Superior Buried Treasure: More Valuable Than We Thought (Data & Farming)

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:Too bad. I have tons of the maps and had hoped that this was an actual 15g per hour option. If I would need to set aside two hours and twenty minutes for the game in order to make the one hour rate its not going to work for me. 15g return from setting aside nearly two and half hours of my day is a pretty low return.

Thank you for the initial heads up, and the answers, anyway.

You only need to set aside 70+ minutes; it's just that it's not continuous minutes. This isn't any different from doing world boss events: you do the ones that coincide with your schedule. This one would substitute for AB meta in the rotation.

I don't have good data on the value of the ordinary buried treasures. They might be worth farming. In fact, since my minimum value doesn't depend on 'lucky' drops, it's possible that they are also worth close to 20s each. If that's true (and again, I have no data one way or the other), then you can do that at any time.

I know that they are others with differing schedules than myself but I would need to be able to be at my computer over the course of a period of two and a half hours in order to earn the one hour rate described. I will stick with farms where I can set aside one hour of my day to achieve my per hour return. rather than two and a half hours for the same rate.

No, you do NOT need to sit at your computer for 2 and half hours to equal the 1 hour rate described. Let me give you an example of how it would work, you do the first event at 1pm, it takes 20 minutes then you log off when it's finished a do something else, at 3 pm you log back on and do it a second time, rinse and repeat at 5 pm, now you've done the event for 1 hour, without sitting at your computer for 4 and half hours. Now do you understand the math?

Personally I keep forgetting to do this event, even though I have over a 1000 Treasure Maps.

It's listed on the Wiki's event timer page, along with all the metas and other stuff, so if you're just looking for a way to earn gold quickly when you log in you could check that page and do Buried Treasure if it's starting soon or something else if not.

I know that would work better for me since I'm generally terrible at planning to start things at a fixed time, something else always comes up. (Not just with games - I feel like I spend 1/2 my time at work trying to cut conversations short because I'm supposed to be in a meeting or something.) Although if I really want to do something I'll use the timers page to plan ahead - for example if I want to do Dragon's Stand I'll check the start times the day before and pick one which is likely to be convenient for me. I've never worried that much about buried treasure, but I could do the same.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:Too bad. I have tons of the maps and had hoped that this was an actual 15g per hour option. If I would need to set aside two hours and twenty minutes for the game in order to make the one hour rate its not going to work for me. 15g return from setting aside nearly two and half hours of my day is a pretty low return.

Thank you for the initial heads up, and the answers, anyway.

You only need to set aside 70+ minutes; it's just that it's not continuous minutes. This isn't any different from doing world boss events: you do the ones that coincide with your schedule. This one would substitute for AB meta in the rotation.

I don't have good data on the value of the ordinary buried treasures. They might be worth farming. In fact, since my minimum value doesn't depend on 'lucky' drops, it's possible that they are also worth close to 20s each. If that's true (and again, I have no data one way or the other), then you can do that at any time.

I know that they are others with differing schedules than myself but I would need to be able to be at my computer over the course of a period of two and a half hours in order to earn the one hour rate described. I will stick with farms where I can set aside one hour of my day to achieve my per hour return. rather than two and a half hours for the same rate.

No, you do NOT need to sit at your computer for 2 and half hours to equal the 1 hour rate described. Let me give you an example of how it would work, you do the first event at 1pm, it takes 20 minutes then you log off when it's finished a do something else, at 3 pm you log back on and do it a second time, rinse and repeat at 5 pm, now you've done the event for 1 hour, without sitting at your computer for 4 and half hours. Now do you understand the math?

Personally I keep forgetting to do this event, even though I have over a 1000 Treasure Maps.

It's listed on the Wiki's
, along with all the metas and other stuff, so if you're just looking for a way to earn gold quickly when you log in you could check that page and do Buried Treasure if it's starting soon or something else if not.

I know that would work better for me since I'm generally terrible at planning to start things at a fixed time, something else always comes up. (Not just with games - I feel like I spend 1/2 my time at work trying to cut conversations short because I'm supposed to be in a meeting or something.) Although if I really want to do something I'll use the timers page to plan ahead - for example if I want to do Dragon's Stand I'll check the start times the day before and pick one which is likely to be convenient for me. I've never worried that much about buried treasure, but I could do the same.

If is REALLY need some stuff done I usually set labeled alarms on my phone. Usually for collections.

