A First Look at Homesteads: Exclusive Preview from PC Gamer [Merged]

Rubi Bayer.8493

Sheesh!  To all the naysayers about the new housing, give it a chance.  This is going to be the first iteration of housing in our game.  I fully expect more features to be added in the quarterly releases and future expacs.  You can't have an absolute beast of a housing system on day 1.  Give it time, please, and try to enjoy it before tearing it to pieces without a peek into your homestead.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kiof.5710 said:

Sheesh!  To all the naysayers about the new housing, give it a chance.  This is going to be the first iteration of housing in our game.  I fully expect more features to be added in the quarterly releases and future expacs.  You can't have an absolute beast of a housing system on day 1.  Give it time, please, and try to enjoy it before tearing it to pieces without a peek into your homestead.

The 3 quarterly releases sure but dont think we will see any more additions in future mini expansion mate.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Kiof.5710 said:

Right. Except they are asking money upfront for it. So the burden is on them is to deliver a good housing system on day 1. Yet all they've shown us is a glorified guild hall where we can park our alts and build stupid things in. They aren't even trying to compete with the housing systems of other games. What they've shown doesn't even meet the bare minimum I would have expected from a housing system we've been asking for years for. It just appears like Anet are adding new features by the numbers now and don't seem to care anymore.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

No requirement to pre-purchase, or purchase before the 9-month mark. If you wish to give 'money upfront', that is your choice and your choice only.

You're making excuses.

It's not about the money. I would pay 3x the amount they are asking for Janthir Wilds if it delivered a good housing system. Unfortunately this is what GW2 has come to and nobody seems to care. It's just low expectations all around and always giving Anet a free pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

It seems many are pleased, nay excited, about the upcoming Homestead release.  Sorry to hear you find it less than. 

Each to their own.  Perhaps another game's housing can fulfill your expectations.

Good luck.

That's easy to find. No luck required. ESO is right next door with a whole brochure of houses to choose from. It has cozy penthouses all the way up to entire castles with dozens of locations across the entire game world to choose from.

Meanwhile GW2 - "We know you've been begging for housing for 10+ years, so here's a preset log cabin in one preset location. We can only do mini expansions now so this is all we can do, sorry about that. But see you on the Gemstore!"

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

not have option to jus see thm at home, like we all having a break together without moving them all of them from parked spots

I hope the dancing animation is optional, but even if it is, having them "just standing around" sounds silly, too. I would prefer to place them on stools by the fireplace, or asleep in a bed, or relaxing under a tree. We'll see.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for all the new features! Homesteads are looking a lot more attractive now that we know that it is more advanced than the current guild hall decoration system.

There is a question that still bugs me though. How do guest players join into homestead instances? Inviting guests easily encourages players to actually decorate. Home instances and guild halls that currently exist make it rather difficult for parties to assemble as outside guests. To guest players over, we need to be in the same party and then zone into an instance portal with the guests on the same map as the portal. It's not as easy as waypointing to the same waypoint or going into Lion's Arch and getting automatically prompted to join the group instance for a fractal.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

That's easy to find. No luck required. ESO is right next door with a whole brochure of houses to choose from. It has cozy penthouses all the way up to entire castles with dozens of locations across the entire game world to choose from.

ESO has been pumping those houses for years now which is primary reason why they have so many of them. Additionally, most of "houses" are simply a single room that reuses asset of "small room" within specific style. Not to mention the part where ESO sells single house instance for prices higher than whole expac in GW2.

And the sheer amount of instances to start with is not even the most praised part of the ESO housing system, it's the robust furnishing system, that enable people to make some crazy things inside those instances. On which department....

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Meanwhile GW2 - "We know you've been begging for housing for 10+ years, so here's a preset log cabin in one preset location. We can only do mini expansions now so this is all we can do, sorry about that. But see you on the Gemstore!"

GW2 introduces "furnishing" system that is flat out superior to the furnishing system of ESO, on all the highly praised elements of the system. ESO system does not support rescaling elements, you can only move and rotate them around. the precision movement axis are also stuck in single mode, instead of being able to move it within instance universal xyz axis, or moving it alongside decoration's own axis. and 1000 decorations limit straight out blows up the ESO technical capabilities out of the water. ESO for reference, has separate limits for different categories of furnishing, that in some cases feel arbitrary in what things get under which limit, that depends on the size of the home, but even largest type without paid sub, amounts to total 415 unique pieces. 830 with paid sub.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This looks promising. Did they mention somewhere if there is a limit to the amount of props/items you can place in the instance (other then the limit to 30 mounts) ?  Wit the amount of freedom, I can see people building their own jumping puzzles on their land(or any crazy, out of proportion construction).  Would have to not use your mounts off course. Maybe you can disable mounts in the instance.

