Please get rid of forced-click chests/messaging!

Get rid of forced-click chest/message spam?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should they get rid of chests/messages that require extra clicks?

• Please stop spamming me with chests that require me to click on the chest and then an additional dialogue to collect an insignificant amount of loot!
    • I enjoy clicking stuff. A lot. I also enjoy messages that pop up every time I perform certain actions and block important UI elements until I click on them.

I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but SotO is just full of this design!  Every time I do Amnytas I have a ridiculous number of chests that have extremely small amounts of loot contained in a chest that for some reason forces me to click on it, then click on a completely pointless additional dialogue.  Why can't we just have the loot we earned automatically placed in our inventory?  Just...why?

Also, those "helpful" messages that explain certain mechanics like the one that tells you to use the skyscale dodge to make the floaty kryptis turrets vulnerable.  The thing is, they block important UI elements and they never go away until you click on them.  Can you give us some means of disabling this frequent annoyance or make them disappear after a few seconds on their own?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

They added the ability to quick-open bouncy chest by right-clicking them, then for some reason designed tons of new bouncy chest that throw that feature away to revive the problem the old chest had. 🤷‍♂️It gives an impression that employees come and go and the new ones just forget or aren't made aware of the things their predecessors had already fixed/solved.

There are also chest that waste your time with dialogue popup just to give you a useless karma bottle as their sole existence; why do karma consumables still exist? They were nerfed in 2013 to not work with boosts anymore, it's time to put them to rest. Just send karma directly to wallet like unbound/volatile magic.

I agree about the tutorial spam too, it's extra annoying that ignoring them isn't even an option as they never leave without clicking.

• Like 15

The funny part is that we are probably getting 1-3 users in this topic as well, who will tell you to just right-click on the box. We had the same phenomenon in the last thread. Which is quite ridiculous, but sadly shows how little people read the actual content of a post.

For the messages, I thought this was a bug when I have first experienced it in EoD. But they keep carring this new 'feature' into SotO.

What I have noticed from personal experience. If you write a good bug-report ingame and it is really annoying, they fix it within a few weeks. Stuff on the forums only gets fixed if it generates a massive amount of attention plus a staff-member shows up = once in a blue moon. I'll make a note and write a report about both later. It is worth a try.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but SotO is just full of this design!  Every time I do Amnytas I have a ridiculous number of chests that have extremely small amounts of loot contained in a chest that for some reason forces me to click on it, then click on a completely pointless additional dialogue.  Why can't we just have the loot we earned automatically placed in our inventory?  Just...why?

Also, those "helpful" messages that explain certain mechanics like the one that tells you to use the skyscale dodge to make the floaty kryptis turrets vulnerable.  The thing is, they block important UI elements and they never go away until you click on them.  Can you give us some means of disabling this frequent annoyance or make them disappear after a few seconds on their own?

With the "old" system it was enough to just right click once and collect all loot into Inventory (or Wallet).

With SoTO they now force you to right click to open a dialogue window and then confirm that you want that loot in your Inventory.

It is ridiculous how get one unID item with one chest instead of all of same tier which isn't like you suddenly get a free Ascended or Legendary item added to your account. I would understand if it was something unique like a special skin, a Legendary or Precursor or something special, but it is only unID, some currency and how much XP you gained from doing mete for that map.

If anything they could just had all unID be put into one dialogue and show how much XP you gained once instead of all those step by step dialogue that one have to open to get past and collect items from.

Considering how ArenNet actually put some thought into improving interface for crafting, one have to wonder why they thought this would be a good idea for getting loot from doing meta in SoTO?

At craftstation you can now see a small frame for where you are on which level of crafting and a click on frame instead of clicking on button with "close" will get you backup to higher level for crafting that item. Here it makes it easier to see where you are and at same time a frame is a larger area to click on then a button which you have to move your cursor to activate or use.

As for chests this design could have been used instead to display all loot in one dialogue, where you also would have the total XP gain (don't understand why we would want to know how much XP we get from each chest - a total sum would be as useful for knowing how much we progressed from doing a meta in SoTO) and what kind of currencies we earned.

My feeling is that the design of SoTO is taken from mobile games where each "reward" now have to be highlight with visual and audio cues. Force player to open chest by chest with just small reward have become the new tactic to get player to feel that they progress and at same time to slow down their progression as it takes time to open one chest after another instead of getting all rewards in one go (like those other maps have been changed into).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Still not as bad as Masteries' pop-up was for years.

Anet's UI team just loves pop-ups and nobody ever will convince them to add a disable option, they didn't do it for years, so won't do it now, if you complain too much they will gladly add more popups.

