World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

@Waffle.3748 said:

@"Eater of Peeps.9062" said:

I don't understand. A pug playing without a guild is supporting the alliance just as much as the guild is supporting the alliance. A pug playing without a guild is supporting the guild squad as much as guild members in the squad are - except the poor guildless pug is dying more/getting less protections from the squad he/she is running alongside, thus making it much more frustrating for the pug. Why should the pug have to join the guild in order to receive the protections of the squad when the whole point of the squad is to support the alliance (just like the pug) and win (just like the pug).

And that's great for the pug that they want to support their alliance/world. The pug could also join an open pug tag, or open guild raid. Not all guild raids are closed. The "whole point of the squad" is not to support the alliance. The point of a squad is to facilitate a party system for a greater number of players than 5, that's it. If the pug is insistent on running alongside a closed guild raid they should take a more cautious playstyle or safer class/build to survive. One alliance is not going to be enough to dictate how the rest of the world plays for 8 weeks, there are going to be plenty of other guilds or even a whole other alliance in the matchup that will likely have open squads or pugmanders that pugs can play with.

Also, why shouldn't the guild support all players? The goal is to be nice and allow all casual play and win. The pug is supporting the guild by playing. Why shouldn't the guild have to reciprocate. We don't want to have exclusion or elitism going on or encouraged. This is why self policing by guilds who are competitive and want to win is not a good idea as it will come at the expense of guildless players and solo pugs.

Because they are allowed to play how they want? People have different goals in the game, you know. Maybe that closed guild raid just wants to chill together and play. If you want to start an open pug tag all you need is a commander tag. Have you considered that guilds need their own time together to play and have fun with each other? Why are you trying to stifle their way of playing by forcing them to play with people they might not want to? Guildless players and solo pugs are not on the mind of guilds that are running a closed squad, as they are wanting to play AS A GUILD by themselves most of the time.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "you consider it a right to be part of it" (ie - the guild community) means. No one is asking for the right to be part of a guild, in fact, it appears the person you were addressing was advocating for not being forced to play with a guild to have a meaningful/not hollow wvw experience under the new system and to have a place in the new alliances worlds as a solo guildless pug (where running alongside a zerg ala EOTM is the only option).

If the pug cannot make friends/acquaintances in 8 entire weeks, there are other problems to work on. Many server communities will have a large open guild that anyone can join to stay with them if they enjoy playing together as well. If you don't want to join a guild, that's fine. You'll just be assigned a new world after 8 weeks. Perhaps moving around you will find a guild/group that you enjoy playing with and join them.

You speak in terms of: Mostly, likely, many, plenty of...

What about when all of those qualifying words fail - ie. - there is only 1 guild/squad and it is closed (or all the guilds/squads are closed) or none of the guilds in the alliance will let you join/they are full or you don't want to join a guild for multiple reasons or you don't want to be a commander or don't have the money for it, etc.

Then what (for pugs)? O, that's right - EOTM for you.

Also, your argument that we are forcing people to play with people they don't want is disingenuous - since you are already playing with us already as we are in the same world/same map as you. Joining a guild will be a practical necessity for play that is anything other than EOTM.

I think what you said here sums it up nicely: "Guildless players and solo pugs are not on the mind of guilds that are running a closed squad, as they are wanting to play AS A GUILD by themselves most of the time."

We know. That's why we are making anet aware of our pug concerns, cuz guilds and their members are not the only players playing this game nor are they the only ones that matter.

Guild-less pug here. Explain to me why I would be forced into EOTM if no guild wants me. I ran in two different squads last night. They were guilds I actively fought last week. One of the squads contained a scourge I killed over a dozen times in the last matchup. We had a laugh about it and got on with the fights, of which there were plenty.

Yes, some guilds run closed. I'm still not getting how you're drawing the conclusion that all guilds on all maps will run closed after the changes are made.

