Question about Wizard's Vault Daily categorization

So, I've been wondering this for a while, and I'm finally annoyed enough to ask about it. Why is the "Participate in an Activity" daily in the system as a PVE daily? All of the regularly available activities are PVP based, and while I think a small handful of the holiday activities aren't, they aren't always available and I'm not sure they even count for the daily. I know the Wintersday strike mission didn't count towards the weekly. I know I can just skip the daily, but today it was paired with another daily that I refuse to touch anymore (Spirit Vestibule Minidungeon, that became an unbearable slog after a half dozen times), so I had to choose between two awful options. I have no desire to do PVP, that's why I chose PVE only for the Wizard's Vault. So why am I regularly given a daily that requires PVP activity?

Honestly, it's been more frustrating recently. They used to be timed to always come on days where the activity was Crab Toss or Sanctum Sprint, and I could literally sit those out until they ended without being a detriment to anyone else's experience. Now they're timed to always be Southsun Survival or Keg Brawl. I can sit out the former, but since Keg Brawl is team based, sitting out means messing up the game for other people, but I have no desire to play. Whyyyyyyy is this a PVE daily? It makes no sense to me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

28 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

The categories are the 3 game modes of GW2 - WvW, SPvP and "PvE" (everything else). Activities were built using SPvP, but they're in the "PvE" side of the game.

It's funny to think about it, cuz the achievements are under the PvP section for activities.

However I don't want these activities anywhere near pvp dailies.

• Like 5

The activity achievements are classed as PvP and they all include some form of attacking other players:

• Southsun Survival - literally a battle royale death match
  • Keg Brawl - you fight other players for the kegs (or to stop them getting the kegs).
  • Crab Toss - you fight other players for the crab.
  • Sanctum Sprint - the nearest to PvE but you can still use skills to delay other players or knock them off the track.

Not that any of that typically happens on days when there's an activity daily, most people are trying to get in and out as fast as possible and with a minimum of effort so if they can they'll just stand there and if it ends it faster they'll deliberately throw the match (mainly with keg brawl, but it happens with Southsun as well).

• Like 6

On the one hand yes, they're clearly pvp. The cheeves are in the pvp category, they all allow you to interact with other player experiences, etc. . . .

But otoh it's just really hard to actually consider them pvp. It would be like saying sports and combat are the same thing . . .

• Like 4

Even under the old system for dailies, Participate in an Activity was listed in the PVE section.  This is not something new with the Wizard's Vault.

We just didn't notice it as much because there were 12 choices to completing the dailies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

On the one hand yes, they're clearly pvp. The cheeves are in the pvp category, they all allow you to interact with other player experiences, etc. . . .

But otoh it's just really hard to actually consider them pvp. It would be like saying sports and combat are the same thing . . .

A lot of sports are combat with more formal rules. Things like martial arts, fencing, boxing etc. are obvious but also all types of shooting, archery, javelin, even some equestrian events are dervived from military techniques.

I suppose the question in GW2 is whether Player vs Player means all types of competing against other players, or only fighting them with your normal skills and weapons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

A lot of sports are combat with more formal rules. Things like martial arts, fencing, boxing etc. are obvious but also all types of shooting, archery, javelin, even some equestrian events are dervived from military techniques.

I suppose the question in GW2 is whether Player vs Player means all types of competing against other players, or only fighting them with your normal skills and weapons.

To me, if other players are showing with red name plates, that's PvP.

I wish this content wasn't labelled as PvE, but I just "AFK" while the timer runs out. Yes, even with Keg Brawl. These days every single Keg Brawl I've been dumped in has had multiple sitters and multiple "let's just throw the match" people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I think they just really need to hurry up and add way more possible options for the dailies so it doesn't feel like you get the same ones every few days. there is so much content they could put in there. 

I also almost never do the activity daily not so much that I despise pvp but I just don't really find any of the activities that fun. but it wouldn't be so bad if they only showed as a daily like once every couple of weeks

Edited by Shadow Legend.1657
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Right. Which is what makes them sports ; p

If anything, Activities belong into a category of their own. They would only disrupt PvP players' enjoyment of the Dailies if they were put into the PvP category.

I think they fit into the PvE category well, though. They don't take anywhere nearly as long as a PvP match, are much easier and a nice diversion to your usual PvE gameplay.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

13 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Not that any of that typically happens on days when there's an activity daily, most people are trying to get in and out as fast as possible and with a minimum of effort so if they can they'll just stand there and if it ends it faster they'll deliberately throw the match (mainly with keg brawl, but it happens with Southsun as well).

Yep, this is absolutely what happens. For example in the current Dragon Ball thing, I check the score on join and if I'm on a team that's losing already, I'll just stand in the middle and wait for the hits. If I'm on the winning team, then I'll try to win faster and just get the silly thing over with already, so I can get back to something else. I don't find the activities to be particularly entertaining, so if it's a daily let's just get it over with as quickly as possible. I don't dislike them because they're PvP, I dislike them because they're mostly pointless. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If anything, Activities belong into a category of their own. They would only disrupt PvP players' enjoyment of the Dailies if they were put into the PvP category.

I think they fit into the PvE category well, though. They don't take anywhere nearly as long as a PvP match, are much easier and a nice diversion to your usual PvE gameplay.

