Genesis. Thoughts?

Please, remember this idea is for 10, 20, or even 30 years into the future.

Edited by Ghastly.3914
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

But there wouldn't be as much money to be made if you don't make everyone start from scratch....

Also what makes you think there will definitely be a GW3.  MMORPGs are usually considered to have an aging player base and not targeted to the prized 18-25 demographic for games.  Making sequels can be a tricky business especially in a bloated market of games and trying to be new or different.   How will a decade old game market a part 3 to entice the current and new players to justify it?  

Perhaps it will lead to GW3, and that would be great.   I appreciate the optimism that it will happen OP.

2 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

I'm going to have to disagree, I don't think there will be a GW3.  Furthermore, it is not in their financial interest to allow us to transfer anything from GW2 to a new title. 

Their goal is to have more than one title making the studio money, so even if the next game is in the same universe it would not cannibalize the income from GW2. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

Just a thought for us and Anet to think about. I think Phantasy Star online did something similar with New Genesis. Thoughts?

No matter how far into the future you cast it, the full-character carryover bit won't happen, period. It didn't happen from GW1, it's not likely to happen here. Aside from limited-time name reservations and a few cosmetics/titles for players who pre-ordered and linked the games via the EotN, no player-based stuff from GW1 carried over into GW2. Without that, what remains of this suggestion can't stand on its own.

• Like 1

As cool as it'd be to have Guild Wars on some shiny new engine that they're not having to rebuild constantly to try to get new features into, MMOs are such a weird market to get into, and I don't blame companies for being hesitant to release sequels to their currently successful/barely living MMOs. I've been waiting for an MMO Aion 2 to come out for.......a really long time now, and all I've seen is some vaguely Aion-themed mobile games and "Aion Classic" (AKA "launch" Aion but monetized out the booty).

Anet is hiring for some other project for an established IP, but I'm not placing high bets it's GW3. Who knows, though.

15 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

expansions from now on will be made in the GW3 engine with GW3 graphics? The server will just load the version of the game depending on the area you load to. 

I'm sorry to tell you this but that's not how game engines work. So even though that's a fun idea unless there's some Game-changing new tech in the future this will stay a pipe dream

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

How about they keep GW2's world in GW3, you keep all your characters and absolutely everything you have in GW2 and you keep the same graphics, servers, etc. But expansions from now on will be made in the GW3 engine with GW3 graphics? The server will just load the version of the game depending on the area you load to. Everything from base game to SOTO would be loaded as GW2 but everything from GW3 forward would use GW3 character models and locations. Loading into GW3 you'll have less outfits, miniatures, etc, of course, but you'd be experiencing the new game without losing the old one.

So this is path of exiles idea right?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, illuminati.8453 said:

I'm going to have to disagree, I don't think there will be a GW3.  Furthermore, it is not in their financial interest to allow us to transfer anything from GW2 to a new title. 

I agree that it wouldn't be in their interest to let us port over fully developed characters. It would be in their interest, however, to let us transfer a small, but desirable amount.

GW1 HoM got me to play through enough GW1 to get all the skin rewards. It kept some players playing GW1 to fill out their HoM even though the studio had moved on to making GW2.

There's some return in throwing a bone to your legacy players.

Edited by Gibson.4036
I still use my Fiery Dragon Sword on one character, and the Fire God's Vambraces on another.
  • Confused 1

I feel like they will just ride GW2 into the sunset, and milk it for everything they can. I don't think Anet will see pouring recourses into the development of another GW MMO as worth the investment tbh. If there ever is another Guild Wars game, it is going to be an MMO-Lite game, with a heavier cash shop, that just has Guild Wars in the title. 

• Confused 2

On 9/18/2023 at 5:06 AM, Ghastly.3914 said:

nothing against a gw3. but it sounds like a graphics update mostly.

also how much more they can sell vets who already own everything.

9 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I agree that it wouldn't be in their interest to let us port over fully developed characters. It would be in their interest, however, to let us transfer a small, but desirable amount.

GW1 HoM got me to play through enough GW1 to get all the skin rewards. It kept some players playing GW1 to fill out their HoM even though the studio had moved on to making GW2.

There's some return in throwing a bone to your legacy players.

u probably would to keep ur name.

and legendary skins without the functionality thats it.

better graphics always welcome.

but when look at new world one can see that even great graphics engines don't make a game pretty.

chrono oddessey in the trailer on the other hand looks like i wish gw2 would look

• Confused 1

I agree with many that I don't think GW3 will happen for the same reasons I don't think WoW2 will happen.

The closest you could get to that is ongoing developments and improvements to the engine which continue to improve how good it looks, plus perhaps new systems like weather etc. Anet have already been doing this with the push to DX11, replacing other old parts of the code base such as the browser, etc so its possible so long as the game keeps making money.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106