How has the restructure changed your GW2 life?

How has the restructure changed your GW2 play time?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. How has your time in-game changed since the most recent update?

• I play more than I did before
    • Nothing changed
    • I play less
    • I basically quit
  2. 2. Do you prefer the new system or the old system?

• I prefer the new system
    • I prefer the old system

I stopped playing entirely. Everyone has a preference, and some changes get people to take breaks, but I think I'm pretty good on not being a part of GW2, as WvW was my favorite mode prior to the restructure. I'd love to see how the rest of the community has taken to the changes.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

I logged in, so there's that.

But I won't be considering a true return until they make further improvements.  I really love WvW and I'd willingly throw all of my free time at it, but I don't think it would be healthy to do so when it's in this state.

• Like 15

Not much of a difference really.

But I usually try to make sure that my gaming experience here doesn't have a single point of failure. So in general the change of one or multiple factors doesn't really impact me.  I've known the old system was a dead end for a while and took steps to not be dependent on it.

I think Anet probably overestimated how prepared people were (or didn't care anyways) though. I did write a lot to warn people that if they don't do anything, it may result in them quitting the game. Not sure if it went through to many though.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10

The team I'm on now has terrible coverage, but that was true before restructuring as well. I don't think restructuring has meaningfully changed my WvW experience so far, but I'm hopeful that next "relink" will be better.

IMO (without having seen the data), adding a new tier was probably too much. It's nice that there aren't as many queues, but speaking from the bottom of tier 5, we just don't have enough people most of the time.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Not much of a difference really.

But I usually try to make sure that my gaming experience here doesn't have a single point of failure. So in general the change of one or multiple factors doesn't really impact me.  I've known the old system was a dead end for a while and took steps to not be dependent on it.

I think Anet probably overestimated how prepared people were (or didn't care anyways) though. I did write a lot to warn people that if they don't do anything, it may result in them quitting the game. Not sure if it went through to many though.

The reality for probably 75% of the players, especially in this particular gamemode, is that they expect others to do things for them. They want to reap the most rewards from putting forth the least effort. And so a lot of those same players expected someone else to set up their alliance, put forth the effort to bring balance to their alliance by recruiting guilds that would give maximum coverage, fight guilds and ppt guilds, etc.  And when that didn't happen they got stuck with guilds and players they either don't know or don't mesh well with, and now they want to complain about it. And the sad reality is if Anet wiped the slate clean and did this all again, the results would probably be exactly the same. And I'm sure I'll get 3x the confused emojis that I get in likes, but that's just because it's coming from those players who didn't want to make the effort. I really don't feel sorry for them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 14

3 minutes ago, Ronin.4501 said:

The reality for probably 75% of the players, especially in this particular gamemode, is that they expect others to do things for them. They want to reap the most rewards from putting forth the least effort. And so a lot of those same players expected someone else to set up their alliance, put forth the effort to bring balance to their alliance by recruiting guilds that would give maximum coverage, fight guilds and ppt guilds, etc.  And when that didn't happen they got stuck with guilds and players they either don't know or don't mesh well with, and now they want to complain about it. And the sad reality is if Anet wiped the slate clean and did this all again, the results would probably be exactly the same. And I'm sure I'll get 3x the confused emojis that I get in likes, but that's just because it's coming from those players who didn't want to make the effort. I really don't feel sorry for them.

Pretty funny you talk about effort, when 75% of the players in those guilds and alliances didn't have to make much of an effort either, their leaders set up alliances, all they had to do was join a new guild. Bet most of these same players don't play much without a commander around either, they sit around waiting for something to happen, or only log on when it's raid time. Even being in a decent alliance doesn't stop the system from screwing you with mismatching players and coverage, some servers are still getting outnumbered in some time zones.

But hey you're part of a great giant alliance that has multiple commanders running in multiple time zones super stacking your squads to take over maps, so who cares right, just condemn everyone else not wanting to stack and blob it up. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Ronin.4501 said:

They want to reap the most rewards from putting forth the least effort

In some ways it reminds me of the bewilderment on the forums from PvE players when Power of the Mists was finally removed.  They had next to zero idea why they suddenly were not getting extra harvesting strikes at nodes sometimes.  So they noticed the extra rewards yet never realized it was from the efforts of others in a game mode they didn't participate in.  Glad that was done away with.  Took too long for Anet to remove it too.

Do players really think they are entitled to certain things without putting effort into them?  Yea, it's rhetorical question.  I already know the answer...

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

15 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Pretty funny you talk about effort, when 75% of the players in those guilds and alliances didn't have to make much of an effort either, their leaders set up alliances, all they had to do was join a new guild. Bet most of these same players don't play much without a commander around either, they sit around waiting for something to happen, or only log on when it's raid time. Even being in a decent alliance doesn't stop the system from screwing you with mismatching players and coverage, some servers are still getting outnumbered in some time zones.

