Enough with the "New Race"

Rikimaru.7890

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick disclosure, I don't have a dog in this race, I am not hedging my playing on a new race or not getting a new race.

That said the forums are an open place for people to comment about the game and hopefully provide some feedback to ANet on the game. Be that in its multiple forms, positive, negative or what not. As the player base there is a fine line between saying I like that idea but would prefer to see time spent on something else versus don't post any more about this since I can't see them doing it. That's for ANet, we want players to think big. We have seen a large number of ideas over time become concepts in game. Leave ANet as the developer to figure out the how/coulda/shoulda/woulda bits. There is no reason for players not to post I would love to have 'x'. You want them doing that so that it shows interest for future development concepts. Maybe that its concepts that feed into GW3, ok we start with 5 races and add 1 new per XPac and here is how we handle that to keep continuity. But I wouldn't want to tell people stop coming out and asking. I am not for posts that are 'do this or I am out', but there is nothing wrong with conceptualizing and showing interest over time. Please don't try and suppress people from posting what they would like, we could actually use more forum goers versus less since the forum remains directional at best since it is the minority of the player base.

Finally someone said it out loud!We have already a nice range of species (I refuse to call them "race", because that's not right) to choose from. Never change a running system, and if aNet would introduce just one with all the incredibly high amount of effort it would require, all people would request more and more to be implemented.

The GW universe is indeed rich with lore and different species, but we are fine. We have Asura and Charr, that's all we need forever.

Excelsior.

I don’t want them to spend time on a new race. I would prefer the costs for new voices, armor, story, etc to be spent on other new content rather than a race that either looks too similar to humans (we have enough of them already) or it’s so dissimilar that comparatively few players make a new race (as example: Charr are much fewer in game than humans even starting from launch as most people make a “Human” race rather than a beast race). As a further consideration even if they did add a Tengu race, it would be almost certainly be covered up by armor so you couldn’t see more than heads and hands and for some players it would be completely covered from head to toe.

A new race could either be very easy, or very difficult to implement. It all depends on the race. Take the Awakened for example. You could have accepted Joko and chosen to become what would essentially be retextured and voice morphed human. In all previous stories, you would just go back to being a normal human. By basing the race on an existing one, it becomes easy to implement. In comparison, something like the Tengu would require a new voice and a complete refitting of all the armor. As for the previous stories, a new race would likely start at 80, with the expansion's story doubling as their own, similar to GW1's expansions with a two-sided story intro. If you were to replay old stories, they could simply have the default commander as a stand-in, who would also show up in the intro of the expansion, and probably die to give you the opportunity to take their place.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"Rauderi.8706" said:tl;dr - Gimme burbs.

We could start by having a Tengu join Dragon's Watch. Gets us familiar with having one around, and at least integrates them into the story before releasing them as playable. And it's not like the story cared when Revenants were released.

Difference though is that one is a profession that doesn't affect the story, while your race does. Anet has already gave their statement about a new race anyways. They have said it's not impossible but it most likely isn't coming due to story issues.

what story issues?? they didnt see any problems spawning enemy land troops on a flying airshipits a matter of resources, nothing else

Story issues as in every single race has a personal story. From level 30 on that story coalesces with others, but before that there are unique racial stories, six in fact for each race. That takes work That needs to be voices. In addition all the other stories, later on, need to be voiced for the new race as well.

There's no inherent "need" that a new race needs the same sort of personal story or be included into the previous stories. It wouldnt make any sense at this point to let new races be intertwined with the same old 5 year old story.

Ofcourse, a new race would be slightly gimped on story that way, but I dont see that being a terrible issue or whatever.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I don’t want them to spend time on a new race. I would prefer the costs for new voices, armor, story, etc to be spent on other new content rather than a race that either looks too similar to humans (we have enough of them already) or it’s so dissimilar that comparatively few players make a new race (as example: Charr are much fewer in game than humans even starting from launch as most people make a “Human” race rather than a beast race). As a further consideration even if they did add a Tengu race, it would be almost certainly be covered up by armor so you couldn’t see more than heads and hands and for some players it would be completely covered from head to toe.

Perfectly fine opinion to have, but unfortunately, it's not your money to spend so you (nor I) have that final say.

@Mal.1670 said:Sigh... the real reason we'll probably never be getting a new race is because they already have to hire ten freaking voice actors for dozens of player character voice lines every single patch. TEN! Most games have one, maybe two voice actors for your character. It would already be enough work getting a playable character model with every piece of equipment already in the game, but to permanently increase routine voice acting costs on top? Yeah, doubtful.

Not necessarily. They can use current voice actors or they can just hire one person to do both 'genders' because it doesn't really matter what comes out of our fake toon's pie hole as long as it isn't nails on the chalkboard. Mel Blanc literally voiced all of his creations. As for armor, most follow the human base. The Tengu would be closer to the Charr base. As long as the new race doesn't go too crazy, it's mostly recycling old assets.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I don’t want them to spend time on a new race. I would prefer the costs for new voices, armor, story, etc to be spent on other new content rather than a race that either looks too similar to humans (we have enough of them already) or it’s so dissimilar that comparatively few players make a new race (as example: Charr are much fewer in game than humans even starting from launch as most people make a “Human” race rather than a beast race). As a further consideration even if they did add a Tengu race, it would be almost certainly be covered up by armor so you couldn’t see more than heads and hands and for some players it would be completely covered from head to toe.

Perfectly fine opinion to have, but unfortunately, it's not your money to spend so you (nor I) have that final say.

