I'm lost - what do people want from GW2?

Hesione.9412

For me I have no problem with how someone play that's their prerogative on the type of gameplay they enjoy and purchase. What I find disturbing is changing the game to fit a narrow set of parameters that only benefits a small group of people (the vocal minority). 

Edited by Widebody.5071
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Both sides, arguably will have the same percentage of pure PvEer's just looking for their gift of battle. Every server will end up having them. Thus, you won't be dragging your side down, because it's a game of compensation. There's a lot of casuals who run into WvW just for the dailies and sometimes they get slaughtered. You're not hurting anyone.

On my server most WvW guilds plain quit for a week or two when Warclaw was introduced and PvE players flooded the maps to get it leaving no place for normal WvWers. Earlier Anet mentioned that each of the old three WvW Tournament events (that were aimed primarily at bringing in PvE players into that mode) ended up in overall reduction of WvW population because not every WvW player that stayed away during it returned after it passed.

Similarily, the first SPvP season and the introduction of SPvP legendary backpack, which brought a ton of PvE players into that mode... for a while, in the end resulted in a very significant decrease of SPvP community. That one year completely devastated the mode, and it never managed to recover from it.

But sure, it's not hurting anyone.[/sarcasm]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

21 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Reading the forums, it's:

1. The Gift of Battle is too much effort.
  2. The new SotO legendary armour is too much effort.
  3. The warclaw is too much effort.

All MMOs are basically a grind game. In GW2 it's different because you decide what your end-game is, unlike other games where the end-game is high-end raids. This means that you're not on a progression treadmill because you're not going to miss out. The legendary armour is always going to be there. The mount you want is always going to be there. But there is always something to work towards that takes time, because that's an MMO.

I'm lost as to why people are playing an MMO if they don't appear to want to play an MMO.

If you want to win at fashion wars, e.g., you don't need to do any grind other than getting the pieces you want for your wardrobe, and your dyes. If you want to RP, there's guilds and fellow players that want to RP with you as well -  your grind is organising your scripts (and maybe your wardrobe). If you're Choco, it's working out how to entertain us the next time the chocos appear (and I'm looking forward to the choco efforts for Halloween).

I just don't get the people who don't want to play, but want stuff.

almost like the internet is made of many individuals and ppl who are not happy are more likely to say so...

welcome to the internet. next stop ppl believe everything they read

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

On my server most WvW guilds plain quit for a week or two when Warclaw was introduced and PvE players flooded the maps to get it leaving no place for normal WvWers.

What server are you on?

On my server it was the exact opposite, WvW guilds teamed up and helped PvE players get the warclaw and it was overall a lot of fun in WvW and a good atmosphere. 
It’s just stupid to think that WvW players don’t want people to play the mode, shows that you don’t really play WvW or don’t know the community. I am happy for everyone playing WvW.

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

On my server most WvW guilds plain quit for a week or two when Warclaw was introduced and PvE players flooded the maps to get it leaving no place for normal WvWers. Earlier Anet mentioned that each of the old three WvW Tournament events (that were aimed primarily at bringing in PvE players into that mode) ended up in overall reduction of WvW population because not every WvW player that stayed away during it returned after it passed.

Similarily, the first SPvP season and the introduction of SPvP legendary backpack, which brought a ton of PvE players into that mode... for a while, in the end resulted in a very significant decrease of SPvP community. That one year completely devastated the mode, and it never managed to recover from it.

I thought they stoped the wvw tournaments because people got burnt out of having to play as much wvw as possible.

Here I found the link for you.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Whens-the-next-WvW-tournament/first#post6162034

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I love annedotal evidence as much as they next guy. Fortunately, I'm also happy to be aware that opinions based on anecdotal evidence are generally proof of very little. There's also such a thing as confirmation bias. If those guilds quit over that, my guess is they were quitting anyway, but no one can possibly prove that one way or another. The thing that cost Tarnished Coast a lot of it's guilds and standing was the Seasons, but since that was only my server, I can't tell how that affected anything long term.  And if I said I did, I'd be making things up.

Your arguments with me, and there've been a couple recently, seem to have resorted in cute one-liners and anecdotal evidence, in this case followed by sarcasm to imply I'm wrong without actual proof. It hasn't always been this way.

