why do we need a 2nd spear for land?

in what universe does it make any sense to carry 1 spear in my "bag" and not being able to use it in land and under water? like, can't get the land one wet? cant get the one used on land in water to prevent contamination? they are both getting wet if i'm carrying them... why would any adventurer need to carry 2 of the exact same weapon to use 1 in land and 1 in water?

my complain is that after having a legendary spear now i need a 2nd weapon on all my toons or to get another legendary spear.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14

11 minutes ago, YtseJam.9784 said:

in what universe does it make any sense to carry 1 spear in my "bag" and not being able to use it in land and under water? like, can't get the land one wet? cant get the one used on land in water to prevent contamination? they are both getting wet if i'm carrying them... why would any adventurer need to carry 2 of the exact same weapon to use 1 in land and 1 in water?

In the GW2 Universe. You really need to see them as separate weapons. Lots of people, myself included, wanted spears on land. They already had spears as underwater weapons though. So they did the best thing they could to make it happen. You shouldn't be looking for logic and reason in fantasy games. We already have Greatswords as ranged weapons.

11 minutes ago, YtseJam.9784 said:

my complain is that after having a legendary spear now i need a 2nd weapon on all my toons or to get another legendary spear.

Ahh, now we come to the real complaint. Well, like I said, you should really see it as another weapon. That's easily done because they came out with entirely new skill sets for this weapon. As far as I'm concerned you should do yourself a favor and really just see this is a different weapon. It only became a spear because lots of people wanted it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

It's the same with other weapons that can be used in more than one slot. If my thief uses dagger as a main hand weapon in one set and an off-hand weapon in the second set I need 2 daggers, and yes that means if I'm using a legendary dagger and I want it in both I need a second legendary dagger (or an ascended one reskinned to look like the legendary).

I'm not sure why it's like that but it's not new or specific to spears, it's just how weapon slots work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Because introducing landspears was a knee-jerk reaction to the bad feedback to SotO. Kyle from marketing wanted to throw everything at the players as fast as possible so we got this half baked system instead of a proper weapon mastery.

• Like 5
  • Confused 17

There is a system in place to use the same weapon in the same slot of a different weapon set 2x, but the underwater weapons could throw a wrench into that system if the aquatic weapon slot sets were introduced to it. Say you have a sword in slot 1 of set 1 and left the slot 1 of set 2 empty. You would be provided with the same sword in both sets in the current system. Now say you had a spear inside of the aquatic set of weapons. If they let us reuse aquatic weapons inside of empty slots, which one would the system choose automatically? The spear or the sword? It gets even messier if you include both aquatic weapon sets. They would need to implement a feature to manually select which weapon set to reuse between those 2 or 3 sets. They could totally do it! I just see why they probably didn't, since it doesn't work with the current land weapon set system out of the box.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They took an old system consisting of water and land being two separate states with completely different weapons sets, and retrofitted it to make a weapon that works across both of them. 

The legendary spear can exist in one slot at a time, the same as every other legendary. We've known this since they announced it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

They took an old system consisting of water and land being two separate states with completely different weapons sets, and retrofitted it to make a weapon that works across both of them. 

The legendary spear can exist in one slot at a time, the same as every other legendary. We've known this since they announced it.

Forgive me, I may have misundertsood from the FAQ, but can't the legendary spear be used in multiple slots?

"Q: Will there be a new legendary spear?

A: There will be a new legendary spear released with our first major update following the expansion release. Additionally, the Legendary Armory will be expanded to store up to four Kamohoali’i Kotaki in case you want to wield all the spears, all the time!"

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Because they probably don't even know how to program the game for the switch between land and water combat to be seamless.

If i had to bet, the person that did that transition was fired long ago.

Edited by Inssengrimm.7924
  • Like 5
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, YtseJam.9784 said:

Its a system limitation due to how underwater combat was programmed. In order for them to change it they would have to rework the entire underwater combat system (which they need to do anyways, but thats an issue for another time)… maybe some day in the future we’ll see an underwater combat rework that expands the system to all weapons and removes the need for underwater weapon slots.

• Like 1

Like they said, technical limitations probably. This topic should go on Lore.

We can invent something. I like to imagine that underwater spear is infused with magic that empowers it to be used underwater, but that spell makes it weaker in land, so you carry two for efficiency.

Though I prefer to use the same skin on both and imagine it's literally the same. I don't care if I need two in my inventory, I came to accept that they can be the same because in-game I see it's the same.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Forgive me, I may have misundertsood from the FAQ, but can't the legendary spear be used in multiple slots?

"Q: Will there be a new legendary spear?

A: There will be a new legendary spear released with our first major update following the expansion release. Additionally, the Legendary Armory will be expanded to store up to four Kamohoali’i Kotaki in case you want to wield all the spears, all the time!"

I think what they're saying is that they increased the limit from 2 to 4, so you can theoretically make more multiples to fill all your land spots as well as both your water spots. 

