November 28 Skills and Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

2 hours ago, Angesombre.4630 said:

Can't wait to see the other effects of the new weapons.

If the other weapons look half as good then I can't wait for the forum to be bombarded with demands for older weapons to be revamped.

Unique buffs and mechanics for each weapon would up the cool factor of combat a lot. I am worried about the balance side of things though, Anet tend to struggle with that.

• Like 4

I haven't posted here since last year, since that disastrous Mechanist/Guardian meta mess. Thank you for the balance patches since then, each class looks really fun to play and has something amusing to offer.

I had a Bladesworn giving me alac in fractal CMs today, I thought I was hallucinating. Whoever that was far outdamaged my nonsense hammerpowerMech "dps" which I play nowadays when I want to watch a movie and block people for calling me troll. And I think that's okay!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am still waiting for the day, when Spellbreaker becomes viable again. Since you have dealt with the "overbearing" bubble by nerfing it like 4 times in a row, it's been pointless to use, and combined with other nerfs to spellbreaker it has lost its place as a support. You see them every now and then, but for strips and control people better take scourge (which also brings barrier or AOE denial and damage), for damage beserker is the way to go. I'm waiting, but I don't hold my breath ...

• Like 1

Just wanna say that the pve buff to Ring of Fire (ele dagger 4) wont do anything. Power Warhorn will still be surperior choice damage wise AND utility wise (warhorn earth 4 and fire 4 are insane).

You obviously are aware of this issue so why are you so conservative about it? Do more. Or buff Churning Earth which would make attuning to earth viable again. The only advantage offhand dagger has is a little bit mobility due to Ride The Lightning. 

CmC please.

Edited by Omg Im Target.3095
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/9/2023 at 8:11 AM, Riba.3271 said:

Scorched Earth (Berserker LB F1) target amount reduced (from 25 to 15 total?)

Just make it 5 target, with a bit more damage instead. I'm pretty sure those high target caps affect skill lag as well.

Also that new hyena pet seems bad for lag in wvw.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Warrior

• Crushing Blow: Increased the power coefficient from 1.5 to 2.25 in PvE and from 1.5 to 1.75 in PvP and WvW. Increased the might stacks from 3 to 5. Reduced the cooldown from 15 seconds to 12 seconds.
  • Tremor: Reduced the cooldown to 18 seconds in all game modes. Increased the power coefficient from 0.8 to 1.25 in PvE only.

The decision to not use offhand mace in Warrior builds probably isn't about how strong/ weak the skills are but instead about what these skills do. An offhand that is a hybrid between power damage and CC is not that important for most Warrior builds.

• Dolyak Signet: Increased the base healing from 1,640 to 2,870.
  • Signet of Stamina: This skill now also grants 10 endurance per condition it removes.

Doesn't seem like something people choose these signet skills for.

• Vengeance: Increased the chance to rally from 25% to 100% in PvE only.

With this much of a difference between PvE and competitive game modes, perhaps it is time to consider a rework for Warrior's downstate #3 skill?

• Opportunist: This trait will now also trigger when disabling an enemy. Reduced the cooldown from 10 seconds to 1 second. Reduced the fury duration from 10 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Furious Burst: This trait no longer grants fury when using a burst skill and instead grants fury when swapping weapons. Reduced the cooldown from 15 seconds to 4 seconds. Reduced the fury duration from 5 seconds to 2.5 seconds.
  • Deep Strikes: This trait now also grants 5% increased critical strike chance against bleeding enemies in PVE and 10% increased critical strike chance against bleeding enemies in PvP and WvW.
  • Burst Precision: This trait now also grants 100% critical strike chance and 150 ferocity for 2, 3, or 4 seconds based on adrenaline level when striking with a burst skill.

The power focused side of Arms has been underperforming for some time, it is good to see improvements here. Please also consider giving condition based Warrior builds a second core spezicalization that is useful.
"Burst Precision" really should have been updated 6 years ago when the Thief trait "Hidden Killer" was buffed. It is nice to see it finally happening.

