Legendary Relics are Coming Soon

58 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

It is most likely when the wizards vault refresh next time so check the count own in special tab.

Its about a month I belive.

I was thinking that, but the article says it's coming pretty soon.   And given that the Specials tab has had a few new things added to it without waiting for the full refresh with new skins, I decided to bum rush the rune tonight.  I figure there's even a chance we'll get a release this Tuesday, albeit only a small chance since normally they do teasers for such things a week in advance.  I don't care that much about legendary runes (though now that I have one, I see the appeal, if only I wasn't making all my Condensed Gifts for the armor first), but the relic will be serious qol compared to the current inventory-clogging soulbound design.

... I wonder if they could do legendary bait for fishers not to have to fill a giant bag with creepie crawlies, though a bait bag in the fishing panel would work much better and still make people buy bait to fill it with.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

That isnt a lie, its a change of mind in an environment where openness to change is necessary. If you tell your significant other that you will pick up dinner at their favorite restaurant on the way home, but discover that the block where the resataurant sits is not easily accessible due to an accident or something, would it be a lie to pick a different place?

False equivalency, but this is the internet so who cares, right?

This isn't "ANet said they would do one thing, they decided to do something different due to factors outside their control".  This is "ANet said if PLAYERS did something many times, ANet would reward them, then decided due to factors WITHIN their control, to reward everyone who did the thing even a SINGLE time - and give nothing extra to those who did the thing many times as originally promised".

Imagine you told your SO that you would pick up dinner at their favorite restaurant, if they did something for you that they didn't really WANT to do, but were fine doing in exchange for their favorite dinner.  Then after your SO did the thing for you, you told them "Oh, you didn't actually need to do that thing you didn't really want to do; I'm going to not only buy your favorite dinner for you, I'm going to buy dinner for anyone on the block who did something nice for me this month".

You might find yourself sleeping on the couch, if you pulled a stunt like that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, PipuLS.7264 said:

it says that the ones who craft leggy runes before soto will recibe de leggy rune, so ... no you wont get it if you craft a leggy rune right now

Where does it say that?  The first post up top here says "When Legendary relics become available, players who have already crafted at least one Legendary rune will be granted a Legendary relic for free."  Doesn't mention prior to Soto.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 

Here (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/134203-relics-bring-new-equipment-to-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/page/17/#comment-1948417) you said:

Do we need 7 or will 6 that everyone crafted be enough towards the progress? 

• We recognize most players will have only crafted up to 6 runes, but for players that have crafted seven, the extra effort will be recognized. That said, there is no requirement to make 7 legendary runes.

So my question for you is:  Will you stick to this statement (promise?) and recognize the extra effort put in by people who crafted seven?  Or are you retracting this, and no longer recognizing the extra effort?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 

Here (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/134203-relics-bring-new-equipment-to-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/page/17/#comment-1948417) you said:

So my question for you is:  Will you stick to this statement (promise?) and recognize the extra effort put in by people who crafted seven?  Or are you retracting this, and no longer recognizing the extra effort?

Sure lets give you a title I crafted 6 extra runes and all I got was this extra text blurb.

Worth zero ap ofcourse.

Edit

I mean you could have held of like people said since noone knew what significant progressed meant and questioned it .

looks like that was the right desicion unless you wanted 7 runes anyway.

Edit 2

It is quiet sad really what ever Anet do someone get pissed.

If it said 2 runes people with 1 rune 3-7 runes would get pissed and equaly on the other nr.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 6

10 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Does that mean if you craft a legendary rune after release you wont get the legendary relic? What's the cut off?  Ah nevermind, I found the answer tucked in there

What's happening with all the pet based replacements? 

THIS. Half the relics are near useless so why not give us our pet rockdog/golem/parrot back?

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

there's always one...

What they are doing is optimal but not fair since it's not a comparative conversion. If you crafted 6 legendary runes then that could = 1 legendary relic so yeah on some level those who made 6 or 7 did all that effort to be made eventually obsolete. Feez bad a lil 😕

• Confused 2

30 minutes ago, torquemada.6905 said:

I don't know why they didn't say 1 leggy relic unlock per each legendary rune crafted. Sure, that would only mean all SotO runes plus 7 core (depending on how many runes you have unlocked), but that would be a kitten sight better than all SotO runes + 1 relic. There'd still be 30+ relics to unlock. It sucks that there are no incremental rewards for time and materials spent. 😞

Why would you want less for everyone?

All core should be default, I am just happy they are throwing in all the soto ones aswell over here.

Pretty sure you would have been just as sad if the significant progess was 70% of the cost of the relic ( 10% per rune)

You spent the materials for the runes did you not was it only for said relic?

If so everyone and their mother knew it would have been better to hold on to materials and just craft the legendary relic when it released.

