Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@Rauderi.8706 said:Not to burn the messenger for what she's currently allowed to say, but there should be someone at ANet in constant liaise with KFT's marketing and forwarding updates through community management.

There would be, but the problem is, ArenaNet would be waiting on KFT for a response who would be waiting on popdeem to fix the app. A small time app developer could take weeks to fix it if it's not their top priority, and I doubt KFT would care to make it one. The sweepstakes is where the advertising is, while the free codes is just a burden to them. Why would they want to spend money to fix a problem when it's only because of this limited promotion? I wouldn't be surprised if KFT just drags it on until the end. Even if they do start it back up, it'll likely be just as bad as it was, because as long as they're giving away the heroic edition, it's going to be heavily exploited.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:By the way if any EU players are curious I double checked this morning and there is no special process or wording to get your data deleted under GDPR. You just have to request it verbally or in writing. Since it seems we're no longer eligible to participate and allegedly never were I didn't see any reason to let KFT keep whatever information they might have on me, so I sent them this email earlier today:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

On Monday 3rd September 2018 I registered for and participated in your online cross-promotion with Arenanet to obtain Guild Wars 2 items. As part of this I linked my Facebook account to your app and granted permission for you to access information on Facebook.

I now understand that this was done under false pretences as it was not made clear to me at any point in the process that as a non-US resident I am not eligible to participate in this promotion and that I should not have expected to receive any items from it.

However as an EU citizen my data is covered by the new General Data Protection Regulations, which includes the 'right to erasure' - for consent to be removed at any time and data obtained under consent to be deleted. I wish to evoke this right now and therefore ask that you delete all data you hold related to this email address or my (Real Name) Facebook account.

Please confirm to me that this has been done.

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

I'll update if/when I get a reply.

(I'd already unlinked my Facebook account and the KFT app, via both Facebook and the app, deleted my social profile on the app and then deleted the app.)

Yes, I’ve already done that.I got some bull reply basically saying they’ve deactivated the account on their end and removed me from mailing lists. No mention of my data being expunged from them.

What email address did you write too?

@Plautze.6290 said:I really, really hope that something will happen from ANet's side, because otherwise they are literally duping all of us non-US players.And if that's the case... I can only say 'GG, ANet. If you don't value your non-US players, maybe another company does?'.And before some of you say 'Dude, it's just a T-shirt.' - I know, and it's not about this shirt. I'll probably never wear it (or that profane armor) anyway. This is about feeling like second class despite non-US players representing a fair part of GW2's whole playerbase.

Exactly. I do really like the product, but if the company behind a product constantly takes me for granted, and even spits in my face, you can bet they will not be receiving my patronage in the future.

@NicholaLord.2630 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:By the way if any EU players are curious I double checked this morning and there is no special process or wording to get your data deleted under GDPR. You just have to request it verbally or in writing. Since it seems we're no longer eligible to participate and allegedly never were I didn't see any reason to let KFT keep whatever information they might have on me, so I sent them this email earlier today:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

On Monday 3rd September 2018 I registered for and participated in your online cross-promotion with Arenanet to obtain Guild Wars 2 items. As part of this I linked my Facebook account to your app and granted permission for you to access information on Facebook.

I now understand that this was done under false pretences as it was not made clear to me at any point in the process that as a non-US resident I am not eligible to participate in this promotion and that I should not have expected to receive any items from it.

However as an EU citizen my data is covered by the new General Data Protection Regulations, which includes the 'right to erasure' - for consent to be removed at any time and data obtained under consent to be deleted. I wish to evoke this right now and therefore ask that you delete all data you hold related to this email address or my (Real Name) Facebook account.

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

(I'd already unlinked my Facebook account and the KFT app, via both Facebook and the app, deleted my social profile on the app and then deleted the app.)

Yes, I’ve already done that.I got some bull reply basically saying they’ve deactivated the account on their end and removed me from mailing lists. No mention of my data being expunged from them.

I sent my email to info@kfteausa.com which is the email listed under 'contact us' on their website.

Honestly, for how small Kung Fu Tea is....this is an extremely small prize that was given a crazy amount of press.

World of Warcraft frequently gives out copies of their latest expansion, newly released graphics cards, and gaming equipment just for being in their official discord.