But hey you're part of a great giant alliance that has multiple commanders running in multiple time zones super stacking your squads to take over maps, so who cares right, just condemn everyone else not wanting to stack and blob it up. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe that was the case for other alliances? I honestly don't know. But in our alliance pretty much all the players took part in making this alliance. None of our guilds were the big blob guilds you seem to assume we are. In fact none of the guilds that formed our alliance ran more than 30 players together prior to WR, and many of them were more likely to run 10-20. But we put in the effort as soon as this was announced and worked continually on it right up until it went live. And although we do have commanders almost every night (at least during NA), if we didn't, we'd still be out there playing. I'm sorry, but it's hard to feel sorry for all the people who want everything handed to them when we actually put in the effort.

Furthermore, we all saw the writing on the wall. Anet has forced us to play in massive boonballs, so we had to adapt. So instead of having squads of 10-30, we now have full squads of 50. If you want to keep holding your breath and hoping the meta changes, that's on you. But the meta is what it is. Has Anet ever really listened to this community before and rolled things back? NO. So what makes you think things are suddenly going to change now? Players will complain and whine, but eventually most will adapt and start playing the same way. It might not happen overnight, but eventually it will, same as it always has before.

EDIT: I should probably add that for the first 8-9 years of this game I was primarily a solo roamer. Then EoD came out, and I didn't enjoy playing cele harb and cele willbender, so I stopped roaming and joined a havoc guild. And that was fun for a minute until most of the other servers had the mega boonblobs. So we adapted again and started working with other guilds until we at least had some semblance of numbers to fight those mega boonblobs. So many players here keep wishing for the way things used to be, but so long as this game primarily revolves around PvE, the changes in PvE are going to affect what happens in WvW and we're going to have to keep adapting.

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 3
  • Confused 13

2 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

The reality for probably 75% of the players, especially in this particular gamemode, is that they expect others to do things for them. They want to reap the most rewards from putting forth the least effort. And so a lot of those same players expected someone else to set up their alliance, put forth the effort to bring balance to their alliance by recruiting guilds that would give maximum coverage, fight guilds and ppt guilds, etc.  And when that didn't happen they got stuck with guilds and players they either don't know or don't mesh well with, and now they want to complain about it. And the sad reality is if Anet wiped the slate clean and did this all again, the results would probably be exactly the same.

And that's honestly fine lol. Gw2 and most things in life are often just needing of a few carrying the many. Even when it came to the server communities, there were a few that did much work but guess what? Those people never get left behind.

Now I understand some people might be upset at the 500 limit (though later on we should have alliances of guilds.... surely keeping Discord contact or w/e isn't a burden)

But here's the tougher pill to swallow, lol:

You don't need to put much effort. You only need someone to give a kitten about playing with you.

I mean maybe that's why you have trouble understanding. You have certain skills and resources like scribe that are in demand, for example. And I can play multiple roles (poorly) but pretty consistently.

So players like us will always be in demand. And this ties into...

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

BTW,  do think the MM is kinda garbo, but I think that has to do more with spreading players over an extra tier.

It is precisely because this game is filled with so many lazybones that it is pretty easy to stand out.

But honestly, not even that is necessary.

Like one of my friends is lazy af in this game. They're so casual that I looked at their gear and saw them mix random runes together. Build? What build? And they only knew about alliances this week. And sure while they fixed their build, they don't have like forum problems (eg constantly getting 1 shot or pulled off the walls) so there is some effort occasionally.

But it doesn't matter because I pretty much told them to accept the alliance invite and set as guild beforehand. And that was that.

There's also 2-3 guildies that haven't played in months and all I do is mail them junk so I don't have to manage it, but I enjoyed playing with them and will be ready for them with the invites.

So in the end, you only need someone to want to play with you, and knows a bit about stuff.

See people can saying they want to with people, but do those people want to play with them? If said people made their alliances, and you pick whatever, well guess what? You're not getting to play with them.

It also doesn't help that I do recognize some of these names, but only in a negative way. Whether it be on the forums or in game, all I hear is negativity. They have nothing nice to say about anyone or anything. And I think the results show them selves.

2 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

And I'm sure I'll get 3x the confused emojis that I get in likes, but that's just because it's coming from those players who didn't want to make the effort. I really don't feel sorry for them.

*Shrugs*  Rent free. It's all for the memes-- even if every single post of mine is officially labeled as garbage it doesn't matter.

Like in a few days I'm not going to even remember what this thread is about. Because I'll still be playing the game and they will still be salty and have less than 1/10th my gold. I can afford to lose a few internet arguments here and there.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Confused 10

8 hours ago, Omegacide.8649 said:

I stopped playing entirely. Everyone has a preference, and some changes get people to take breaks, but I think I'm pretty good on not being a part of GW2, as WvW was my favorite mode prior to the restructure. I'd love to see how the rest of the community has taken to the changes.