• Aggressive Onslaught: This trait now also grants 2 stacks of might for 6 seconds. Increased the movement speed bonus from 25% to 33%. Increased the quickness duration from 2 to 3 seconds in PvP and WvW.
  • Soldier's Focus: Increased the heal attribute scaling from 0.8 to 1.0. Increased the protection duration from 2.5 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE and from 2.5 seconds to 3 seconds in PvP and WvW.
  • Vengeful Return: This trait has been reworked and renamed to Stalwart Focus. Increased  the incoming healing effectiveness and outgoing healing to allies.
  • Heightened Focus: This trait will now also recharge all burst skills when it activates. Reduced the cooldown from 15 seconds to 12 seconds.

I guess this means Discipline is going to pair up with Tactics for support Warrior builds? The rest isn't really that interesting.

Berserker

• Berserk: Increased the duration from 15 seconds to 20 seconds in PvE only. Reduced the cooldown from 15 seconds to 8 seconds in PvE only.
  • Smash Brawler: This trait no longer extends berserk duration by a flat amount and instead causes Primal Burst skills to extend berserk duration by 2 seconds in PvE and 1 second in PvP and WvW when striking an enemy, once per skill. Decapitate will extend berserk mode by 1 second in PvE.
  • Heat the Soul: This trait no longer has an internal cooldown. Reduced the quickness duration from 4 seconds to 3 seconds in PvE only. Decapitate grants 2 seconds of quickness.

Will "Heat the Soul" now trigger on burst skill activation? "Berserk" and "Smash Brawler" changes will likely enable Berserkers to stay in Berserk mode permanently (in PvE).

I took another read at the new upcoming Profession weapons. So apparently, Thief Profession gains a new Identity and Role - Tank-Warrior Profession-Axe? L-O-L

Warrior Profession gains a new Identity and Role - Support-Guardian Profession-Staff? L-O-L

Anet once again, Please! hire me to put order and to set this game direction in the right path. Also, Please update my request in the next Company revamp and hire me as  The New Balance/Design Lead.

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

2 minutes ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

I took another read at the new upcoming Profession weapons. So apparently Thief Profession gains a new Identity and Role - Tank-Warrior Profession-Axe? L-O-L

If you really read yourself into that, then you would know that both warrior and thief axe have nothing to do with "tank". 

Warrior axes are melee and power focused. It offers no defense. 

Thief axe will be ranged (according to the Text, even tho a tp to the enemy doesn't Sound that much like ranged to me) and condition and power based, based on the offhand you use. Defense is mentioned nowhere. 

So where exactly did you get "tank" from? And if you wouldve watched the video and read the text, warrior axes and thief axe not even anywhere comparable. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Loke.1429 said:

those who care about balance and non toxic gameplay

So anyone who doesn't boonballing in WvW is toxic? Anyone who attacks you outside your blob is toxic? Whole zerg chasing one roamer and BMing is a justice? Where do you even draw line? You talk about balance as if having a knockdown on ranger will break whole game mode.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, SeTect.5918 said:

If you really read yourself into that, then you would know that both warrior and thief axe have nothing to do with "tank". 

Warrior axes are melee and power focused. It offers no defense. 

Thief axe will be ranged (according to the Text, even tho a tp to the enemy doesn't Sound that much like ranged to me) and condition and power based, based on the offhand you use. Defense is mentioned nowhere. 

So where exactly did you get "tank" from? And if you wouldve watched the video and read the text, warrior axes and thief axe not even anywhere comparable. 

"If it looks like a duck walks like a duck, then it is probably a duck"

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Axe_Mastery

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 12

Can I ask for catalyst to receive a passive way to regenerate energy when we have nothing to hit? AFAIK, ele is very melee-heavy and some times things just don't like you to be in melee long enough to kitten with your energy/attunement cycle. Something like Necro's soul reaping minor or Druid's minor. Or even a boost to Energized Elements. Idk, maybe I'm just bad at the game?