There are also other issues like non-resizable minimap (you can resize it just a bit, which is nothing on a big screen), so overall I rate the UI as garbage, sadly as the game itself is good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The game has always suffered from container spam. Though I would like to take this opportunity to express my dislike of  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Desert_Crafting_Material_Coffer which makes you select between a bunch of useless items per container.

Funny enough they have already solved this problem for some items. For example, for the skirmish chest, it opens a window that allows you to choose a quantity and the item you want. So for example, if you wanted to pick an item for 30 of the same containers, you just click that item and then type 30.

I suppose one could say you could just delete the boxes, but I think that receiving loot should not feel like a punishment.

• Like 2

Those constant "helpful messages that explain game mechanics" are indeed very annoying. And, as you say, block the UI. Another annoying thing in the new zones is the random voiced dialog pop up boxes that also block the UI. Enough already.

@ArchonWing.9480 OMG, those drive me crazy. Glad I'm not alone.

Edited by raykor.6723
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Or the oh so helpful “unlock this Mastery to be able to do that” when you so much as fly within 150ft of anything you haven’t unlocked the use of yet… that pops up and covers part of the UI every single time until you finally get the mastery unlocked… I don’t need to be reminded that I don’t have Leyline flying yet for the umpteenth hundredth time… once was enough, and I can only get XP and mastery points so fast…

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

And on a related note, I've never understood why the game needs literally thousands of different kinds of loot containers, and they always all seem to have the same Matryoshka nesting doll design: a pod inside a box inside a bag inside a sack inside a pack, and after you get through all of that you have 2-3 pieces of unid gear and a couple globs of globby goo.

This is not necessary. This is not entertaining. This is not respecting the player's time and attention.

If the drops can't just go directly into player inventory on pickup without the intermediate "click on X number of icons first to get your loot" step, then give us ONE BAG TO RULE THEM ALL so it will stack in inventory and stop all this nonsense.

Just because the Earth is choking on unnecessary and excessive packaging waste doesn't mean that Tyria needs to.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

You forgot the annoying speech bubbles that block your view. For instance, you cannot see the exclamation mark while fishing when NPCs start spamming you with speech bubble dialogue.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

20 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

And on a related note, I've never understood why the game needs literally thousands of different kinds of loot containers, and they always all seem to have the same Matryoshka nesting doll design: a pod inside a box inside a bag inside a sack inside a pack, and after you get through all of that you have 2-3 pieces of unid gear and a couple globs of globby goo.

This is not necessary. This is not entertaining. This is not respecting the player's time and attention.

If the drops can't just go directly into player inventory on pickup without the intermediate "click on X number of icons first to get your loot" step, then give us ONE BAG TO RULE THEM ALL so it will stack in inventory and stop all this nonsense.

Just because the Earth is choking on unnecessary and excessive packaging waste doesn't mean that Tyria needs to.

It would definitely be nice if containers that contain only currency or unIDs simply delivered those items directly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

It would definitely be nice if containers that contain only currency or unIDs simply delivered those items directly.

Honestly it's a little depressing to think that there's someone at ANet whose job consists (at least in part) of creating new kinds of loot bags and junk items, complete with unique names & art.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Honestly it's a little depressing to think that there's someone at ANet whose job consists (at least in part) of creating new kinds of loot bags and junk items, complete with unique names & art.

Not to mention the 9 people so far that chose option 2.  But I suppose they're just trolling.

9 minutes ago, Beowulf.5739 said:

Not trolling. Just donot care. As if it it such a hassle clicking on chests and messages. This has been part of the game from the start and will not change because some people get click stress.

Fair enough.  Just strikes me as something they're actively choosing to do and noticeably more than ever in the latest expansion.  I thought I might point out that it's annoying and maybe they will keep it in mind moving forward.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

cmon they need to sell invenorty space bank space bags etc

• Like 2

In MOST in-game instances the boxes don't bother me too much; if there's just a couple and then you're done for the meta, sure, no biggie. Octovine is fine because there's like, 2, maybe 3 boxes, same with Chak Gerent. But the Amnytas meta is.............. Too much. Waaaay too much. How many boxes even IS that? No, really, there's so many that I gave up on counting them. It takes forever and a half of clicking back and forth to claim all the rewards, and it's all just unidentified gear and karma vials anyway, aside from the very last box with the Wizard's Hoard in it. Just let me right-click to claim them, I don't need to see to see a giant popup in the middle of my screen for every 2 unids that get added to my inventory. It feels like satire at this point, but I'm sure not laughing.

I will note though that the mastery and 'help' popups can be closed without clicking them by just hitting esc, but that still interferes with other things (for example, breaking your lock on a target if you're in combat) so imo that's still pretty clunky.

• Like 4