But I'll assume you're just frustrated and not respond in kind, because I have some respect for you. But your opinion remains just that, your opinion. Your servers woes didn't start or end with those events. Hard core WvWers who play all the time seem to have a foot out the door all the time. The evidence you're presenting suggests that maybe they were frustrated all along and used that as an excuse to move away from the game. Also, guilds change servers all the time, but no one really has a firm idea of the net population of the mode, because most people don't have a clue as to what's going on on every server.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:44 AM, Hesione.9412 said:

1. The new SotO legendary armour is too much effort.

Yeah. Just saw a topic. SotO armor is not even released and someone is already begging to make it buyable on trading post. So much for the statements "open world armor can be as todious and time consuming as you want, just give us ow lege armor". Xd

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Some people genuinely hate wvw (usually because they play it wrong, I think)

I think so too.

They aren't familiar with it and don't want to invest the time to get familiar with it. Be it from bad experience or lack of possibility or no knowledge how to.
But then they'd see that it isn't much effort to fill a wvw track.

Last week was the first time in 3 years that I saw players, in map and team chat, saying they're here for the GoB. We kidnapped them in our zerg and dragged them along  ;D

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

24 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

They aren't familiar with it and don't want to invest the time to get familiar with it. Be it from bad experience or lack of possibility or no knowledge how to.

This defines my limited experience in WvW.  I don't understand what's going on, can't comprehend the messages in code in chat and spend time chasing what I believe are objectives only to be ganked time and again.  So, yeah.  Not familiar and bad experience with limited gaming time that I'd prefer not to invest in a format that doesn't really do it for me.

I also don't have the time to watch videos or read web sites to get my build to what is probably more acceptable, so I most likely wouldn't be accepted into any groups that I might find there.

But it's all good for me.  I'm not looking to make any legendary stuff, so I'm fine with the WvW having their own sandbox to play in.  🙂

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Point me where i ever said anything like that.

Am I talking to You? No. About You? Still no.

Funny to see how defensive You get over a post that have nothing to do with You tho. Speaks volumes. xDDDD

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I don't understand what's going on, can't comprehend the messages in code in chat and spend time chasing what I believe are objectives only to be ganked time and again. 

The experience everyone faces.

Not just in wvw but metas too. They've their own language and movements and people are meant to know what to do. The game itself isn't that much helpful either.

I'm still at a loss about some PoF metas and SotO metas.

7 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I also don't have the time to watch videos or read web sites to get my build to what is probably more acceptable, so I most likely wouldn't be accepted into any groups that I might find there.

Most wvw servers have a community guild and many of them don't have requirements to join them (some want at least check the gear, so you don't come in with common gear with random stats - I passed a gear check with a rev-herald with the standard power gear in exotic, all berserker from the karma temple in Orr with cheap eagle runes). Many of them have ways to help new players. Some even have a squad once a week for new and old players that want to learn something new. Not just the people new to wvw but also veterans that change profession and have no clue how to work it in wvw.

You need to ask your questions though and you need to use a voice chat for that (mostly discord; sometimes teamspeak).

I feel in pve like you feel in wvw.
The weekend I joined an event of the (pve) community guild, I've been a member of for over a half year, for a meta in PoF and really asked newbie questions xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

My biggest problem is THE LOOT. There is no loot. The only loot = super rare. So basically there is no loot. No matter what meta you do. Its wasting time. No skins nothing. Fishing is useless, no mini’s, no mount skins. In WoW you can fish up mounts. But this game is pure greed. They only want our money. ONE mount skin is already too much asked. They dont design mounts to put on fishing loot table. They only add mounts behind rng that you have to pay for. Bl chest keys. Gold or cash. This greed is crazy. Their earnings are high. But their team dont even think about design a skin for a loot table. The only loot are infusions that never drop. Its only a gold sink. And yes precursors but thats also a low droprate. The most come from the mystic forge. 

And 99% of the loot in WOW is trash loot. The last 1% is split up on a table where you have 0.0005% chance of getting the item you want.  GW cuts out the middle man of mob farming, and shifts it to all the end game activities you’ll do anyway, regardless of how much you complain about doing it.  Theres tons of UID gear in POF that proves this point where people would rather sell it in bulk than bother checking on the off chance of a rare piece of value. 

This game showers you in rewards, but a lack of learned skills like object permanence causes SOME people to not be able to do the math. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Biziut.3594 said:

Am I talking to You? No. About You? Still no.

