sPvP is in the worst possible state since Vanilla Launch.

I want to preface this by saying that i've played this game for over 3000 hours and most of my time was spent  in sPvP and WvW since day 1 launch , multiple-classes-professions across the years , got my legendary pvp armor and reached plat in multiple seasons and had amazing streaks in 2v2 and 3v3 arena. I'm not one to write such posts and I know this is not an airport so I won't announce my departure , I will just blatantly quit.

Whenever I come back to a new expansion I see that the PvP balance is more and more in shambles , when you play against a fresh new player who barely has 2 months into this game and spams Balanced Condi Reaper which is one of the easiest classes ( keyboard faceroller ) and you struggle to main an ELE or anything else that can't compete with the condi pressure you just know this game belongs in the garbage bin.

Where is the skill in this game ? SWTOR and WoW is aeons in front of gw2 pvp balance , even dota or league owns gw2 in terms of balance , counterplay does exist and outplaying your opponent and managing your cooldowns is a thing in real games. Not here though. No sir.

There is no skill cap/gap anymore in this game you just jump into the most broken build from gw2 meta battle , you keybind and spam abilities and you win and you start thinking " man i'm such a pro " when in fact you are being on autopilot on set class.

WvW is just as bad if not worse but this is on the topic of sPvP and this is not a vent i'm just stating facts on the current gameplay/meta which is a truly bad joke.

TL:DR 

PvP in this game should be scrapped completely from the face of the digital earth.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

Just as I said in another post.
This game focused, and still focuses, way too much on balancing around 15 players or so.
Still dreaming with some pseudo-esports garbage. Muh Conquest.

The reality of PVP is that things such as Condi Reaper and Willbender are just far more ridiculously unfun for 99% of players than whatever circus is going on here on the forums. Players who would otherwise stick around for more than 2 hours if it weren't for such obnoxious interactions, which take little effort to learn and can be mastered relatively quickly.
This is why you only get people coming in for their event reward or achievement, and then they are done with the mode forever.

But no, nerf revenant/vindicator and maybe renegade _ thing that the same 10k playtime hours players use, and that's it. "This last MAT, the winner team had 2 support vindis and a renegade! The same team that at times kittened around with 3 renegades. Literally ruining pvp, please delete already."
And once those specs get mangled by wrong nerfs/buffs, it is time to complain about the next spec for the same thing.
"Fun? doesn't matter. We only want equal representation for the 0.1% of the games! Anything below MAT and plat games doesn't matter."

Players here, and the developers themselves, focusing exclusively on the 0.1% and completely ignoring how unfun the rest of the game is:
- Condis are just flawed and incredibly unfun to interact with. It doesn't matter at all if they're not "meta". They are a build check.
- Stealth is so backwards balanced here; for instance, you should be slower while in it, not the opposite and gain superspeed, etc. You also should not be able to port while in it (object permanence, useless). You shouldn't be allowed to pre-cast while in it.
- Ranged anything shouldn't be as good as melee (attacks with a range of 130). That's why anything without permanent resistance, stab, fields of kitten, ranged burst damage, teleports is automatically garbage.
(These are essentially the main culprits for the kittened up risk reward ratio)
- Conquest as the only game mode.

Lost cause, to be honest. What a kittening waste.

Edited by TruthSeeker.3697
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

the main problems in SPVP is that there is no focus roles, Developers will always focus on "mixed roles" meaning they want players to be "flexible".

1.For example if you're a healer, you're not really a "dedicated" healer, you're a pseudo healer with large amounts of damage.

2.Conditions is also a problem in today's Pvp, Some say it's easy to deal with condis by having tons of condi cleanses but the problem is that if you use a condi cleanse build you will have to sacrifice damage. Hence as to why condi bunkers are so popular today.

3.Condition builds are generally not fun to play against than power builds, Reason being is the amount of debuff effects, such as blind, chill and cripple that also comes with damage effect conditions, so practically any new player who are quite familiar with mainly physical damage abilities like other MMOs would find it irritating.

4.Movement mechanics. Movement in GW2 is VERY different from the typical MMORPG genre. It's simplistic nature is appealing compared to the mashed up hotkeys on other MMORPG. BUT it is ultimately clunky and full of flaws, Ability cancelling takes too much effort, sometimes abilities do not go where you really want it to go, enemies being able to leave necro marks behind as they run away as well as grenades from engis, making melee more frustrating.