@Eater of Peeps.9062 said:I for one cant understand why you are being so threatened by or vocal about our legitimate protests made in anticipation of a system which could, if not done carefully, be a rinse and repeat of the obviously flawed spvp system.

I'm just trying to get you to clarify your ideas by asking some basic questions.

allowing closed squads only after the numbers hit 45 out of 50not giving guild leaders absolute power over their guild mates since doing so in the proposed system could potentially result in someone being ousted from a guild

Yet stuff you write above just seems like you have a vendetta against someone by rather than any real issue with restructuring. Wanting to remove the existing ability of a guild leader to manage a guild roster or how squads function makes you disingenuous about restructuring. That's not a solution to toxic behavior. That's a toxic suggestion towards the game at large and everyone has a right to feel threatened by such a wrong-headed opinion. No game should be designed simply to solve someone's personal drama issues.

@Shining One.1635 said:Guild-less pug here. Explain to me why I would be forced into EOTM if no guild wants me. I ran in two different squads last night. They were guilds I actively fought last week. One of the squads contained a scourge I killed over a dozen times in the last matchup. We had a laugh about it and got on with the fights, of which there were plenty.

Yes, some guilds run closed. I'm still not getting how you're drawing the conclusion that all guilds on all maps will run closed after the changes are made.

That's not my conclusion - its my concern.

What you do now on wvw is irrelevant to the concerns we are posting here - that wvw configuration won't exist under the new implementation.

You won't be forced into EOTM - you will be in wvw and playing without a guild will be the equivalent of EOTM as there will be zero camaraderie/immersion unless you are in a guild (and they might all be closed to you). This ofc assumes you are not roamer/ganker, in which case you would probably just go about bus as usual since these players are unconcerned with the squads/zergs anyway.

Also, I never find it funny when I kill enemy players, but that's just me - to each his own. And also, what's your point about the scourge you killed? Seems off topic to me. Perhaps that scourge was the only glass cannon in a small squad facing a large enemy zerg that was 2 v 1ing - so no big surprise there that you were able to kill them over and over (especially if positioning was bad), but whatever, not sure of the circumstances as I wasn't there - but glad it was entertaining for you. Not sure what your point is tho or how it is relevant here.

@"Eater of Peeps.9062" said:

You speak in terms of: Mostly, likely, many, plenty of...

What about when all of those qualifying words fail - ie. - there is only 1 guild/squad and it is closed (or all the guilds/squads are closed) or none of the guilds in the alliance will let you join/they are full or you don't want to join a guild for multiple reasons or you don't want to be a commander or don't have the money for it, etc.

Then what (for pugs)? O, that's right - EOTM for you.

Also, your argument that we are forcing people to play with people they don't want is disingenuous - since you are already playing with us already as we are in the same world/same map as you. Joining a guild will be a practical necessity for play that is anything other than EOTM.

It's not disingenuous, you literally wanted to force people to have open squads when they don't want to. Just because you are on the same server doesn't mean people WANT to play with you. It's a 2-way street.

I think what you said here sums it up nicely: "Guildless players and solo pugs are not on the mind of guilds that are running a closed squad, as they are wanting to play AS A GUILD by themselves most of the time."

We know. That's why we are making anet aware of our pug concerns, cuz guilds and their members are not the only players playing this game nor are they the only ones that matter.

Guilds that run closed will still run closed, my friend.Guilds that will run open will still run open.If you don't want to join a guild or don't want to make your own squad you are avoiding your problem and shoving it onto other people. If you want an open squad, MAKE ONE. It isn't difficult to save up the 300g over 2 or so weeks. I don't know why you think being a guildless pug requires you to go into EoTM instead when there are always people not in a squad doing their own thing in WvW and contributing just fine.

