So we wanted a charr motorcycle, we got an armadillo...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I the only one who saw this and assumed an armadillo pangolin was the nearest thing to a hedgehog Anet felt they could make without risking getting sued by Sega? Not that they have the copyright on hedgehogs generally, and Anet can hardly be blamed if lots of players choose to dye it blue, but curling into a ball and zooming around the map super fast is pretty distinctive. (And not remotely a trait anyone would associate with real armadillos, pangolins or hedgehogs.) Honestly I thought it was the obvious choice for a new skin.

More generally, as this topic shows, it's completely impossible for Anet to release 1 skin that everyone in the game will like. Doesn't matter what the skin is or what mount it's for, there's always going to be people who love it, people who hate it and people who are completely indifferent.

I suppose they could have designed a bunch of new skins and released them all together, but a motorbike would almost certainly be another 2k gem skin and I imagine there would be more complaining than usual if they released 2 of those at once, especially if those were the only skins we've gotten for the rollerbeetle. 1 might be accepted, 2 at once I could see people worrying that all rollerbeetle skins will cost 2k gems.

Give it time and I'm sure we'll have a whole variety of beetle skins, like we do for the other mounts. (And yes there's some styles people want still 'missing' from those - but I highly doubt Anet are done making skins for the original 5 mounts either.)

I understand the frustration - I knew as soon as mounts were announced that I'd want alternate skins for them, and suspected those would be in the gem store. I was ready and willing to buy skins as soon as PoF came out but had to wait until the Branded pack was released in March (almost 6 months after PoF) to get ones I liked and until the Istani Isles mounts were released for what I'd originally wanted - plain skins for each mount which look like the defaults but have 4 dye channels - in a format I was willing to deal with. Now I'm waiting for new skins for the beetle which I like and can afford (I love pangolins, and armadillos, but 2k gems is more than I can afford with gold, cash or a combination right now), but I'm sure we'll get them eventually.

@roqoco.4053 said:WoW, of course, has motorcycles, but it feels a bit ridiculous and unimmersive. Hope that GW2 doesn't go the same way. And that's from an RL biker.

I'm not sure about WoW (I stopped paying close attention to Warcraft lore after Warcraft 3) but GW2 already has motorbikes, along with tanks and other vehicles - check out the War Wagon Prep Deck in the Black Citadel for some examples. They appear elsewhere too (including various points in the personal story) but those are the easiest to find. So there shouldn't be any immersion issues, since they're already part of the lore and a relatively common sight in the world.

@roqoco.4053 said:WoW, of course, has motorcycles, but it feels a bit ridiculous and unimmersive. Hope that GW2 doesn't go the same way. And that's from an RL biker.

I would have preferred less tech in gw2, but I dont think that player controlled motorcycles would be immersion breaking in a game that already includes tanks, helicopters, armored personnel vehicles, motorcycles, and submarines.

I think the armadillo is pretty cute, honestly. I'm more likely to get it than I would be to get a charr motorcycle. Although I probably won't get it because, like other "premium" mount skins, it's too expensive and there are too many things to spend money on in the game at this point.

Yeah, the first time I saw one over there was about when I decided the game was not for me. Done right is one thing but just dropping a 20th century earth machine into a RPG? No, just no.

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:What you people don't get: the armadillo (pangolin) skin is intended for people who can't withstand the awful horror that is the base mount, but still want to use it

Yes, I agree that severe entomophobia might get in the way of that. ;) Seriously, there are spiders in this game and no one bothered to implement a local replacement feature for arachnophobes. :p

@Scud.5067 said:If the Charr motorcycle is basically a wheel, that rolled up like the beetle then.. I can see it working.

However, as we've seen with.. practically every other skin ever made (all of them?), a skin follows the boning in the original mount.

In other words, its skeleton must correspond to the original mount.

Heck, I could be wrong - are there any skins that deviate from the original mount's skeletal setup?

Basically this. Until ANet shows a willingness to introduce skins that break the base mount's skeleton (maybe THAT would be worth 2K gems) I wouldn't expect any charr cycles, or skritt in a hamster ball or anything that isn't a round, hunchback creature with stubby limbs that can roll into a ball.

@Scud.5067 said:If the Charr motorcycle is basically a wheel, that rolled up like the beetle then.. I can see it working.

However, as we've seen with.. practically every other skin ever made (all of them?), a skin follows the boning in the original mount.

In other words, its skeleton must correspond to the original mount.

Heck, I could be wrong - are there any skins that deviate from the original mount's skeletal setup?

A charr cycle would have simpler animations. But probably blown up on particles

I'd be happy with some kind of inquest golem pod racer creation, or a decapitated wurm/hydra head (lol, even a pacman or kirby rip-off^^). We have 2 armatures, 2 legs, a head, a main carapace and 2 smaller carapaces at most to work with; we don't need to use all of them. The roller beetle essentially functions like a chariot, but i have trouble making the model fit :/

@Menadena.7482 said:

Yeah, the first time I saw one over there was about when I decided the game was not for me. Done right is one thing but just dropping a 20th century earth machine into a RPG? No, just no.

bro the Charr Car has been in the game in 2012, its been parked in black citadel, show in core gw2 story in Orr, and used in WvW since desert bordelands came out with HoT expansion, people won't recommend it for the sake of HEY I WANT A BIKE, no dude, come on, its been in the game forever and the first thing people thought of when they saw the roller beetle mount for the first time, was oh man it would be cool to have that charr car/bike skin.

@"J envy.5270" said:

bro the Charr Car has been in the game in 2012, its been parked in black citadel, show in core gw2 story in Orr, and used in WvW since desert bordelands came out with HoT expansion, people won't recommend it for the sake of HEY I WANT A BIKE, no dude, come on, its been in the game forever and the first thing people thought of when they saw the roller beetle mount for the first time, was oh man it would be cool to have that charr car/bike skin.

Umm, wrong gender ....

Anyway though, charrs with clunky machines work as well as asurans with magitech. Especially since they are not everywhere. The problem is in a motorcycle (or most machines really) from our world being in an RPG, not the bike itself. If you dropped in a harley or a Ducati it would just be plain wrong for an RPG. Wow does that but GW2 does not.