5.Professions having too much similarities with other professions, for example a ranger ability that has a very similar ability as the revenant sword 3 ability.

6.The "flexible class system mechanic". The class system of GW2 is very versatile compared to other MMOs where a class is much more dedicated in it's role.

For example a bard, bards are typically a support role that buffs and heals team mates but as a counter measure to that class is that it does not do much damage. in GW2 a "support class" is not only able to give team mates buffs and heals but can also deal a large amount of debuffs and damage to enemies. As an example of druid.

This is due to developers not wanting players to be "left out" in a sense where you are stuck in one role.

7.Newer players have difficulty in adapting. The current SPVP has become much more complicated since PoF due to overcomplicated roles and questionable builds.

8.Teleportation abilities, Honestly i think the teleportation abilities are rather overused in this game, almost all classes/professions have one and i don't know why it was a good idea in the first place. It would be understandable that mesmers and elementalist would have one as it is fitting to their abilities and profession titles, but guardian(paladin), ranger, necromancer, engineers and thief should not have one as giving them these kind of abilities makes it less "special" since it all comes down to which professions does it better to me.

9.The progression system, As most of you already know you can use tome of knowledge to level up your character to max level. However this is quite the problem as newer players can simply go to the PVP world to be able to "test" the advanced professions. This makes it a problem as you are forced to be teamed up with a player that does not know the basics of his/her own profession. This causes Spvp to have a sort of "bot" problem.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Endo.1652 said:

Nah ive seen worse at least 5 seperate times

Same, but like 10. These people just like to complain and like it when their comments get hearts. Easiest way to do that is talk a bunch of negative nonsense. 

OP has clearly just picked up the game, because condi scepter ele wasn't even that long ago and that kitten was by far the worst balance I have seen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

16 minutes ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

Same, but like 10. These people just like to complain and like it when their comments get hearts. Easiest way to do that is talk a bunch of negative nonsense. 

OP has clearly just picked up the game, because condi scepter ele wasn't even that long ago and that kitten was by far the worst balance I have seen.

Yeah. The signet cata was pretty obnoxious too. If they think the meta is bad now. Imagine how theyd feel when HoT was released and high level games went to timer with a max of score of 5 to 10 pts.. 

1 hour ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

Clearly we don't play the same game and you also didn't read my post

sPvP is broken currently , afkers up to plat 1 , 5 bots on 1 account in pvp lobby at training dummy daily, bots in pvp have been an issue for years now , oneshot builds running amuck like this Oneshot Power Virtuoso , broken deadeye's with perma stealth , condi heavy comps you can't never deal with and the list goes on and on.

If you think my goal was too farm some useless emoji's on an already dead forum you are very wrong , this post was about the poor state of  things in terms of balancing in the PvP section which clearly they cannot do after 12 years of live service.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, offence.4726 said:

sPvP is broken currently , afkers up to plat 1 , 5 bots on 1 account in pvp lobby at training dummy daily, bots in pvp have been an issue for years now , oneshot builds running amuck like this Oneshot Power Virtuoso , broken deadeye's with perma stealth , condi heavy comps you can't never deal with and the list goes on and on.

Low population is an issue, certainly, but the biggest issue is player quality. If there were solid pvp players then the mentioned issues above wouldn't be all that bad. That's probably the #1 reason why the devs are adding that "training pvp map" (paraphrasing) come the expansion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

Low population is an issue, certainly, but the biggest issue is player quality. If there were solid pvp players then the mentioned issues above wouldn't be all that bad. That's probably the #1 reason why the devs are adding that "training pvp map" (paraphrasing) come the expansion.

lets hope it works and increases it overtime slightly 

The class design devs have no idea how pvp/wvw works.

The pvp/wvw devs have terrible ideas and are EXTREMELY biased.

The pvp/wvw devs listen to even more biased players in bad discords.

Mix these things together and you get the current pvp/wvw balance.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

We are literally one support chrono nerf from Condi Wars 2 Apocalypse
On monthly tournament we did not see almost any condi builds just because there was an sb, vindi and support chrono in every single game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skary.8956 said:

We are literally one support chrono nerf from Condi Wars 2 Apocalypse
On monthly tournament we did not see almost any condi builds just because there was an sb, vindi and support chrono in every single game.

From day 1 this game suffered from either power creep meta or condi meta , things will never change at this point and people just don't know any better and have no comparison with other games balance this is clear.

