My concern with the upcoming Wizard's Vault changes

I think there is plenty of room for improvement in the Wizard's Vault objectives and I am more than willing to see what ANet has planned for the changes. One part of what was said in the post, though, makes me wonder if we might lose one of the benefits of the daily/weekly objectives.

The intent of these changes is to improve the overall feel of the objective selection, reduce friction with required times for global-timer events, and reduce the number of expansion-only objectives that caused players to have different weekly objective lists.

I'm not sure what "reduce friction with required times for global-timer events" means, so I'll have to wait and see on that one, but the part about reducing expansion-only objectives? Most of the content in the game now resides in the expansions and not everyone is going to have the same expansions. The old daily achievements and the wizard's vault as it has been took this into account by having some objectives be different depending on which expansions you'd purchased. Don't have Path of Fire? Then you won't have Forged in Flame as a weekly when someone who has PoF does.

I'm not sure there was anything wrong with this other than the difficulty figuring out how to get all the different information on the wiki. 😁

One of the things I really like about the WV objectives is the potential to drive players to older content that might not be run anymore as the playerbase spreads out and more content is added. Someone new to GW2 might be trying to do a group event for an achievement, but it isn't run often. If and when that event gets on the weekly rotation it is a great benefit to those who have needed it and gets bodies back in what might have been a lesser used part of the game world.

Now, some of this content maybe isn't run for good reason. We have had some objectives in the WV that caused problems because of bugs or just plain awkwardness in an event. Should those be in the WV as is? No. Is it still good to find these things out so ANet might be able to fix problems in those events eventually? Yes.

Having more options in the WV objectives sounds like a good thing. Keeping it mostly to core content so we can all have the same lists, though? I usually trust ANet to see any pitfalls when making any changes like this, so I hope they have considered all the impacts here. I do look forward to seeing how it works out even if I have some concerns.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I can see this change being made to primarily appease the "I want to do dailies/weeklies with my friend(s) but they don't have the same expansions as me so we often get different objectives" crowd.

On the plus side, we know that in the near future, there's going to be a LWS2 and a HoT event, similar to the LWS1 event we had recently. Hopefully this helps keep that content populated, at least when those events are active. (Events are in the calendar.)

We'll see how it all pans out soon.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I have all the expansions & seasons, but the WV has been really Cantha-heavy since it was released -- even with literally the rest of the game available to the account to choose from.

Something about the selection mechanism they use has gotten stuck on favoring EoD content above almost all else, at least for me. I'm hoping that is going to be addressed.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

It'd be nice to have let's say 4 core objectives, and then 1 expansion objective added for each expansion you own. That would allow someone to do 3/4 like normal, but have a wider selection.

But either way, I', also really curious to see what they do with this.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I have all the expansions & seasons, but the WV has been really Cantha-heavy since it was released -- even with literally the rest of the game available to the account to choose from.

Something about the selection mechanism they use has gotten stuck on favoring EoD content above almost all else, at least for me. I'm hoping that is going to be addressed.

Yeah, the list of objectives seems to be...limited at the moment. As I said, plenty of room for improvement. Especially in the frequent repetition. For instance, I hope we don't see 'Long Way Around' or 'Spirit Vestibule' for a while. Not saying they should be removed entirely, but my goodness we got those like every other week.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Tanek.5983 said:

I'm not sure what "reduce friction with required times for global-timer events" means, so I'll have to wait and see on that one,

I might be wrong but I suspect this is about objectives like killing specific world bosses or doing meta events. They're either going to add more options (maybe make it something like 'a HoT meta' instead of 'Dragon's Stand meta' or reduce how often they come up. (I hope it's the first one.)

I'm one of the people who has limited time to play - not only that I can only be in-game for an hour or two at a time but I don't get to choose when that is, I have to fit it in between other things going on. More than once I've had to skip a WV objective or even miss completing the daily or weekly because it's not going to be available during the times I can be online. Today for example it's going to be 9pm - 11pm, I probably won't be online that entire time but I can't be on before or after that, so if there's a WV objective which isn't coming up during that time I can't do it. I know you only need to do 3 of the 4, but it means I have no choice, and if I can't find 3 which are worth the hassle in the limited time I have I'm more likely to just skip it, which obviously isn't what Anet wants.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

I'm not sure what "reduce friction with required times for global-timer events" means

To me it sounds like they talk about meta event weeklies.

Don't know if they are problematic. They aren't my favorite weeklies (because of the set time) though.

23 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

but the part about reducing expansion-only objectives? Most of the content in the game now resides in the expansions and not everyone is going to have the same expansions.

Would be odd to me if they removed all expansion objectives.