@Eater of Peeps.9062 said:What you do now on wvw is irrelevant to the concerns we are posting here - that wvw configuration won't exist under the new implementation.How will the new implementation be different for me? I'm on a medium link server. I get paired with a random host server every 2 months. In the new implementation, I would get paired with random alliances / guilds / pugs every two months. I don't see a huge difference.@Eater of Peeps.9062 said:Also, I never find it funny when I kill enemy players, but that's just me - to each his own. And also, what's your point about the scourge you killed? Seems off topic to me. Perhaps that scourge was the only glass cannon in a small squad facing a large enemy zerg that was 2 v 1ing - so no big surprise there that you were able to kill them over and over (especially if positioning was bad), but whatever, not sure of the circumstances as I wasn't there - but glad it was entertaining for you. Not sure what your point is tho or how it is relevant here.My point was that I am now on the same team with someone who was my enemy over the previous week. He wasn't bothered by the fact that I killed him and we had fun running together in a group.

@Eater of Peeps.9062 said:

@Shining One.1635 said:Guild-less pug here. Explain to me why I would be forced into EOTM if no guild wants me. I ran in two different squads last night. They were guilds I actively fought last week. One of the squads contained a scourge I killed over a dozen times in the last matchup. We had a laugh about it and got on with the fights, of which there were plenty.

What you do now on wvw is irrelevant to the concerns we are posting here - that wvw configuration won't exist under the new implementation.

You still not really explaining how the restructuring is going to change how players already play the game. The restructuring is nothing more than glorified server links - linking a wider variety of smaller chunks of the population together onto a team.

@Chaba.5410 said:

You still not really explaining how the restructuring is going to change how players already play the game. The restructuring is nothing more than glorified server links - linking a wider variety of smaller chunks of the population together onto a team.

And hopefully allowing for better distributed coverage.

If a player who is outside of a guild plays strongly, they will be let into a squad. And many tags will anyway. There are always going to be those (and it's their right to do it) that only want to run certain classes and builds and only want a certain number of players.

I agree Chaba, it won't change anything about how the game is played.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

And hopefully allowing for better distributed coverage.

If a player who is outside of a guild plays strongly, they will be let into a squad. And many tags will anyway. There are always going to be those (and it's their right to do it) that only want to run certain classes and builds and only want a certain number of players.

I agree Chaba, it won't change anything about how the game is played.

That said, I should clarify. It won't change the way players play the game on the maps, etc. So vindictive non-solutions like forcing squads open won't address anything. The restructuring can though change how people play the so-called server meta.

Since teams will be re-shuffled every 8 weeks, that will frustrate what players do now through tanking and bandwagonning. At the beginning of a re-shuffle, players will have a foggy idea of who is where and what they can expect from another team which helps remove the incentive to tank to avoid X, etc. Matchmaking still will be 1u1d with static teams (that last for 8 weeks) so tanking for better rating via easier matches as what was mentioned done in sPvP won't achieve that result. I'm sure players will find some new server meta, but at this early point we don't have all the details yet. Tanking playhours is a mixed bag, as we saw with Kodash and JQ.

@Selwynn.2758 said:Sounds absolutely awful, and caters to pve and spvpers who think everything should be an artifically maintained esport rather than a living breathing world where imbalance happens and you deal with it and bond over it. You talk about lack of server pride, but that's Exactly what I had, on Jade Quarry, the server I ever played on since literally beta. My friends extend beyond my guild. It includes many people who have been on the server forever. Some times individual people, not even part of a guild but connected just the same. And it includes people from all over the world, even speaking different languages. Trying to preserve those connections in a 500-1000 person alliance will never happen. Perhaps this will be a great new thing for people who don't already have a deep connection to a core community, but for me it means the final death of everything I loved in the game. WvW was life to me and server pride was the only thing that distinguished this from anything else. So, so long.

This is what I have been saying and nobody seems to acknowledge it, or act like its a real thing. And even if they do, for some reason they think it doesn't matter.