Black Desert Online has given away a couple of Alienware computers and almost monthly gives away $45 worth of in-game store perks as competition prizes.

:\

I keep going between feeling annoyed at KFT and feeling sorry for them because they're obviously a very new, small company with very little experience operating online or dealing with an international audience...it just sounds like they didn't have a clue what they were getting themselves in for and had no idea how to handle it once the problems started.

When this was first announced I thought maybe some people at Anet know some of the KFT staff and they decided to do this as a way to help each other out (it seemed like a likely way to explain what's otherwise a pretty random tie-in). Now I'm kind of hoping that's not the case and it was purely a commercial venture - KFT buying promo materials from Anet so they can use them to promote their business to a new audience - because I'd hate to think someone trying to do a friend a favour ended up with this much of a mess and negative publicity for both companies.

Edit: Just noticed that the banner at the top of their website explaining that the GW2 promo isn't working right now is partially covered by the logo and when I clicked on it expecting to get more information, or at least a link to whatever the latest update is, I was instead taken to their merchandise page. So now I'm definitely learning more towards feeling annoyed than sorry for them.

@"Menadena.7482" said:I do remember someone saying early on the codes were only valid for an hour. Could that be at play? If they were using time-limited codes that would also present more problems given how much chaos and lag was going on, you might get an expired code or a code that did so soon after you got it. I am not sure if that was correct information though or someone just receiving an invalid code.The promotion states: "MUST REDEEM DLC CODES BY 10/31/2018 ", so that 1 hour (or very short) validity is clearly not the issue. Unless that end of October date is another mistake. Wouldn't be the first.

With Anet seemingly not wanting any more involvement in this it just feels like KFT somehow acquired a load of dodgy codes from a shifty scam key reseller so they could offer them to fish for peoples data to sell on to hackers, and somehow roped Anet into promoting it for them. (obviously not saying that's the case, only that's what it feels like).

I'm curious with this sudden switch of excluding non US based customers, what happens to those codes issued to non-US customers before the change? Surely if those heroic codes remain active then its unfair to suddenly exclude the rest of the non-US customers who either were waiting for things to work properly, or waiting to see if any data given to KFT would actually be safe (which it evidently is not).

At this point I'm unlikely to participate in the promo as there is no way I want anything to do with KFT, but I am still interested to know what exactly happens with non-US players. Either Anet will presumably have to deactivate codes given to non-US players in the first 5 days (unfair), or let them keep them and just say to the rest of the non-US players 'You won't get the codes, we're penalising you for being cautious and taking your time before deciding to hand your data over' (also unfair).

@Menadena.7482 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

Considering they don't normally operate in the EU, seemed unaware that unless an app is region locked it's accessible world-wide and this promotion generally reminds me of a certain phrase about arranging a 'celebration' in a brewery I doubt they've even heard of GDPR before or have any knowledge of the requirements or the fact that it does apply to them even if they're a US based company. But I'm considering this the first step in the process and will follow up if necessary.

That would fit with the MO. When I was browsing around for soy/nut milk at KFT yesterday their responses seemed to indicate they thought lactaid was a viable alternative (which is still dairy milk).

being vegan is silly anyway, humans are omnivores

Umm, I think we are getting a bit off the subject? I was looking as a promotion that uses social media, phone apps, and games just MAYBE is meant to appeal to a younger crowd .... which has a lot of vegans.

a lot of vegans? I do not know any vegans in real life, I only know that they exist from hearsay. In germany they only make up for like 1% of the population and I doubt it is more in the US. Hardly worth catering to

If you really want to discuss veganism please do it in messaging as we are off topic however I will reply to one more thing. It only takes
person with a different diet in a party to say 'I can not get anything here, lets go somewhere else'. Restaurants know this so often have a token vegan item on the menu (or a way to veganize something, like having one of your bottles of milk be nondairy).

What does this have to do with anything? It shows that kft is a bit out of touch with the realities of markets they are dealing with. Not being privy to the contract details observing how they deal with other industry norms tells us a lot. I would would not be surprised if it just did not occur to them other people beyond the US could use computers and social media. Or if they did and nobody had ever told them that erasing your tracks on the internet is impossible. In which case anet's sole problem is not vetting a partner.