That’s true. But is this not a discussion forum and a discussion thread where we are supposed to say whether we want or don’t want new races and why so the Devs will know what we think? Which is what I just did. I posted my opinion for the Devs. Your remark about “final say” is beside the point.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

That’s true. But is this not a discussion forum and a discussion thread where we are supposed to say whether we want or don’t want new races and why so the Devs will know what we think? Which is what I just did. I posted my opinion for the Devs. Your remark about “final say” is beside the point.

That's why I said "Perfectly fine opinion to have". My comment is more an amendment to it and, in part, a criticism of the stance. At the very least, it's a clarification to anyone else reading, just in case it wasn't implied in your post.

@Leo G.4501 said:

That's why I said "Perfectly fine opinion to have". My comment is more an amendment to it and, in part, a criticism of the stance. At the very least, it's a clarification to anyone else reading, just in case it wasn't implied in your post.

I clearly stated “I don’t want” and “I would prefer”. No clarification of the obvious was needed. The other people reading the thread are smart enough to tell that those phrases means it’s an opinion post only.

Will ANet give out a $800 gem new character slot for each paid for account or will people have to buy a slot? That will impact the number of people making new races. They only gave a new slot for the Revenant after forum pressure. If ANet does they lose 800 gems per account, which might wipe out any profit from new people buying the game for that reason. If they don’t give out a new slot for each account then the forum will throw another fit, ANet gets bad publicity and doesn’t get as many people making a new char, which means they did all that work and don’t get much to show for it.

Since the topic is out... I really want to see Anet introduce the new races with a reason behind it like they did with mounts and gliders but in a more grand scale:Here is my wish list:

Largos - This can introduce also the an Elite Spec for a "Stalker"o something in does lines... also can let you use abilities and underwater weapons outside of the water like a third option...and obviously underwater mounts for does deep sea strong ocean currents and/or Special Gliding ability to ride does currents with your glider. We still have "Bubles" the Sea Underwater Elder Dragon to deal with...who has been way to quiet. I bet his quietly sucking everything up that we leave behind with our fight with the other Dragons! lol

Tengu - This can introduce an Elite spec with bows like a "Sentinel"... also the ability to "Ride the wind and Fly" instead of gliding you learn how to summon air currents to fly with glider and also we get flying mounts for does difficult strong air currents> We also unlock how to fight in mid-air.

Dwarf - This would have to be re-imagine even name diferently I guess. With the "Exalted and Forge living armor" magitech combine with Golemancy with the help of the Azura, the Dwarves can be restore as a new type of Race and they can add Golemancer too as a new Elite Spec too. Hmm I can only imagine a mount that can travel through and in lava or an ability that lets you do that I guess.

Awakend - I mention this for fun lol. But it be great to have a race with lots of cosmetic option as undead can be from a grotesque skeleton or Zombie to a beautiful Vampire bloodsucker or an Imposing Powerful Lich, Demon or Mummy type (Undead are probably the most diverse in looks and theme more than dwarf, elven and human in the whole MMO theme and I had yet to see any company tackle on that giant with all its varieties and cosmetic in one playable race, as its too diverse in looks alone, not even going to mention the abilities or powers, so they always take one or 2 aspects of it: one semi-good limiting it to a small group and one look the other one Evil with all included, but the whole thing as playable? Never). We all know Necromancer will be getting Hammer and Dhumm theme spec in the future and who know what type of cool spectral form will that turn our necromancer... anyone who saw the new Dhumm raid and saw his Necromancer Servant use a hammer can see the potential in a Elite class. Not to mention a mount to ride the River of souls! LMAO... yeah I know I took it there... :p

And there are so many way the community point out how to bring new races up... and their really good ideas I even seen Centaurs and Harpies being brought up as races! I think its a matter of where ANet wants to take us next instead of a how?Hmmm maybe the whole point of the main post and author WAS to get us riled up so we can debate on it, you know with reverse psychology? If it was it work! LOL =)

I clearly stated “I don’t want” and “I would prefer”. No clarification of the obvious was needed. The other people reading the thread are smart enough to tell that those phrases means it’s an opinion post only.

You'd be surprised.

@Leo G.4501 said:

You'd be surprised.

It’s unfortunate that you think the other people reading this thread are not smart enough to understand that I want means it’s an opinion post.

I’m glad I don’t share your opinion.

You'd be surprised.

It’s unfortunate that you think the other people reading this thread are not smart enough to understand that I want means it’s an opinion post.

Have you not read the OP? How much of that do you think is held as opinion?

Edit: also, apparently my terse response to, what is effectively "stop asking for stuff you want" got deleted, and wouldn't put it pass that someone who flagged it was someone who cannot separate fact from opinion.

I think you give these forum posters to much credit, but that's just my opinion.

@Leo G.4501 said:

You'd be surprised.

Pretty much all of it, since he has no facts but is only stating his speculations as to why a new race won’t be added to the game.

(It’s also an irrelevant question as nowhere did he say I want or I prefer, which is the discussion we were having here)

You'd be surprised.

Pretty much all of it, since he has no facts but is only stating his speculations as to why a new race won’t be added to the game.

(It’s also an irrelevant question as nowhere did he say I want or I prefer, which is the discussion we were having here)

Read my previous edit. You give these forum posters to much credit... And I'm being polite.

@Leo G.4501 said:

You'd be surprised.

Read my previous edit. You give these forum posters to much credit... And I'm being polite.

Our discussion was whether my post which said I want and I prefer needed a clarification from you as to it being an opinion piece. Other people’s post dont figure in it. if you say people are not smart enough to understand that I want and I prefer is opinion then you’re not being polite.

And that concludes my discussion with you.

Archived