@Chaba.5410 said:

No cohesion for pugs, less cohesion for guilds because there's no servers. Wvw Guilds will have too much power over players, because the limited cohesion that guilds enjoy will be dangled like a carrot by guild leaders/officers over regular members heads.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"Shining One.1635" said:Guild-less pug here. Explain to me why I would be forced into EOTM if no guild wants me. I ran in two different squads last night. They were guilds I actively fought last week. One of the squads contained a scourge I killed over a dozen times in the last matchup. We had a laugh about it and got on with the fights, of which there were plenty.

You still not really explaining how the restructuring is going to change how players already play the game. The restructuring is nothing more than glorified server links - linking a wider variety of smaller chunks of the population together onto a team.And not only that, it gives the control of the chunks over to the players. Basicly, we the community get to form
our own
link servers. The existing three server links isnt far from the new system if we imagine 500 man community WvW rep guilds forming a link server.
(Anets specification of alliances actually mean community rep guilds are "better" if you want lots of smaller guilds together, this depends on the alliance implementation/management/functions, thats why I keep saying community guilds)

All the complaints here circle around getting kicked out of these guilds, or not being allowed to join (or outright refusal to join anything). Well yeah. It gives alot of control to guild leaders. But you know what happens to bad guilds? They die. People pick themselves up and join good guilds elsewhere to find new friends.

@"Drecien.4508" said:I don't see this as a solution. This only creates the problem on a "season" basis. The structure as it has been is not perfect but it works. Those who play and enjoy WVW come together under a united banner of the server the represent. Many have loyalty to their server and have since the beginning. While the idea looks nice for you to be able to play with friends/guildmates the resulting mess will leave us back where we are.VOTE NO ON PROP 8 SERVER DESTRUCTION.

I think 'server identity' isn't what it used to be. Half of the servers, now 'guest' servers, have little or no identity anymore. Just a '+' to the host server whoever that might be for the current linking period. I've been on the same server since launch, but I can honestly say that I feel there's not much server identity left. In addition, there has always been a population of players/guilds that simply changes servers with regularity - just moving to where the fights are. They're interested in fights, not server identity, it seems to me.

I've been a supporter of linking worlds, as prior to that our server population was fairly scarce at times and after linking there were more players which was and still is nice. The balancing remains an issue at times, partially due to match manipulation and servers 'tanking' to move tiers. I don't know if Alliances can alleviate it, but I'm interested to see how it shakes out.

@Ra Ra.9423 said:

@"Drecien.4508" said:I don't see this as a solution. This only creates the problem on a "season" basis. The structure as it has been is not perfect but it works. Those who play and enjoy WVW come together under a united banner of the server the represent. Many have loyalty to their server and have since the beginning. While the idea looks nice for you to be able to play with friends/guildmates the resulting mess will leave us back where we are.VOTE NO ON PROP 8 SERVER DESTRUCTION.

I think 'server identity' isn't what it used to be. Half of the servers, now 'guest' servers, have little or no identity anymore. Just a '+' to the host server whoever that might be for the current linking period. I've been on the same server since launch, but I can honestly say that I feel there's not much server identity left. In addition, there has always been a population of players/guilds that simply changes servers with regularity - just moving to where the fights are. They're interested in fights, not server identity, it seems to me.

I've been a supporter of linking worlds, as prior to that our server population was fairly scarce at times and after linking there were more players which was and still is nice. The balancing remains an issue at times, partially due to match manipulation and servers 'tanking' to move tiers. I don't know if Alliances can alleviate it, but I'm interested to see how it shakes out.

My server still has identity. And we like to hold to it. I don't see how alliances will fix the tanking to drop tiers either. While I will welcome the ability to play alongside guildies, I see the alliances will become the new top tier servers and the whole process may start over again. But we wait patiently to see what changes may come. Honestly if they would look at accounts that do not wvw on high tier servers and boot them off it would have been easier. I'm sure all servers have some who never play wvw. And outside of wvw your server means nothing anymore.

