We have the best community <3

gert.7698

@Strages.2950 said:

@"Raizel.8175" said:I tend to disagree. The feeling that GW2 has an overly friendly community is quite artificial since large parts of the game are designed to avoid any kind of conflict between players. If you get into more multiplayer-focused content like raids or high-tier-fractals, you'll see quite early that the GW2-community or at least parts of it can be utterly toxic just like in every other MMORPG which focuses on multiplayer-activities.

I agree with this. I've taken time to reflect on gw2 as a whole and I came to realise that this game seems to be more (if not completely) tailored to casual players. Outside of WvW/PvP/Raids/
some
meta events, there is no way to actually fail (nowadays with power creep you'd have to be a literal potato to fail dungeons). In gw1 you could fail a multitude of things in varying ways. Restarting quests/vqs/challenges was a common occurrence and people needed to know what to do, and what was happening, but not so much in gw2.

I think the fact that the game is so easy (outside of the exclusions above) gives players an unrealistic scale of how friendly the community is. I did SE the other day with pugs. 3 of them were fantastic, but there was one obnoxious pug who did nigh on everything incorrectly, then blamed the rest of the party for his problems. This happens a lot in Fractal pugs and PvP too.

Please note I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.

TL;DR the game is tailored to be easy with no tension, and once tension is introduced the "best community" veil falls, where you meet some nasty people.

EDIT: Come to think of it, that's probably why I like SAB trib so much. That's one area of the game you actually
can
fail, and you don't have to rely on other people, just your own skill.

While PVE content is indeed quite easy, I think its the game design itself which allows for a helpful community itself; the way experience and loot is shared, how nodes are personal and mostly how open world event work. If you have a goal (collection, achievement, hero point, mastery) the game systems makes getting help and helping others very easy, if not outright benefitial for all parties. I (unlike you) think that this is the actual core of the GW2 community; one that using game systems that promote cooperation have fostered an extremely pleasant experience for people in PVE open world.

Other game modes are more competitive and will (obviously) result in more situations that can lead to finger pointing and playing the blame game. That said, I think the PVE mentality has bled over to other game modes. You can see it constantly in WvW with people reviving each other (it sucks to walk back), building siege and repairing walls together. You see it in fractals all the time as well, people teaching others the mechanics of certain fractals (especially in lower tiers). The game systems just make you want others to do well because its to your benefit if they do.

That said, toxic people do exist and they tend to be extremely vocal, which is why you notice them more. Even in PVP out of the 10 players involved most people dont bother with the salt fest. Its usually just one or two people who engage in this stuff every few matches. But because its drama, its a lot more memorable than matches that go off without a hitch.

Meh. It's all overly superficial and has no real meaning. The kind of cooperation GW2 favors is the kind of cooperation where people are playing "besides each other" rather than truly "together". The game forces no real cooperation on a deeper level, not even in content like raids (in other games, such content would force people to actually cooperate on a deeper level, even using stuff like TS/Discord).

It also suffers from this kind of game design. This may sound overly philosophical, but conflict is a main-aspect of human coexistence. Competition is one of the main-reasons people want to get better at stuff. It's also one major factor bringing people together on a deeper level. Having personal gathering nodes is fine, but there should be differences in reward-structures so people actually get the motivation to get better, to be able to carry their own weight.

All GW2s game-design does though is to spoil people who want to leech. There's no real difference between bronze, silver or gold participation; you rarely get anything but gold anyways. There's no real graduation in rewards considering the effort you have to put in several activities. Should stuff like RIBA/CF or Palawadan really be the most rewarding stuff in this game even though you can basically do that stuff braindead, only using auto-attacks?

No wonder people cry about fairly easy stuff like Serpent's Ire. Besides some meta-events or world-bosses, people are rarely forced to team up in GW2 since everything is just too easy. GW2 is basically the least sociable, the least "multiplayer" MMORPG out there. You may as well remove the second "M". I mean, people are even whining around that they have to team up for HoT-HPs... in a MMORPG! The lack of conflict is also one of the main-reasons why this playerbase is so very vulnerable to "META" and can be so very toxic in comparatively easy endgame-content.

Well, at least this - especially the missing multiplayer-feeling - is my biggest problem with GW2. Opinions differ though, so... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@Kraggy.4169 said:@Raizel.8175 - the 'G' in MMORPG doesn't stand for GROUP .. just saying .. and you don't get much more MMO than something like the Pala and GH events currently, just how many players playing TOGETHER does it take for you to accept it as an MMORPG?

The second "M" in MMORPG stands for "Multiplayer". Yes, stuff like Palawadan is - in a certain sense - multiplayer-content. But - even though it may sound weird to you - the problem is that it actually doesn't really feel like multiplayer-content since you don't have to put any kind of commitment into such events. It's not like you actually cooperate with other people to achieve a common goal. In fact, events that do are widely unpopular. Just look at the massive whining about events like Serpent's Ire where people only have to cooperate on a very basic level. What's important to create a real multiplayer-feeling isn't the number of people participating in certain activities, it's rather the degree of cooperation, the degree of socialization certain activities require. Do I perceive other people in Palawadan as actual people or more or less as NPCs with a varying degree of bad/good AI? Do I have content where I actually have to strategize with other people, managing CDs and stuff?

