Enough with the "New Race"

Rikimaru.7890

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I don’t want them to spend time on a new race. I would prefer the costs for new voices, armor, story, etc to be spent on other new content rather than a race that either looks too similar to humans (we have enough of them already) or it’s so dissimilar that comparatively few players make a new race (as example: Charr are much fewer in game than humans even starting from launch as most people make a “Human” race rather than a beast race). As a further consideration even if they did add a Tengu race, it would be almost certainly be covered up by armor so you couldn’t see more than heads and hands and for some players it would be completely covered from head to toe.

Perfectly fine opinion to have, but unfortunately, it's not your money to spend so you (nor I) have that final say.

That’s true. But is this not a discussion forum and a discussion thread where we are supposed to say whether we want or don’t want new races and why so the Devs will know what we think? Which is what I just did. I posted my opinion for the Devs. Your remark about “final say” is beside the point.

That's why I said "Perfectly fine opinion to have". My comment is more an amendment to it and, in part, a criticism of the stance. At the very least, it's a clarification to anyone else reading, just in case it wasn't implied in your post.

I clearly stated “I don’t want” and “I would prefer”. No clarification of the obvious was needed. The other people reading the thread are smart enough to tell that those phrases means it’s an opinion post only.

You'd be surprised.

It’s unfortunate that you think the other people reading this thread are not smart enough to understand that I want means it’s an opinion post.

I’m glad I don’t share your opinion.

Have you not read the OP? How much of that do you think is held as opinion?

Pretty much all of it, since he has no facts but is only stating his speculations as to why a new race won’t be added to the game.

(It’s also an irrelevant question as nowhere did he say I want or I prefer, which is the discussion we were having here)

Read my previous edit. You give these forum posters to much credit... And I'm being polite.

Our discussion was whether my post which said I want and I prefer needed a clarification from you as to it being an opinion piece. Other people’s post dont figure in it. if you say people are not smart enough to understand that I want and I prefer is opinion then you’re not being polite.

And that concludes my discussion with you.

Did I say anyone doesn't understand a particular phrase? To answer that: no, I did not.

Did I imply how intelligent someone is or isn't? To answer that: no, I didn't.

What I said may have implied a variety of things depending on your perspective but you are the one getting triggered that some people's reading comprehension doesn't match everyone else's (FACT: everyone's reading comprehension is not congruent) and are being offended on their behalf. Not everyone speaks English natively, for example

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Snowflurry.4529 said:gw 1 (factions and nightfall) had whole new stories on the islands together with the new chars we made for new profs. Why would a new race have to use the old Personal story? Problem solved. Its not an issue of not possible, but a choice made by the designers.

A big difference is that Guild Wars 1 wasn't structured the same as this game. You could buy each campaigns by itself. That’s not possible with this game as core is part of each expansion purchase and it’s possible that the way it’s set up that each new race must have the personal story, or that it requires a major rewrite of the code to separate new chars from personal story and from the home instance and all the Achievements that go with a char and its personal story.

How to add the Tengu to the story? That's easy. First, you have to remember that there are already Tengu in The Pact. We know of one, but there's no reason there can't be more, right?

So, a story arc or two dealing with your character and their place in Tengu society. They start to look outside of their walls, and see that the whole world has a problem. They move outside, taking on a more traveled "outside" Tengu as a mentor. This mentor tells you of a friend he's made, a sylvari by the name of Trahearne. And then he says "Hey, I can pull a few strings. Want to check out this place called 'Claw Island'?" Or maybe you've stumbled upon one of the undead scouts, and you rush off to the island in the hopes that they'll listen.

And from there on, it plays out as you know it. Your racial mentor is the one that makes the final stand, and you leave with Trahearne to form The Pact. The Orders are skipped, or maybe briefly touched on, and that's it. In the end, joining one is of no real importance to the story. There's nothing in the main story that states the race of The Commander, even if it's one of the rarer races, so it all works.

@"Ashen.2907" said:My concern with a new race is that it would likely be a selling point for an expansion, in much the way that elite specs are. And, as seems to be the case for elite specs, I expect that an expansion race would be implemented to be an upgrade from core races.

