Glider Abilities in SotO

Zigg E.1086

Ok why did they feel the need to move the Glider bloodstone abilities around? There where fine in the main weapon slot. So you moved them and still leave the weapon abilities glider in the air? how does that make sense. Do you guys even quality check things anymore or you are you starting to get like every other MMO and just worry about pumping out the next thing. I used to sing praise for GW2 and as of late if starting to feel like all other MMOs this is very conserning cause ultimatly this is still a amazing game but your starting to slack.

• Like 12
  • Confused 5

Heh, funny actually. I thought that something was off with these but couldn't put my finger on it. Just tested it, it's unchanged in Bloodstone Fen and on utility keys in Soto. And one ability is missing. Wonder what's the reason unless they really just borked it.

• Like 8

I noticed this right away mainly because I find it way easier to use them in their original position, and it's not like you can use weapon skills while you're gliding anyway so it doesn't make much sense to keep them 'available.' It seems like a really weird choice to change that with this expansion when they were just fine where they were... Not to mention the general awkwardness of the skill placement being inconsistent between maps now. It still works the same in Dragon's End, too, so it's just SotO maps that moved them for no discernible reason.

It might seem like a weird gripe to have, but moving them to the utility keys just to put unusable weapon skills back in place seems kind of pointless. I might understand it more if something new was being introduced to replace weapon skills while in the air, but even then it'd make more sense to keep the Bloodstone Fen skills where they were and just add more utilities in the remaining open slots, like they already did with the jade bot glider module. But hey, that's just my two cents.

• Like 4

I didn't realise they'd moved (I can't remember the last time I was in Bloodstone Fen) but it's made me realise I have a very silly problem with muscle memory and my keybinds. When I'm using my characters normal utility skills I never have trouble remembering that the first utility skill is on number pad 6, not 7. But if the utilities are replaced with anything else I go back to thinking of it as 'skill 7' and then I hit the wrong button.

Other than that I don't really mind which skills they're on, but I agree it should be the same for all the maps where they're used.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Soto has some events where you have to pick up items and deliver them to an NPC (like the one where you have to brin relics to Livia in Amnytas).
You can throw these items and you can throw them when gliding.

In other words, sometimes we do already have a weapon skill 1 when gliding. Leaving the bloodstone skills on weapon slots would make problems.
So they moved the bloodstone skills to slot 7-0. This way we can use them while not getting trouble with any event.

In other words, it was a trade off to make these skills accessible to us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Soto has some events where you have to pick up items and deliver them to an NPC (like the one where you have to brin relics to Livia in Amnytas).
You can throw these items and you can throw them when gliding.

In other words, sometimes we do already have a weapon skill 1 when gliding. Leaving the bloodstone skills on weapon slots would make problems.
So they moved the bloodstone skills to slot 7-0. This way we can use them while not getting trouble with any event.

In other words, it was a trade off to make these skills accessible to us.

The action button would have solved that

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/7/2023 at 3:12 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

The action button would have solved that

I thought about that too, but in the end it would make things even worse.

When you pick up an item, their skills are always on weapon slots, since release. It would be horrible to change this (only) on Soto maps.
Putting it on the special action skill only when gliding would make it even worse.
It would break the consistency much more than just putting the gliding skills to slot 7-0.

Plus we always have access to EMP special action skill from the Waystation.
That thing already is a hell of a mess as soon as the game gives you a special action skill automatically.

So by putting the picked up item skill on special action slot, they would break the consistency of a system that is used for 11 years on almost every map and they would mess around even more with the special action key. Plus it affects players who don't have the glider skills.
By doing it the way they did it, they break the consistency of a few skills that are used on only 3 other maps. Plus it only affects players wo actually have the glider skills.

They had to break consistency to enable gliding skills on Soto maps, no matter what they do.
I think it's obvious that the way they did it is the better option.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

When you pick up an item, their skills are always on weapon slots, since release. It would be horrible to change this (only) on Soto maps.
Putting it on the special action skill only when gliding would make it even worse.
It would break the consistency much more than just putting the gliding skills to slot 7-0.

That thing already is a hell of a mess as soon as the game gives you a special action skill automatically.