Looking forward to the Ranger changes and Revenant hammer. But would it be possible to make Revenant's axe 4 from moving the revenant through the target?

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 2:40 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Engineer

• Glue Shot: Increased the missile velocity from 900 to 1,200. This skill is now a blast finisher and deals strike damage to enemies in the impact area with a power coefficient of 1.5. Reduced the cooldown from 20 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.

Can the cooldown remain at 20 seconds? Otherwise Sword/Pistol power builds won't be able to proc Relic of Fireworks with their weapon abilities, which is the preferred power dps relic for Engineers.

Also it'd be nice if it also did Poison or Confusion damage as well to pair with condition builds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lalary.3561 said:

So anyone who doesn't boonballing in WvW is toxic? Anyone who attacks you outside your blob is toxic? Whole zerg chasing one roamer and BMing is a justice? Where do you even draw line? You talk about balance as if having a knockdown on ranger will break whole game mode.

Too much hard cc (and stealth) is toxic, especially combined with fast spikes. Especially when the games doesnt have diminishing returns, or proximity stealth reveal. This is also even more true when fighting in smaller numbers, without the boon spam (of stab) to hide these game mechanic problems.

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

I'll give it one final try in hopes of getting late additions.

The changes to Revenant's shortbow completely remove any consideration for picking Renegade as an elite spec in PvP (and arguably WvW, but less so there since it's not as heavily nerfed). Currently, the pierce is the only thing it has over Herald/Vindi, and even that isn't necessary to actually succeed.

I realize that nobody, both non-rev and rev players alike, enjoy/play Renegade and thus don't care or don't want it to exist, but I do, and I want to throw citadel bombardments at people because I think it's fun, without losing my mind in process because it's a bottom tier spec.

If you don't want it to be a decent pvp spec because of what happened literally over three years ago at this point (the renegod days where it sat in one spot and spammed 111 at you while being an unkillable god were very silly), then rework both its traits and the Kalla legend. Make spirits unkillable, let it have a reduced Soulcleave at all times since it has less disengage than the others. Something. Anything, really.

But for it to both not have a single niche/advantage over the other two, AND to be one of the worst pvp specs in the game is incredibly frustrating. Everyone else has largely recovered from the Feb 2020 competitive update patch, why haven't I? Heck, Zerk got a massive (and deserved) overhaul for its pvp traits, you can do the same for the others left in the dirt like Renegade or Firebrand.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

I'll give it one final try in hopes of getting late additions.

The changes to Revenant's shortbow completely remove any consideration for picking Renegade as an elite spec in PvP (and arguably WvW, but less so there since it's not as heavily nerfed). Currently, the pierce is the only thing it has over Herald/Vindi, and even that isn't necessary to actually succeed.

I realize that nobody, both non-rev and rev players alike, enjoy/play Renegade and thus don't care or don't want it to exist, but I do, and I want to throw citadel bombardments at people because I think it's fun, without losing my mind in process because it's a bottom tier spec.

If you don't want it to be a decent pvp spec because of what happened literally over three years ago at this point (the renegod days where it sat in one spot and spammed 111 at you while being an unkillable god were very silly), then rework both its traits and the Kalla legend. Make spirits unkillable, let it have a reduced Soulcleave at all times since it has less disengage than the others. Something. Anything, really.

But for it to both not have a single niche/advantage over the other two, AND to be one of the worst pvp specs in the game is incredibly frustrating. Everyone else has largely recovered from the Feb 2020 competitive update patch, why haven't I? Heck, Zerk got a massive (and deserved) overhaul for its pvp traits, you can do the same for the others left in the dirt like Renegade or Firebrand.

It might be in their agenda soon. But I think they also want to look how the new changes + upcoming new weapon will affect revenant in general. And from there forward look into renegade hopefully.

