Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@SatdeNecro.2395 said:I feel like I got scammed.

We all got scammed... at this point doesn't seem to be any kind of solution or compensation (I really hope I'm wrong with this).

Just by considering that they're ''trying to fix the issue'', by now it SHOULD have already been fixed, it's been over 2 weeks and we're going for the 3rd one now, how can that take so long... specially since KFT were the ones who disabled the promotion ''momentarily''.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

We all got scammed... at this point doesn't seem to be any kind of solution or compensation (I really hope I'm wrong with this).

Just by considering that they're ''trying to fix the issue'', by now it SHOULD have already been fixed, it's been over 2 weeks and we're going for the 3rd one now, how can that take so long... specially since KFT were the ones who disabled the promotion ''momentarily''.

If I were anet, I would be pissed over this, KFT is messing up bad and it's making them look bad as well. I know anet isn't entirely blameless since it is a joint promotion, but it's not like anet can or should fix KFT's servers and app for them. KFT was hosting the promotion, anet was only providing the things to be given away, they don't have control over the flawed app and they have no way of knowing what KFT is doing to fix it.

Should they have been more careful about who they agree to partner with for a promotion? Sure. But the majority of the anger and frustration should be directed to KFT, not anet.

@Synapse.7502 said:So, I don't really know what to do.

My girlfriend is a F2P player. I bought the game and the first expansion long ago when I had money from a job I'm no longer at.

I was hoping to get her an upgrade to heroic from this promotion, so as soon as it started I downloaded the app, and I got ready with an instagram account. I tried every day for the first few days to connect them and was never able to. I've been waiting ever since they shut it down.

I'm told some people actually had people hand them codes from this thread, which is crazy because I compare posting here to all the hours I spent trying to link accounts on the tea app....maybe I should have posted here way earlier when codes were flying around like hotcakes, you know?

Anyway, I hope this gets fixed soon. I want to get my girlfriend out of f2p land but we're stuck waiting.

I see new games on Amazon for under 20 bucks. I've bought most of my alts that way. Once I received a used one that was supposed to be new, so just returned it for refund and ordered a different one.

4 days of a semi-functional promotion and then 13 days of "we're working on fixing the issues" and just 13 days left to go. If they get it working today and it doesn't have the same issues as before there's a chance most people...sorry, most eligible Americans, should be able to get the codes. It sounds like the rest of the world is out of luck no matter what. If it's much later than today then even with precautions in place to stop it being overwhelmed with people deliberately trying to get multiple codes it's going to be difficult to get all the traffic through the app in time.

I guess the one consolation is it's hard to imagine realistic ways this could get any worse.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

If I were anet, I would be pissed over this, KFT is messing up bad and it's making them look bad as well. I know anet isn't entirely blameless since it is a joint promotion, but it's not like anet can or should fix KFT's servers and app for them. KFT was hosting the promotion, anet was only providing the things to be given away, they don't have control over the flawed app and they have no way of knowing what KFT is doing to fix it.

Should they have been more careful about who they agree to partner with for a promotion? Sure. But the majority of the anger and frustration should be directed to KFT, not anet.

Actually, what I typed was reffering to KFT instead of Anet, since they are the ones who disabled the promo, changed the terms and all that stuff.

But I agree also to what you said, the fault is shared between both companies but mostly from KFT... and is possible that they aren't doing much about this considering how long it's been taking to even get any news from KFT, and maybe they'll wait 'till last day to ''fix'' this and they'll still be excluding everyone in the world that's not resident of the US...

And again, I hope I'm wrong about this... whenever I feel so sure about something negative, it actually happens :s

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

Actually, what I typed was reffering to KFT instead of Anet, since they are the ones who disabled the promo, changed the terms and all that stuff.

But I agree also to what you said, the fault is shared between both companies but mostly from KFT... and is possible that they aren't doing much about this considering how long it's been taking to even get any news from KFT, and maybe they'll wait 'till last day to ''fix'' this and they'll still be excluding everyone in the world that's not resident of the US...