Funny to see how defensive You get over a post that have nothing to do with You tho. Speaks volumes. xDDDD

Funny how it's "people asked for this" when you are arguing with people that did not ask for this, and when called up on this you get defensive. Speaks volumes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

And 99% of the loot in WOW is trash loot. The last 1% is split up on a table where you have 0.0005% chance of getting the item you want.  GW cuts out the middle man of mob farming, and shifts it to all the end game activities you’ll do anyway, regardless of how much you complain about doing it.  Theres tons of UID gear in POF that proves this point where people would rather sell it in bulk than bother checking on the off chance of a rare piece of value. 

This game showers you in rewards, but a lack of learned skills like object permanence causes SOME people to not be able to do the math. 

Thats your opinion. I took a 7 year break from wow so i have 3 expansions of skins i could get. And the best thing is. If i buy last xpack and lvl to 70 i am strong enough to solo most of those 3 expansions. Sure guildwars 2 has some nice skins. Like reqium if i spelled it right. And there is no math needed because everyone have different tastes of skins they like. 

sure rng can be bad. I farmed black temple back then for shaman tier 6 reskin for hunter. Took me 17 runs (17 weeks) while on warrior i got it but was useless. 

(Challange) now name a guildwars 2 meta where can drop a nice looking skin. Already got the back pack from echoval wilds. Or whats named. 3nd zone of EoD. 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Confused 4

34 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Funny how it's "people asked for this" when you are arguing with people that did not ask for this, and when called up on this you get defensive. Speaks volumes.

Omega lul. But you are the one whos calling. I am not arguing with anyone, thus I am not getting defensive. Dunno what is growing in this pretty little head of yours, so I'll put it as plainly as I can and stop responding.

OP has made a statement about the community, I found a thread that perfectly fitted description of ppls from the point #2 he described in his post, so I decided to quote Him and write, that I agree with him, while also putting some well known facts for every person that visits forum at least once a week. Becouse it is true that before announcing Legendary OW armor, many ppls on this very forum were begging for it with promises that they will do any grind/gold sing possible. And yet, there are already new topics popping about how OW armor that is not even fully released yet is so hard and expensive to get, and yet again begging about making it cheaper/buyable/less grindy.

If You looking for someone to argue with so much, than make yet another topic about skyscale being too hard, or raiders being toxic or GoB being WvW only. And let me be in peace. I am sure someone will bite a bait eventually. Maybe even me if my day in job tommorow will be boring enough. Take care and cool down. xD

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

On 9/20/2023 at 1:25 PM, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

I once met someone that did pinata event for 2 years daily since release of pof and never looted it. I asked him about the infusion but he said he bought it from the trading post. Anet doesnt care about ppls time. This is ridiculous. These infusions are a mythe. But i also once readed someone on the forum got chak infusion with his 3 months old account. This is a big middlefinger to the person who farmed pinata for over 2 years daily. 

Let say you want a mount skin of 1600 gems. How many meta’s do you have to do to be able to spend 600+ gold for 1600 gems. A meta give maybe 2 or 3 gold. This is crazy. But addictive players never understand or dont want to see the reality. Or just spend cash every month for their lovely game but doesnt know the real struggle to make gold. And just make the exzample of just put gold to gems. And anet know that its hard to make gold. And if the mount is for limited time in the shop you have to ignore it. Or use your wallet. What most ppl do because they want to keep up with the fashion (hype) wars. 

I made up to 75g + kiting out a fully exotic character in almost all ascended within a day by doing all of the strikes for the week + Dragonstorm + selling whatever items those events dropped. That is not including any fractals or any other daily metas. What are you actually talking about saying you can't make money in this game? That is an actual lie. My friend can make over 200g in a week if he was really dedicated to his stuff and he doesn't even play this game 8+ hours. I don't care how people play their game, but I'm REALLY tired of people lying just to make a point. You CAN make gold in this game, you just can't make A BUNCH in one go. 

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, itspomf.9523 said:

May I refer you to this video, by ArenaNet, which explains precisely why?

Literal ad trying to say that "whether you like it or not, you should try our product!" aside, notice that the grind part can easly be about the one where you need to keep regrinding levels and keep getting new gear to keep up with the content (a.k.a "getting to the fun part"), meanwhile here... as far as I'm aware, any grind people are complaining about is bound to optional rewards not really needed to play the content they want to play.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3