[Future-proof for dev]Times are mature for mobile porting

Is always a pleasure to see you, all of you again, all of you that sided my journey in the gw2 for the past decade.

Im not a returning player, I can define myself a "casual nerd": when I am into something I give all I have for the purpose, that is exactly what happened with Gw2.

I don' play gw2 anymore for 4-5 years but I used to play long enough to having wonderful memories here. Memories that every Halloween season go thought the vein of my consciousness and at least one thought bring me back here to see what happened during this long time.

Why I write here? Because I'm still a gamer, i didn't stop playing in all this time, but I recognize, what I do now, it's finding what guild wars was somewhere else.

When I stopped Gw2 I stopped playing PC and started Playing of mobile. I find more relaxing playing in bed at the end of the day that switching on a pc (that have the same Architecture M1 of my Phone (iPhone 15) for a game session. I used to play games that remembered me GW2 like Genshin Impact but I can feel the gap in the game experience that GW2 Gave me. Still this gap is not strong enough to make me switch the pc on and playing GW2 again. 

With the new hardware coming around on mobile platforms and the possibility of customization of mobile joysticks, wave of new possibilities comes around.

Why I tell you this? Because I want to revive again the same emotions that GW2 gave me in the past, and I think I'm not alone here. I think a lot of ex players prefer the convenience of playing when you can along with your normal working day, and all the stuff everyone have over planning a gaming session and pianificate time for allocate it.

Teresa of Calcutta is also known as Mother Teresa. St. Teresa was a missionary. She used to say that we are only a drop of water in the Ocean, but even the Ocean without that drop is a little bit smaller.

There are plenty of drop out of there and planning to make GW2 crossplatform including mobile would have had the same groundbreaking resonance the World of Warcraft had the first hits the market 2 decades ago with astonishing numbers.  Guess where I was before jumping on GW2? But still I prefer gw2 to every other game I tried because of particularities that only this game have.

TLDR: I love gw2. Please plan a porting on mobile to increase the community catching back all the returning players that prefers Mobile convenience over PC. Kisses around🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 39
  • Sad 1

How the heck shall GW2, a game with complex controls, work on a mobile device? With what, something like a control pad? 4 buttons?

PC players will always be the win then and mobile players the losers, that no-one wants in the party.
All they may be able to play properly is their home instance.

I'm the opposite, I dropped pc games entirely because they got adjusted too much for the mobile market and that was bad for the pc experience. Like Gems of War - rip.

(If you really love the game you wouldn't have left)

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8

10 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

How the heck shall GW2, a game with complex controls, work on a mobile device? With what, something like a control pad? 4 buttons?

PC players will always be the win then and mobile players the losers, that no-one wants in the party.
All they may be able to play properly is their home instance.

I'm the opposite, I dropped pc games entirely because they got adjusted too much for the mobile market and that was bad for the pc experience. Like Gems of War - rip.

(If you really love the game you wouldn't have left)

It's more simple to view than explain how good it can be play with a joystick

Edited by Skorpion.4850
  • Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2

first of all, mother teresa is a bad example. She tortured people to death. She let people die that could be saved with simple treatment. She used one needle for many people, spreading infections among her victims. She also was very much against education for women.

All the money collected by her? Send to the Vatican. Also a lot was spent on her when she was sick.

In short, a despicable human being.

That said:

I tried a game that is on pc AND mobile. And boy did it suck. Really suck.

Mobile games are to real games what Tic Tac Toe is to chess. 

You admit yourself you have not played in years. But you still think that you know better than the people playing every day?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Indeed, not to mention the complicated GUI and all the particle spam that happens with any kind of group content (and solo is hardly free of it either).

A pulsing white blob of GFX with an enemy hidden under it somewhere on a 6.1 or 6.7 inch screen, added to the control issues you mention there, and the experience you can probably expect might look something like this:

🤨  😬  😮  🤬 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Strixxe.2019 said:

Im getting diablo immoral vibes from OP...  

Best they should just add steam deck support and thats it.  You'll get your 'on the go' gaming without that plague that is mobile gaming... 

I tried GeForce NOW for Safari on iPhone but GW2 is still not supported even with mounted joystick like Backbone. You won't be able to launch GW2 after adding it you your library.

Even the idea of paying months/fee for better GW2 experience on GeForce NOW plans is priceless compared to idea of playing everywhere you want (for me is priceless playing lied down in my bed, with my phone hitting me  on nose when Im falling asleep, everyone should try this feeling)

Edited by Skorpion.4850
  • Confused 6

Can't disagree more. A mobile port isn't future proofing, its chasing trends. Not just chasing trends, but chasing trends in a market known for exploiting its user base.