You started the discussion by complaining about the lack of vegan options in Kung Fu Tea's assortment. I say they have bigger worries than catering to a 1% minority

@killermanjaro.5670 said:With Anet seemingly not wanting any more involvement in this it just feels like KFT somehow acquired a load of dodgy codes from a shifty scam key reseller so they could offer them to fish for peoples data to sell on to hackers, and somehow roped Anet into promoting it for them. (obviously not saying that's the case, only that's what it feels like).

I'm curious with this sudden switch of excluding non US based customers, what happens to those codes issued to non-US customers before the change? Surely if those heroic codes remain active then its unfair to suddenly exclude the rest of the non-US customers who either were waiting for things to work properly, or waiting to see if any data given to KFT would actually be safe (which it evidently is not).

At this point I'm unlikely to participate in the promo as there is no way I want anything to do with KFT, but I am still interested to know what exactly happens with non-US players. Either Anet will presumably have to deactivate codes given to non-US players in the first 5 days (unfair), or let them keep them and just say to the rest of the non-US players 'You won't get the codes, we're penalising you for being cautious and taking your time before deciding to hand your data over' (also unfair).

Anet DO want to be involved in this promotion. The Kung Fu Tea website is still proudly displaying the fact that they are partnered with Anet. This is the same Kung Fu Tea that is - one week later - still not answering emails. Meanwhile, Anet's (Kung Fu Tea's partner in this endeavour, remember) response is that we have to contact Kung Fu Tea.I certainly hope KFT is not using Anet's trademarked logos without their permission.

@Nash.3974 said:

@fatihso.7258 said:When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

Here's a few question properly addressed to you:

If so, How and why did the promotion details end up in GW2 the launcher for EU players and why did no one at Anet anticipate the inevitable negative reaction ?

Are you unable to read? Gaile explained how the launcher is language based and not location based. Everyone has the same launcher and it was translated into all languages because first of all the US has no official language and because all languages are always supported because why wouldn’t I be able to read the promotion in french (even though I live in the US) when I always play in French.

Doesnt change the fact that it wasnt advertised as US only. I checked it back then. And no, in times of the internet and since the app is available to ALL, not only US residents, this is NOT in any way a logical conclusion. The exclusion of what... over 60% of their playerbase from a promotion advertised in the launcher accessible to all, thats just plain stupid and the only logical conclusion to that is actually this thread.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@fatihso.7258 said:When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

Yes, we asked Kung Fu but they dont respond and keep up their app while linked social media accounts are being hacked.

You (Anet) is a partner of this cross promotion and it sure would help if you would have asked them what the hell is going on with their app comprimising the accounts of your player base.

@Wanze.8410 said:

Yes, we asked Kung Fu but they dont respond and keep up their app while linked social media accounts are being hacked.

You (Anet) is a partner of this cross promotion and it sure would help if you would have asked them what the hell is going on with their app comprimising the accounts of your player base.

I think you probably realize that ANet is having trouble getting answers, too.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

I think you probably realize that ANet is having trouble getting answers, too.

If thats the case, they should get an injunction against KFT to take down any promotional material for this from their website and have their legal team give some advice to their player base.

@Nash.3974 said:

@Etria.3642 said:Not to mention but plenty of us US folks linked accounts and received nothing so far. We would like answers too!

They said they paused the promotion if you kept linking your accounts then it’s your fault because it’s been mentioned over and over again that it’s paused atm.

I linked my account before the promotion was paused and it took me about three days of trying. How on earth is this my fault for wanting answers?

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

can you comment on why the codes have been deactivated that were given out? I have a key that isnt working that I received through the app. it is no longer valid and i have heard from others the same!With all that we did see going wrong, like people getting multiple codes (lots of them in some cases), it wouldn't surprise me if they gave out some codes to multiple people, so only the first person to use them got something out of them. Just guessing though.

No they were not double given. They all are deactivated. I want to know why.

Interesting .... how do you know they were not double given? Or that they worked in the first place?

edit: BTW, I am serious, I studied philosophy, physics, and rounded it out with comp sci. It sounds like proving a negative is involved so lost how any proof would work since applying the code to see if it worked would make it not work in the future.