Yes, GW2 is a MMORPG. It's just that the actual multiplayer-feeling is rather weak in comparison to other MMORPGs.

I started a few months after launch, and there were a lot of helpful vets. Not only in PvE, but in WvW. I think it's just important to eventually find your way into a compatible guild for your personality and playstyle.

It didn't take very long to find a LOT of negativity in PvE dungeons, unfortunately. I think that results in players expecting optimal gameplay because they farmed the instance, and there was no way to compensate them for lost time or flow.

As the WvW community became a little bit focused on insulated pockets (PuG blobs can be tiring for even the most friendly and inclusive players, let alone people that don't really care for that experience), I tried to help out and be that active, friendly veteran in chat that could give a bit of guidance or help take a camp or so.

ANet did something other game developers just couldn't/still can't figure out: remove negative, contested/competitive gameplay from open world, ensure all players can benefit from being around each other.

For instance, things like harvesting nodes--everyone gets to harvest 'em.

No 'tag first for kill credit' (also, no kill stealing); everyone can attack, every gets credit.

ANet made it so other people romping around with you in the open world isn't an innately aggressive or hostile experience.

And for this, I am most grateful and appreciative! <3

@gert.7698 said:it has happened several times that I had to kill a bounty for an achievement. I couldn’t find any groups via lfg, but every time when I asked for help in the map chat, people came to help me. Even in the morning when the map is almost empty, there are still 2, 3,.. people coming to help me. Thank you so much for that.The players in this game are so nice, friendly and helpful! I love the fantasic community very much. this is why I play this game since beta <3 <3 <3

Add me in game if you like .... I will always help! I like having something to do and find that map chat always has someone looking for a hand :D

@"Nep Leet.5491" said:No 'tag first for kill credit' (also, no kill stealing); everyone can attack, every gets credit.

My problem is that people always see the negative side of the "tag first" or "most damage" concepts. There's a reasons these concepts exists. It's to force people to team up and to socialize by also having downtimes through regenerating HP or Mana. In GW2, you're rarely forced to team up with other people and that dulls of the multiplayer-experience MMORPGs should deliver. There's literally no benefit at all to team up with other people. Even boons are shared even though you aren't in a party and for a MMORPG that's really whacky game-design.

@Raizel.8175 I think the pros of the 'no tag first' outweigh any cons. The amount of toxic chatter that results with tag first systems is well known, and it naturally fosters frustration and discord. The way GW2 is set up, players are much more inclined to help someone out they come across in the wild. How many times have I stopped to help a dying player taking on a hero point challenge or event? Lots! GW2 encourages and rewards players for helping each other, and creates a much more accessible and welcoming community because of it.

EDIT: And more on your point, events and such have a tiered system where you get a certain level of reward for how much you contributed during the event (bronze, silver, gold, etc). So you're not necessarily getting full credit for getting in one shot at the very end. In fact there are many times I've reached an event just because the boss is killed, and I get no credit despite getting a few shots in on the enemy.

@"Svennis.3852" said:@"Raizel.8175" I think the pros of the 'no tag first' outweigh any cons. The amount of toxic chatter that results with tag first systems is well known, and it naturally fosters frustration and discord. The way GW2 is set up, players are much more inclined to help someone out they come across in the wild. How many times have I stopped to help a dying player taking on a hero point challenge or event? Lots! GW2 encourages and rewards players for helping each other, and creates a much more accessible and welcoming community because of it.

I'd agree with you weren't it for content in which people need to be able to carry their weight. People don't learn that in the basic experience GW2 offers and that's one of the main-reasons this game suffers from such heavy pseudo-elitism in more sophisticated content like raids or fractals. I'm not necessarily a fan of the "tag first" concept either, but there should be differences in how much you contributed. Sure, in case of stuff like HPs, that's kinda hard, but there isn't really any incentive to perform well at events since you reach gold far too easy and it doesn't matter much loot-wise anyway since bronze/silver/gold rewards are mostly the same. I also think this game should incentivize teaming up more to make people socialize more (which MMORPGs should do anyway).

well, try triple trouble without ts/discord organized commanders.try wvw blobbing without ts/discordetc pp.

There is a lot of stuff that requires 'deeper' cooperation.

But it is good there is also stuff like Shadow Behe or Wychmire Wurm, where even complete newbies can contribute and feel good about it.