I feel it'd be pretty difficult to conjure an idea of an "elite race" or something upgraded from the core races. The only avenue I could foresee that could allow such a prospect would be if the new races, once unlocked and used, would already be at max level. It was a proposition many, as well as myself, made when it came to adding new races to circumvent much of the old story. I'd propose it, not to skip old story but mainly to streamline the experience and hold lore continuity. So it'd make more sense to me if, out of the gate, your new race character would be level 80 because likely the utilization of the new race would tie in strongly with the current events of the game, which are all level 80. It'd be like jumping to Elona on a level 80 in the current expansion with a fair bit of personal story to introduce your character to the current cast used for the main story.

Would it be fair to have, what is essentially, infinite instant-80 tokens so long as they are of the new race in the expansion IF you purchased said expansion? Would that cost Anet too much revenue because less people would buy instant-80s with gems (although I don't believe enough players would sacrifice their custom options for a leveling shortcut)? Would too many complain about feeling forced to play the new race?

@Snowflurry.4529 said:gw 1 (factions and nightfall) had whole new stories on the islands together with the new chars we made for new profs. Why would a new race have to use the old Personal story? Problem solved. Its not an issue of not possible, but a choice made by the designers.

A big difference is that Guild Wars 1 wasn't structured the same as this game. You could buy each campaigns by itself. That’s not possible with this game as core is part of each expansion purchase and it’s possible that the way it’s set up that each new race must have the personal story, or that it requires a major rewrite of the code to separate new chars from personal story and from the home instance and all the Achievements that go with a char and its personal story.

Achievements are accountbound. Thats actually one of the things you cant replay on a new character. Personal story, yes though. Although I doubt it is that hard to have different personal story for a different race. That is actually already the case with the current races.

Though the problem would be there with living story and previous expansions. As well as things like story dungeons.

But there are not many characterbound things in comparison to the many accountbound things.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

Achievements are accountbound. Thats actually one of the things you cant replay on a new character. Personal story, yes though. Although I doubt it is that hard to have different personal story for a different race. That is actually already the case with the current races.

Though the problem would be there with living story and previous expansions. As well as things like story dungeons.

But there are not many characterbound things in comparison to the many accountbound things.

That wasn’t my point.

My point is that making a new char ties that new char to the UI with the personal story and the Home Instance, and associated AP. To unhitch a new char from the personal story would mean a redo of the coding of the UI, with all the bugs that would appear from messing around with code from the beginning of the game.

That wasn’t my point.

My point is that making a new char ties that new char to the UI with the personal story and the Home Instance, and associated AP. To unhitch a new char from the personal story would mean a redo of the coding of the UI, with all the bugs that would appear from messing around with code from the beginning of the game.

Why would you unhitch a new race from personal story rather than making their own personal story in the first place? Thats what I meant. The 5 races already have different stories, better, different characters have different stories. Achievements that are in place on personal story are accountbound, or simply dont need to be tagged for completion.

I don't think they need to restructure the code, and instead would need to add story that fits the race.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

That wasn’t my point.

Why would you unhitch a new race from personal story rather than making their own personal story in the first place? Thats what I meant. The 5 races already have different stories, better, different characters have different stories. Achievements that are in place on personal story are accountbound, or simply dont need to be tagged for completion.

I don't think they need to restructure the code, and instead would need to add story that fits the race.

Because...... My post was a response to Snowflurry who said.

Here s/he clearly asks why the new race has to use the old personal story.

Edit. I think it’s likely that a new race would have a new personal story arc but my read is that Snowflurry was comparing the separate story arcs of guild wars 1 and asking why the new race couldn’t have a totally separate story like that game did for its separate campaigns, so I was explaining why that wouldn’t work in this game.

That wasn’t my point.

Because...... My post was a response to Snowflurry who said.

@Snowflurry.4529 said:gw 1 (factions and nightfall) had whole new stories on the islands together with the new chars we made for new profs.
Why would a new race have to use the old Personal story?
Problem solved. Its not an issue of not possible, but a choice made by the designers.

Here s/he clearly asks why the new race has to use the old personal story.

Edit. I think it’s likely that a new race would have a new personal story arc but my read is that Snowflurry was comparing the separate story arcs of guild wars 1 and asking why the new race couldn’t have a totally separate story like that game did for its separate campaigns, so I was explaining why that wouldn’t work in this game.