Exactly. They're a diversion from PVE gameplay. I don't want to be diverted from PVE gameplay. I enjoy PVE, and that's why I picked PVE only for the vault. I get why PVP players don't want the activities, because honestly, they're not particularly fun and are spectacularly unrewarding (a pittance of sliver and karma, plus a single masterwork gear piece, even if you win), but they don't belong in PVE either. They should really just be pulled from the rotation entirely. I get that the devs are trying to keep old content die, but maybe they should focus those efforts on content that's actually good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, naachan.7013 said:

...I know I can just skip the daily, but today it was paired with another daily that I refuse to touch anymore (Spirit Vestibule Minidungeon, that became an unbearable slog after a half dozen times), so I had to choose between two awful options...

15 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

...Not that any of that typically happens on days when there's an activity daily, most people are trying to get in and out as fast as possible and with a minimum of effort so if they can they'll just stand there and if it ends it faster they'll deliberately throw the match (mainly with keg brawl, but it happens with Southsun as well).

8 hours ago, Kiki.9450 said:

...These days every single Keg Brawl I've been dumped in has had multiple sitters and multiple "let's just throw the match" people.

3 hours ago, Shadow Legend.1657 said:

I think they just really need to hurry up and add way more possible options for the dailies so it doesn't feel like you get the same ones every few days. there is so much content they could put in there. 

I also almost never do the activity daily not so much that I despise pvp but I just don't really find any of the activities that fun. but it wouldn't be so bad if they only showed as a daily like once every couple of weeks

I very much agree with the OP on this and with the folks quoted above. The last time I did an activity was when I had a choice between that or the Spirit Vestibule minidungeon. It was the Crab Toss and three folks, including me, just sat, slept, danced, or ran against the wall while two people actually tried to toss the crab around. With all the content in  this game, including other minidungeons, why do activities and the same handful of minidungeons  keep coming up again and again and again?

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

...I think they fit into the PvE category well, though. They don't take anywhere nearly as long as a PvP match, are much easier and a nice diversion to your usual PvE gameplay.

This post I do disagree with. I don't find the activities to be "a nice diversion". To me they are a tedious, pointless drag. If someone else enjoys them, that's fine, they can  go play them as much as they want. But why oh why are so many of us forced to do them over and over and over again?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The one thing I would hate to see is to have them removed from the rotation entirely. The worst thing in the game to me is abandoned content, and I hate to see group events that become difficult for new players to engage with bc there's no reason left for longer time players to do them . . .

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

The one thing I would hate to see is to have them removed from the rotation entirely. The worst thing in the game to me is abandoned content, and I hate to see group events that become difficult for new players to engage with bc there's no reason left for longer time players to do them . . .

This is a good sentiment, in theory, however this isn't really encouraging people to do the content. Rather it's encouraging them to AFK in the content until it's over.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

This is a good sentiment, in theory, however this isn't really encouraging people to do the content. Rather it's encouraging them to AFK in the content until it's over.

You make a great point. The players are the problem. How would you solve it . . ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, naachan.7013 said:

Exactly. They're a diversion from PVE gameplay. I don't want to be diverted from PVE gameplay. I enjoy PVE, and that's why I picked PVE only for the vault.

Well, no one forces you to participate in an Activity. You still get the Daily Reward when you skip it.

12 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

This post I do disagree with. I don't find the activities to be "a nice diversion". To me they are a tedious, pointless drag. If someone else enjoys them, that's fine, they can  go play them as much as they want. But why oh why are so many of us forced to do them over and over and over again?

:classic_huh: See my response above. No one is "forcing" you.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

If they were entertaining, it would be different. Southsun Survival is just pointless. Keg Brawl just isn't fun. Crab Toss is OK, but annoying. Sanctum Sprint is decent. I mostly run around collecting gems since I haven't maxed that achievement.

At least there are some APs involved.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If the content is boring/unrewarding such that no one wants to do except for the dangling of a reward, perhaps that content should be abandoned then.  Not like it would be the first time Anet has abandoned content.

No one forces anyone to do anything in GW2, including playing the game or spend money on anything, but it clearly would not be good for GW2 if players decide that the game just isn't interesting to play because the devs are trying to make people play content they really don't want to play, and those players go off and play something else.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing to me about this is that there is so much content within the game they could choose from, much of it more interesting or less repetitive, but instead we get an activity of one type or another about every other day.  If they showed up once a week, I might be willing to do them at that frequency, but with the frequency they do show up, I will pretty much always avoid them unless the other choice is a lot worse (which occasionally happens)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Albadaran.1283 said:

The only thing I object is the usage of the word 'participate', which suggests that you don't have to succeed. 

Why do u object to that  since you dont have to succeed in any of them just run out the timer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

You make a great point. The players are the problem. How would you solve it . . ?

I don't think that the players are a problem because they don't engage in content they find boring or unrewarding. The content is the problem.

These activities are just these odd little curios that ArenaNet shoved into the game and abandoned. They're not fun. They were a novelty that has turned into a chore. Making them less boring or more rewarding might entice people to try them but I can't see ArenaNet being willing to put any effort into them. Personally I'd reduce the frequency that they show up in the Wizard's Vault and change it so that the Holiday Activities count.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2