New Legendary Dagger feedback

Usually when I craft a legendary, I do it because I like the design of the weapon itself, and not just for the particle effects or auras. This dagger just feels a tad bit uninspired, mostly because it looks very similar in design to an already existing dagger, which is the Centurion's Claw.

Centurion%27s_Claw.jpg

I always thought Legendaries should feel unique in their design and stand out from the crowd, so I'm a bit disappointed that this is the first one that gives the impression that there were no unique ideas brought to the table, and so they just re-skinned another existing design and altered it slightly. Incinerator, by comparison, definitely feels more unique.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you saved and crafted to have it on its release day (forgoing the time to document its effects/model etc) and you don’t like it, shame on you for not waiting for more information to come out about it.

I am quite happy with my Incinerator, the new dagger looks ok, but boring imo. It doesn’t bother me though, because I’ll not craft it anyway.

@"Tenrai Senshi.2017" said:Usually when I craft a legendary, I do it because I like the design of the weapon itself, and not just for the particle effects or auras. This dagger just feels a tad bit uninspired, mostly because it looks very similar in design to an already existing dagger, which is the Centurion's Claw.

Centurion%27s_Claw.jpg

I always thought Legendaries should feel unique in their design and stand out from the crowd, so I'm a bit disappointed that this is the first one that gives the impression that there were no unique ideas brought to the table, and so they just re-skinned another existing design and altered it slightly. Incinerator, by comparison, definitely feels more unique.

well after completing story of PoF people were demanding sohothin as craftable legendary sword...

would you call it uninspired and point out to fiery dragon sword from HoM too?

point in case - the claw of khan-ur was in the lore before centurion's claw and for all we know it's not difficult to assuem centurions claw is same to the claw as fiery dragon sword is to sohothin/madgaer - a cheap copy made after legendary weapon for officers...

Myself I very like the design and will totally add it onto ever growing list of long term pursuits....

my only issue with is is that by books description you'd think it'd be a two handed weapon, not tiny dagger ;)

I mean - I could not see anyone really cutting himself with this thing due to "lack of experience with this kind of weapon"...

Not my personal taste for the cost, even though it doesn't have to be sparkly I find it a little lackluster visually. However some people prefer that so that's great too. :) Incinerator for me is still one of the best legendaries made (burns fingers by accident)

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Lunateric.3708 said:I like it's not the typical neon German sparkle party legendary, it's sober, simple and has amazing lore tied to it.

Amazing lore? This implementation destroys Claw's lore and charr culture entirely

Wow? Really? It destroys charr culture entirely?

If only the Ascalonians knew that all they had to do was produce a weapon skin!

I like it. :)

No it's not as flashy as some legendaries, but that makes it perfect for my thief who is not at all a flashy character. And conveniently already uses double daggers and is currently using the similarly shaped skin from the HoM (there is a name for these double-ended daggers but I can't remember it). I've never been able to find a dagger skin that was just right for him and settled on the HoM one as a temporary measure, but I think this might be what I was waiting for.

@Faaris.8013 said:It's not a dagger, it a Bat'leth.

Heck YEAH! :smiley:I made the Claw of the Khan-Ur and thought the same thing... it's a Klingon Weapon, BABY!!! OH YEAH! :sunglasses:

You know... if the Klingons could hang out with the Charr in some Twilight Zone-twisted universe, I think they'd REALLY dig each other! :sunglasses:

I've been saving up mats and waiting for the new dagger as I wasn't a huge fan of Incinerator, but I was really disappointed with this. I'm glad that some people enjoy the "non flashy" legendary, but if you want non-flashy then just get some random exotic or ascended weapon as those skins are all more on the tame side. A legendary is supposed to stand out and catch people's eye, and to me this skin and effect just doesn't. The draw effect is nice, but to me the rest misses the mark of being legendary.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Lunateric.3708 said:I like it's not the typical neon German sparkle party legendary, it's sober, simple and has amazing lore tied to it.

Amazing lore? This implementation destroys Claw's lore and charr culture entirely

Well he's kind of right. The whole point of the Claw of the Khan-Ur was as a symbolic weapon wielded by the primus imperator. Wielding this blade is one of the requirements of becoming Khan-Ur in the first place. The fact that anyone can now just make the weapon diminishes its value. Let's be clear here. You are making the legendary not a skin. This is the same issue that was brought up when they allowed us to make the shining blade. It is lore breaking to have a weapon that there is only meant to be one of to be craftable by anyone at any time.

On the other hand, as a fan of the books it's still an awesome weapon to make.

@Rawr.9467 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Lunateric.3708" said:I like it's not the typical neon German sparkle party legendary, it's sober, simple and has amazing lore tied to it.