I don't think it would work the same way, but I don't think it needs restructuring of personal story. Mostly because, not that I know, but I think, after each personal story step you set your character onto the next step, depending on what choices you made. The way I see that, is that a hypothetical new race wouldn't have their personal story at any point linked to the original personal story and have their own series of steps. (basically how each race works currently, upto the point after which you picked your order) How that exactly would be structured, or what would be the best way of doing that, I would rather leave to the developers, IF they want to introduce a new race at all. I just want to say that the possibility is there.

Those steps don't even need to give the same exp, and lead as a faster road to max level, though that obviously can lead to problems of favouritism (Like factions and nightfall were all way faster in their leveling than prophecies) Though an argument can be made that Anet has done this thing where they give people a lvl 80 booster with the expansion essentially letting people circumvent the whole previous story, under the assumption people want to be where all the other people are.

The biggest disadvantages to a new race I see, are not that it's hard to rewrite previous story, or not fitting into the personal story system, because rather that I threw that idea out of the window and instead that, most likely, a new race wouldn't have an extensive set of meaningful choices, a way shorter and/or linear personal story arc, and as a character be missing out on anything that happened prior to their introduction as a playable race. And maybe they would have a personal story that would only expand over the next set of living world episodes. ALONGSIDE which all previous races/characters would also need to have a fitting role. (Though that would be little to no different than a faction or nightfal character not really fitting in the previous story arcs imo)

@"Mysteriax.6049" said:How about instead of a new race, we just get several new Combat tonics? We can get several Combat tonics per race so there's a bit of customization.

Tonics block mounting. Outfits on the other hand, those can replace any parts we need to add extra "races" without too much fuss. Have a light/medium/heavy armor version of whichever race is being introduced. I wonder if it's possible to have the option for voice modulation as far as combat skills and such. Wouldn't be fully immersive, but it's a thought.

New Race, different story, different lines.Main characters always already talk different to different races, or different story choices.

Why cant the new race be just like that.

This story should finish anyway. Kind of tired of being the pact commander, being the dragonslayer and all of that.

Focus on a new line so that new players or new characters don't have to play from core to ls1, ls2, HOT, ls3, POF, LS4.. Start a new story. just balance the world of magic already!

What I would like though is a new storyline where you can be the bad guy. Think about an awakened Lt or something. We already got those recourses, we already got armor for that. Give them some new maps, with their main ally being Palawa Joko. Some limited options. Not every new race has to have all the different professions.

• 2 months later...

@"Samnang.1879" said:thats what yall said about mounts, and here they are

Mounts were introduced to be monetized, not only were they a main part of the expansion (which you have to pay for), but they also sell skins for it (which is also paid for). This means the cost put into developing the mounts could be paid for overtime and become profitable, profit is the whole point of business, it isn't a charity. On the other hand, a new race comes with significantly higher cost, with no real way of monetizing for it beyond people changing their appearance. The amount of people who would play said new race(s) are rather low if you look at race popularity among not just GW2 but every single MMORPG that has human archetypes and non-humans. Then finally, a new race not being added, or added, isn't a large determining factor in whether people play the game, quit, or stay, nor is it standard practice to add more when there's already a few options; meanwhile just about every single game has mounts and a million skins for them, and mounts are a clear way to earn income that aligns with ArenaNet's vision of "non pay to win monetization".

If people want more customization, it makes more sense to just ask for improvements on the current system, which would appeal to a much larger group than those who want a new race only to drop it later and ask for another one when it becomes "old".

Here is an underdeveloped idea i had a while back that could help with some of the issues of implementation and other perceived problems:

Henchmen and Playable Races, or how to have your cake and eat it too.

(1) Additional playable races have been requested.(2) Upcoming/new expansions are likely to have a fundamental (and polarizing) game play mechanic. Heart of Thorns had gliding, Path of Fire had mounts.(3) Henchman have been suggested as a possible expansion mechanic, and could be used as a mechanism to introduce playable races without the trouble of full story compatibility.

Henchman creation

After reaching an early part in the expansion story, a character unlocks a henchman slot.

(1) The henchman slot appears above the character on the character selection screen. This character is designated as "the employer".(2) Select the empty henchman slot to create a henchman.

