GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

@"Mike O Brien.4613" said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

Please also take a good look at this employe:

Uh huh just someone stirring the pot...AGAIN. This was back in March anyway and it seems everyone has been happily playing the game since then. Has it affected your personal game play in any way since then? NO.........ignore the posting and move on.

3 months is hardly a long time ago. If it were 3 years ago I might be able to let it slide. But 3 months? no way.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came to the forums to say thank you Mo for your leadership and sticking to the vision you have of your company; I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make, firing someone is never easy. But I'm happy that we can put this matter behind us.

@Mel.8734 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

@"Mike O Brien.4613" said:Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

Uh huh just someone stirring the pot...AGAIN. This was back in March anyway and it seems everyone has been happily playing the game since then. Has it affected your personal game play in any way since then? NO.........ignore the posting and move on.

3 months is hardly a long time ago. If it were 3 years ago I might be able to let it slide. But 3 months? no way.

And just HOW does this affect you and playing GW2 now? It just looks like trolling trying to keep everything hostile and tore up.

I'm pretty surprised Peter Fries got fired as well. He was polite during the whole exchange from what I saw. I wonder if they were looking for a reason to get rid of him anyway and this was just an excuse. Going forward I think the game devs will be much less open with the player base for fear of losing their jobs.

I'm sad this incident happened because she shared with us a window into the challenges of how to handle character development for a character you can't define. While the only view I had into her was her Twitter account, it seemed like she existed in an amped up state of constant rage and stress, always lashing out, and never really seeming to truly enjoy anything. All of this is unfortunate and didn't have to happen, and I hope she can learn to get things under control and not see normal, everyday interactions as attacks. It was probably the last straw, but essentially telling your customers you hate them and their feedback is unwelcome is career suicide.

Edit:After seeing the Kotaku article I'm having an even harder time giving JP the benefit of the doubt. For whatever reason, she can't take critique- to the point where she seems to see it as an injustice carried out against her. She has to tolerate it from her coworkers for professional reasons, Oh! the humanity, the tragedy of it all! No really- she makes clear what a terrible burden it is to not lash out at her coworkers. But when a mere consumer of the product she works on dares approach her in a manner that is ever so slightly critical she can't handle it. And sadly, it seems to be her M.O. It's incredibly disappointing to see this from a professional, moreover one that chose to share her perspective on the challenges of storytelling in an MMORPG. She needs to learn to separate herself from her work and understand critique is not a personal attack. This was almost certainly not her first incident.

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

Mo

And just HOW does this affect you and playing GW2 now? It just looks like trolling trying to keep everything hostile and tore up.These people write the story for the game we love. If they are that ideologically biased it will have influence on the story narrative. I dont want biased bigots write the story for the games i love.

@cmpgamer.9628 said:Would you want to keep an employee who explodes at simple criticisms and questions?

It wouldn't have been a problem if she wasn't publicly representing ArenaNet. She was apparently a good writer according to the forums of her last job, but she was known to snip at people and has a long history of this bad behavior.

i am not comfortable with the swift axing of peter fries either. from my perspective, it looks much more like an attempt at covering up liability as opposed to any actual addressing of jessica price's behavior. whereas jessica has had a short history with anet and a long history of aggression and rudeness to not just gw2 community members, but social media in general; peter has had such a long positive standing with the company AND community that it was shocking to see him fired along with her for what was minimal involvement compared to jessica.

i do not agree with jessica's behavior, her rudeness towards others. however i do not agree with sweeping it under the rug without any sort of proper addressing, or even apology for her actions. i do not agree with peter being thrown in with her to be fired when he had not so much as even a handful of tweets interaction and involvement.

and lastly i do not agree with the toxicity i am seeing from the community as well, the sheer viciousness im seeing from other players here is frankly appalling, as if this was some sort of gleeful anti-feminist witch hunt for them rather than dealing with one problematic employee. as someone who is a minority in many ways including race and gender, it makes me feel unsafe as a player of this game even more so than arenanet's decision to let go of JP and PF in response to JP's actions

@Mel.8734 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

Mo

And just HOW does this affect you and playing GW2 now? It just looks like trolling trying to keep everything hostile and tore up.These people write the story for the game we love. If they are that ideologically biased it will have influence on the story narrative. I dont want biased bigots write the story for the games i love.

Seriously????? LOL ok whatever just quit stirring up people with old stuff keeping the argument going for no reason. What's done is done and ANET served the justice they felt was needed. Let it go now and be one with the force.

Unfortunate that people had to be fired, but this was an expected outcome. Can't believe people are still saying garbage on Twitter, Facebook, etc and expecting it to be personal and private with no consequences.

