Selfish Acts of WvW Gameplay

Since we're getting new players, who probably won't read the forums, but just wanted to make a note of selfish acts of play in wvw.

Let's get some good habits and help your allies out, that objective might just serve to be the next fun spot of an upcoming battle, or maybe you're helping an ally out with their weeklies.

Within reason of course, mostly if no enemies are around.

1. Not stepping out/mount up to delay a capture circle when you have allies clearly heading for that same objective and no enemies are around.

2. Getting to a camp objective that has RI, and then clearing out all the npcs, instead of just killing one and leaving the rest for others who may come by during the RI.

3. Demolishing a dolyak when allies are around, when you only need to "tag" it with some damage to get credit.

4. Not helping repair gates or walls or clear siege from objectives after a defense, just because you don't get "participation" for it.

5. Showing up to a siege party without supply, always carry supply, always use it when siege is going down, and don't wait 20s for the commander to actually order you to press F on them.

6. Dismount for stealth pushes, no brainer here, if you want to stay on mount then wait a few seconds behind and then push on the mount with dash to catch up.

7. Stop using tactivators when they are not needed, even if you're curious you only need to use the first one that's usually supply drop or chill. Not that we can do anything about trolls, I get it, some of you are just angry at the world and want to burn it all down in a game, you want attention, but most times you're just ignored anyways. If you pull an ewp for a fake defense call to get onto a queued map, you're going on my block list though.

8. Leaving a fight when it's even numbers. Sometimes it's ok to sacrifice yourself to see if you can change the outcome of a fight, nothing wrong in running from outnumbered fights from the beginning like a 3v10 is obvious ludacris, but a 3v3? stick around and fight. 

If you got more add them!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

9 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Not helping repair gates or walls or clear siege from objectives after a defense, just because you don't get "participation" for it.

Since participation got removed, repair is not wanted. If you want something, put up a reward. It's so simple.

I get a reward for loading up a ruin, 10x. Totally boring, but I do it.
But demolishing hostile siege, repairing... fking nothing.

Other points yeah.

Squad discipline in open squads is lacking too. Ppl running way ahead of the commander, ppl running way behind the commander, ppl chasing enemies (and getting ganked), ppl throwing random siege.

But when I read the title, first thing that came to my mind,  are actually those solo players, aka roamers, harassing other people who didn't ask for that and don't want to play with or against them. They force themselves on other people for sole selfish reasons.

Go spvp, tyvm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Demolishing a dolyak when allies are around, when you only need to "tag" it with some damage to get credit.

It's not even when allies are around. People will get to a camp with 2 min left on RI, run in and demolish the yaks like it's a raid, and then sit and patiently wait for RI to finish so they can cap the camp. Like why? If you are waiting anyway, why not wait for people to get there? Everyone needs to get 15 yak kills for the weekly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lucy.3728 said:

But when I read the title, first thing that came to my mind,  are actually those solo players, aka roamers, harassing other people who didn't ask for that and don't want to play with or against them. They force themselves on other people for sole selfish reasons.

Go spvp, tyvm.

Spoiler

What do you even mean?!

Now it is considered harassment to engage a player in pvp inside a map mode dedicated to PVP.!? 
Yea hold on, let me dm them before engage:
" listen m8 i saw you running around,maybe you are trying to get to your tag,do you mind if i quickly burst you down?!Do you CONSENT to get bursted down?!?!🙂

You donut.

You Go play pve with such an abrasive mentality. 

lol

Edited by ilMasa.2546
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Staying on the god kitten walls.

It's one of the stupidest things one can witness in WvW and we've probably all been guilty of it at some point. Players making themselves useless for no reason other than "look at me, I'm defending the castle like my grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grandpa did in the medieval times!" followed by most of them not being able to do kitten from there because that's not how GW2 combat works. 

I've seen so many situations when the enemy is like 20ish and friendlies are 30+ but nooooooooo there's 10 of us outside and 20 on the walls "defending". The result is that the 10 die because they where fighting 10v20, then 10 more die because they saw the 10 fighting outside and decided "oh hey most of those 10 are dead, now is OUR time to shine!" so they're still fighting 10v20 and die, then the remaining 10 that decided the outside of the objective was a dangerous place try to hold the lord and get crushed 10v20. 

And then someone in chat complains they're always outnumbered 🤦‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Since participation got removed, repair is not wanted. If you want something, put up a reward. It's so simple.

I get a reward for loading up a ruin, 10x. Totally boring, but I do it.
But demolishing hostile siege, repairing... fking nothing.

Other points yeah.

Squad discipline in open squads is lacking too. Ppl running way ahead of the commander, ppl running way behind the commander, ppl chasing enemies (and getting ganked), ppl throwing random siege.

Go spvp, tyvm.

