Rifle for Rangers?

SoulGuardian.6203

Rifle for rangers   

60 members have voted

1. 1. Rifle. Yes or no?

2. 2. How strongly do you feel about ranger getting a rifle?

• 100% Very strongly
    • 50% Somewhat strongly
    • 10% Not that strongly
    • 0% Not strongly at all
    • Other. Please state.
  3. 3. How would the rifle function?

• Just like any other
    • A shotgun
    • Add magic to it
    • A huge Crossbow
    • A Cork banger
    • I would rather have a feather duster

How will Rifle be different from longbow? Longbow is a power dps weapon with extreme range that has PvP utility and burst damage. Rifle should have lower range, and probably do higher, less bursty damage. It shouldn't provide stealth, and it should maybe not have a hard CC at range.

Honestly, I'd love a kit that is something like LoL's Jhin.

1. slow 4-hit AA combo that crits for high damage on the last hit, and then goes on a 2s cooldown.
  2. shot that immobilizes opponents and deals bonus damage and gives stacks of vulnerability if that enemy is revealed or is below 75% maxhp.
  3. trap that can be placed at 480 range that deals damage, cripples, and reveals enemies.
  4. bouncing attack that gains additional damage as it bounces, depending on how low each target's health is.
  5. 1800 range unblockable piercing attack that must be aimed like skyscale fireball, with a 1.5s windup channel and you cannot move until you fire.
  • Confused 4

I am still strongly opposed to a firearm for ranger and interested in a magic /druidic one. A physical one like the incoming offhand mace is fine even if not the most interesting.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, aymnad.9023 said:

I am still strongly opposed to a firearm for ranger and interested in a magic /druidic one. A physical one like the incoming offhand mace is fine even if not the most interesting.

Fortunately, you are already getting this, and gaining a weapon that doesn't suit your class fantasy will not take away any existing option you already have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, frazazel.7501 said:

How will Rifle be different from longbow?

Imagine a crossbreed between a engineer's bow, sylvaris plant turrets and thief's preparation. I think you wouldn't be far from a ranger style rifle.

You got a regular ranged AA sending seeds instead of bullets at a single foe and 4 skills that allow you to plant seeds where you want. Then after respecting a minimum 3s arm time (because you need to have your seeds take roots), you can make those seeds bloom into turrets that throw seeds with their follow up skill (if the seeds are close to each other you can make them bloom all at once!).

You'll get 4 ranged minions rooted in the soil to throw seed at your foe (GW's spirit ritualist with GW2's ranger's flavor).

• Confused 1

1. Autoattack is a ranged attack that does bleeding damage and drops a small seed randomly around the target.
  2. Skill 2 is a water grenade blast finisher that grows small seeds into exploding spores and chills opponents it strikes.
  3. Skill 3 is a shotgun blast that drops small seeds near you, and deals damage and knockback in a cone in front of you.
  4. Skill 4 fires a pollen poison field that deals pulsing damage and confusion to enemies and drops small seeds in the area.
  5. Skill 5 is a big seed that rapidly grows without watering into a thorny vine that whips around on its own and deals bleed damage around it, and additionally pulls players in when it is watered. The vine can be attacked, like a turret.

Seeds wilt after a while, if not watered promptly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:00 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

600 range aoe buckshot. Can't get reflected if it isn't a projectile.

Usefulness? They may have given Hammer to ranger, but the weapon still provides something that ranger did not have before, and so far nobody here has explained why ranger would benefit from ..a shotgun kind of weapon. Looking cool? yeah that may be the vocal minority priority but the rest of the community would riot if given something useless with no other purpose, at the very least I know Anet still values gameplay over reskins

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, frazazel.7501 said:

1. Autoattack is a ranged attack that does bleeding damage and drops a small seed randomly around the target.
  2. Skill 2 is a water grenade blast finisher that grows small seeds into exploding spores and chills opponents it strikes.
  3. Skill 3 is a shotgun blast that drops small seeds near you, and deals damage and knockback in a cone in front of you.
  4. Skill 4 fires a pollen poison field that deals pulsing damage and confusion to enemies and drops small seeds in the area.
  5. Skill 5 is a big seed that rapidly grows without watering into a thorny vine that whips around on its own and deals bleed damage around it, and additionally pulls players in when it is watered. The vine can be attacked, like a turret.