If you represent the company in any way, and say stuff that hurts the company and its image, you're going to be fired. This is 2k18 people.

Unfortunate Fries was collateral, but you need to pick your battles. This was not one of them, especially not on a public platform.

I... Feel bad for Peter Fries. Did he deserve some sort of disciplinary measure? Sure. Did he deserve the same thing as Jessica Price? I don't think so.

For that matter, my mind is in all sorts of places about the firing. I understand this was a really hard decision to make, and I accept that being let go is a logical consequence to JP's behavior. Still, something about this doesn't feel quite right.

@Oneiroid.9245 said:I have to say I do not agree with the firing of Peter Fries and I feel anet has caved TOO far to community demands, as what Peter did didn't warrant such a severe reaction. He has been a long-standing employee at your company who has been nothing but nice and may have made a singular foolish choice. Surely he may have needed to be reprimanded but to go so far as to fire him is extremely rash and giving in to the 'bandwagon' of anger, and in my eyes is shameful. I'm not going to touch the topic of Jessica Price-- for Peter alone, I feel this was too severe and I feel you did not make the right decision in his case. This whole incident is already such a disaster on BOTH sides of the topic and this just makes things worse. I suppose if this is anet's choice, it cannot be undone, but to any employees reading this who have had a say in this manner, I hope that in the future you consider these things way more carefully as whatever crowd was crying for Peter to be fired really did not actually represent your whole community and was merely the loudest, not the most rational. There were better and less extreme solutions for his behavior.

I would love to agree with this since everything you said about Peter is true.However I can't and the only reason I can't is because I cannot find Peters comments as they've been deleted.It would be equally unfair for me to defend him as it would be to condone his firing simply because I have no access to the information he posted which only makes me even more unsure about how to feel about him being let go.All I do know is that for 12 years he worked on two of my favorite games and for that I will always be grateful for his contributions to them.. and I even extend the same gratitude to Jess for her work on Gw2 as well even though I in no way support her social media behavior.

Overall I'm just disappointed that this happened at all.. but I am deeply relieved that this community has survived with relatively little division and toxicity to one another.I've seen other communities utterly torn apart by far less so I'm damn proud of my fellow Gw2 players for being better than that and keeping the Gw2 community such an great and upstanding community to be a part of.

@Queen of Chaos.7506 said:I will echo what others have said, sorry to see it came down to letting people go. Was hoping to see an apology and disciplinary action. I can only imaging at this point that there was refusals to apologize.I was thinking something similar. In particular, I don't feel that PF's twitter contributions to the situation should be something one wouldn't be able to recover from. But we don't know what happened behind the closed doors at the ANet offices.

I've seen posts defending her actions and I was to ask this:If it had been a man saying those things to a female player, would you be defending their actions then?

As a female player, I can say that I was ashamed of her interactions with the community. Her language toward them was insulting and rude, and completely uncalled for. If she didn't want to have a discussion about work stuff on her day off on her "personal" account, then she shouldn't have opened the floor by posting what she did. If it was addressed in the AMA that should have been the end of it. But it seems to me that she went out of her way to further discussion about a game related topic and then lost her mind when someone stepped up with opposing ideas and suggestions.

Not sure why anyone is surprised, from the beginning you will not find a company that expressly tells their customers they want as much feedback as possible at every turn, both in game and out, no matter the platform. We all know pretty much all of everyone that works at ANet's social media accounts, and they know that too.

@saerni.2584 said:Disappointing. As a practical matter it was likely the only option from a business perspective.

But, I’m sad to see a woman in game development brought down by cries of misandry and reverse-racism. It’s not a good look to wear. It’s another Gamer-gate.

Ever heard of who cares that someone is a guy or a girl if they do their jobe it is fine. who cares if someone is a girl of boy it is the person that matters not the race gender or what ever. If a person is not nice it doesn't matter that the person is. It is called looking at the person not there race gender or what ever.

Seriously thank you, Arenanet; from the bottom of my heart.I know the community overreacts to things that don't deserve it, like with HoT, the mount licence (which was badly implemented at fist but didn't warrant the backlash received), when people complained about diversity in game, or the issues with release of Episode 3 more recently, but this was a serious issue, and I'm glad you did the right thing here. If you like something, you need to be critical of it, so it can be even better next time, not only from your team (which I hope didn't have this issue), but from the players; even if it were to be a "dumb" criticism, respect and cordiality are fundamental pillars, this is what makes the community in the game and around it, the best out there.So again, thank you for discerning overreactions from bigger problems and act accordingly. You are seriously the best. I'm glad the confidence I have in you all is well placed. :heart:

Archived