Edit

Should we also change the compensation depending on how much the runes costed to craft when each person did them?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 2

Here's an idea ...

When the Legendary Relic comes out, anyone with more than 1 Legendary Rune will get a Relic Unlock Token for each additional Legendary Rune they created.  The Token will allow them to unlock any future Relic that becomes available immediately.  This way people will get some compensation for having creating more Runes and it will also give them some of the "future proofing" back.

But then I guess some would complain they would have created more Runes before today if they knew that.  So there's probably no perfect solution.

Anyway, just a thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

Hmmm...I finished my seventh rune a few months before Anet first introduced relics. For a while now I've been waiting to see what impact having all seven legendary runes would have on getting the legendary relic. I'm relieved that I'll get the leggy relic for free and am not at all bothered by the fact that people with fewer runes will also get theirs free. As a long time WvW player, I'm also very aware that Anet changes their mind about things that they have announced. The most well known related to WvW is of course Alliances. They also disappeared a beta that they said would happen last summer without any explanation at the time. So the fact that I won't be getting any extra compensation for having all seven runes doesn't shock or surprise me. Nor does it bother me. I made the seventh legendary rune because I do have breathers on my characters and I do have them equipped for underwater combat, including that seventh rune. So I already got what I paid for.

What does concern me a bit is the change to legendary relics, the one making it so they won't automatically get any new relics released in future expansions. For one thing, that seems like a bad precedent. I sure hope that all the other legendaries won't go through a similar change in the future. The other concern is about what will be required to add the new relics to one's legendary relic. I don't do raids, CM strikes, or high level fractals. If any significant new relic is locked behind one of those, I'll be upset. If the new relics are locked behind regular open pve game play, I'm fine with that. If they will be unlockable through WvW and fractal reward tracks, that would be even better for me. I'll just have to wait and see what will be required, like every other player does.

P.S. @Esty.8352 posted their suggestion while I was typing this.  This idea sounds good to me,
"When the Legendary Relic comes out, anyone with more than 1 Legendary Rune will get a Relic Unlock Token for each additional Legendary Rune they created.  The Token will allow them to unlock any future Relic that becomes available immediately.  This way people will get some compensation for having creating more Runes and it will also give them some of the "future proofing" back."

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

It is quiet sad really what ever Anet do someone get pissed.

If it said 2 runes people with 1 rune 3-7 runes would get pissed and equaly on the other nr.

I'm not upset that they said 1 rune.  I'm upset that first they said 7, then they retracted that and went with 1.
The problem is not the number of runes.
The problem is that they made a public, official statement about what they were going to do, then invalidated that.

And I am baffled as to why so many people are having such a hard time understanding the difference.

Edited by GalenWolffit.3842
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

"So, for relics only—and starting with the fifth expansion—new relic effects will need to be unlocked within each expansion in order to be accessible via legendary relics."
"Legendary relics will come with all Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure relic effects unlocked"
"They’ll also have automatic access to the new relic effects we’re planning to release alongside our third major release for Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure."

Judging by the recent communication with players, I won't be surprised if in a week we get the following message:

We decided that the legendary relic will not have any unlocked effects at the start and players must unlock them by doing various activities in the game. We do this, of course, so that you can enjoy various aspects of the game. For example, to unlock some effects for your legendary relic you need to:

Relic of the Necromancer - kill 1000 Zhaitan's minions
Relic of Nourys - Complete The Defense of Amnytas 100 times
Relic of Fireworks - During Lunar New Year, light up 10000 fireworks

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hm, okay. Hot take here. I think giving the relic out for free, especially for having made just a single rune, is a bit of a mistake.

Truth be told i'm kinda bored with the game lately and was looking forward to having a new goal to work towards. Therefore i'm in favor of the decision to not auto unlock relics in future expansion. In fact i think stats on legenday gear should have been handled the same way although i kinda get why that wasn't done that way back than.

However one caveat i have is that i find the whole relic system is still a bit lackluster. Nearly evey build is running the same 2-3 relics for its  archetype and many of the more interesting effects seem a bit undertuned, often because of longish ICDs and or low boon/effect durations. Also some of the more flavorful rune effects from core are still missing. ( Looking at you, Runes of the Lich and Oger).

13 hours ago, Esty.8352 said:

When the Legendary Relic comes out, anyone with more than 1 Legendary Rune will get a Relic Unlock Token for each additional Legendary Rune they created.  The Token will allow them to unlock any future Relic that becomes available immediately

nvm, I totally missed your point and the news around it.

Edited by Arianth Moonlight.6453
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

Kinda skipped thru all the discussion but...do we or can we get a firm date when this will launch?

I've been slacking on provisioner tokens and need to know if have another week or not so I can just do them through WvW instead of emptying my bank on daily ones...