Well he's kind of right. The whole point of the Claw of the Khan-Ur was as a symbolic weapon wielded by the primus imperator. Wielding this blade is one of the requirements of becoming Khan-Ur in the first place. The fact that anyone can now just make the weapon diminishes its value. Let's be clear here. You are making the legendary not a skin. This is the same issue that was brought up when they allowed us to make the shining blade. It is lore breaking to have a weapon that there is only meant to be one of to be craftable by anyone at any time.

I was commenting on his hyperbole.

Isn't that the same "problem" with just about every legendary in the game? Or at least every legendary with any lore behind it?

Regardless, this Claw of the Khan-Ur is obviously not the real Claw of the Khan-Ur as the real one was made centuries ago.

The real one certainly wasn't made in Lion's Arch by an asuran thief last night.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Lunateric.3708" said:I like it's not the typical neon German sparkle party legendary, it's sober, simple and has amazing lore tied to it.

Isn't that the same "problem" with just about every legendary in the game? Or at least every legendary with any lore behind it?

Regardless, this Claw of the Khan-Ur is obviously not the real Claw of the Khan-Ur as the real one was made centuries ago.

The real one certainly wasn't made in Lion's Arch by an asuran thief last night.

My problem is not really Claw becoming legendary, but the aquisition. If the Commander was rewarded for great accomplishment, with approval of charr and Imperators themselves, together with breaking up the tradition of Khan Ur altogether, I wouldn't mind.

Meanwhile - just buy 10k mithril and wood and boom, you have one of most important artifacts in whole game.

At this point - just sell me Scepter of Orr via BLC. Anet doesnt give a damn.

SHAME ON YOU, whoever is in charge of lore in this game, to allow such thing to happen. SHAME ON YOU.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

My problem is not really Claw becoming legendary, but the aquisition. If the Commander was rewarded for great accomplishment, with approval of charr and Imperators themselves, together with breaking up the tradition of Khan Ur altogether, I wouldn't mind.

Meanwhile - just buy 10k mithril and wood and boom, you have one of most important artifacts in whole game.

At this point - just sell me Scepter of Orr via BLC. Anet doesnt give a kitten.

SHAME ON YOU, whoever is in charge of lore in this game, to allow such thing to happen. SHAME ON YOU.

And there's that hyperbole again. :)

A bit too dramatic for me, really. It can't be the real Claw of the Khan-Ur as that's still hanging in the Black Citadel just like the real Shining Blade (weapon) is safely in the hands of the Shining Blade (organisation).

Zommoros obviously just has some kind of magical 3D printer run on blood and bone (and venom sacs, scales, dust, mystic curios, etc. etc.) that's capable of churning out some very, very expensive copies of weapons.

This is a solid legendary, to be honest. I would place it behind the last three legendaries to be released, but I think it was worth making and I would make it again if given the chance to make a second.

Pros:Draw effect is one of the top two in the game rivaled only by Flames of War. The charr rising up to salute the Khan-Ur is just beautiful, as are the gems gleaming in their eyes.On-crit effect is very nice, only one of five legendaries to have such an effect (others: Nevermore, Kudzu, the spear, Frostfang I believe is on hit)Great integration of the gems into the effects- sound effects, draw effects.Lore and accuracy of the actual weapon with lore (the four different gems, simple, crude-ish model, charr theme is wonderful).Projectile is very pretty and has a satisfying sound effect. Compared to the Incinerator sound effects, this is music to my ears.

Cons:No swing effects. This is really a terrible oversight. Having my incinerator trails replaced by default thief trails feels beyond lackluster.No arm aura. Not as bad as the first, but every Gen 2 weapon has had an arm aura (Sharur had two!)

Ambivalent/depends:The footsteps. They're pretty muted and I'm not the biggest fan of the brown/burnt orange color. That said, if you look at them in the right light, they are actually a very nice design, reminds you of the "skybox" footsteps of the legendary greatswords. But most of the terrain is a similar color and it's hard to appreciate them.The body aura. Again, it is very muted and easily overpowered even by Quip's body aura. However, I am a fan of the orange smoke.The draw/stow SOUND effects. Although the gleaming of the gems sounds pretty cool, I would have preferred a battle cry or something of that ilk.

Overall, it's not as good as The Binding of Ipos or The Shining Blade. I would put it on a similar tier with Sharur, which I know many people don't like... but I love Sharur.

Most people will compare it to Incinerator. Incinerator is a lot more flashy and it's been a classic mainstay in GW2 for 5 years. To me, Incinerator still has a nicer model and smooth swing effect that keep it the gold standard. The Claw wins with lore, draw effects, and crit effects. I think I'll be using the Claw for the near future, but I'm hoping for a nice orange swing effect in some patch.

Thank God a legendary that won't blind me entirely because of the people that stack six auras on top of a character and think that color vomit is cute.

It's practical.It has value.Lore behind it.And an extra effect that makes it stand out compared to it's other counterpart.

Good job Anet.Thank you for not going super anime fun time with this weapon.

Archived