Guild Wars 2 Expansion Reveal: June 4

• ArenaNet Staff

Today we published a retrospective on the development of Secrets of the Obscure--and wrapped it up with a little preview of our next expansion! We hope you like what you see here and we can't wait to share more with you next week!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Finally removing water/ground differences and you can use ground weapons on water? Weird them to release a skin that matches spear and staff nowadays. YEAH THAT'S ALL I FOCUSED ON HAHHAHAHAHA

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Eh...could be a staff?

Considering the same skin underwater and the title of the vid being "There's something leaving the water"... probably not a staff.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Did you see that it was hold one handed? Thats no staff.

Elementalist staff holds it one handed in most animations. One profession could perfectly one-hand a staff.

I love how they picture a beautiful misterious landscape and all we talk is about the water stuff hahahaha. I'm not against underwater weapons in land. It's cool. But if they do that, at minimum I also want ground weapons on water, to be 100% equal in that.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DarkK.7368 said:

Elementalist staff holds it one handed in most animations. One profession could perfectly one-hand a staff.

I love how they picture a beautiful misterious landscape and all we talk is about the water stuff hahahaha. I'm not against underwater weapons in land. It's cool. But if they do that, at minimum I also want ground weapons on water, to be 100% equal in that.

They probably wouldn't do that since some skills are ground targetted and would have to be refitted for the Z Y plane. They would have to do SO many sets. All professions have only 1 or only 2 underwater weapons to fit to land. I can kinda see a spear on land but a trident and spear gun I dunno lol I guess alt staff and alt rifle?

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Sad 1

Well, is it spear we all will get as a land weapon (so every profession gets spear and 5 new weapon skills) or each profession gets one under water weapon from the arsenal of three (trident, spear and speargun) to be a land weapon, still leaving us with 5 new weapon skills? After the (kind of disapointement) which was Ele pistol, getting a new weapon is not a selling point for me (there are some decent ones, like Axe Thief and Sword Necro, but...). Give me something else to get me excited.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

or each profession gets one under water weapon from the arsenal of three (trident, spear and speargun) to be a land weapon

Thinking more about it... It sounds nonsense to make speargun on land. Why do I want a second rifle with... different rifle skills? It's exactly the same rifle and speargun, just with a metal point in the tip. Also, to be more fair, the only difference between spear and staff is its magicalness. A staff is just a spear with 3 points that, instead of stabs, uses magic. And lately we've seen physical staffs (rev, warr and thief) and we have magical swords, so... really I see no point into making ground tridents.

My best bet is...

ALL professions get spear. And depending of profession, some may use it physical (revenant), some magical (ele), some like javelins (warrior).

ALL trident skins are duplicated into staff categories, so people can use tridents skins in ground as staffs (no point into making ground tridents).

ALL harpoon skins are duplicated into rifles categories, so people can use harpoons skins in ground as rifles (no point into making ground harpoons).

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I know everyone else is going to be focusing on land spears, but I'm more intrigued by the buildings shown at the end. I don't recognise that architecture style, does that mean it's something new, or has it been seen already and I've forgotten? I'm really hoping it's new, because that suggests we're going to encounter a new culture.

The landscape definitely reminds me of Drizzlewood, which makes me think north west Tyria is likely.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I know everyone else is going to be focusing on land spears, but I'm more intrigued by the buildings shown at the end. I don't recognise that architecture style, does that mean it's something new, or has it been seen already and I've forgotten? I'm really hoping it's new, because that suggests we're going to encounter a new culture.

The landscape definitely reminds me of Drizzlewood, which makes me think north west Tyria is likely.

Rivendell for sure. We're going to see some elves...

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

I am curious about how the balance team will address the current disparities in underwater combat. Currently, daredevil spear users are virtually unkillable under water, where other classes languish without functional skills or utilities. 

I am excited though. Hopefully the endgame competitive modes in GW2 get some attention, needed for long term replayability. WvW is long due for a new map.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DarkK.7368 said:

Thinking more about it... It sounds nonsense to make speargun on land. Why do I want a second rifle with... different rifle skills? It's exactly the same rifle and speargun, just with a metal point in the tip. Also, to be more fair, the only difference between spear and staff is its magicalness. A staff is just a spear with 3 points that, instead of stabs, uses magic. And lately we've seen physical staffs (rev, warr and thief) and we have magical swords, so... really I see no point into making ground tridents.

Spearguns could be for professions who do not have a rifle yet, so that there is no duplicate rifle. Retiarius Roman gladiators used Tridents and a partisan polearm is a bit like a trident. Giving everone a spear is easier, than having to deal with all three types of existing under water weapons (less animations to come up with). Doesn't matter which option they chose to give us. It does not fuel my hype train...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Maybe also underwater combat and Kodan (Waiting Sorrow).

For me, the best they can do to improve water combat, is removing water combat. I LOVE fighting underwater, but I want to use my land weapons and land utilities underwater. Exactly same skills, just adjusted. So please remove my breather and my spear there, thanks.

Edited by DarkK.7368
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

They probably wouldn't do that since some skills are ground targetted and would have to be refitted for the Z Y plane. They would have to do SO many sets. All professions have only 1 or only 2 underwater weapons to fit to land. I can kinda see a spear on land but a trident and spear gun I dunno lol I guess alt staff and alt rifle?

I just found out that you can have lot of ways to handle that.

For example, while underwater, make an imaginary ground-flat-floor IN FRONT of where your character is looking. Then, all skills work exactly like in ground. It would be easy to just move towards where you want to act, and there you can aim.

Another simple solution? Fix the imaginary ground-flat-floor parallel to water level. So, no matter where you are looking at, there's always an invisible floor AT YOUR FEET that expands infinitely in all directions parallel to water level. You can add some system to easily get or lose height to adjust to enemy's height (even some automatic system. Character automatically moves to same target's height in water if you maintain jump), and then you can ground-target stuff easily.

With a bit of tweaks and creativity, I think this system could work. And to be fair, ANY system that you came up with, cannot be worse than current one in terms of popularity. And when you have this, then it's trivial to make literally ALL weapons and ALL skills from ground into underwater with zero difficulty. And that vastly increases people's favour towards underwater, cause they can use the builds they know and love.

And this even opens the ground to make aerial fights! Isn't underwater content the same as flying content, but with water instead of air?

Edited by DarkK.7368
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Hoping to god the stance for the spear on land is in early work in progress, it looks really goofy.

It's probably a case of class-based stances, like how even though they're both ranged staff users, Elementalists and Mesmers hold their staves differently

I would imagine that the reason the character in the trailer is holding a spear in one hand like that is due to their class and how that class uses the spear... perhaps with a shield in the off-hand? 🤔

• Confused 1