How to Get Everyone to Quit

I get Anet wants maps to stay fluid, and for objectives to be reasonable to capture...but they've gone way too far away from defense.

When a server is already down on players, the last thing it needs is to have its towers and keeps overrun within 30 seconds. When this happens, the already low population defenders all log off because, why bother?

How hard is this to understand? 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 6

Posted (edited)

To help illustrate the point, we were outnumbered in EBG. Tier 1 garrison. Built siege on south other gate of garrison.

No exaggerating, after building siege we walked from garrison to SMC. By the time we got to SMC, OJs popped on our garrison right at the gate we had been at.

By the time we walked back to garrison the enemy was through the south gate we had been at and though inner gate as well. That's like, maybe 1 minute...tops. Not even remotely close enough time for anyone to respond. Utterly disheartening for players. Morale goes to zero. Everyone logs off.

Again, I understand the desire to have fluid maps with objectives that are obtainable. But, if you make the game lopsided even more against lower population servers, you'll speed up the exodus of players from the game mode.

Edited by Stone.6751
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

You building siege in the wrong place, Garrison is on the borderland, SMC is in Eternal Battleground, next time don't walk, run and use warclaw.

No, EBG has garrisons too. I think you are confused.

And I didn't mean walk literally, we were on warclaw. The point is it only took 60 seconds to get to lord. When a map is already outnumbered, that's how you get everyone on the map to quit the game. Why would anyone stay? It's not fun, you can't attack or defend or do anything but get run over. Just log out. It's what people are doing.

It is hopelessness when even slightly outmanned. So many other ways to spend time playing, so many other fun games to play, why would anyone choose to spend any time hopelessly being a punching bag?

This may be the reset that makes me realize it's time to find something new. It simply is not fun gameplay in its current state.

Edited by Stone.6751
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

You building siege in the wrong place, Garrison is on the borderland, SMC is in Eternal Battleground, next time don't walk, run and use warclaw.

Wow, such malicious comment, you fully understood what he meant and still wrote what you wrote. 

To the rest of the topic, don't expect much from A-net since it seems like they want that PPT be as smooth as possible for their pve boonballs.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

What I feared about WvW has come to fruition imo -  its become a tragic waste of time even loading into the gamemode now... how many years have ANET spent to get to this pile of dolyak poop.

Out of whack balance in the matchups, with halve of the matchups empty after the first hour of reset because of the obvious imbalance, now scoring messed up, total whack job defense nerfs further demoralising under populated teams... its become both a joke and a nightmare all in one.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, One more for the road.8950 said:

Technically, home borderland has garrisons, EBG has keeps.

Also technically, garrison is a keep.

Even more to the point of being technical, mine and the referred to post(s) are about as helpful to this thread as anet in adjusting wvw. :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

if they dont absolutely nail the relinks/matchup populations this upcoming friday the population will take a really big hit it seems.

edit, lol and they want us to buy an xpac next month!

Edited by RlyOsim.2497
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Stone.6751 said:

To help illustrate the point, we were outnumbered in EBG. Tier 1 garrison. Built siege on south other gate of garrison.

No exaggerating, after building siege we walked from garrison to SMC. By the time we got to SMC, OJs popped on our garrison right at the gate we had been at.

By the time we walked back to garrison the enemy was through the south gate we had been at and though inner gate as well. That's like, maybe 1 minute...tops. Not even remotely close enough time for anyone to respond. Utterly disheartening for players. Morale goes to zero. Everyone logs off.

Again, I understand the desire to have fluid maps with objectives that are obtainable. But, if you make the game lopsided even more against lower population servers, you'll speed up the exodus of players from the game mode.

Sounds like a classic case of bad scouting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Sounds like a classic case of bad scouting.

I kid you not. We built an AC above the outer gate. Ran to SMC, saw OJs on the outer gate we had just been at, ran back, and in that time they were through inner gate too. 

But yes, we were outnumbered so not a lot of scouting, but that's also kind of the point I'm making. We didn't even have time to get back, and we turned around and ran right back as soon as we saw OJs, to even try and defend before they were on lord.

There was no chance, no time, for a smaller group to get there and even make an attempt at defending our T1 keep. The only way we could have defended is if we had a squad big enough to fight them on the lord.

At that point it was clear it had become completely hopeless. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I think some people understand the point.

Edited by Stone.6751
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Stone.6751 said:

I kid you not. We built an AC above the outer gate. Ran to SMC, saw OJs on the outer gate we had just been at, ran back, and in that time they were through inner gate too. 

