How do you feel about Renown Hearts?

Personally I feel like renown hearts don't really fit into the game and at best should be left to low level zones as they were originally designed as an afterthought in order to help players coming from other MMO's who are used to quest hubs adapt to GW2's open world and event system. They should have ceased after level 25 zones but eventually they did cease when you got to Orr but they brought them back for Living Story 3, Path of Fire, and Living Story 4 and made them even worse by making them repeatable. They feel like tedious chores to me and as I'm working on wayfarer's henge and having to repeat the same ones daily in order to get the rune stone pieces.. it's just become mind numbingly boring. But maybe I'm in the minority and other people REALLY enjoy hearts and really like repeating them... so.. I'd like to know where the community sits on them.. who knows maybe if they're as unpopular with others as they are me Anet might stop making them. The change to make them repeatable was first requested on the forums afterall.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90% of them are essentially chores. Stomp the bugs! Kill the bugs! Bring me this! Bring me that!

Yaaawwwwn. I want to play a game. For entertainment. Not for bringing back memories of a boring choreday.

Some of the hearts are fun. Some are unique. For example the matchmaking in Vabbi or the troupe assistance in Vabbi. Those were pretty fun but still a bit repetitive.

I want a proper quest that doesn't make us grind for completing it. Maybe make hearts client-sided events instead. It would offer a much more rich experience as it leads you into a plot thread, unknowing what lies ahead

Eh, they're okay to me. Some I don't mind doing over again while others I'd rather just avoid completely. It really all depends on how the heart in question is implemented and what's being offered in the vendor. As long as the hearts in question are nothing like the "Join the Ash Legion of Tawny Ridge in stealth operations" heart (that's one heart I wouldn't mind seeing removed from the game) I'll probably do them again eventually.

I hated hearts for map completion in core, but it being a condition for two gifts of exploration was fair.

Since then hearts have been smaller, seemingly easier to fill (I may be mistaken) and having the minor gate from day to day isn't a problem if you really want something from it.

The repeatable nature isn't bad if it was a bit more rewarding, because for the vast majoirty I have no interest in going back. HAVING to do them for completion is a bit less appealing when a map demands 10-20 out of you, and you don't care.

5ish on a brand new map is tolerable to a player who comes back every LS update.

Really I think they are fine, you only HAVE to do them if you want something particular, in which case they may be tedious but it's a fair time sink.

I think you are missing an option or two.

I like hearts. I think they should be repeatable, but take half the work. I think the vendor should remain open after the first unlock, but not for map specific currency items. And only then, the LW maps. I don’t think there is any reason to be hiding anything on PoF heart vendors. But something like Lake Doric, where you might likely only be doing the heart for extra currency to buy a necklace or something, why not? Especially, as I stated earlier, if they only require half the work on subsequent clears.

As a final thought, I think every DE should be tied towards clearing some heart. There are many DEs in the world that are orphaned from hearts they are near, and I see a lot of people say they are fine with DEs but hate hearts. If there were always a connection, you could clear hearts by doing nothing but related DEs, if you so choose, having no general interest in the plight of the nearby farmer.

Whenever something like repeatable hearts happen, I always get the sense that it is my fault. Like, the reason why every bad suggestion comes to fruition is because I didn't spend enough time personally shouting it down.

I can be a whole lot harsher than I am, and I'm already a high aggro player, so I try to restrain myself knowing this all of this. But still...

I remember trying to shout down the guy who suggested repeatable hearts, he thought it'd make the zones more lively. I thought it'd just be tedious and boring and while maybe people would be doing it, they wouldn't be doing it because they enjoyed up but rather because they needed something off the vendor.

I dont mind doing hearts, but I dont like doing them for vendors on LW/PoF maps. That said, there's an obvious exception- some LW hearts give extra currency on the vendor when completed, so we should still have to complete the heart to gain that extra daily currency, but all other items should be available.

Most hearts are tedious, but some are a ton of fun. I'd give an A+ to the magnet one in the new living story map. I've completed it almost every day since episode 2 was released, and I'm still not tired of it. The other three are kind of meh. The worst of the four, in my opinion, is the hunting one that is the furthest north.

So I unmount to check a bush, quickly remount, then 'Q' to attack the Jacaranda. The jacaranda is a bad choice as it takes too long to kill with just my low cooldown skills, but dies way too quickly for me to use stronger skills without feeling like I wasted them. You can also attack the lions, but I've found that they often despawn right before I kill them. I know there is a prairie dog thing, but I haven't managed to do this successfully.

The remaining two just feel like each success should reward a bit more of the bar than they do.