What I could think of is that they "synchronize" the non-expansion objectives between the versions.
Making it so at least the non-expansion objectives are the same no matter what expansion you own.
Instead of having completely different objectives depending on your expansions.

It's just speculation though.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 3

Less predatory games like WARFRAME dont have Dailies/Weeklies expire.

Your are always on your current week's objectives, and once you have cleared them, then previous unfinished ones become available again.

This way it does not matter you didnt log in 1 day or 3, you can log in the 4 and complete back days. The thing is that you log in.

Edited by Apolo.5942
  • Like 4
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

I took it as more that they want to draw ppls back towards more common objectives, so things everyone can do regardless of which pack they have? Seems like a good thing . . ?

I'm not sure it is automatically a good thing.

If you want to give everyone the same objectives regardless of expansion, it might require the objectives either

• all be in core Tyria, ignoring 4/5 of the game content or
  • be so generic as to allow completion anywhere ("defeat any world boss", "complete any event" kind of thing)

In the first case, I don't think it is a great idea to exclude so much content as possible daily/weekly objective goals. And in the second, I almost guarantee the playerbase will find the easiest way possible to complete a generic objective and it can feel like we have less choice rather than more.

If they go with either or both of these options, I still think it reduces the benefit of using objectives to help populate older expansion content. Sure, a "return to" event will help once in a while and those can be great, I just don't think they have the same flexibility.

And again, I hope I am wrong about this. I hope ANet anticipted the problems and planned ways to avoid them. Things in the game have changed over the years, but I want the studio behind it to be the same one that gave us their design manifesto 14 years ago and thought about how that design could encourage cooperative play.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The way I understood besides ofc the "more generic" approach (like kill any worldboss, break xy breakbars, dodge x amounts of time, etc.), some additional variation may be that they offer options based on expansions owned (like either do kaineng or vabbi or octovine or amnytas meta- and depending on what expansions you own you get more choices whereas someone only owning eod could only do the first - but you can't get credit for all 4 because it is just one objective combining more options to finish it). No idea if that is correct or just my imagination, guess we will see next week.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Apolo.5942 said:

Your are always on your current week's objectives, and once you have cleared them, then previous unfinished ones become available again.

This way it does not matter you didnt log in 1 day or 3, you can log in the 4 and complete back days. The thing is that you log in.

Did we reach the level of delusion where Warframe is used as the more fair, less grindy option? Warframe throws all kinds of dailies and weeklies at you regardless of whether you have access or not, imagine getting PoF and EoD weeklies without owning them. Kill X enemies with a Necramech, despite not even owning one is just one of the examples. Warframe can be commended for a lot of things, being fair to people who play less or being less grindy isn't one.

I got all the rewards from WV by the start of February on both accounts, often missing dailies and weeklies, because I couldn't be bothered to do them, that ain't happening in Warframe, I missed 2 weeks of Glassmaker and ended up being 2 levels short. Make sure you compare WV to the correct games.

EDIT:
Dailies actually expire in Warframe, it's only weeklies and elite weeklies that stay around for the season.

Edited by IAmNotMatthew.1058
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I certainly hope that many of the non-Central Tyrian objectives I like won't get removed from the Dailies schedule. That would be a shame. I'd also be missing the Activities if they were removed.

Activities are being removed from WV. Rubi posted that elsewhere.

• Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I certainly hope that many of the non-Central Tyrian objectives I like won't get removed from the Dailies schedule. That would be a shame. I'd also be missing the Activities if they were removed.

Can't you just play activities without them being part of the WV dailies?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Apolo.5942 said:

Doesn't GW2 achieve the same end result by keeping the rewards permanently available, and allowing players to earn more AA in a season than they need to unlock everything? It's a different method but it comes to the same thing - no one will miss out on the rewards if they can't log in every day, or even every week or month.

I don't know exactly how many daily and weekly achievements I've missed but I know it's been a lot, but in both the previous season and the current one I've gotten down to choosing between the infinitely available gold and the few items I don't want, and I think I could have gotten all the limited items if I wanted to.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Can't you just play activities without them being part of the WV dailies?

I have no incentive to do so without a proper reward. 😄 Them being part of the WV Daily gave me an incentive and they were a nice diversion from the usual "Dodge", "CC", "Loot", "Craft" and "Gather" objectives.

15 hours ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Activities are being removed from WV. Rubi posted that elsewhere.

Aww, shame.

But I was also talking about EoD mini dungeons and jumping puzzles when I referred to "non-Central Tyrian objectives", which I also enjoy.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 5

15 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

But I was also talking about EoD mini dungeons and jumping puzzles when I referred to "non-Central Tyrian objectives", which I also enjoy.

This is my fear, too. We need more variety in the expansion objectives, I don't want to see them gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1