But yes, we were outnumbered so not a lot of scouting, but that's also kind of the point I'm making. We didn't even have time to get back, and we turned around and ran right back as soon as we saw OJs, to even try and defend before they were on lord.

There was no chance, no time, for a smaller group to get there and even make an attempt at defending our T1 keep. The only way we could have defended is if we had a squad big enough to fight them on the lord.

At that point it was clear it had become completely hopeless. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I think some people understand the point.

I mean, even if you've got instanly info from a scout, there's still a lot of time that would take you to get back and that lone scout wouldn't be able to slow down enemies either way since sieges deal almost 0 damage to enemy sieges and disabler was removed from game.
Lose-lose situation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Exactly. There is no backstop on the maps for groups that are outmanned anymore. Keeps used to be an objective you could fall back to and use the wall and siege as leverage to try and equalize the fight, defend and hope that backup arrives.

Not anymore. Keep walls are a minor speed bump for enemy squads.  When this happens, players ask "why bother" and leave.

Edited by Stone.6751
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Codename T.2847 said:

I'm having more fun running around in PvE nowadays, something which I thought would never occur again when I started WvW, so yeah player retention is not exactly great. 

I have switched for PVE too and other games. Playing less than 50% what i did before WR and if this continues in near future, prolly gonna quit gw2.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

Anet made so many changes that favor the blob that they were one step from just removing the wall entirely.   Pretty soon, the only people left will be the blobs that run around taking structures wondering where their bags ran off to. 

Just in EBG, T3 keep with cannons, oil, mortars, arrow carts, golems, catas to defend. About 20 people inside to defend. Full supply.

Full enemy squad scouted at outer wall. Took about 2 minutes until they were on lord. We can't use wall siege because we get pulled or just killed. We can't fight them head on. They shrug off arrow carts.

Time from scouted at wall to T3 keep is gone maybe 5 minutes and that's only because they cleared siege from the walls first and the other enemy blob showed up to give them a minute of pause. We had some people to defend, supply, siege, tactics, but it's literally a minor speed bump that does nothing to slow them down. Unless you have an equal size squad to fight them when they break through, there seems to be no point in defending objectives except to give the enemies bags. No thanks.

The keep is lost in a flash. People leave the map feeling disheartened and hopeless - after all, it wasn't even a fun attempt to defend. There was no fight.

The cycle downwards continues.

Edited by Stone.6751
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blockhead Magee.3092 said:

Anet made so many changes that favor the blob that they were one step from just removing the wall entirely.   Pretty soon, the only people left will be the blobs that run around taking structures wondering where their bags ran off to. 

If there is nobody to take them back it be a short run.

Defending became rather impossible if you dont have the same numbers, the insane wall pulls, pulls through gates. Its too stupid. I used to enjoy defending now i just look and see if i can take down someone that wanders off by mistake.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daxia.1425 said:

Defending became rather impossible if you dont have the same numbers, the insane wall pulls, pulls through gates. Its too stupid. I used to enjoy defending now i just look and see if i can take down someone that wanders off by mistake.

This.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, One more for the road.8950 said:

Technically, home borderland has garrisons, EBG has keeps.

Actually only Alpine Borderlands have Garrisions and the Red Desert Borderland has a Rampart. People refer to Stoic Rampart as a Garrison but it's not called a Garrison, so really one could also call the Keeps in EBG Garrisons. But the general consensus is to call the Home keeps on the home borderlands Garrissons and the ones on EBG not, so best stick to that.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Stone.6751 said:

No, EBG has garrisons too. I think you are confused.

And I didn't mean walk literally, we were on warclaw. The point is it only took 60 seconds to get to lord. When a map is already outnumbered, that's how you get everyone on the map to quit the game. Why would anyone stay? It's not fun, you can't attack or defend or do anything but get run over. Just log out. It's what people are doing.

It is hopelessness when even slightly outmanned. So many other ways to spend time playing, so many other fun games to play, why would anyone choose to spend any time hopelessly being a punching bag?

This may be the reset that makes me realize it's time to find something new. It simply is not fun gameplay in its current state.

If you want people to help, first you must know the place and their name, calling them by the wrong names just confuses people. There are no garrison on EBG
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Battlegrounds

The maps are name well by Anet, you have the land faraway -the borderlands with garrison to guard enemy entering and then you have your Valley, Lowland and Overlook (this is the team's keeps) where you set out to fight for the Castle, there is no garrison on ebg only keep and castle.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1