Seeds wilt after a while, if not watered promptly.

That work as well, take my upvote!

1 hour ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Usefulness? They may have given Hammer to ranger, but the weapon still provides something that ranger did not have before, and so far nobody here has explained why ranger would benefit from ..a shotgun kind of weapon. Looking cool? yeah that may be the vocal minority priority but the rest of the community would riot if given something useless with no other purpose, at the very least I know Anet still values gameplay over reskins

Mid range aoe that isn't projectile based would be very useful.

• Like 2

I don't really care that much, but at least from the PvE perspective I'd rather get Longbow sorted out before adding another ranged weapon that will just be ignored.

(In WvW I'm aware the longbow is very much meta for power builds.)

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 7:19 PM, Sirius.4510 said:

I don't really care that much, but at least from the PvE perspective I'd rather get Longbow sorted out before adding another ranged weapon that will just be ignored.

(In WvW I'm aware the longbow is very much meta for power builds.)

No bow is not meta in wvw on power builds , it is realy bad in wvw.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Scepter or off-hand sword imo. 

Use said scepter to entangle, slow, and bleed enemies, or you know do a classic hilt bash with off-hand sword or block attacks with it. What ranger seriously needs is a non-projectile ranged weapon, and if rifle can't even provide that, it'd be a waste of space. Also, ranger would benefit from more new one-handed combos than getting another two-handed weapon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, frazazel.7501 said:
On 1/25/2024 at 8:57 PM, aymnad.9023 said:

Fortunately, you are already getting this, and gaining a weapon that doesn't suit your class fantasy will not take away any existing option you already have.

The only reason you would find to want a weapon other than class fantasy are gameplay related... and ranger certainly does not need another projectile weapon in its kit . We already have LB (power), SB (condi), axe (mid distance both power and condi), half of OH dagger,m and half of OH axe, half of torch (the three of them having one melee and one projectile), which makes for half of the ranger weapons with at least half their kits based upon projectiles. 

Not mentioning that often when you ask yourself if a class need a weapon for a gameplay related reason, you often wonder "what weapon can fit this niche that I want to cover ?" Rather than "what niche can I find for this weapon that I want ?".  If both questions are fine to you, I hope you're not the kind of person to complain about fan service in other games. 

Seriously, the only reason I see anyone would want a riffle on ranger is because they want a WoW hunter fantasy (TM) in GW,  and don't want to understand that the day it will be delivered is the day anet stopped making an effort to fit marketed content of new paid expansions with the boundaries they set themselves. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, latlat.4516 said:

The only reason you would find to want a weapon other than class fantasy are gameplay related... and ranger certainly does not need another projectile weapon in its kit . We already have LB (power), SB (condi), axe (mid distance both power and condi), half of OH dagger,m and half of OH axe, half of torch (the three of them having one melee and one projectile), which makes for half of the ranger weapons with at least half their kits based upon projectiles. 

Not mentioning that often when you ask yourself if a class need a weapon for a gameplay related reason, you often wonder "what weapon can fit this niche that I want to cover ?" Rather than "what niche can I find for this weapon that I want ?".  If both questions are fine to you, I hope you're not the kind of person to complain about fan service in other games. 

Seriously, the only reason I see anyone would want a riffle on ranger is because they want a WoW hunter fantasy (TM) in GW,  and don't want to understand that the day it will be delivered is the day anet stopped making an effort to fit marketed content of new paid expansions with the boundaries they set themselves. 

I want rifle and dual pistols on ranger so that I can make a character called Wannabe Teef.

• Confused 1

There are lots of different gameplay styles that can be promoted by weapon design. Greatsword and Hammer are both power melee 2h weapons with big, slow attacks. Their kits have some overlap, but they play differently. Greatsword is more about reacting to opponents and using skill synergies effectively, and Hammer is more about knocking down enemies and doing big cleaving damage to them. It's great that we have both, and they both get used in different types of content.

Or do you think that the only valid game design involves laying out a set of checkboxes at the beginning, and then designing the game specifically to make sure that each one gets checked exactly one time? That can give you a balanced game, but it usually ends up feeling pretty formulaic and uninspired, and ends up having only trivial differences between the classes.