I think we can hope for other Housing Themes in the future, maybe even other types of land plots,  if Housing is a success. And with that I mean people spending lots of gems in the store for it. Or maybe even bring back overall business to the game though I am not sure about that. I can see some people coming back to GW2 for at least a while for this, that would be nice. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

yea good point......its nice to come home and see all alts...............but cmon....im not gona move 20 of them from alt parking money............hmmm too bad.....y not have option to jus see thm at home, like we all having a break together without moving them all of them from parked spots

Characters in an instance are always anchored to their place in the game world. It's unlikely that putting a character in your homestead will remove their anchor. Otherwise, where would they go when you leave the instance?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I proposed a few features that existed in Wildstar, which arguably had the best housing in any MMO ever. Yet you claim most of those features would not improve GW2 housing?

It had, yet housing wasn't enough to keep the game alive. You need to realise, you can't have everything on day one, dozens of houses, environment etc.. More features maybe come in time. Some things take years to grow. Housing wasn't Anet's priority so they weren't secretly developing it for like 7 years. They started year maybe two years ago. They've done fairly good job.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nuldric.1239 said:

you can't have everything on day one, dozens of houses, environment etc.. More features maybe come in time. Some things take years to grow. Housing wasn't Anet's priority so they weren't secretly developing it for like 7 years. They started year maybe two years ago. They've done fairly good job.

They aren't going to do any of that. Not with these smaller expansions. They are no longer allowing themselves the development resources to grow it.

Housing looks to be contained to Janthir Wilds as one of it's main selling points, and any kind of "growth" will be Gemstore releases. They would have set a different precedent if they started housing out with options in a few different zones. But they've not said or done anything to indicate otherwise. If you want a different house they've made it pretty clear you are expected to build it yourself in a corner with floor tiles using their minecraft logic.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

They aren't going to do any of that. Not with these smaller expansions. They are no longer allowing themselves the development resources to grow it.

Housing looks to be contained to Janthir Wilds as one of it's main selling points, and any kind of "growth" will be Gemstore releases. They would have set a different precedent if they started housing out with options in a few different zones. But they've not said or done anything to indicate otherwise. If you want a different house they are expecting you to build it with floor tiles using their minecraft logic.

Yes, you're right, there will be gemstore expansions.

Yes, you're right, not everything will be there on day one.

Yes, you're right, they will continue to support the content with future releases

But, I'm not sure you're willing to listen to others on this. 

Your criticism is valid, but you're completely writing off a system we haven't even had time to test. 

The PC gamer video looked great in my opinion, it does everything I'd like Housing to do initially.

Do I want more locations? Of course, but resources are finite, if there's appetite and money, more locations will follow. 

I don't why you're getting so worked up over imaginary housing in an MMO, maybe take a breath and step back for a sec. 

• Thanks 3

I've listened to others, but everything they say just exemplifies the "this is fine" meme.

It's not fine, because the housing looks completely soulless and uninspired yet it's being praised to high heavens around here. It's like nobody saw an editing tool before. There's nothing to get excited about at all. It's a glorified parking lot for our alts.

It doesn't feel like a new chapter for GW2, it feels like retirement.

Buy Janthir Wilds, park all your alts and legendaries and quit the game. Log in once in a while to look at them again and realize how much time you wasted on the game. That's all GW2 housing looks like.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

I've listened to others, but everything they say just exemplifies the "this is fine" meme.

It's not fine, because the housing looks completely soulless and uninspired yet it's being praised to high heavens around here. It's like nobody saw an editing tool before. There's nothing to get excited about at all. It's a glorified parking lot for our alts.

Buy Janthir Wilds, park all your alts and legendaries and quit the game. Log in once in a while to look at them again and realize how much time you wasted on the game. That's all GW2 is.

So, give some examples of what you'd like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

The 3 quarterly releases sure but dont think we will see any more additions in future mini expansion mate.

You may be correct, but with no evidence to support it, I fully expect additional furnishings (both gems and earned) to be released with future content.  Time will tell I suppose.

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to A First Look at Homesteads: Exclusive Preview from PC Gamer [Merged]
4 hours ago, Kiof.5710 said:

You may be correct, but with no evidence to support it, I fully expect additional furnishings (both gems and earned) to be released with future content.  Time will tell I suppose.

With the recipe system, I'm guessing they'll place many of those recipes into holiday vendors among other vendors. They are still adding guild hall decorations into the guild hall system even though it was a Heart of Thorns feature. It's a safe bet.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 2:49 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Feelings are subjective. I just feel it's nice that it will (eventually) make harvesting easier. No other aspects elicit any feelings from me other than indifference.

Your feelings have been made clear, harping on about them serves no one. Other people have other feelings. Subjective.

• Thanks 3

On 6/26/2024 at 5:13 PM, quake.9023 said:

yea good point......its nice to come home and see all alts...............but cmon....im not gona move 20 of them from alt parking money............hmmm too bad.....y not have option to jus see thm at home, like we all having a break together without moving them all of them from parked spots

Yeah I won't be moving alts from money spots just to put them into a home instance. Kind of a shame we don't get separate home instances for each character but it seems to be an account wide thing which has its good points and it's bad points. Just SO glad we get xyz axis and resizing stuff. Been building bases in dcuo for a decade and man the interface there really needs work. You can't even place stuff on tables lol. Before dcuo I was doing elaborate bases in city of heroes and before that custom tiles in neverwinter nights, so I really like being able to customize stuff as much as possible.

Edited by Imaginos.3756
  • Confused 1