None of the above. I went on vacation. I am seeing new people, places and times. Still working on running chill, but trying to get peeps ready for tourney tactics :). Or, at least what that means. 🙂 We are living in interesting times. Good hunting!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Omegacide.8649 said:

Same trash is recycled

More trash is added

-Repeat-

Same trash is recycle

More trash is added

-Repeat-

When you are trying to balance trash on trash can, what do you expect to come out?

WvW Community has been treated as trash can...as a recycle trash far too long. It is time for WvW Community to send a clear message to Anet; we are worth more than the value you place on us. WvW Community are done being always available to you. WvW Community are done pleasing you. WVW Community are done being treated for less after years and after years. WvW Community will never win because you will never change. 

Anet we understand you very clearly, you don't Respect, Value, Cherish and Appreciate WvW Community. 

You've taken us for granted far too long. You gave us moer then enough of false hope, empty promises by telling us that you care about us.   You assume that we will always be there to be treated all over as trash can and as a recycle can.  

We've seen plenty and enough of your mocking balance stream videos, laughing at us, making jokes at what is negatively affecting our experiences, turning our game mode into a live tv comedy clown fieasta network show.

You love it!!

You find pleasure in our pain at each time we express our concerns on the forums by intensifying more damage to our experiences. 

You've made your decisions long time ago to treat WvW Community for less than we deserve.

This isn't about feelings, this is about finding what we deserve better and leaving the trash behind. 

You intentionally Allow, Tolerated and Promoted Toxicity to ruin every chance our experiences and our happiness years and years and over and over again. 

We went above and beyond to provide you with more then enough of everything to make our home-WvW a better place and and Healthy Competitive Gaming Experience.

Your response....Rejection

"The chains that break you are the chains that make you. And the chains that make you are the chains you break."

"Rejection teaches you how to reject."

We Win!!

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

It's never going to be the same, especially since before server linkings.

With the amount of active population, commanders and guilds. At least for someone who's played 12 years of this game mode, with breaks and trying to cope by having alt accounts, due to communities breaking and bandwagoning of players and guilds, partly thanks to the old link system.

Edited by RisingDawn.5796
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I did write a lot to warn people that if they don't do anything,

Doing nothing or doing something about what? It's not up to you or me. Anet is changing things at WVW, and it's doing it halfway. You can't delete servers and maintain a server-based game design. But is it possible not to see it? What do you want a player to do in reference to this?  Does he take over the coding of this game and set about fixing it on his own?

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

And so a lot of those same players expected someone else to set up their alliance

But let me understand what you do with an alliance, when we have cancelled all forms of competition and confrontation? When I read this, I am always stunned.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Do players really think they are entitled to certain things without putting effort into them?

But what effort are we talking about? Until June 14, this was a large-scale PvP game. Choose a team and you'll find yourself in a format of competition and confrontation. About what? of teams/servers. I strain myself when I go to the toilet. When I get into a game, I have fun. if the game is well done.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

None of the above. I went on vacation. I am seeing new people, places and times. Still working on running chill, but trying to get peeps ready for tourney tactics :). Or, at least what that means. 🙂 We are living in interesting times. Good hunting!

Dear The Grimm, when you come back from vacation, and you realize this half-finished job, let us know. Holidays always come to an end. It won't save you long to be on vacation.

2nd question did need a 3rd option as it's still too soon for a real answer(3rd matchup reshuffle or so).

Still I just play a little less, but that just just matched my trend of playtime over the life of the game so nothing new there.

Many matchups just seem off, and few are relatively close in kills AND victory points. It was stated if you planned for this new system well enough you succeed, which is believable. It does just seem like the real winners are the ones in the superguilds, as they put in the most effort(in the setup front at least). Everyone likes having an advantage, and many want that advantage without dominating, but the new system is too volatile and that line is hard to tow, so things can get unbalanced very easily. Right now it seems the groups that want this advantage are getting it easier than links, which still favored these groups over singular servers. Original system at least filtered the more serious groups into the higher tiers in a more natural fashion, I don't think our new system will be able to do it efficiently or quickly enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RisingDawn.5796 said:

It's never going to be the same, especially since before server linkings.

it's just a matter of choice. When you tackle a job there's usually only 1 right way to do it. the best way. Then there are other 'right' ways and finally there are the wrong ways to deal with it.

It seems trivial what I'm writing here, but it's not. Even in real life, you'll notice how many people can make bad choices. Often even complete good faith. And in life, if you're looking for a good result, these things ''make'' the difference. We can see it well here as well. Anet is bona fide, he really wants to make WVW better. It chooses how and where to put the time and money for development.

Edited by Mabi black.1824

I am undecided about the new or old system, still the poll gives me no option.

My play time hasn't really been affected by the change. Other factors, like the defense participation fiasco (wall repairs don't count for participation, walls need 50% to get closed again, who on earth knows how you get participation for defenses anyway etc.) has reduced my play time more than having to move "from AG to [AurA]".