So if you make 1 Kamohoali’i Kotaki, right now you can equip it in 1 water weapon spot per equipment panel per character. You can make a second if you want your water weapons to be spear/spear instead of spear/trident or whatever. Before the expansion, you can't add a third to your legendary armory because there's not a pre-JW way to use 3 spears in a single equipment tab.

With the expansion, you will now be able to make 4 separate Kamohoali’i Kotaki weapons and keep all of those in your legendary armory, and theoretically could then equip 2 in the water spots and 2 in the land spots.

The one point that has always confused me, is is that limit (sticking with spear to be consistent) 4 of any spear, or 4 of the Kamohoali’i Kotaki version of spear. 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, YtseJam.9784 said:

in what universe does it make any sense to carry 1 spear in my "bag" and not being able to use it in land and under water?

In the same universe you need a second greatsword, if you want to switch from greatsword to greatsword.
If you want the same weapon on two slots, you need two weapons.

That's how it is since release.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

It's because the game operates using slots. You have land weapon slots and underwater weapon slots. A weapon can only go in one slot at a time.

I agree that it feels counterintuitive, but it's an unfortunate outcome based on a design decision from launch, when they had probably decided that land weapons and underwater weapons would never cross over. And here we are now.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 1:21 PM, YtseJam.9784 said:

Some things are mechanics not lore based.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

It's because the game operates using slots. You have land weapon slots and underwater weapon slots. A weapon can only go in one slot at a time.

I agree that it feels counterintuitive, but it's an unfortunate outcome based on a design decision from launch, when they had probably decided that land weapons and underwater weapons would never cross over. And here we are now.

Again: it's nothing to do with some sort of fundamental split between land weapons and underwater weapons because exactly the same thing applies to using land weapons in different slots. Pick any profession that can use the same weapon in either hand (warrior swords, ranger axes, elementalist daggers etc.) and try using 1 weapon as a main hand weapon in one set and an offhand weapon in another. You can't, you'll need two of them.

There is one exception, which is if you keep the mainhand slot in the second weapon set empty you can swap the offhand without needing a second mainhand weapon, but that's the exception (and probably is something they decided to go out of their way to set up when the game was first in development).

• Like 2

I can't wait for them to open up underwater combat for all the land weaponskills, forcing everyone to get a second set of ascended/legendary weapons.

As money-grabbing as that sounds, I think it would be worth the gameplay improvement.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/27/2024 at 10:21 AM, YtseJam.9784 said:

Remember that underwater content in this game is so sparsely utilized that you can get away with immediately beginning with Kamo and fully enjoy yourself and never go into the water while you work on the second legendary spear. Just get a cheapo exotic spear for underwater content (that really isn't played much at all) in the meantime.

On 6/28/2024 at 6:24 AM, willow.8209 said:

The one point that has always confused me, is is that limit (sticking with spear to be consistent) 4 of any spear, or 4 of the Kamohoali’i Kotaki version of spear. 

Should be 4 of any legendary spear, but given that there's only one in the game they just used it's name.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

Should be 4 of any legendary spear, but given that there's only one in the game they just used it's name.

so are we limited in leggy skins to 2 of the other 2-H weapons? It matters which staves, for example, I make since I'll be locked out of other skins after 2 of them?

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Do you mean legendary weapons, not skins? Then the answer is: No. You can craft as many of a weapon type as you wish to own.

Crafting, but not equipping.
Legendaries you can add to your armory (aka use) are limited.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Armory#Armory_item_limits

2 hand and off hand weapons for example are limited to 2 per legy.
So if you craft 3 Exordium, you can add/use 2 of them and the 3rd one is useless. (If you can even craft it, I never tried)

1 hour ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Crafting, but not equipping.
Legendaries you can add to your armory (aka use) are limited.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Armory#Armory_item_limits

2 hand and off hand weapons for example are limited to 2 per legy.
So if you craft 3 Exordium, you can add/use 2 of them and the 3rd one is useless. (If you can even craft it, I never tried)

Essentially each individual leggy is limited to the amount you can equip at a time. Except earrings and rings of which you can have 1 max of each, except the wvw ring Conflux (due to the precursor not being unique).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Except earrings and rings of which you can have 1 max of each, except the wvw ring Conflux (due to the precursor not being unique).

I like exceptions of exceptions. 😄 

Exceptception.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lite Ning Strike.5203 said:

Just to be blunt it's called lazy programing and/or the leadership wanting to force more grind into an already grindy game that in the beginning we were told would not be the case.

Yeah, it's really not that deep...
You just can't equip one weapon in two slots, that's it. It's that simple. No "lazy programming" or "leaderhsip who want to force people into grind" nonesense.
Just common sense and a common game mechanic.

1 hour ago, Lite Ning Strike.5203 said:

Why should I have too I bought the game with the original promise not the changes.

And did these "promises" you talk about include that you can use one weapon on multiple slots simultaneously?
I don't think so. 🙂 

PS: People complaining about how "grindy" the game is, because you have to craft two weapons to equip two weapons actually show how grindless GW2 actually is. 😉

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2