As for now, population imbalance (skill and numbers) continue to be the major issue for WvW. This population imbalance which existed since ancient time isn't fun for either sides, especially the one getting rolled over. While people continue to held on how identity matters, that so-called identity sooner or later will just disappear along when everyone else quit, after continuous getting hopelessly squashed. Is there any point in doing anything when everyone else quit? Or is it wiser to do something now while we still have some juice left?

I'm curious about how this system will go. I like the idea of an alliance system. The server system is too limiting. Players are at the mercy of large guilds/alliances, bandwagoning, server stacking, server links, tanking and transfer costs. Players simply don't have a choice in the matter of who they want to play with unless they want to cough up gems. I'm reading all this stuff about "server pride". The truth of the matter is, is that "server pride" has never existed. What really existed and continues to exist are guild pride and roamers/PUGs/friends that you like to play with. The server itself was never important, just the people in it that you like to play with. Server loyalty and tiers mean nothing because you need coverage to win. (ask Blackgate about that!) The server system always culminates in a dominant server with stacked guilds and alliances. Plus, the server system eventually wears PUGs, roamers down as they constantly get farmed over and over again, so "server loyalty" goes out the window and they either stop playing wvw or transfer and stack other servers. Now I played wvw on and off since release. Looking back, the server system was screwed from the beginning. Titan Alliance anyone? They were stacked to the hilt.

Throughout the history of wvw. Servers were eaten up, one by one. ET, IoJ, SoR, etc. Certain guilds and servers exploited the server system and left players hung out to dry. Then server linking was implemented to stabilize wvw for a time. I think it did just that.

At least with world restructuring, power is in the player(s) hands. Players actually have a choice of who they want to play with. At the very least, it's a big change. There's a lot of chatter that the alliance system will be just another eotm train, but I think that's overblown. eotm's problem is the MAP. It's too big, it has pitfalls which discourage fighting because a noob can simply knock you off the platform. Plus, it's just a waiting spot for the 3 servers. Is it any wonder why people zerg there? Why even bother roaming alone or in PUGs? The eotm map isn't really meant for that.

Truth be told I'm really hoping we can get an ETA or something for an implementation of this feature. It's a lot of work and I'm sure it's quite difficult to give a definitive date I'd be very curious about when we can expect to see it. Really looking forward to spinning up a casual WvW roaming guild to play with friends who're all on different servers at the moment.

Anet you need to rethink this again. If you make people/guilds make alliances on their own by joining and linking their guilds, there will be a time where, again, will be a few good servers abusing and bullying the rest. And what is happening now will happen again.In order to prevent that you need to do a map filling system as pve. People joining wvw, going to an instance until that map is full, then open another instance.

If you want to play with your friends, make a party/squad of up to +10 to enter the same side.

Or make a different logging system for wvw, so you see who is really playing wvw.

Also people ask for 100g commander tag.Following someone else said to be able to use mentor tag in wvw.there you got a few more ideas after a brainstorming moment of boredom in wvw ;)

How is class balance being approached with this overhaul? I'm assuming there are 2 different teams that work on these parts of the game, but what does it matter if wvw is more fair in terms of population and representation if the current meta is so incredibly unfun? With a more competitive environment, commanders/guilds/alliances are going to want people to run meta more than ever. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that navigating 63,722 scourge circles is not fun.

Also, what is stopping guilds/alliances from selling membership for gold to get you onto a more active/winning instance that season, then booting you, and doing it again the next season?

Also rip Fort Aspenwood

Can you Imagine - Edge of the Mists - EotM - Re-Designed to be the Main Lobby for WvW - Powered by this Alliance Design?

1) Remove All NPCs that rely on a Player's Home Server from WvW maps & place them in EotM for easy access. Crafting NPCs should also be placed in EotM.2) Encourage Players to AFK in EotM to allow PIPs to decay with No PIP earning. EotM is the public hang out that's outside of the Main WvW game mode maps.3) Require Players to enter the EotM Map before allowing them to use a Special WvW based Server Guesting menu.4) Implement the below WvW based Server Guesting Match-Up mechanics.

