What should the next April Fools joke be?

Hordriss.1978

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:We’ve not had an ingame prank for April Fools since the Aviator prank, which hit a sore spot on some snowflakes, because of its timing. I doubt we’ll ever see one ingame again, but I always hope.

I thought it was the bobblehead fiasco which caused issues and stopped those, cause thats what did it for me, the motion sickness i had that day was freaking terrible.

No, the Aviator box was the last one. People made ANet apologize for having players pretend to be airplanes a week after a plane crash on the other side of the world, and that was Anet’s last April Fools prank.
  1. It wasn't "the other side of the world", it was in the middle of Europe, where a big portion (if not the majority) of GW2 players lives.
  2. The crash happened barely a week prior and was still in the news when suddenly everyone became a plane.

I understand that ANet planned the April Fools prank way in advance and had no way of preparing a different joke on such short notice, so I didn't criticise ANet at the time or say anything at all about the topic. Still, I can't deny that the joke left me with a sense of having witnessed some especially dark humor.

Imagine if instead of a plane ANet made everyone wear the cowboy outfit and changed all weapon skins for either guns or rifles a week after Columbine. Even if it was planned way ahead of the event, I'd rather have no joke than pulling through under the given circumstances.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:We’ve not had an ingame prank for April Fools since the Aviator prank, which hit a sore spot on some snowflakes, because of its timing. I doubt we’ll ever see one ingame again, but I always hope.

I thought it was the bobblehead fiasco which caused issues and stopped those, cause thats what did it for me, the motion sickness i had that day was freaking terrible.

No, the Aviator box was the last one. People made ANet apologize for having players pretend to be airplanes a week after a plane crash on the other side of the world, and that was Anet’s last April Fools prank.
  1. It wasn't "the other side of the world", it was in the middle of Europe, where a big portion (if not the majority) of GW2 players lives.
  2. The crash happened barely a week prior and was still in the news when suddenly everyone became a plane.

I understand that ANet planned the April Fools prank way in advance and had no way of preparing a different joke on such short notice, so I didn't criticise ANet at the time or say anything at all about the topic. Still, I can't deny that the joke left me with a sense of having witnessed some especially dark humor.

Imagine if instead of a plane ANet made everyone wear the cowboy outfit and changed all weapon skins for either guns or rifles a week after Columbine. Even if it was planned way ahead of the event, I'd rather have no joke than pulling through under the given circumstances.

It was literally on the other side of the world from Anet’s headquarters.

What some people fail to understand is that just because it hit the newspapers on their side of the world doesn’t mean it was in the newspapers on Anet’s side of the world. At best it probably got an article about it on that day and then maybe a mention on the back pages a day or two later. ANet staff in Europe didn’t know about the April fools joke and Anet’s staff in the US didn’t know about the crash.

What some people fail to understand is that just because it hit the newspapers on their side of the world doesn’t mean it was in the newspapers on Anet’s side of the world. At best it probably got an article about it on that day and then maybe a mention on the back pages a day or two later. ANet staff in Europe didn’t know about the April fools joke and Anet’s staff in the US didn’t know about the crash.

We seem to have to explain this every year, don't we JAFW?

Wait, there were 3 US Americans on board who died and it didn't dominate the news for at least one day? What kind of crisis were you dealing with?

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

Wait, there were 3 US Americans on board who died and it didn't dominate the news for at least one day? What kind of crisis were you dealing with?

3 Americans died in some plane crash somewhere in some far away land? That could have gotten a mention. Possibly there was an article in the newspaper and a mention on the 6 o’clock news, and then they moved on to more important local news. Or maybe they didn’t. I don’t recall hearing about it at all.

I know it made a big splash in your news but it simply didn’t in ours. I understand it was really relevant and topical in your side of the world but Europe, to Americans, is too far and distant from American concerns for things like that that happen over there to make an impact in our local news.

Even if it did get its 15 minutes of fame on the US side there wasn’t anything to make it stand out as being that important that ANet should change its April Fools joke a week later. When all is said and done on the US side it was one more sad story in an endless stream of sad stories.

Edit: it was a big deal in Europe because it happened in Europe and a number of Europeans died. If it had been the exact same crash but over in China where Chinese died, and also 3 Europeans, it wouldn’t have rated more than a mention in your news either.

I won't comment the crash. But this statement gives me an idea for an April joke: A statement from Anet that all the departments involved in the selling, maintenance, development of GW2 will inform each other for any change they plan. And that change will become effective after all the other departments will acknowledge the change and confirm that they changed the own activity accordingly.This statement should be followed few hours later by another one stating that no one was informed of this and the announcement will be deleted.

My suggestion: legendary weapon and armour skins are replaced with those of starter weapons and armour. And vice versa.

Seriously, though, the bobblehead and aeroplane April Fools jokes just sound annoying to me. I didn't log in on either of those days, but if I had, I would probably have logged out again pretty quickly. To me, the spoof patch notes are much better because they don't affect my ability to play the game.

Archived