Implementation Consideration: Are henchman fully customizable in appearance or are they pre-set from an available selection? Going on customizable for now.

(3) Henchman creation pulls up a character design interface similar to the Makeover Kit.(4) Henchman creation includes race and profession selection.

Playing with a Henchman

(1) Use the party interface to add your henchman to your party. Your henchman takes up a party slot.(2) Party slots filled by a henchman will not prevent other players from joining the party. Players that join the party will kick henchmen automatically. The party leader's henchman is kicked last.(3) Henchmen may not be added to a party in PvP, WvW, Raids, or Fractals.(4) The player who owns the henchman can right click the henchman's portrait and designate a mode: offense or defense.

Implementation Consideration: Henchmen gameplay should be designed to support players, allowing the player to be the hero. Henchman abilities should primarily support the player. Offense mode would be melee and enhance the damage output of the player with offensive boons and mechanics. Defense mode would be ranged and support the player with healing, defensive boons, and similar mechanics.

Implementation Consideration: Henchmen should be designed to be low impact on required processing. They would have approximately three skills they would cycle through based on triggers: an auto attack, a skill based on the thematics of the mode chosen, and a personal defense. Skills would be visually characteristic of the henchman's profession.

(5) Henchmen will appear to other players using a standard model for that race and profession.(6) Henchmen will appear to the player based on their gear setup as it appears on the character select screen. Weapons used will be standard models based on the profession and mode selected.(7) Henchmen will move to resuscitate the player when downed if they begin to Bandage.(8) The Henchman would enter their own down state.

Playing as a Henchman

(1) Select a henchman from the character select screen as you would a character.(2) The henchman plays exactly the same as a normal character of that profession.(3) The henchman may add their employer as though it were a henchman.(4) Bag/inventory space uses their employer's bag/inventory space.(5) The henchman and employer act as the same character for purposes of soulbound items.(6) The henchman uses the Achievements and Story Progression of their employer.(7) On login, the henchman appears at the same location as their employer.

Implementation Consideration: Progressing the story as a henchman(8) When playing as a henchman, the henchman's employer appears for all cut scenes.(9) When playing in the open world, and the henchman's employer has not been added to the party, then a number of options are available:(9A) The employer will appear in a general fashion.(9B) The employer will appear in a fashion characteristic of their profession.(9C) The employer will speak over the "intercom".

Implementation Consideration: Additional gamemodes(10) While playing AS the henchman, players are not limited by gamemode.

In this way, alternative races could be introduced without having to worry about previous or future story content. Henchmen as a mechanic would also provide a new way to play the game on a level similar to previous expansions. It would be an interesting take on GW1 mechanics.

By attaching alternate races to a henchman mechanic immersion could be maintained without full story support. It could also add amazing monetization opportunities.

Even within the suggestion there are multiple ways of approach. Ideally, henchmen and new races would have some appearance customization options available for the player. However, for implementation to be smooth, new races would need to use the same racial skeletons, general proportions, and animations of primary races to ensure integrity of armor appearance. Overall character size could be adjusted and gives creative room to work with.

Adding new races in this way would only require the basic voice acting triggered from combat and skill activation and would not require individual story support or starter locations.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

Mounts were introduced to be monetized, not only were they a main part of the expansion (which you have to pay for), but they also sell skins for it (which is also paid for). This means the cost put into developing the mounts could be paid for overtime and become profitable, profit is the whole point of business, it isn't a charity. On the other hand, a new race comes with significantly higher cost, with no real way of monetizing for it beyond people changing their appearance. The amount of people who would play said new race(s) are rather low if you look at race popularity among not just GW2 but every single MMORPG that has human archetypes and non-humans. Then finally, a new race not being added, or added, isn't a large determining factor in whether people play the game, quit, or stay, nor is it standard practice to add more when there's already a few options; meanwhile just about every single game has mounts and a million skins for them, and mounts are a clear way to earn income that aligns with ArenaNet's vision of "non pay to win monetization".

If people want more customization, it makes more sense to just ask for improvements on the current system, which would appeal to a much larger group than those who want a new race only to drop it later and ask for another one when it becomes "old".