EoTM Re-Designed to really attract PvE Players into the WvW game mode & to provide a common area for Guilds to recruit new members.

Guilds from different servers have a fair chance to recruit 1st time WvW players with this systematic wiping of EotM teams every season.

World Servers are allowed to create permanent & stable Long Term Communities that can have a life cycle to be born, grow-up, die, and then be re-born again in a cycle that replenishes itself through seasonal guild changes.

The WvW game mode should emotionally engage players to return to these Long Term Communities...where fighting for something bigger than any single player or guild has deeper meaning.

Think about it - Which would be a better choice for Match-Up mechanics for our Main WvW game mode maps?

System basedOrPlayer driven

System - Currently World Linking & Proposed Alliance LinkingOrPlayer - Server Guesting Re-Designed for WvW & the Removal of All Fixed Tiers

SystemANet uses algorithms on player hours played, best guess idea, etc to form an 8 week Alliance - World Servers wiped at end of season - Reward based on current mechanics

Or

PlayerANet uses weekly limits on How Many & Which Servers a player fights on - World Servers Don't wipe & WvW Rank is used as a reference point to Reward players into attacking the Top Ranked WvW Servers & to Punish players for attacking Any Lower Ranked Servers

Choose wisely...each effort will take a lot of time & resources to implement, but will result in a completely different gaming experience & game mode.

Imagine if we had SERVER GUESTING for WvW...

Can you Imagine a Re-Designed Server Guesting mechanic for WvW that would let you Pick any NA/EU Server to Fight against with Limits on How Many & Which?ANDCan you Imagine a Re-Designed Server Guesting mechanic for WvW that would let you change your weekly match-up (1-5) choices at reset?ANDPlayers will just need to wait in queue (to get a seat) if they only pick the Top Ranked Servers to fight against.

@Selwynn.2758 said:I've been Jade Quarry since beta, and wvw is 100% of my game time. This change takes all the love and pride had for JQ and all the joy, pain sweat tears and success I've shared with a community that maintained world pride even through the dark time... And took a fat dump right in its mouth.

I was on JQ for years, when I left a year ago it had very little overall server pride left, there was a lot of infighting, the atmosphere was toxic and guilds left over it. I'm not disputing you feel server pride but don't assume its even close to the majority on your server.

Censorship without any consequences for cheaters:Accusing any player, guild, or game world/server of cheating, griefing, hacking, or exploiting is not allowed on the forums. If you witness any of these acts while playing, please submit an in-game report or a ticket to our Customer Support team, so they can properly investigate the matter. The forum is not an appropriate place for such issues to be discussed. In the case of a potential exploit, you may send reports to Exploits@Arena.Net to ensure the development team is aware of them. Thanks for your understanding.

Censorship without any complaints allowed:In order to ensure our forums are pleasant and safe for all forum members, we expect all contributors to be respectful of one another. Posts that are rude towards or attack another member, single out a player for ridicule, or that accuse someone of inappropriate behavior will be removed, as has your comment that is quoted in this message. If someone has posted inappropriately, please do not respond, but instead use the forum report system to allow a moderator to review the comments. Thanks for your understanding.

Censorship without any critical feedback allowed:We welcome all forms of feedback, both positive and negative, as long as it is respectful and constructive. We have removed your comments, but you are welcome to re-post your feedback if you could please do so in a respectful, constructive manner. Want to know how to give good feedback? Please read this post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/317/how-to-give-good-feedback

Censorship without any different topics allowed:Please refrain from creating off-topic posts or posts that derail the subject of a thread. We have removed your comments to ensure the thread can continue on its specific subject. If you wish to share your thoughts, you may join an existing thread on that subject or start a new thread. Thanks for your understanding. Please do not respond to this message; inquiries may be directed to Forums@Arena.Net.