I think you're right that we need to make sure that new weapons fill an unfilled niche, though. I don't want another 1500 range burst damage projectile weapon that has a similar playstyle to longbow. But if it plays significantly differently, then I'll take it. Also consider that many players bemoan that having a full-ranged build on ranger isn't viable. Adding another viable full-ranged 2h weapon is a great solution to that problem.

1 hour ago, latlat.4516 said:

I don't play WoW, so I don't know exactly what you mean. A ranger with a rifle sounds like they would make a great hunter, guerrilla, or scout, and it works independent of what other games have done with similar ideas. And you suggest that ArenaNet promised to never be WoW, so they can never have certain things that WoW already has? This take is incomprehensible to me. What are you even trying to say?

I don't want a half-assed weapon that duplicates what we already have. I want a fun new weapon that lets us play in exciting new ways. And I think they could do it with a rifle. I posted 2 different rifle skillsets earlier in this thread that would both provide something new and fun, but I would accept a fun weapon that is not a rifle, too. But I don't know why you insist that rifle on ranger would be a betrayal of everything ArenaNet has ever held dear, and that everyone who wants rifle on a ranger wants it for bad reasons.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:31 AM, Sansar.1302 said:

No bow is not meta in wvw on power builds , it is realy bad in wvw.

You forget that 3/4 of wvw players walk in straight line without ever pressing the dodge button, what's more they copy paste some full zerk zerg build and then try to kitten kiss the nearest zerg all night long....most of them will get yated by the occasional tower ranger so...in their mind, a longbow ranger is the most outrageous thing they ever experienced.....ofc longbow ranger is completely worthless against any about average player with any resemblance of common sense..we're talking about the minority here

10 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

Also consider that many players bemoan that having a full-ranged build on ranger isn't viable. Adding another viable full-ranged 2h weapon is a great solution to that problem.

Axe on one set, longbow or shortbow on the other depending on whether you're power or condi. You might occasionally benefit from getting close to use a long-cooldown offhand skill, but otherwise...

That said, I think there are some ranged capabilities that ranger lacks. Traditional rifle wouldn't fill those gaps, since traditional rifle would be likely to behave almost identically to rifle. Portable plant mortar, though, has possibilities.

I'm still pretty against having rifle, but I want it to be completely different from Longbow.

Longbow should be the Multi-hitting strike damage build with Aoe.

Rifle should have their abilities be, One big hit - Concept wise. This gives Rifle an identify that no other ranger weapons have.

Edited by Oahkahmewolf.6210

12 minutes ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

Rifle should have their abilities be, One big hit - Concept wise. This gives Rifle an identify that no other range weapons have.

One Big Hit? like Deadeye's rifle ambush skill (Death's Judgment), and Warrior rifle burst skill (Kill Shot)?

Oh wait, i didn't realize your statement (italicized by me for emphasis) was sarcasm. (sorry not sorry for being facetious)

28 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

One Big Hit? like Deadeye's rifle ambush skill (Death's Judgment), and Warrior rifle burst skill (Kill Shot)?

Oh wait, i didn't realize your statement (italicized by me for emphasis) was sarcasm. (sorry not sorry for being facetious)

I was merely refering to Rangers weapon kit but yeah I should of stated Ranger's weapons. I wouldn't really want rifle to be condi or Support weapon ether. We have enough range weapons imo.

Edited by Oahkahmewolf.6210
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:52 PM, RDBuck.6098 said:

The wow hunter can out play gw2 ranger anyway and when you have melee weapon that have more dps than the LB that is range main weapon. 

yeah, you know with the long channeling times and combat slower than a shortbus.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:51 AM, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

I was merely refering to Rangers weapon kit but yeah I should of stated Ranger's weapons. I wouldn't really want rifle to be condi or Support weapon ether. We have enough range weapons imo.

i understand. i really was just trying to be funny.

seriously though, i agree with you about ranger rifle. i'm not exactly fond of it being heal, support, nor condi neither.

An idea that would make sense to me, would be a 1200 range cone AoE style shotgun. (not the CoD shotgun that's great up close and crap 10 feet away.) A hunter will use birdshot, buckshot, etc. the ranger rifle should base the "spread", or narrow / wide of the AoE cone, based on different shotgun shells.

P.S. i guess i'm still trying to be funny... 

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
  • Haha 1