If Anet really wants to future proof GW2 they would look into engine upgrades that make things less CPU bound or looking AMD FSR or Nvidia DLSS.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Considering GW2's engine predates the iPhone, which is largely considered the first modern smartphone, by several years, porting it likely isn't easy given the mountain of technical debt they have to deal with. They can't even optimize for modern PC hardware, asking them to port and optimize for a completely different hardware and OS is a big ask. Even getting GW2 on Steam was like pulling teeth, and that was minimal changes compared to this.

It's more achievable and faster to stream it from your PC or through a service like GeforceNOW than to wait for native mobile support which, as far as we know, isn't even walking up to the table and we have no idea how long it would take to come to fruition if/when it got there.

I kinda don't have any real opinion on whether or not GW should go mobile, but honestly considering how most players are on PC, it probably won't go over well. Besides, you can already play GW2 on Mobile/Tablet using GFN/Geforce Now (For FREE) - https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-is-playable-on-nvidia-geforce-now/.  Decent FPS, but controls are kinda bleh. Definitely better to play on Tablet.

Also, you can play it on the Steam Deck as well.

The mobile game will definitely be more profitable, but porting an 11 year old PC game to mobile for crossplay is a meh idea. If there's gonna be a new mobile game, it will likely have to be a Spin-off and separate from GW2.  The only MMOs that I know moved from PC MMO to Mobile MMO are: Dragon Nest, Black Desert Online, Lineage and Perfect World.  EACH and EVERY one of these Mobile MMOs is completely separate from the main PC platform game, and does not support crossplay.  They are probably successful in terms of Profits (I  mean NCSoft owns Lineage/LineageM so they should know), but they are definitely not as popular as the PC game (in their prime anyways).  So maybe there should be a mobile game, but the game you cited as a good reason to move to mobile (Genshin Impact), was built from the ground up to be a Gachapon game with Waifu Lootboxes first, and an action adventure game second, so it makes sense to be on as many platforms as possible.

44 minutes ago, Defias.1892 said:

I kinda don't have any real opinion on whether or not GW should go mobile, but honestly considering how most players are on PC, it probably won't go over well. Besides, you can already play GW2 on Mobile/Tablet using GFN/Geforce Now (For FREE) - https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-is-playable-on-nvidia-geforce-now/.  Decent FPS, but controls are kinda bleh. Definitely better to play on Tablet.

Nope you can't. To do that you should go trough Safari inside iOS and in this situation is exactly like on iPhone, game won't start because is not supported. Maybe on Android is a different

scenario. 

49 minutes ago, Defias.1892 said:

The mobile game will definitely be more profitable, but porting an 11 year old PC game to mobile for crossplay is a meh idea. If there's gonna be a new mobile game, it will likely have to be a Spin-off and separate from GW2.  The only MMOs that I know moved from PC MMO to Mobile MMO are: Dragon Nest, Black Desert Online, Lineage and Perfect World.  EACH and EVERY one of these Mobile MMOs is completely separate from the main PC platform game, and does not support crossplay.  

I tried many of the games you quoted but are way way worse the the original counterparts starting from diablo immortal, you will find yourself losing interest in a couple of playing week.

Having an M1 dedicated app since a lot of competitors had theirs native app (FFXIV and WOW) set the basis for the porting since the architecture will be the same then. But I Agree the working time behind this is no joke, but what about the profit? Isn't every game out for profit? How the profit will be for NCSOF in the GW2? 

• Confused 2

Exactly dude. Mobile games make alot of cash because children and irresponsible adults make lots of money on it.  If it was profitable to turn a PC MMO into a Mobile MMO WoW and FF14 would have done it already.  Instead, they make spin-off games like Hearthstone, Warcraft Rumble, FF Brave Exvius/Ever Crisis. Mobile games that are based in the same universe.

But I think you are asking for Mac/iOS support?  And in that regard, you have to realize that most of the world is on Android and Windows and that they are using Nvidia Graphics Cards and Intel CPUs - https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey.  There isn't really much reason to develop compatibility for some new architecture on an 11 year old game, especially if so few people use it.

Edited by Defias.1892
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Defias.1892 said:

Exactly dude. Mobile games make alot of cash because children and irresponsible adults make lots of money on it.  If it was profitable to turn a PC MMO into a Mobile MMO WoW and FF14 would have done it already.  Instead, they make spin-off games like Hearthstone, Warcraft Rumble, FF Brave Exvius/Ever Crisis. Mobile games that are based in the same universe.

But I think you are asking for Mac/iOS support?  And in that regard, you have to realize that most of the world is on Android and Windows and that they are using Nvidia Graphics Cards and Intel CPUs - https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey.  There isn't really much reason to develop compatibility for some new architecture on an 11 year old game, especially if so few people use it.

Just a quick clarification, the game had Mac support from launch. It discontinued it a few years ago. Not that it invalidates what you are say8ng of course