• Confused 3

Good. Could have just kept runes. Relics was just re branding rune effects to have new content grinds when you could have just left it as was. Pretty stupid imo. I never made a legendary rune and I will still say.... compensate those that did. You made a garbage change that only took away from the game. It added nothing and improved nothing imo. Could have added more runes rather then change it to relics. Happy for all that are getting compensated. Did not expect them to do the right thing but am impressed and thankful they made this choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

Because instead of creating fun content, the gear grind becomes the content.  Buckle up for 1,000,000 rifts of grinding!

Very good way of putting it. I got full legendary so I can just play the game, whatever I like in it. Not what the devs just released and think I should play. There is WoW for thaf type of game and honestly its better in all aspects but the gear grind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

It means you only need to unlock it once for all characters to have access to it. One PvP/WvW reward will do it. 

If one wvw/pvp reward track does it per expansion, I'm OK with that.

But what are the odds that this will be the case? More like each expanaion will have a new relic collection (honestly, devs cant balance the game even now, whats the point of adding new relics at each expansion?). Once you do the collection, new relic types are unlocked.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

While I am happy everyone will get to enjoy a Legendary Relic even from crafting one single Legendary Rune, and I absolutely do not mind having to unlock new gimmicks through gameplay (as long as they were not already linked to how runes formerly worked as that would be a little bit unfair), I do also think that those who crafted more than one after the initial announcement should be compensated proportionally.

Since craft progression is no longer on the table and backpedaling on that newly made decision would anger those already unpleased with it even more as well as those who aren't, how about a tiered achievement for crafting all runes with different rewards based on how many made? Make it retroactive for those who've made them expecting the Legendary Relic, with increasingly enticing rewards — choice of account-bound legendary starter kit at 6, maybe? Account-bound infusion at 7? Just spitballing —, and not only will you have pleased current rune owners, but you will also give an incentive to future crafters into going the extra mile and gearing up even their aquabreather, just for extra shinies.

Anyway, release is one month away. Plenty of time to think. Those upset have good reasons, and it's important they're heard out. This is a good decision, but it does deserve a bit more polish, which is definitely why it's been put forward so many weeks in advance.

Edited by Dotveg.5108
  • Like 7

I am a lil concerned about the whole legendary relic wont be complete future expansions. Idk about most leggie crafters but the reason i made 3 sets raid armor 7 leggie runes 5 leggie weapons 5 leggie sigils and planned on relic was to make it i never had to worry with stuff for gear again. The relic whole after expansion 5 might miss stats feels like we are getting a subpar legendary to make us grind more. Will this mean other leggie gear one day be nerfed too based on content.

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Nemesis.2019 said:

I had 6 runes, never had plans to craft the 7th since it was only ever needed for underwater combat, then you changed the runes, introduce relics, promise rewards for having 7th, I crafted it,  please take it away from my account and give me back my mats.

I have to say, that seemed like a bad idea even if they gave extra progress instead of the relic for free. 

Why would you craft something you don't want for a potential discount on something later. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

I'm not upset that they said 1 rune.  I'm upset that first they said 7, then they retracted that and went with 1.
The problem is not the number of runes.
The problem is that they made a public, official statement about what they were going to do, then invalidated that.

And I am baffled as to why so many people are having such a hard time understanding the difference.

People understand, but tbh you are better off with the current statement anyway.

Imagine coca cola is saying they will give 100 dollars for everyone who bought 6 packs of cola in the following year. But when the time for the compansation gets closer they change their mind and decide to give 1000 dollars to everyone who bought 1 pack.

Yes it would suck that you bought 5 packs to many, but your still way better off at the end, even when you bought 6 packs. If they would go back to the previous statement everyone would be worse of.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

What the people seem to forget: They did not even mention what the "progress" would be. And we do not even know the cost of the relic. Everyone coudl be angry if the legendary relic was super cheap to obtain. If even crafting 1 rune to the now higher price (cause charm prices increased) seemed a bad idea when the actual cost of the legendary relic is cheap.

Then the progress - why craft 7 the time they announce you get progress based on the amount of runes you unlocked when you don't know how much progress. (If they made it tiered with the next rune giving less progress and the 7th one only giving 5 percent progress to take into account that not many people have made the 7th one - then people would have been angry as well.)

You could have at least waited until the actual way of giving compensation was mentioned. This is not only ArenaNets fault. (And I am still of the opinion that giving more is always okay. Here they announced to give more - giving the relic to everyone that has at least 1 rune unlocked. Would have been worse if they now had said that 7 runes give only about 50 percent progress. Then you'd have no relic and with the other 50 percent remaining .... it might have been cheaper to fully craft the relic from 0 instead. Depending how the cost is and how they translated it into progress.)

And: People with 7 runes have the 7 runes while others still need to unlock them if they only have 1.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1