UI: This is NOT ok

Can't say this particularly bothers me, outside of a handful of profression mechanic effects, nothing on that bar is that important or vital to track.

Edit: i feel like a lot of people seem to think i'm refering to Boons and Conditions rather than just the middle effects

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 16

It really isn't okay.  If the purpose of a UI is to provide necessary information to the player as clearly as possible, this UI fails hard.  There are far too many buffs jammed into one bar and they constantly move around, making it difficult to see anything that you would need to know.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It's hard to keep track of personal buffs when there are only 2 rows (one for the boons like alacrity and might and one for every other buff in the game). There is space near the portraits of characters of your party for a third row and it would be less cluster to have 3 rows rather than a very long one. There are tons of buffs in the game which can make the second row incredibly long (jade protocols, guild hero banners and spirit banner, buffs for karma, item find, magic find, experience, traits from other players like last rites, buffs related to content, etc). Adding a third row for your personal buffs from trait and abilities would make it much easier to keep track of them during fights. Or there is also the option to add them to the left side above the the class related f1-f5 skills and continue to show in the same row for others.

Edited by andreiblue.8231
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I voted yes but I would want those class related buffs on the bottom row and not on top.

But what I really want is a separate place for buffs that come from banners, boosts, event bonuses, etc. In essence, anything that you don't need to keep track of during combat. They should be displayed at a different location, like on one of the edges of the screen and people should be able to turn it on/off in options.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I really wish they would work on the UI. Especially when playing support I'd like to be better able to see if a buff is up or not, and how many stacks there are. At the moment all the icons switch places constantly as buffs take effect and expire, and to make things worse, the icons are tiny.

I can sympathize with the fact that the 10+ year old codebase can be tricky to improve, but personally I'd rather see them work on that, even if it means delaying some other content. A lot of veterans are frustrated with the current UI, and for newer players it makes the game mechanics seem more convoluted than they really are.

A bare bones suggestion that would already help immensely:
-One row for boons, another row for conditions. Third row for all other icons (or even better, split those further in some logical way)
-Icons' placement is static, i.e. they light up and turn off, instead of moving around
-Enable resizing the icons (if not with a slider, at least e.g. small / medium / large)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Frost.5164 said:

One row for boons, another row for conditions. Third row for all other icons (or even better, split those further in some logical way)

That's how it is already.

6 hours ago, Frost.5164 said:

Icons' placement is static, i.e. they light up and turn off, instead of moving around

Could be nice, but in option only, as it make you loose information on boon and conditions order (which has importance for cleanse/boonrip)

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

When in combat the boons should also be filtered to only show combat-relevant and decision-making relevant boons. Auto hide all the guild banner, feast, utility and similar boons, you should only see boons relevant to decision making.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Voted "Yes" but of course a fully customisable option would be better. Maybe something that worked a bit like the check menu we have for the chat window where we can select which buffs we want to show up in which row or a selection where we could prioritize buffs or certain classes of buffs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

Three different "yes but I want to have them positioned <here>" makes me think that a player-customisable HUD would be something worth looking into. 🙂

In theory that would be great but iirc a customisable HUD also costs performance, so there's a trade off there.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 2/16/2024 at 1:56 AM, Parasite.5389 said:

Can't say this particularly bothers me, outside of a handful of profression mechanic effects, nothing on that bar is that important or vital to track.

Edit: i feel like a lot of people seem to think i'm refering to Boons and Conditions rather than just the middle effects

Yeah, who would want to keep track of something like might. You probably missed that icon because it's surrounded by so much other stuff...and that's the point, isn't it?

14 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

That's how it is already.

Then why are the might and aegis icons on different rows?

• Confused 3

I've never seen this, presumably because I have my UI set to the smallest scale and the map at the top, but I'm really surprised it doesn't wrap around.

If they can't make it wrap round to a 2nd row when there's too many to fit maybe they need to seperate out different types of effects, like they do with conditions. I'd like effects from consumables like banners, food, armour repairs etc. to be grouped together and on a seperate line to other stuff like traits and situational things like the race and achievement trackers.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah, who would want to keep track of something like might. You probably missed that icon because it's surrounded by so much other stuff...and that's the point, isn't it?

Might is a Boon, it's on it's own seperate line... again, I don't think people understood what i was saying.

OP (or rather the person OP is leeching off reddit from) is complaining about Effects, Not Boons, Not Conditions;
Other than a few class mechanic effects like Distortion, or some Venom skills which can be gained from multiple skills and might want to be tracked during combat, most of the icons on that bar are food buffs, banners, and bonuses for stuff like XP and Karma.

now sure, it's cluttered and could be tidied up a little, but it's not such a travesty that it's "NOT ok (rawr rawr, gruff angry voice: game is literally unplayable)"

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Might is a Boon, it's on it's own seperate line... again, I don't think people understood what i was saying.

OP (or rather the person OP is leeching off reddit from) is complaining about Effects, Not Boons, Not Conditions;
Other than a few class mechanic effects like Distortion, or some Venom skills which can be gained from multiple skills and might want to be tracked during combat, most of the icons on that bar are food buffs, banners, and bonuses for stuff like XP and Karma.

now sure, it's cluttered and could be tidied up a little, but it's not such a travesty that it's "NOT ok (rawr rawr, gruff angry voice: game is literally unplayable)"

Well aegis and might are on different lines in the picture so what do you mean with "separate line"?

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

i assume you're refering to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/5%_Damage_Bonus which is not a boon

ahhh, that explains it. Thanks. Leave it to Anet to give a non-boon the same icon as a boon. Alright, I understand you now.

Edit: just to clarify, I've actually never used a Strength booster, so that's why I didn't recognise it.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1