Was just discussing Astral Acclaim

I had made a post about astral acclaim. The rewards for just logging in for laurels were less, but people pointed out better rewards. Never mind about the post. Can't delete it.

Edited by aandiarie.7195
never mind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

I agree, comparing just the login portion of the reward to the old bouncy chest login reward, the new way is a lot smaller reward just for logging in/ maintaining a connection to the game.

However it seems to me that they decided to swap login rewards and daily rewards (which one gives more interesting stuffs and choices). 

In theory this is a reasonable change but it does make it harder for people with concentration, energy, vision issues etc. The old way used to feel like it made up a little for my disabilities, and the new way doesn't seem like that at all. 

So basically to me they removed what used to function (perhaps accidentally?) as a disability accommodation. 

Edited by willow.8209
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

you get 10 laurels a week from the Weekly tasks with the option to claim 150 laurels with astral aclaim; the current season is 15 weeks long(3.4 months), totalling 300 laurels

as you stated, you could get a total of 30 laurels every 28 days in the old login system, totalling 90 laurels over the same 3 month period

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

23 hours ago, willow.8209 said:

Willow, mainly I made the post because I don't like we get half the laurels we used to. I was hoping they could change it to 2 laurels bag instead of 1. I only brought up the extra clicking because if I do a lot of different achievements then I have to go into it and click to claim the astral acclaim. It's just before we got currency automatically. Maybe just keep the rewards and don't make us manually click. It just seems like an unneeded extra step. 

• Confused 6

Old system: guarantred 90 laurels. Maximum of 150 laurels if using the 28 day chest for an additional 20.

New system: 45 laurels from just loging in (and no othe rewards). Maximum of 300 laurels for players actively playing the game (1-2 hours per week for weekly basically).

GW2 players with little to no math skills or basic ability to research (because this math was done multiple times by now): "rewards are less!"🤦‍♂️

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:17 PM, willow.8209 said:

So basically to me they removed what used to function (perhaps accidentally?) as a disability accommodation. 

on the other hand i think the change gave them the impetus to add more types of ascended gear that could be gotten from rewards. so in that way it's good

It’s possible they saw people (like me) hoarding more laurels than were spent so metrics indicated across the board it was a less valuable reward compared to other things, so they nerfed the acquisition and put some of the things they bought direct AA purchases.

I’m speculating, but it could be true.

• Like 2

• aandiarie.7195 changed the title to Was just discussing Astral Acclaim
On 1/5/2024 at 3:54 AM, Jianyu.7065 said:

The new way is vastly more beneficial to players who actually play the game - as it should be. 

No. The new way is more beneficial to players that like the game to set the goals for them. It's not so beneficial for players that prefer to set the goals for themselves and dislike being railroaded into doing Spirit Vestibule on weekly basis (for example). It is more beneficial to players playing the same game mode all the time. It is slightly less beneficial to players that play the same mix of gamemodes all the time. It is not so good to those that prefer to play the mode that picks their fancy on that specific moment...

Basically, the system is more beneficial to players that are not a good fit for GW2 as it was originally designed and came from games that taught them to be lost without the game making decisions for them. And it is less beneficial for those that liked this game for the freeform playstyle it offered.

This system is basically a spreadsheet checklist form thrown in your face with the suggestion to fill it first before you can start having fun on that day. Which might be fun for those that like spreadsheets, but for me degrades the whole game experience.

Yes, i have noticed that i am earning more than i did in the previous system. I have noticed as well, that i am also having far less fun than before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. The new way is more beneficial to players that like the game to set the goals for them. It's not so beneficial for players that prefer to set the goals for themselves and dislike being railroaded into doing Spirit Vestibule on weekly basis (for example). It is more beneficial to players playing the same game mode all the time. It is slightly less beneficial to players that play the same mix of gamemodes all the time. It is not so good to those that prefer to play the mode that picks their fancy on that specific moment...

Basically, the system is more beneficial to players that are not a good fit for GW2 as it was originally designed and came from games that taught them to be lost without the game making decisions for them. And it is less beneficial for those that liked this game for the freeform playstyle it offered.

This system is basically a spreadsheet checklist form thrown in your face with the suggestion to fill it first before you can start having fun on that day. Which might be fun for those that like spreadsheets, but for me degrades the whole game experience.

Yes, i have noticed that i am earning more than i did in the previous system. I have noticed as well, that i am also having far less fun than before.