They could make kalla spirits unhittable yes, since cc is annoying to them too. Making soulcleave doing less even, don't think it is needed in current state even. I have some suggestions on renegade, but done it in a post some time ago😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

It might be in their agenda soon. But I think they also want to look how the new changes + upcoming new weapon will affect revenant in general. And from there forward look into renegade hopefully.

Scepter won't change anything for Renegade, it doesn't have the sustain to sit up close, especially without Herald's shield trait. It also doesn't sound like it has any cleanse on it, while staff has two evades and a cleanse.
The other changes are closer to a bug fix (slightly longer duration on Jalis roads stab so it no longer has a gap in its pulses) and a small amount of resistance if you take the new Bold Reversal. There's a couple Retribution changes too but not on traits you can afford to take, and even if you do, it won't be long enough to address Renegade having like half the sustain of anything else.

Scrapper gets https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Impact_Savant for free, despite having just as much if not more burst, more mobility via superspeed, a stealth to engage/disengage, isn't shut down nearly as hard by projectile hate, and just overall performs better in most areas.
I know it's not technically free, but it's a considerable amount of sustain for a build that Renegade, as a dps spec, doesn't have very good compensation for elsewhere.

9 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Making soulcleave doing less even, don't think it is needed in current state even.

No, what I mean is giving it some healing via fighting like Soulcleave passively, but at a reduced effect, separate from the legend itself.
Something like Impact Savant. Renegade took huge hits to its sustain because it had way too much, and needs some back now that DPS has gone back up dramatically from Feb 2020.
I don't care how it's done, but it's miserable losing fights where you get simply stat checked even when you avoid far more of their damage than they do of yours.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Shagie.7612 said:

Scepter won't change anything for Renegade, it doesn't have the sustain to sit up close, especially without Herald's shield trait. It also doesn't sound like it has any cleanse on it, while staff has two evades and a cleanse.
The other changes are closer to a bug fix (slightly longer duration on Jalis roads stab so it no longer has a gap in its pulses) and a small amount of resistance if you take the new Bold Reversal. There's a couple Retribution changes too but not on traits you can afford to take, and even if you do, it won't be long enough to address Renegade having like half the sustain of anything else.

Scrapper gets https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Impact_Savant for free, despite having just as much if not more burst, more mobility via superspeed, a stealth to engage/disengage, isn't shut down nearly as hard by projectile hate, and just overall performs better in most areas.
I know it's not technically free, but it's a considerable amount of sustain for a build that Renegade, as a dps spec, doesn't have very good compensation for elsewhere.

No, what I mean is giving it some healing via fighting like Soulcleave passively, but at a reduced effect, separate from the legend itself.
Something like Impact Savant. Renegade took huge hits to its sustain because it had way too much, and needs some back now that DPS has gone back up dramatically from Feb 2020.
I don't care how it's done, but it's miserable losing fights where you get simply stat checked even when you avoid far more of their damage than they do of yours.

scepter won't change much for renegade indeed. I meant they need to look in renegade after coming new weapon + weapon changes to get a clear view. 

Also you compare staff entire 5 abilties with a main hand weapon which has 3 (4upkeep finisher). You still have to pair support wise scepter with shield, now you have 2 skills that block and heal (with Herald traited cleansing also). If you compared shield healing, boons, potential cleanse with scepter boons+barrier support, it's the better one. You can apply regular barier to prevent damage and use shield for heal and so on. Trust me, staff+ scepter/shield will work ^^

On 10/27/2023 at 11:00 PM, Rym.1469 said:

especially in raw healing, between Druid/Hvindi and other supports like Hscrapper or Tempest is very wide and push alternatives aside. Evening it out could help.

The healing numbers should have a gap because of the secondary mechanic tempest brings. WvW Tempest should never be close to the healing output of Druid/Vindi as long as the aura sharing mechanic exist in its current form. That's a trade-off. The moment tempest has "acceptable" healing numberes, you might as well stack them. Plus, it's easy af to play and has large radius cleansing. 

