Essences are another Economy failure.

Rauderi.8706

Essences and Motivations are a bad loop that is very obviously about bolstering (some) material prices and giving little in return. Motivations mostly just give more Essences which are used to loop in more Essences and materials. 

For an extra dose of Feels Bad, there's no way to get rid of Despair without using Ecto (the one-time collections don't count) or just throwing them away. They're basically Ascended materials all over again, and we eventually got eater items for those. Devs neglected to put in an appropriate sink for them. 

As players finish up armors, there's going to be no reason to gather them anymore. The cost of Ecto and Research Notes (speaking of economy failures...) already makes the bar really high on how much Motivations are worth to use. There needs to be an appropriate sink that isn't part of some convoluted chemistry to make use of them. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I have 2 leggy armour sets and some currency stashed for the third one in all 3 modes (it will come from one of the existing modes, depends on what Ill play most in the future). I'm only semi interested in skins in general. These essences are pilling up like crazy without any intentional farming. They are overflowing my material storage, clogging bank and inventories.

I understand they needed a specific currency for this. But at least they could make the amounts sensible or make it a wallet currency and not a material that we need in stacks. 

• Like 10

The could be an 15 days event , with  the "new player experience" , where people could start a new character (hopefully in new expansion) and could opt with goggles to see evertyhing darker and see hidden enemies (mashrooms) that drop extra Essense + chance for items  that transform personal Essence into gold in the Mystic Toilet.

And people wearing glasses , allows other no-gogle-users to see semi-transparrent enemies and be allowed by an F1 to participate

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Turn them into motivations and sell them 

Unfortunately the profit vs cost of crafting the motivations is now pretty low. Looking at the crafting cost of the rare motivations on efficiency for example: adding in the cost of the research notes for each tier of motivation needed to make 1 (which efficiency doesn't appear to factor in, we'll say each research note is approximately 1 silver), it looks like the cost to craft is currently around 3.9 gold total for 1 Rare Motivation. The buy orders are currently about 3.5g and the listed ones are at 4.17, so filling the buy orders is a loss and selling by listing (factoring in the list and exchange fee) brings it down to about the same. The Uncommon motivations cost vs profit look to be pretty similar. 

So unfortunately unless you're working on the legendary armor the currency doesn't currently seem to have much value.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

The legendary relic is the reason I'm not throwing them away just yet, although I don't think they will be needed (cause they also took the 6th rune bonus from ppl with legendary runes who have not purchased Soto, so to not have ppl go haywire they most likely don't include them - or can you get them also in the core maps from rifts if you don't own Soto? In that case ye, most likely needed)

In general they are about as useful as hatched chili or prismaticite crystals - if you don't want or need the armor.

Edited by Minna.7895
chili
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, CoffeePlease.3082 said:

Unfortunately the profit vs cost of crafting the motivations is now pretty low. Looking at the crafting cost of the rare motivations on efficiency for example: adding in the cost of the research notes for each tier of motivation needed to make 1 (which efficiency doesn't appear to factor in, we'll say each research note is approximately 1 silver), it looks like the cost to craft is currently around 3.9 gold total for 1 Rare Motivation. The buy orders are currently about 3.5g and the listed ones are at 4.17, so filling the buy orders is a loss and selling by listing (factoring in the list and exchange fee) brings it down to about the same. The Uncommon motivations cost vs profit look to be pretty similar. 

So unfortunately unless you're working on the legendary armor the currency doesn't currently seem to have much value.

31 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

You need to invest additonal resources such as Research Notes to craft them. Not particularly convenient.

Agree with both of you that it's not a great investment, but if you're rolling in essences, you're probably comfortably set with research notes as well.  I would hope they will add more items to craft or purchase with them.  With that, what would anyone like to see, besides a gobbler?  

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

14 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

but if you're rolling in essences, you're probably comfortably set with research notes as well.

Uhm, I don't see the correlation. :classic_huh:

15 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

what would anyone like to see, besides a gobbler?  

Classic armor skins from GW1.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

53 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

I fear I will need a lot of them for my leg relict, but no clue what it will need. 

This ....
If it weren't for the complete black box that is Legendary Relic crafting, I would dump them like Chilis and Prismaticite. But it is roughly 100 more days until we will get the patch which includes the Legendary relic, right? Or is that in the final patch of SotO?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 5:36 AM, Cuks.8241 said:

These essences are pilling up like crazy without any intentional farming. They are overflowing my material storage, clogging bank and inventories.

I understand they needed a specific currency for this. But at least they could make the amounts sensible or make it a wallet currency and not a material that we need in stacks. 

Or at least a "refinement" of some sort, e.g. combine 5/10/50/100/250 (whatever quantity makes sense) Essences of Despair --> 1 Concentrated Essence of Despair or something,   A no-cost refinement like what we have for basic wood/ore.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't open any chests/etc. containing essences to help with inventory management. 

I've started doing this. My bank is ugly with essences right now. Wishing Anet will add an NPC or item to use up essences in a satisfying way. Making motivations isn't quite it because of the non-essence materials cost. It doesn't feel profitable really, but rather like I'm just cycling them into something to get rid of them. It feels one step better than deleting them outright.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:17 AM, Dayra.7405 said:

I fear I will need a lot of them for my leg relict, but no clue what it will need. 

I'm hoping I'll need a lot of them for leggy relic, just so they'll have a use . . .

I think the current situation is the result of an overcorrection. Remember before convergences everyone was complaining about how few essences you get from rifts and how many were going to be needed for the armor, then anet just started flinging essences at us en masse from convergences . . .

2 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I'm hoping I'll need a lot of them for leggy relic, just so they'll have a use . . .

... and if we don't need them, I hope ANet has a way to count the countless stacks I (and probably so many others) delete, because I see no use in them. 😂

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

... and if we don't need them, I hope ANet has a way to count the countless stacks I (and probably so many others) delete, because I see no use in them. 😂

You threw them away so why should they keep track of it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

One character slot to store all the essences. 

One character slot to store all the relics. 

Gotta sell those somehow. 🧠💰

Dont forget the 2-3 to store essence of luck until each lunar new year 😜

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1