So by putting the picked up item skill on special action slot, they would break the consistency of a system that is used for 11 years on almost every map and they would mess around even more with the special action key. Plus it affects players who don't have the glider skills.
By doing it the way they did it, they break the consistency of a few skills that are used on only 3 other maps. Plus it only affects players wo actually have the glider skills.

They had to break consistency to enable gliding skills on Soto maps, no matter what they do.

Then the answer is to redesign the event so that it doesn't require pick ups. Or like some of the other events, pick ups become a temp hand in item like they do in some core events. 

Changing the glider skills to a different place was never the correct answer

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Then the answer is to redesign the event so that it doesn't require pick ups. Or like some of the other events, pick ups become a temp hand in item like they do in some core events. 

Again, it would break the consistency of 11 years of an often used system.
Widespread and long used systems shouldn't change just to add a nice feature.

No, if you want to add a neat bonus, you have to make sure that bonus fits into the world. Not make the world fit around the bonus.

3 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Changing the glider skills to a different place was never the correct answer

It is the best answer.

Utility slots when gliding were never used until EoD. With EoD only skill 6 were used. Skill 7-0 always are free no matter where you are or what you do.
By putting the bloodstone skills to slot 7-0, you could implement them (theoretically) on any map wherever you want.
By leaving them at slot 1-5, you see what problems occoured.

What they should do - to keep the consistency - is to put the skills on slot 7-0 for Bloodstone Fen, Lake Doric and Dragons End as well.

(I know the dodge skill is missing, but let's be honest, it's not a loss.)

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I never noticed this; I do like the skills better on the utility side vs the weapon skill slots. I would say they just change all to the utility side and move the dogfight or flight to the dodge and add an internal cooldown for the healing so that you get stealth from the masteries and healing from the skill. I would like for them to add these skills for use on all maps not just LW3, certain EOD encounters, and SoTO. Main reason for me saying keep on the utility side is there are other encounters  i.e. The Shatterer, Siren's Landing, Dragon Stand, and Octovine which us airborne mechanics as well as the forementioned bring relics to Livia in Amnytas. Reason I do not agree with moving the items for Livia to the Special action key is there is already special actions used on several maps and the event in general would need to be changed so that the special action is used in all modes of transportation like mounted or running and it would suck if you were about to complete the event and somehow acquired a rouge special action that deleted your much needed item.

Edited by fable spirt.8465
Correct error
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Typical inconsistency. It is actually difficult to use the glider skills in SotO, where they were easier everywhere else in the game.

Depends heavily on key binds and length of fingers. I use QERXZ for utility and C for dodge. Mouse4 2345 are weapons, I don't have the biggest hands for the keyboard I use. as a result utility is easier for me to access while also using WASD. Most of the time I'm a little over and behind my target holding S to try and stay in place while using the targeted and AOE skills. While I would have to let go of S to press weapon skills (at least 2).

Edited by fable spirt.8465
Correct error

On 12/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

likely means new content is coming that uses those slots

I'm thinking the other way around - they had possibly intended for some content to be designed on launch that had those slots used while gliding, but perhaps that content was pushed back or scrapped entirely. Then there simply wasn't enough time to redo what was done with the glider skills, and they chose to leave it as we have now because "it's fine (functionally)" and not risk having to fix any new bugs introduced from redoing the skill placement.

Unfortunately, what we have is clunky if you hop over to Bloodstone Fen or Dragon's End regularly... but it's a non-issue for those who only have SotO.

I also wish they'd fix this as well, I don't understand why they moved it, people can't use the other fighting abilities while gliding anyway, and 1-5 are easier to reach on your hand while trying to fly, and #1 is left click in action camera and great for generic attacks gliding it should move back. Also, the 'new' version is on 7890, not 12345, one of the skills is entirely missing.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, kiroho.4738 said:

They could also keep the gliding skill were they were and just flip the skill 1 when you have a throwable item...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zzik.5873 said:

They could also keep the gliding skill were they were and just flip the skill 1 when you have a throwable item...

They could. But that way it would be inconsistent to all maps where you can throw items while gliding.
And if they choose to enable bloodstone skills on other maps in the future, they had to change it again for all of theye maps.

• Like 1