Competitive environments forster hostile communities - and I can live without those very well. I enjoy my wvw, I enjoy hanging around in DR or The Grove goofing around. I enjoy traveling across the low level maps helping out newbies, I enjoy taking out Bounties in POF maps with a small to medium sized squad. Tag first concept forces people into being antisocial salt industrial grade dispensers - and I really don't want to deal with that anymore. If I wanted hostile, salty, elitist communities I would still play World of Tanks.

You might think 'it is too easy to be friendly and that is bad'. I think ' it is easy to be friendly and that is good'. If you want hostility - you can have that everywhere. I want a friendly game where social behaviour is rewarded, because after a stressful day at work, I really DO NOT WANT any more artifically created drama. I want some nice game to relax and have fun. Maybe because I am relatively old. If I want hostile, salty, insulting behaviour - I have that every singly day at work. Thanks a lot. No need to ruin my evenings/weekends with that.

@Raizel.8175 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:@Raizel.8175 I think the pros of the 'no tag first' outweigh any cons. The amount of toxic chatter that results with tag first systems is well known, and it naturally fosters frustration and discord. The way GW2 is set up, players are much more inclined to help someone out they come across in the wild. How many times have I stopped to help a dying player taking on a hero point challenge or event? Lots! GW2 encourages and rewards players for helping each other, and creates a much more accessible and welcoming community because of it.

I'd agree with you weren't it for content in which people need to be able to carry their weight. People don't learn that in the basic experience GW2 offers and that's one of the main-reasons this game suffers from such heavy pseudo-elitism in more sophisticated content like raids or fractals. I'm not necessarily a fan of the "tag first" concept either, but there should be differences in how much you contributed. Sure, in case of stuff like HPs, that's kinda hard, but there isn't really any incentive to perform well at events since you reach gold far too easy and it doesn't matter much loot-wise anyway since bronze/silver/gold rewards are mostly the same. I also think this game should incentivize teaming up more to make people socialize more (which MMORPGs should do anyway).

The only problem I see is you seem to only value certain ways to socialize, dismissing and looking down on others ways. The organized team is only one of many social experiences. It is only one of many ways to play...Maybe you don't consider reading and writing in a forum without any rewards as socialization.Maybe you don't take your dog out to the park to share the experience with all those other pet owners doing the same.Maybe on a trip you don't like to interact with other tourists or the local people without a clear plan.Maybe you never went to those discotheques were you danced "alone within the crowd".I hope you did enjoy these things and eventually can enjoy playing in a lightheaded social game like GW2 open world too.

The good community are basic on the casual environment system design.No gear competition, No level competition, witout open map PVP.

Advantage:The casual player can be enjoy the game without any competition pressure. Player can left or comeback anytime whatever they want.

Disadvantage:Most of player are motivate by the achievements, skin, gemstone for BlackLion items. After they finish the target, they will AFK until new update release.That cause some of maps or party of content always empty.WVW , PVP already lost for long period...

in terms of helping ppl in the open world, yes, it is a friendly environment.step out of it where teams are important and the friendly part is replaced with gid gud (or whatever youngsters call it) and the familiar "necro's are not good, get out" remarks (while i have perfected the balance of survivability and damage, not to mention that i play this game from launch), if anything ppl in raids can learn a thing or two from PvE open world players.

@OrbitalButt.5708 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Personally I thought that City of Heroes had a better community, but we all know what happened there.

I've never seen before or since such an amazing and awesome community as City of Heroes had. Gadzooks I'm getting homesick now

I miss my city of heroes super strength fire armor burn tank. All the pocket speed boosters now play Gw2. :)

Ps:: R.I.P. City of Heroes. They invented fashion wars!!

What I also like with GW2 community is that a majority of players have the proper approach to "chat-trolls", what helps limiting their impact. Usually, when a chat-troll starts in the map chat, players ignore him/her, either by blocking or by not responding. In most cases, left alone in map chat, the troll stops and leaves to go find someone else to bother.Of course, it is not always that perfect. However, at times I am playing, it is rare that I see a chat-troll getting success at provocation. When it happens, that's rather over the weekend and never last for long.

GW2 community is the worst I've ever seen. I only recommend something or say something and people get triggered for no reason and calling names, then when i come back with calling names, they get depressed and block me. Too many people on this community have double standards on right and left. Try to go raiding, pvp, fractals and see it.

GW2 community is one of the most toxic ones, you just don't realize it because it's on not the conventional bad side of the spectrum.

In other games you step out of line by not doing what the group asks of you. And yes, sometimes that can be bad and toxic too!

In GW2 you step out of line by asking others to start playing to win. For example god forbid someone tells player A in a ranked game that "hey, you shouldn't be doing x because it'll cause us to lose rating", you're suddendly trashtalked, blocked, player goes afk, how dare you tell him politely what to do in a team game based on communication in a competitive environment.

GW2 community is ridiculously sheltered, and while in that bubble you think it's amazing, but the moment the tiniest bit of discomfort presents itself everyone loses their shit.

GW2 community is like the tumblr of MMOs.

Archived