Actually true, but once again: it depends on the nuances.

Players who are not interested in dailies or weeklies are vastly blowing things out of proportion. Case in point: dailies usually are completed while simply playing the game (especially true for WvW and Spvp) with maybe 1 requiring going out of ones way to interact with say a vista in a specific zone (today's daily: salvage 10 items, participate in 1 rift event, break 1 defiance bar, kill 10 enemies in Cantha. Literally completed on its own while playing. At worst, a player would need to go to Cantha and kill 10 enemies or complete a rift).

Weeklies are similar for Spvp/WvW and will get completed within those modes usually withing 1-3 hours, depending a bit on what players enjoy (roaming vs blob for example), of just playing in that mode.

PvE weeklies are similar to an extent, but do require specific activities occasionally. Very often requiring 1-2 activities which players will not automatically acquire while playing PvE. That said, even PvE weeklies usually do not take longer than 1-2 hours per week at most.

So yes, the Wizard Vault HAS introduced a bit of a railroad structure into the game, but that structure is minuscule at best. That is not to say the objectives couldn't be improved upon and the developers should work on that.

I personally believe the benefits far outweigh the small detriment. The game seems more active, especially on maps which are weekly related. The rewards are better distributed to active players. There is a small guideline for players who might be struggling with deciding what to do when logging in.

EDIT: I'll even go so far: I believe the vast majority of complaints about login rewards are either from players who have multiple alt accounts and are unhappy with not receiving their "free stuff" or from players who are barely interested in the game but still log in for "once they should return" (or both). Sorry, neither of those groups meet my criteria of target audience.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Honestly, i think this say far more about you, than the Wizards Vault rewards; as you've been complaining about a number of topics spanning further back than last August.
maybe your tastes in gaming have just changed

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In short: "I'm rewarded more for tasks some of which have been around since well before WV and it's bad, because I want to do all"

I could complain that I was forced to play PvP in the previous system, it makes just as sense as the start of your rant. People are not forced to do anything, you are rewarded for doing certain tasks, exactly like before. You have a choice to skip a daily, or, you can even skip all of them.
I play WvW and PvE, only have tasks from PvE for obvious reasons, but up until about 2 months ago I ran my dailies and weeklies in PvP when I still actively played PvP as well, it's not magically less rewarding, because I play multiple gamemodes, so don't speak on others' behalf.

The game is not making decisions for you, you are not told to do dailies and weeklies, you can ignore them all and do whatever you want. If the game telling you waht to do is an issue with the current system then it was an issue with the previous system as well considering the dailies were much more specific there instead of the "eh just salvage some gear" and similiar tasks. The game is still the same, if people liked the game for the "freeform playstyle" they still have the same playstyle.

Just like the old dailies, you're recommended to finish the dailies in WV first as well.  You logged in and you were greeted with the daily login tab straight away, WV just hovers on the top right.

People who equate optional tasks with mandatory quests are bound to have less fun. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Honestly, i think this say far more about you, than the Wizards Vault rewards; as you've been complaining about a number of topics spanning further back than last August.
maybe your tastes in gaming have just changed

It's not my tastes that changed. It's the game that did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

To me the cap on Mystic Coins and Mystic Clovers is more acute, especially with the current cycle being 16 weeks without the cap being prorated accordingly, so we'd have done much better under the old system on these items.  Let's hope they eventually settle on 12 or 13 week cycles...

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

The game changed for the better. Don’t like it? You are free to move on. 

While the overall rewards have generally increased, can you really say that you have the same freedom of choice on how to complete your dailies as before?

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

While the overall rewards have generally increased, can you really say that you have the same freedom of choice on how to complete your dailies as before?

I basically do the same dailies I did before, the WvW dailies. Now I got weeklies as well  

• Like 6

Objectively I do like the new WV better than the old system, with one exception.  Because I am not a great WvW or PvP player, after the first week I changed to all PvE, which I am quite happy with.   I used to go into the other game modes if one or more of the dailies suited me (camp, vet, etc).  But some of the longer ones (objective, defense, etc) which can take me a lot of time keeps me out of WvW now.  Not a complaint, I have adapted to the new system and have been going to or back to more places now (dungeons and some JP excluded) and am enjoying it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

The game changed for the better. Don’t like it? You are free to move on. 

How exactly is it better to have a handful of pre-selected dailies now and no longer being able to choose from a larger pool?

I certainly don't consider the removal of choice to be an improvement.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 6
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1