Scrapper had zero trade-offs and brought something unique with superspeed and stealth. And they finally gutted it after dominating for far too long. Could arguably add some buff back as long as the superspeed and stealth stays down.

Edit:  it baffles me that anyone is confused by the fact that you shouldn't "even out" the healing numbers of WvW support builds when there is such a wide gape between secondary mechanics they add to the game. Druid and vindi don't spam out reflective blocks, damage mitigation that stacks with protection and shocking auras like Tempest is capable of (all of which are effects that are even more oppressive for smaller groups, large groups can litterally just press W and it gets even worse with kitten like shocking auras).

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/5/2023 at 5:55 AM, Siggi.3201 said:

ok so lets talk about mesmer. In general I really do like those changes but there are some issues in my humble opinion.

Malicious sorcery.. wouldn't it make more sense to have increased confusion damage since in PvE you are running full vipers on mirage builds anyways, it relies on three damaging conditions bleed, confu and torment as main DPS? Or the confusion duration of this trait needs to be allowed to actually overcap the duration cap of 100%. Otherwise I think that this trait line wont be a real option.

Also watch out that with the current changes to chaos trait line, that mesmer stacking wont be a thing. If illusions isnt a pick over chaos traitline then I guess we might see mesmer stacking, so mirage still on chaos, paired with heal chrono/staff alac mirage to provide chaos armour for the party, so the DPS mirage gets the most out of the new "chaos armor increases dmg" trait.  And speaking of that trait, people mentioned a problem with interaction on how auras are currently working and are not able to be stacked. If you dont wanna make it possible to stack different auras, maybe the solution could be that this trait will enhance the condition dmg for 5 seconds after you got a chaos aura.

I also want to address the inconvenience with the mantra heal trait. I would prefer a heal on channeling and smaller heals on using a charge. Currently, you either burn your utility in order to set it on full recharge so you can channel and heal again or you can't heal. And then were is interactions like mantra of pain charges, which you cant even put on rechannel without having a target at all, so in some situations there you want more healing out of rechanneling you can't even use that mentra because you can't get rid of the charges - water phase at sunqua for example. And since we dont have a heal weapon for mesmer yet, it misses some convient flat healing output.

I also read people argueing that bountiful disillusionments boon output is not linked to the amount of illusions are shattered. PLEASE DONT make it relay on the amount of shattered clones. One of the most annoying things about support mesmer is, that you need to have a target for a lot of its traits like alac and quickness, so at every fight there you have invuln phases, mobs which die so quickly you cant even summon a phantasm, boon output is annoying to keep up OR you are such a mesmer enthusiat that you have a whole build template and gear set only for situations like this.... which brings me to a question, am I the only person who would like a base 5 target signet of illusions for that situations? make it a fix amount of second for each boon like 3 seconds and dont link it to boon duration.

For the last point I want to talk about the master traits of the upcoming inspiration traitline. We are forced to choose between blurred inscriptions and restorative illusions which is a nerf in pvp for sure, but we dont get ANYTHING usefull as a mastery trait.-  a clone on heal? useless. reflect on focus? useless.  glamour skills in pvp dont seem to be used at all so also a useless trait in that case.

I actually forgot to mention blurred frenzy. Why not make blurred frenzy interact with the new grandmaster trait on inspiration trait line Mental Defense and Inspiring Distortion, at least for PvE?

Otherwise keep it up! I am hyyyyyyyyyped for a proper heal chrono build!!!

I want to add something which I just stumbled across. Why do we have two really bad heal traits? healing mantras, which I already talked about, but also the well trait. Why dont make it the same way as the dmg on wells work? so basically smaller healing pulses and a bigger one at the end. The current version of this trait is just inconvient, since you have to precast your heal 3 seconds before you actually want to heal someone and mesmer even with the upcoming changes still lacks reactive healing