The caveat to your point about the amount of human characters vs the amount of another non-human character across this and other MMOs is it can be a misleading statistic to base an argument on. It is a fact that there are more human characters than there are Charr characters, but that's only telling half the story. There are reasons why people choose to play a human character just like there are reasons people choose to not play a human character, which is the actual purpose of race choice when customizing a character...those players want something other than human...which is why they will play a Charr OR an Asura OR a Sylvari...(or a Norn, I suppose). The target audience of a new race isn't the individuals who want birbs and only birbs (Tengu), it's aimed at the majority of players that want to play something other than human-looking characters.

And don't get it twisted. I doubt many players are opposed to more races. Most just argue that it would require a lot (too many) resources, which is far and away from saying that it has less appeal than adding a handful of skins to the pool of conflicting skin options.

I'm honestly not sure what the problem is. If people want to suggest a new race, then let them do it. If demand is high enough, it might be worthwhile to implement, if not, then so be it. Let ANet make that call. People used to think or say that mounts would never be added and would come up with reasoning as to why, just like you have now, and yet it happened further down the line regardless. You have to keep in mind that even if ANet takes a stance on a particular subject at some point in the lifespan of a game, that stance can and often will change over time, because game development is not a static, predictable affair, it often ebbs and flows with trends, ideas, policy changes or simply based on consumer demand.

Of course, you're welcome to debate or disagree with people requesting new races if you feel there's good reason for them not to be added, but asking people not to give their opinion or state their requests in the first place is a vain request, not to mention a rather unfair one. I doubt it will be heeded by those who want new races in the first place, and I must say that trying to dictate what others do in an online forum is pretty much a waste of your time and energy.

And on a final note, this is really a non-issue. It's very easy to just overlook posts that involve subjects we aren't particularly fond of. If you don't like posts that request new races, just skip it and move on. If, however, you want to get involved in the debate, then rather do it in a manner that doesn't come across as "what I say is law."

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

if u were reading the forums before mounts came out, they all were like a broken record repeating the same thing, "can't be implemented onto the current map/system", "cost too much money", "anet won't do it".

my point is, no one here can tell the future except the anet devs... so idk why the op is acting like he is psychic.

also no way of monetizing? a new race could come with a new a cultural armor, and a reason for people to buy the 3rd expansion etc. more ppl will buy more gemstore armor since they want it on their new race...

also where are the ppl who said mounts were impossible... i wanna see their face in here right now

@Samnang.1879 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:thats what yall said about mounts, and here they are

if u were reading the forums before mounts came out, they all were like a broken record repeating the same thing, "can't be implemented onto the current map/system", "cost too much money", "anet won't do it".

my point is, no one here can tell the future except the anet devs... so idk why the op is acting like he is psychic.

also no way of monetizing? a new race could come with a new a cultural armor, and a reason for people to buy the 3rd expansion etc. more ppl will buy more gemstore armor since they want it on their new race...

also where are the ppl who said mounts were impossible... i wanna see their face in here right now

Except the devs never said mounts were too expensive or that it would be too much work. Only fans said that. The devs did say that implementing a new race would be prohibitive. And by the devs I mean the guy in charge.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:thats what yall said about mounts, and here they are

Except the devs never said mounts were too expensive or that it would be too much work. Only fans said that. The devs did say that implementing a new race would be prohibitive. And by the devs I mean the guy in charge.

Exactly. Unless anet comes and say, "New race is impossible, we'll never do it", I don't wanna see "fans" saying the word, "impossible". Cuz thats what they all said about mounts. and yet it's here.

"I was living la vida loca in Homezonia, until that fateful day when I was swept up into the fracas against Zhaitan and wound up becoming the Grand Poobah of the Pact. Then, a few years later on an even more fateful day, I suffered an injury that caused me to lose my mind, er, I mean memories. Like Uhura in 'The Changeling'. Ahem. Now here I am recuperating in Homezonia, essentially starting from scratch, experiencing new adventures as well as reliving past glories via that wonder of Asuran technology, the Super Tremendous Adventure Box, coloquially refered to as STAB. One day soon I'll reclaim my position as Grand Poobah. Until then, I'll work hard to relearn my lost skills, to become the blatantly heroic Hero I once was. Because we're not out of the woods yet, and Tyria needs me. This is my story. Get your own!"

Archived