Well PvE people came to WvW sat on siege or repaired walls until there was no supplies left and we lost the keep because of that. WvW is a teamplay thing, you wont always get rewarded, but helping your team is what makes WvW great. And we do not want the rewards back for reparing walls and gates because PvE people abuse it to the fullest. 

There was litterally 20 people in SM sitting on inner waiting for their participation to go down then repair walls and in to inner again sitting and wait. It was dumb as hell, so dont ask for that again, and understand that abusing things get consequenses.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

8. Leaving a fight when it's even numbers. Sometimes it's ok to sacrifice yourself to see if you can change the outcome of a fight, nothing wrong in running from outnumbered fights from the beginning like a 3v10 is obvious ludacris, but a 3v3? stick around and fight. 

Only if you are near the skill level of both me and who you are fighting.  I'm not 3v3'ing with 2 random pugs who don't know what CC is 11 years in against an organized gank group.  

Can scale this up to...if it is 10v10 and our 10 is a cloud vs a 10-man guild, I'm leaving 90% of the time.  

2 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Go spvp, tyvm.

What if I roam after I'm done with sPvP?

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Staying on the god kitten walls.

It's one of the stupidest things one can witness in WvW and we've probably all been guilty of it at some point. Players making themselves useless for no reason other than "look at me, I'm defending the castle like my grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grandpa did in the medieval times!" followed by most of them not being able to do kitten from there because that's not how GW2 combat works. 

I've seen so many situations when the enemy is like 20ish and friendlies are 30+ but nooooooooo there's 10 of us outside and 20 on the walls "defending". The result is that the 10 die because they where fighting 10v20, then 10 more die because they saw the 10 fighting outside and decided "oh hey most of those 10 are dead, now is OUR time to shine!" so they're still fighting 10v20 and die, then the remaining 10 that decided the outside of the objective was a dangerous place try to hold the lord and get crushed 10v20. 

And then someone in chat complains they're always outnumbered 🤦‍♂️

Well, the best way to get credit for Wizard's Vault dailies/weeklies in defending an objective is to let the enemy take the walls down and rush the lord and guards, and THEN attack them...maybe if they would change defense to include killing any enemies within cata range of an objective, even if they themselves haven't done damage to the walls or guards, then maybe you'd get more participation.  As it stands, defending objectives outside the walls/gates just isn't as rewarding...not saying it's not effective, as it's clearly better to not have to rebuild a downed wall and waste more supply, but sadly that's not how Anet coded how one gets credit for defending...it was even submitted as a bug report due to how difficult it is to get now: 

• Like 3

Just now, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Well, the best way to get credit for Wizard's Vault dailies/weeklies in defending an objective is to let the enemy take the walls down and rush the lord and guards, and THEN attack them...maybe if they would change defense to include killing any enemies within cata range of an objective, even if they themselves haven't done damage to the walls or guards, then maybe you'd get more participation.  As it stands, defending objectives outside the walls/gates just isn't as rewarding...not saying it's not effective, as it's clearly better to not have to rebuild a downed wall and waste more supply, but sadly that's not how Anet coded how one gets credit for defending...it was even submitted as a bug report due to how difficult it is to get now: 

Well that is pretty selfish?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well that is pretty selfish?

Yes, which is why Anet should reconfigure how the defense credit works so that how you defend isn't in question, especially if it leads to earlier participation.  Still doubt that will pull any tags off EBG as they don't want to give up their bag farm...

1 hour ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

That's great and all. Letting the wall fall so you can kill them inside is a legit tactic. However, what Dawdler is probably seeing is people uselessly pew pewing from the walls which get pulled off and killed or reflected. Most of these do not contribute anything to a defense

Actual defenders will usually be further back on some treb or shield gen or something, dropping aoes from the top of the wall and then backing off,  or be picking the enemy tail when the wall fails.

Rarely is the wall a good spot to camp besides prepping a siege disabler and so if I see someone only  camping the wall, I generally assume they are useless and if they're on the enemy team, free kills. There are always exception like  a really well built ele or ranger but in most cases they are just contributing to folks like Xenesisil's next legendary

Also the defend event is so unreliable it is not worth farming in most cases vs other weeklies anyways unless one is camping SMC, but again that doesn't utilize much wall hugging.

I would argue though that only fighting in structures limits how much one can grow as a player. Learning to fight  outside will help with that and lead to more success defending or otherwise  in the long run.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tower babysitting was a way of playing WvW and contributing to your team back in the day, but Anet wanted it removed so people could focus on zerging and “fights”, as a result now people do not care about repairing walls any more, so if you need a wall repaired you can ask your zerg to kindly repair before leaving, sometimes you'll get lucky and they will do it.

Maintaining participation when away from the zerg is not easy nowadays, scouts do not have much time to waste repairing T3 walls all alone, it consumes way too much time when they need to run and flip a camp to the other side of the map before their participation starts ticking down.

