Why do you play WvW?

For me, I have a big guild with a great commander and fun guildies. It's about the camaraderie and teamwork to achieve goals.
But my second account doesn't have a guild and I feel unhappy about the loss of 'worlds'.
Why do roamers, scouts, gankers play WvW?
Why do YOU play WvW?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

While I realize that outcomes are ultimately determined by numbers, builds and matchups, there is still an uncertainty about engaging with another player that you can never get from pve. That's what makes it interesting. I'm not sure it's exactly why I do it, but it is what I like about it . . .

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Being part of a guild and community. 

Fighting along side people you know. Often for many years. 

Making a name for yourself.  Making friends. 

The important part of any MMO rpg. 

It's a nice fealing when you are happy seeing people who are happy to see you. 

But also TO CRUSH OUR ENEMIES! 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Spiral.3724 said:

Why do YOU play WvW?

At this point it's irrelevant as the Dev's are nuking the mode. Because if there's no World, then there's no community.

The modes going to go the way of the dodo like EotM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I like situation meeting up/fight against random people.
I also like making some fun build and testing it.
Outwitting enemy zerg is one of my funniest moment.

These are rarely happen in guild group composition. That's why do I play wvw as solo roamer.

Edited by nsk.4762
typo (compotision -> composition)
  • Like 3

Because it doesn't matter.

It's weird sounding, I know.  My biggest issue with sPVP is that it is a team game where you're expected to try and win.  This puts a lot of impositions onto the players to do well and research and practice, and I just don't want to deal with that.  But in WvW my failure or success is largely meaningless, and there is no grand expectations for victory.  This frees me up to be experimental and just have fun.  There's no pressure when I'm doing the weekly and daily tasks in WvW.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Spiral.3724 said:

But my second account doesn't have a guild and I feel unhappy about the loss of 'worlds'.

So does that presumably mean it’s not on the same world as your main account?

Because it would be incredibly ironic if people with multiple accounts on multiple worlds where the ones that complained about server pride and loss of worlds with WR…

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Spiral.3724 said:

For me, I have a big guild with a great commander and fun guildies. It's about the camaraderie and teamwork to achieve goals.
Why do roamers, scouts, gankers play WvW?
Why do YOU play WvW?

I Roam, Havoc and Pugmand. My guild is small and on less and less, but have played across various games for decades.

So to answer your questions, a solo player has many roles. Scout, roam, and gank, and a lot more not mentioned. Yet those same roles can be filled by roamers and Havocs. 

So why would a roamer player try it? Because its not easy. It ups the challenge.  Why would a roamer go for a 1v1, 1v2, 1v6? Because they want to practice. And it part of the mental game. 

Why does a player fill a Roamer role, to do the most with the least and slow down a larger side and make them use more to stop you. Even if you lose, you win.

I came to WvW to do map completion.
I stuck around because unlike PVE you can actually die and have to pay attention.
I stay because I like my guild full of nutcases and loonies, without them I'd have stopped playing probably around 2015.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like most players, I started GW2 as PvE. At some point, it went stale, because no matter the content, it's always the same. Pushing big numbers or faster clears never appealed to me.

WvW is an always changing, dynamic content, that's what does it for me. Feeling spicy? I go roam. A bit tired? Join a pug tag. With my guildies, always trying different ways to beat the strongest squads in the game. After years playing WvW, PvE feels.... lacking.

With a little bit of love WvW would be phenomenal. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Its the only pvp setting that has unrestricted gearing. So I can build for any niche I want. In addition to that I dont feel forced or predisposed to 'x' role, just because I play 'y' class.

Also the dynamics and 24/7 matchup keeps me invested and looking for new tactics and playstyles. Plus it still has the most unhinged banter and convos out of the 3 modes.

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Spiral.3724 said:

Why do YOU play WvW?

To record fun kitten like this....

Firstly Anet should not give underage kids license to use mounts in WvW.

Secondly Ranger said  "Anakin, I have the high ground."

Finally i just asked someone to hold my beer....

• Haha 6
  • Confused 2

Playing a mode with other humans that is PvP and PvE in one. The tasks are always the same, but the execution differs depending on how the other side reacts. A game of cat and mouse.

I just like mixed competitive modes like this. Not just pve and not just pvp.

And it's the only place left of my language. And it offers a wide variety of tasks. And I can come and go whenever I want.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

I stay because I like my guild full of nutcases and loonies, without them I'd have stopped playing probably around 2015.

lol, good reasons. Some of us also do this since we see the same in servermates as well as guildmates. 🙂

We all need to consider what comes come 6/14. So be ready in all forms. Good hunting all!

I think since 1987, R.E.M has said it the best 🙂

And if you we are in same shard, send me a wave! And when Roaming, will always welcome a dance off if not in a Havoc or Pugmand form. Good hunting!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I like to kick kitten on Ele and talk sh*t in a banterous way ^^ Compared to open world PvE, where while you can play Ele but it will just feel mid as hell, and you can talk in a way to people that WvW players would find funny people will just oust you for being a weirdo, and are going to start talking about lore, overused memes, or RP instead (neither of which are particularly interesting)

edit: also what I like about WvW is the free nature of it. You don't have to sweat 24/7, like in PvP, just to get things done, you can sit back if you want and transform into a nuhoch and just watch battles while socializing xD

Edited by Codename T.2847

After I quit gw2 way back (like early PoF?) I ended up on a short-lived game called Crowfall. Open world PVP, full loot drop etc, but the game wasn't amazing, had no marketing and a very small community. A friend from Gw2 joined me on there and we roamed for like an hour seeing no content, and he just said "why are we not on gw2" aaaaaand since then it's been like 4 years of solid roaming. Needed something to scratch the improvement itch during the pandemic.

• Like 4

I think Metas are boring as hell (no fault of gw2, I hate that kind of content in any game), Strikes/Raids are fun but can be kinda hard to have access to, and finding fights against actual people is one of the most fun ways to enjoy what I believe is one of the best combat systems in MMO history (even if it is hampered by a poorly designed condi mechanic and a hell of a lot of invuln mechanics). 

These days, it's pretty much all about having fun with my guildmates/friends. I've definitely had to adjust my play style, as in the past I was predominately a solo-roamer/scout, but solo-roaming has gone the way of the dodo as they've been largely pigeon-holed into playing either cele-Willbender or cele-Harbinger. Otherwise all I encounter when I solo roam are groups of 5-10, and I don't play run-away builds so I'm pretty much SOL.

But yeah, it's really about having fun with my guildmates/friends and trying to beat up on the larger squads/boonballs despite our inferior numbers. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, but so long as we're laughing and having fun along the way we'll keep coming back (for now at least, until Anet completely destroys the gamemode, as they seem so focused on doing of late).

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 4:39 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

lol, good reasons. Some of us also do this since we see the same in servermates as well as guildmates. 🙂

We all need to consider what comes come 6/14. So be ready in all forms. Good hunting all!

I think since 1987, R.E.M has said it the best 🙂

And if you we are in same shard, send me a wave! And when Roaming, will always welcome a dance off if not in a Havoc or Pugmand form. Good hunting!

kitten, that song is THAT old? I really am getting old.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ronin.4501 said:

kitten, that song is THAT old? I really am getting old.

ikr! 🙂 Tempus Fugit. 

lol, I think why this will always be my go to change song is the refrain, the dichotomy of it that hits the mark. Its matched so many events over decades that makes me return time after time to it. I can't even count the number of friends have known and lost while this song carries us across those bounds. Times change, new times will be had. 

To new friends! o/

To old friends o/

To friend's time catches. 😞 De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
  • Like 1