This is true. I can't prove they were double given. I've talked to about 10 people who have codes still. Not just duplicate. Some just have one. None of them work. I messaged a seller on eBay and explained I just wanted to know if this was an isolated event. After the auction ended he told me he had to refund due to the codes not working. He tried multiple from multiple kft accounts (I don't condone this but it helped me realize all codes are deactivated.)

Yet they continue to ignore us who ask that question.. So arena net. Did you or didn't you deactivate all codes now?

@Nash.3974 said:

@"fatihso.7258" said:When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

Here's a few question properly addressed to you:

If so, How and why did the promotion details end up in GW2 the launcher for EU players and why did no one at Anet anticipate the inevitable negative reaction ?

Are you unable to read? Gaile explained how the launcher is language based and not location based. Everyone has the same launcher and it was translated into all languages because first of all the US has no official language and because all languages are always supported because why wouldn’t I be able to read the promotion in french (even though I live in the US) when I always play in French.

I'll restate the question slightly for you: "If so, How and why did the promotion details end up in GW2 the launcher which is language based and therefore not applicable to all English speaking players and why did no one at Anet anticipate the inevitable negative reaction ?"

@MaxRunes.8695 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

can you comment on why the codes have been deactivated that were given out? I have a key that isnt working that I received through the app. it is no longer valid and i have heard from others the same!With all that we did see going wrong, like people getting multiple codes (lots of them in some cases), it wouldn't surprise me if they gave out some codes to multiple people, so only the first person to use them got something out of them. Just guessing though.

No they were not double given. They all are deactivated. I want to know why.

Interesting .... how do you know they were not double given? Or that they worked in the first place?

edit: BTW, I am serious, I studied philosophy, physics, and rounded it out with comp sci. It sounds like proving a negative is involved so lost how any proof would work since applying the code to see if it worked would make it not work in the future.

This is true. I can't prove they were double given. I've talked to about 10 people who have codes still. Not just duplicate. Some just have one. None of them work. I messaged a seller on eBay and explained I just wanted to know if this was an isolated event. After the auction ended he told me he had to refund due to the codes not working. He tried multiple from multiple kft accounts (I don't condone this but it helped me realize all codes are deactivated.)

Yet they continue to ignore us who ask that question.. So arena net. Did you or didn't you deactivate all codes now?

I wonder if KFT thought they could just buy a handful of codes and their code kept sending the same ones out again? Not everyone posts here so it could be some people got it to work. I remember aways back people talking about getting guild influence because they already had a paid account.

I am curious how all of this will play out. Clearly this promotion is WAY beyond what kft thought it would cost (the only way it works is if they pay for the codes with or without a discount).

I'm guessing the outfit has been discontinued entirely? (Anet should just give it out to everyone or make it a short quest or something in game)Also, that the deluxe edition game code now requires a KFT purchase, a photo of said purchase, and even then it's only for one random winner per day.Is this correct as that's what I'm reading now on the app?

So how many scammed this, for how many accounts???

@DeWolfe.2174 said:I'm guessing the outfit has been discontinued entirely? (Anet should just give it out to everyone or make it a short quest or something in game)Also, that the deluxe edition game code now requires a KFT purchase, a photo of said purchase, and even then it's only for one random winner per day.Is this correct as that's what I'm reading now on the app?

The deluxe edition of the game was always a sweepstakes that required a purchase to enter. The heroic code was the free code offer, along with the outfit code.

@Danikat.8537 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

I sent my email to info@kfteausa.com which is the email listed under 'contact us' on their website.

I also emailed that address, but so far have not received a reply.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@DeWolfe.2174 said:I'm guessing the outfit has been discontinued entirely? (Anet should just give it out to everyone or make it a short quest or something in game)Also, that the deluxe edition game code now requires a KFT purchase, a photo of said purchase, and even then it's only for one random winner per day.Is this correct as that's what I'm reading now on the app?

The deluxe edition of the game was always a sweepstakes that required a purchase to enter.

It required a photograph of one of their products. People have successfully used other people's existing images.

I believe this was how they intended to comply with US laws that require there to be a no-purchase method of entering a sweepstakes. Of course, more experienced companies make people go through a few extra hoops to be in compliance and yet discourage people from trying.

Archived