And again, I hope I'm wrong about this... whenever I feel so sure about something negative, it actually happens :s

I was agreeing with you lol Was just adding my own statements in support of the idea that KFT is the bigger issue in this mess.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Oh, I would guess anet is none to happy with kft right now. I doubt we will hear anything 'during' the promotion (if ever) though due to legal stuff though.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:For anyone interested, there's a new promotion with HyperX (see Twitter). You could win a Deluxe Path of Fire Serial Key, a keyboard and a mouse.

Good luck.

Still limited to US and Canada only, even though you can select your country from a multitude in a drop down list, and still gain entries. Is the GDPR really that intimidating?

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:For anyone interested, there's a new promotion with HyperX (see Twitter). You could win a Deluxe Path of Fire Serial Key, a keyboard and a mouse.

Good luck.

Still limited to US and Canada only, even though you can select your country from a multitude in a drop down list, and still gain entries. Is the GDPR really that intimidating?

No it just feel like we are not as important.

Good luck.

My trust in who ArenaNet affiliates themselves with for promotions after the KFT one has gone down the drain, as has my view of the company with how they've responded so far to the sudden change of the terms (note; I want to stress it's important to separate the company from its employees, I have only the highest respect and gratitude towards those who worked- and are working there that created this fantastic game that I have enjoyed for over 6 years), plus it's limited to US & Canada so I can't even enter if I were interested. At least ArenaNet & Kingston were clear on the region-locking from the very start here, so that's actually good to see. Kingston blames it being US & Canada only on the General Data Protection Regulation in tweets, which is cute, since the GDPR is there to protect your privacy and your right to have your data forgotten should you request it. I don't quite see why that should make it harder to hold a global giveaway, but I guess they need excuses when they can't own your private data and do with it as they please? Maybe I'm being unfair after getting angered over this mess with Kung Fu Tea though. The promotion does exclude the Asian markets too, as well as, e.g., Australia, which aren't exactly in Europe and under the protection of GDPR, so I maybe they just want to save money on shipping? :trollface: Can't say this helps in any way with how I view ArenaNet currently though.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Hey, what happened to the 'Views' count on this thread. Last time I noticed it was nearly 60K, and now only 3.7K???

Gaile created a new thread a few days ago to take the first post, then merged the old one into it, which caused it to be reset. The views were at 60384 minutes prior to the merger, so if you want the actual number, add this to that.

I'm still amazed that a huge gaming company would consider only its' US based player base. I mean, the rest of the world doesn't play your game? The rest of the world doesn't buy your game, and your merchandise? Maybe next time learn even from the 3rd hand games that, on the anniversary events, send people the gifts on the account - receive upon log in on the character you chose. Blizzard does it. Blue Hole does it. Even the god damned pay to win Perfect World Entertainment does it for all their games (i have around 20 mounts and tones of fashion only from the anniversary events in PWI). EVEN ELECTRONIC ARTS DOES IT!!! And we all know how EA goes with DLCs... And none of them ever needed a promotion with a different partner for that. AND most of them are US based and never had problem with the GDPR. Ijs...

@Ninn.3762 said:I'm still amazed that a huge gaming company would consider only its' US based player base. I mean, the rest of the world doesn't play your game? The rest of the world doesn't buy your game, and your merchandise? Maybe next time learn even from the 3rd hand games that, on the anniversary events, send people the gifts on the account - receive upon log in on the character you chose. Blizzard does it. Blue Hole does it. Even the god damned pay to win Perfect World Entertainment does it for all their games (i have around 20 mounts and tones of fashion only from the anniversary events in PWI). EVEN ELECTRONIC ARTS DOES IT!!! And we all know how EA goes with DLCs... And none of them ever needed a promotion with a different partner for that. AND most of them are US based and never had problem with the GDPR. Ijs...

I've had GW2 anniversary gifts mailed to my characters for six years straight. What is your point?