This game mode is an afterthought for ANET and it hasn't received any new changes , as in new modes , better - bigger maps or any decent balance changes since day 1 vanilla.

Hopefully GW3 will have a better team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

idk, early HoT and early PoF scourge/firebrand and the like was pretty awful
even more recently we had signet cata

certainly feels pretty unfun and more stale these days though, and the gap between the top and bottom of the totem pole is wider than it's ever been imo

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The problem with PvP is just that its not realy popular witch makes the matchmaking struggle hard. 

This but also that every class can Spam boons/conditions like its free food. For real If you want a General more difficult Game then nerf the hell out off the boons/Condi spam and with this i do not mean less stacks and less effective ..... i mean just straigth remove some from skills

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Population and match making wise? Oh absolutely.

In terms of balance definitely not, it's a bit more aids right now than it was around the release of SOTO, or other times in past when we have had a diverse and fun meta but it's honestly not too bad.

On 8/3/2024 at 1:53 PM, Frequency.6407 said:

I'll put this question here: GW2 PVP is worse compared to which other MMO?

It's worse then compared with : SWTOR , WoW I dare to say even worse then Throne and Liberty because atleast there the game-modes cater to a holy trinity and slightly bigger zones.

I actually say that gw2 pvp is the worst on the market and the current state of the pvp is even worse then previous years which is saying quite a lot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, offence.4726 said:

I actually say that gw2 pvp is the worst on the market and the current state of the pvp is even worse then previous years which is saying quite a lot.

At that point I suggest to just hit the uninstall button and go play a better game, if you dislike it so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

WvW is just as bad if not worse but this is on the topic of sPvP and this is not a vent i'm just stating facts on the current gameplay/meta which is a truly bad joke.

In WvW everyone can escape from everything now. So that mode is kinda balanced in that regard. You just avoid fights until you can create a favorable encounter (outnumbering, siege support etc.) or you just switch the map and do some PvDoor elsewhere.

Not quite what most people think a competitive mode should look like but at least you don't have to get trolled by cheese builds on capture points all day like in PvP.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

In WvW everyone can escape from everything now. So that mode is kinda balanced in that regard. You just avoid fights until you can create a favorable encounter (outnumbering, siege support etc.) or you just switch the map and do some PvDoor elsewhere.

Not quite what most people think a competitive mode should look like but at least you don't have to get trolled by cheese builds on capture points all day like in PvP.

Those troll builds exist especially in WvW and Deadeye is still the worst implementation in WvW to date. 

Also nothing changes the fact that you will never beat those builds or even have chance of  outplaying them. You can run yea but that shouldn't be an issue when it comes down to how bad the balancing in this game is in anything PvP related.

Edited by offence.4726
  • Like 2

I think this is the most careless dev team that I've ever seen out of all games.
Sitting there on a stream all smiles with the regular yes men content creators that are all sponsored.(Keep in mind the lapdog content creators are all complete bots in PVP)
Meanwhile sPVP is just a nightmare to play
Same old maps, no matchmaking and the balance is a complete joke.
Basically the mode with the most potential is a complete MESS its so bad I wont play ranked for second season in a row.

Shorts left, Noody is not playing and 3-4 of the content creators that I follow are no longer interested in PVP and almost never online.
Basically peak EU time feels like we are 30 palyers in total that play PVP

PS I think the OG crew created a masterpiece especially the Open World and the Combat and knowing that NCSoft kinda hates GW2 I've been quite supportive when I came back after 11 year break I've spent like 200-250$ on the game more than any other game I've ever played(3k hours on dota, 1.5k on CS, 500h on wow classic) just because of the potential of the game I've gifted all expansions to 3 of my friends on steam while on sale for what? for them to que their first game and to play 3 games in a row vs 4 man stacks because there is just no matchmaking 🤡🤡🤡
if you are such a great lead game designer how come you forgot to create such simple things like matchmaking, draft mode or some mechanism to prevent the games turning into the wild west??????
What to expect from people that have left SPB to be king for almost a year now

Edited by Skary.8956
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Mne Malo Tebya.2965 said:

there are countless streaming almost every day

Yeah I opened twitch and I counted 5 people in total were streaming sPVP by far the biggest stream was with 120 viewers and the other 4 people were with between 0 and 10 viewers.
This does not sound like a lot to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2