Personally, I always loved babysitting towers, but bit by bit it was disincentivised, so now I just follow the zerg. Fk walls and fk PPT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

If you pull an ewp for a fake defense call to get onto a queued map, you're going on my block list though

There are people doing that? Jfc…

conserning topic: i play support. That’s my help. No but seriously… most of those things should be common sense…

It's not 'selfish' really, but compared to the items so far (which I agree with), I find the worst offenders are people who loudly kitten talk or try to backseat drive their commanders, from either inside or outside the sqad, often after whining for one relentlessly. It's borderline sociopathic.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Since we're getting new players, who probably won't read the forums, but just wanted to make a note of selfish acts of play in wvw.

Let's get some good habits and help your allies out, that objective might just serve to be the next fun spot of an upcoming battle, or maybe you're helping an ally out with their weeklies.

1. Not stepping out/mount up to delay a capture circle when you have allies clearly heading for that same objective and no enemies are around.

2. Getting to a camp objective that has RI, and then clearing out all the npcs, instead of just killing one and leaving the rest for others who may come by during the RI.

3. Demolishing a dolyak when allies are around, when you only need to "tag" it with some damage to get credit.

4. Not helping repair gates or walls or clear siege from objectives after a defense, just because you don't get "participation" for it.

5. Showing up to a siege party without supply, always carry supply, always use it when siege is going down, and don't wait 20s for the commander to actually order you to press F on them.

6. Dismount for stealth pushes, no brainer here, if you want to stay on mount then wait a few seconds behind and then push on the mount with dash to catch up.

7. Stop using tactivators when they are not needed, even if you're curious you only need to use the first one that's usually supply drop or chill. Not that we can do anything about trolls, I get it, some of you are just angry at the world and want to burn it all down in a game, you want attention, but most times you're just ignored anyways. If you pull an ewp for a fake defense call to get onto a queued map, you're going on my block list though.

7 confused? I guess I am messed up since I saw this as a common practice. Xen maybe we are both mental. I may be certified but you may not be diagnosed I guess?? I am sorry, but good news! That jacket that hugs you back is quite warm when winter comes around, but it's rough when trying to grab some tea and quite wrong with coffee. 

Personally I think that's why I liked links. It allowed opposite sides to interact in a new way. I am hoping to find similar interactions in the WR. After links started we were teamed with  groups that were much larger and we had previously used tactics against them to slow since we couldn't stop them. Since they were now grouped with us there was no reason not to share caps since they were moving to take something we had already closed to cap. To be polite getting peeps to step out was not hard and the exchanges after were quite fun. It removed more of the us versus them and added in even more fun when with or against them. I am hoping the WR does the same even while I miss the interactions of my Pub/Server mates. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624

13 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

What about complaining about private tags but being unwilling to provide a public tag?

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

So if I mis-applied your point that's on me. So I will try and game this one using that thought. Have been seeing either excess tags or no tags in the beta on various maps. Some maps might have 2-3 and other maps zero. Now I can't say how many invis ones on any since..invis. I don't think that the attributes they are using are separating these type due to that but can't deny either. I admit if I am running in havoc form run invis but allow players to join with approval since I don't want to distract from the main tag and don't want others to fall since we run via typemanding. But that maybe messing with numbers and sorting as well. That said I wouldn't wager on the number of private tags that are public this week either so, its hard to tell.

lol, knowing you, I may have missed the actual point in either case. If so, then, as not expected, I will go on rambling. Where did you land? My havoc landed on Phoenix Dawn, and OMG the amount of small guilds and pugs, makes SBI look like the home of Warband Guilds lol. But its day 3 and with no info from Anet, who knows what the sort numbers ended up being.

Either way, good hunting and looting!

13 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

9. Rez those that you can but don't fall for rez bait.

10. Share foods and banners when you can and inform other players if it helps.

11. Share map info, even if you die, share what info so others may not.

12. Share assault info so that your side is not attacking the same structure from alternate sides unless on purpose.

13. Already said but when possible share cap points if it doesn't prevent the caps.

14. If a question is asked, assume its an open question before assuming its a troll, if need be whisper back to handle both the trolls and the honest question.

15. Be willing to share the whys that might be asked, it might help that player and others in the same area to know the why something was done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T G.7496 said:

It's not 'selfish' really, but compared to the items so far (which I agree with), I find the worst offenders are people who loudly kitten talk or try to backseat drive their commanders, from either inside or outside the sqad, often after whining for one relentlessly. It's borderline sociopathic.

Welcome to my server. (well not for beta week atm), but it has chased out so many people that were only trying to help.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

When the map has a queue and there are no tags visible... hehe.

Haven't seen this combo show up yet. Have seen more outnumbered and no tags more often in the sorting. And other maps where there are multiple tags running counter productive to each other meaning the side with lower tag count but more players does better. So it reminds me of old T1 Tourny days of that large guilds asks smaller guilds to exit maps and then fails when they can't micro manage multiple events since they asked the smaller guilds to GTFO lol. But mileage will vary.