@Ninn.3762 said:I'm still amazed that a huge gaming company would consider only its' US based player base. I mean, the rest of the world doesn't play your game? The rest of the world doesn't buy your game, and your merchandise? Maybe next time learn even from the 3rd hand games that, on the anniversary events, send people the gifts on the account - receive upon log in on the character you chose. Blizzard does it. Blue Hole does it. Even the god damned pay to win Perfect World Entertainment does it for all their games (i have around 20 mounts and tones of fashion only from the anniversary events in PWI). EVEN ELECTRONIC ARTS DOES IT!!! And we all know how EA goes with DLCs... And none of them ever needed a promotion with a different partner for that. AND most of them are US based and never had problem with the GDPR. Ijs...

Considering Anet have also mailed items out to all players (or put them in the gem store for 0 gems) I think it's safe to assume they are fully aware they had that option and didn't partner with a random tea company because they didn't realise there was any other way of getting the item out to players.

But the point of this was not simply to give an item to GW2 players, even if that's the bit we care about. It's a cross-promotion. The purpose is joint promotion and advertising. KFT customers find out about GW2 by seeing the promotions and maybe picking up a code, and GW2 customers find out about KFT by downloading the app. None of which would happen if they just mailed it to people who already own and play GW2.

And if everything had gone to plan that would have worked. It's only because the app couldn't handle the traffic and the codes given proved to be a security risk (for Anet - they allowed gold sellers to create dozens or hundreds of accounts for free but without the Play-For-Free restrictions which are designed to stop them being used by gold sellers) that we've had all these problems.

As for changing the terms we still don't know at this point if that was Anet's intentions. When the promotion started there was no mention that it was restricted to US residents - that was only the in-store promotion, which was obviously restricted because you had to go into a shop and buy a drink. The restriction on the app promotion was added after it was 'paused' and KFT updated the announcements to say so. Some people have speculated that part of the delay is because Anet intended it to be worldwide and either were unaware of the restriction or that KFT changed it without telling them and now the two companies are trying to sort it out. (This would potentially be a breach of contract, which would explain their silence because they wouldn't be allowed to say anything until the legal issues have been resolved.) We don't know if that's the case of course but it seems plausible.

And if not...as much as it sucks for those of us in the rest of the world region exclusive promotions are also something a lot of companies do on a regular basis. It's annoying, but mainly because we weren't told that when it started and some people outside the US actually did manage to get codes. But there is nothing to say online promotions have to be open to everyone.

@Absconditus.6804 said:

I quite frankly don't trust ArenaNet's promotions after this anyways, plus it's limited to US & Canada so I can't even enter if I were interested. At least ArenaNet & Kingston were clear on the region-locking from the very start here, so that's actually good to see. Kingston blames it being US & Canada only on the General Data Protection Regulation in tweets, which is cute, since the GDPR is there to protect your privacy and your right to have your data forgotten should you request it. I don't quite see why that should make it harder to hold a global giveaway, but I guess they need excuses when they can't own your private data and do with it as they please?

It's always possible that taking in a lot of personal data and then having to erase it due to GDPR requests isn't something their systems are set up for yet. Also, announcing the winner of the contest is an expected part of the advertising. They may not want to have to go back and delete the name from announcements and the like if they're hit with a GDPR request.

@Absconditus.6804 said:Kingston blames it being US & Canada only on the General Data Protection Regulation in tweets, which is cute, since the GDPR is there to protect your privacy and your right to have your data forgotten should you request it. I don't quite see why that should make it harder to hold a global giveaway, but I guess they need excuses when they can't own your private data and do with it as they please?

Companies around the world are still adjusting to GDPR in Europe, and it can be an expensive endeavour. Not only do you need to acquire legal expertise on the subject, but you must ensure that your practices and processes, along with your technology, is able to meet the requirements. Even after acquiring such legal and tech support, you may need to retain them for the duration that the GDPR demands, furthering the expense.

The cost/benefit analysis for companies outside of Europe may not pan out (re: contests which exclude Quebec).

Archived