Bad poll is bad, the only options are loving repeatable hearts, or hating ( just worded differently).I am okay with the repeatable hearts. I dont particularly love them, but i dont dislike them either.Its not like I have to do them every day, just every once in a while.If you remove the challenge of the repeating hearts, you also have to remove the map currencies you can buy every day.

Basically I agree with you: Hearts are a bad design, but it would have been ok to have them in level 1-25 areas. And removed them afterwards. Preferable change them, so the heart gives just lets you trigger the relevant event.

The problem right now, is that it would be too much work (for too little gain) for ANet to change this (backward) now. They might make changes forward, but what we got, we got.

Regarding repeatable hearts in general, and all the old hearts in core Tyria while at it, I think a good solution would be to let you continue to do the tasks if you wanted to. Atm most of the hearts shuts off the tasks once you've finished them, so once you've completed the Charr garden once, you can't go back and play at being gardener again etc.

A lot of the Hearts do have some unique and interesting ideas and mechanics (I for one love the Charr Ash legion stealth one, one of the few I want to do over again). So, finishing them also shuts off trying the mechanics of that heart (most of the time).

When a buddy told me they where adding "repeatable hearts" to the game, I seriously though it was 1st april, had to double check the date 2 times. Ah well, I'll just ignore them as always. Haven't bothered doing a heart since my guardian did world completion first time.

All the basic things like recipes and misc stuff should remain unlocked, especially those required for collections. The only thing that should be locked behind repeating the heart daily ( still with saved progress) are things like map currencies and trade contracts etc. And scale all heart completions to take no more than 5min of killing rubbish mobs. Some hearts, you need to observe carefully to see the progress bar move at all from killing a group of mobs.

That type of poorly scaled heart is why I don't do the older (and some newer) hearts - some are easy but others are a pita. And not all hearts have DEs that provide easier completion.

The hearts feel like an original gameplay timesink, back when there wasn't much else to do

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Bad poll is bad, the only options are loving repeatable hearts, or hating ( just worded differently).I am okay with the repeatable hearts. I dont particularly love them, but i dont dislike them either.Its not like I have to do them every day, just every once in a while.If you remove the challenge of the repeating hearts, you also have to remove the map currencies you can buy every day.

well I figured there's 2 options that like doing hearts/don't mind doing them one of them enjoys repeatable the other would prefer non repeatable.

@"joneirikb.7506" said:Basically I agree with you: Hearts are a bad design, but it would have been ok to have them in level 1-25 areas. And removed them afterwards. Preferable change them, so the heart gives just lets you trigger the relevant event.

The problem right now, is that it would be too much work (for too little gain) for ANet to change this (backward) now. They might make changes forward, but what we got, we got.

Regarding repeatable hearts in general, and all the old hearts in core Tyria while at it, I think a good solution would be to let you continue to do the tasks if you wanted to. Atm most of the hearts shuts off the tasks once you've finished them, so once you've completed the Charr garden once, you can't go back and play at being gardener again etc.

A lot of the Hearts do have some unique and interesting ideas and mechanics (I for one love the Charr Ash legion stealth one, one of the few I want to do over again). So, finishing them also shuts off trying the mechanics of that heart (most of the time).

When a buddy told me they where adding "repeatable hearts" to the game, I seriously though it was 1st april, had to double check the date 2 times. Ah well, I'll just ignore them as always. Haven't bothered doing a heart since my guardian did world completion first time.

I feel the tawny ridge heart needs to be changed. I was just doing world completion on an alt because I need more gifts of exploration and there was a cluster of people I guess doing the same thing. and if you are good at the stealth minigame and enjoy it, that's fine but what bothers me about that heart is that there is no other option, the stealth minigame is it. So what happens for people who don't enjoy that is that they just have to repeat the first 1-3 flags over and over until the heart completes. That's not fun at all. Some other option for completion should be available.

I think there's some consensus that repetition of hearts doesn't seem to add anything as far as doing them over goes and that people just do it because they need something off the vendor or extra map currencies., but few people actually enjoy repeating the tasks themselves.

Make repeatable heart optional for repeating.

When you completed the heart, it will be completed but allow achievement collection items to remain hidden, until the vender tab requipment is unlocked, then you can talk to vendor for repeat the heart.

If you need nothing from the heart vendor, it is not necessary to complete the heart again to acess heart vendor.

I don't mind hearts...as a one time thing. Even a famous dragon/god slayer needs to pay the bills and might take on odd jobs between heroic acts. But, well, let me put it this way: I've been out of keys for a week now and every day I log in and tell myself "I'll do some hearts...later". So far, it hasn't happened. Maybe today though.

Archived