Re-enable PvP badges in WvW

Malfrador.3615

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:I was quite proud to not have a pvp square while literally everyone else walked around with a participation trophy ..

Of course, when I was a kid participation awards were a bad thing <,<

Lemme just say if they let those show again, I'll break out the rabbit finisher again.

Got so many rage whispers with that.

What's wrong with the rabbit finisher?

@"sephiroth.4217" said:Yea, no...I'm all for the allies seeing it but WvW was boring as hell as a roamer running around as "Mithril Knight" rocking a Platinum/Gold badge - Just about everyone would port away before you even got close.

The badge would get you some caution from me, but coming from doing mostly spvp, and now starting to do a bit more wvw roaming, it seems like quite a few people earned their wvw ranks in the zerg, so not a good measure of duelling skill.

Regarding the talk about making own "WvW badges". How would they (ANet) do that ? Consider how many different playstyles we got in WvW, any one metric used for a WvW badge would become silly.

• Scout
  • Roamer
  • Dueler
  • Zerger
  • Havoc

We would at the very least need multiple different types of badges, because I don't think a single one badge could encompass all of that, and if it did, it would be meaningless as it would be so easy to get that every AFK PIP farmed would have top medals anyways. Thus completely devaluing the point anyways.

@Faffin.6741 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:Yea, no...I'm all for the allies seeing it but WvW was boring as hell as a roamer running around as "Mithril Knight" rocking a Platinum/Gold badge - Just about everyone would port away before you even got close.

The badge would get you some caution from me, but coming from doing mostly spvp, and now starting to do a bit more wvw roaming, it seems like quite a few people earned their wvw ranks in the zerg, so not a good measure of duelling skill.

you can have a much higher wxp gain by not zerging... just kill a few guards at a tower and gain the xp half hour later once the zerg flips it, in the mean time you can flip about 5 or 6 camps and 10 sentries all while getting some decent fights in....

@"joneirikb.7506" said:Regarding the talk about making own "WvW badges". How would they (ANet) do that ? Consider how many different playstyles we got in WvW, any one metric used for a WvW badge would become silly.

• Scout
  • Roamer
  • Dueler
  • Zerger
  • Havoc

We would at the very least need multiple different types of badges, because I don't think a single one badge could encompass all of that, and if it did, it would be meaningless as it would be so easy to get that every AFK PIP farmed would have top medals anyways. Thus completely devaluing the point anyways.

Sooo... basicly just tag zerger, then solo roam on a shatter mesmer or gank thief and laugh?

PvP badges being in WvW would add nothing to the WvW gamemode itself. Thus they have no place being in WvW in my opinion.

As for having WvW badges in WvW I don't think that's a good idea since there are a lot of parts to play in WvW. You can be a zergling, roamer, scout, etc etc. I can just see some zergling who's gotten a lot of ranks from blobbing around for a fancy badge to then try roaming and get owned by a much lower rank and less shiny badge player. They can obviously not lose to a much lower rank player so that player must be hacking!

Different badges for different roles? Not possible, how will the game figure out what you are doing at a given moment?

@Faffin.6741 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:I was quite proud to not have a pvp square while literally everyone else walked around with a participation trophy ..

Lemme just say if they let those show again, I'll break out the rabbit finisher again.

The 'cool kids' in PvP I guess look at it as an insult that they get stomped by the lowest ranked finisher from PvP.

More likely it was the people from PvP who THINK they're good, but actually get rekt by the actual good PvP players.

@LaGranse.8652 said:Different badges for different roles? Not possible, how will the game figure out what you are doing at a given moment?in you telling the game.if you can only show one badge then you can just swap between badge types depending on what you do and get progress for your actions related to that badge.if you roam on a zerg badge, well thats up to you. little tools to manipulate your opponent :3

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

The 'cool kids' in PvP I guess look at it as an insult that they get stomped by the lowest ranked finisher from PvP.

More likely it was the people from PvP who THINK they're good, but actually get rekt by the actual good PvP players.

Gw2 design theme is very all-inclusive. Hard to have a progression system that isn't simply time based, no player left behind

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"LaGranse.8652" said:Different badges for different roles? Not possible, how will the game figure out what you are doing at a given moment?in you telling the game.if you can only show one badge then you can just swap between badge types depending on what you do and get progress for your actions related to that badge.if you roam on a zerg badge, well thats up to you. little tools to manipulate your opponent :3

How will the game know you did not select "I am roaming" and then ran with a zerg the whole evening. Look at all the kills and captures they got, must be an awesome roamer let's give them a very shiny badge.

It's not a good idea to trust the game client to much in any client <-> server communication.

@LaGranse.8652 said:

@LaGranse.8652 said:Different badges for different roles? Not possible, how will the game figure out what you are doing at a given moment?in you telling the game.if you can only show one badge then you can just swap between badge types depending on what you do and get progress for your actions related to that badge.if you roam on a zerg badge, well thats up to you. little tools to manipulate your opponent :3

How will the game know you did not select "I am roaming" and then ran with a zerg the whole evening. Look at all the kills and captures they got, must be an awesome roamer let's give them a very shiny badge.

It's not a good idea to trust the game client to much in any client <-> server communication.

that depends on what you need to contribute to 'awesome roamer badge'. if you need to get a ton of stomps without going down yourself, thats not something you would do in a zerg.and yes i am aware that you can manipulate it with stomptrading, like you can manipulate anything. i can aswell make a new account put on tons of gear and kill farm people while having below 1k achievement points and a rank of 'hey i am new, why do you hit me?'. that doesnt mean there should be no achievementpoints and no rank only because i can pretend to not have it.

Why would you want a reminder of those who ktrained in EotM pretending like most of them deserve it? WvW badges should represent the fights, the strategies, the hard work, and the respect that comes with doing what is intended with WvW and ktraining isnt one that most find respectful in WvW. Everyone knows this can be manipulated, thus making these badges almost as useless as those in PvP. Sure many people are legit with their badges, however as long as some people cheat to get them, their value lowers considerably outside your friends/guildies.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Why would you want a reminder of those who ktrained in EotM pretending like most of them deserve it? WvW badges should represent the fights, the strategies, the hard work, and the respect that comes with doing what is intended with WvW and ktraining isnt one that most find respectful in WvW. Everyone knows this can be manipulated, thus making these badges almost as useless as those in PvP. Sure many people are legit with their badges, however as long as some people cheat to get them, their value lowers considerably outside your friends/guildies.

I prefer to just have the option to hide my rank please.

Tbh i hope ANet have more interesting things to do (and balance) than add another cosmetic matter.But if you really have a strong need to show your e-penis,then i won't say no.It's always funny to stomp plat+ players and show them their place in the world.

Also,there are other things that show you have some "PvP experience".Legendary wings or Legend titles,both usable in WvW.Just use them,maybe someone will actually care (I personally use both,but just because they're aesthetic).

@Celsith.2753 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Why would you want a reminder of those who ktrained in EotM pretending like most of them deserve it? WvW badges should represent the fights, the strategies, the hard work, and the respect that comes with doing what is intended with WvW and ktraining isnt one that most find respectful in WvW. Everyone knows this can be manipulated, thus making these badges almost as useless as those in PvP. Sure many people are legit with their badges, however as long as some people cheat to get them, their value lowers considerably outside your friends/guildies.

I prefer to just have the option to hide my rank please.

But then how can I feel good not knowing the rank when I beat someone. /sarcasm

Actually when it comes to rank, if its low enough I dont bother with you unless you you actively attack me.

Archived