The buried treasures doesn't really look worth it to me but I wouldn't do it more than once a day anyway. A Palawadan run would give around the same with much less effort.

@Abelisk.4527 said:You also earn trade contracts which can be exchanged into crates at the camp heart in Crystal Oasis, granted you have karma!

True. I didn't mention it because if that's the primary goal, then simply farming the Tomb of Primeval Kings is easier (and faster if you have multiple characters to do it).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:You also earn trade contracts which can be exchanged into crates at the camp heart in Crystal Oasis, granted you have karma!

True. I didn't mention it because if that's the primary goal, then simply farming the Tomb of Primeval Kings is easier (and faster if you have multiple characters to do it).

Good point. Still, it's a nice bonus to the rest of the items you receive.

• Avoid horrid locations like Prophet's Fall or Sunderlands by using [F12] to exit the map and reset (you map isn't spent, although many of us have way too many to care).I never knew that. Next time I have time to try it again, I'll have to remember that. I just did a treasure run yesterday, and ended up with 2 treasures in Prophet's Fall which probably cost me at least 5 to 6 minutes out of the 20 minute event. Despite that, I still managed to nab 13 superior treasures. However, my luck was wretched as usual, and I got terrible drops from them. No Intact Mosaics or other special drops. Just trade contracts, common/uncommon gear bags and cheap mats that weren't worth much. Lousy loot like that is what prevents me from coming back to try it more often.

The problem is that as they keep adding new events and new maps, it is almost certain some event will overlap with some other event. There are enough events now that you could probably hop from event to event to event - the problem is that for some events, you need to get to the map early for it to be populate enough. So you still end up waiting around for 5-10 minutes.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been said that the music box drops from these, but where's the original source for that? I've googled reddit posts searching to see thr originator of player or a dev saying a music box drops from them, but didn't see anything. Already saving these up, might do a big opening when I get a 1000.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Personally I keep forgetting to do this event, even though I have over a 1000 Treasure Maps.

The event running 20 minutes every two hours is probably why. . .

I have fun with it once in a rare while, but it's too much "wait to have fun" to be useful.

-

Though, @Illconceived Was Na.9781 to clarify something, is it possible for others to see your chests and open them? This could make for a fun guild activity.

@"CrimsonReaper.8401" said:I know it's been said that the music box drops from these, but where's the original source for that? I've googled reddit posts searching to see thr originator of player or a dev saying a music box drops from them, but didn't see anything. Already saving these up, might do a big opening when I get a 1000.

Here's a page with a statement about acquiring a Music Box: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Hafez%27s_Music_Box&action=history

The other Wiki pages have links to YouTube videos, and other statements (Check each Music Box's history page). https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Music_box

Good luck.

is it possible for others to see your chests and open them? This could make for a fun guild activity.@"Rauderi.8706" yes. All available locations are the same for everyone.

The advantage of solo is you can swap maps quickly to re-ping for something more convenient. The advantage of a larger group is that you're likely to have someone's ping closer. I'd recommend voice plus a strong commander. Since the event doesn't last long, you want people to make the most of their time (i.e. it's a no skritt guild activity ... anyone chasing after that "one more node" can slow the group down).

is it possible for others to see your chests and open them? This could make for a fun guild activity.@"Rauderi.8706" yes. All available locations are the same for everyone.

The advantage of solo is you can swap maps quickly to re-ping for something more convenient. The advantage of a larger group is that you're likely to have
someone's
ping closer. I'd recommend voice plus a strong commander. Since the event doesn't last long, you want people to make the most of their time (i.e. it's a no skritt guild activity ... anyone chasing after that "one more node" can slow the group down).

Another advantage to group farming is that you can take out the mobs that are at the spawn points. Some of the spawns are just too hard to go to solo (like, that valley where all the hydras are). With even two players, they become much easier and less time-consuming.

Rauderi, I think this would be an EXCELLENT guild activity. So much so that I'm going to propose it to my guild.

I was able to get 7 during the event just now. I could have gotten one more, but ran out of time.

NOTE: Three of them were in the same quadrant of the map, so that helped a lot. But, they were solo, so ….

Your tips helped a lot, Illconceived. I'll be doing this a lot more often.

One thing I noticed, that you mentioned, but perhaps not clearly enough: you do not lose your Treasure Hunting Kit until you actually use it to dig up treasure. This means (as you mentioned) that you can re-zone without losing it. Also, it means you won't lose it if the clock runs out.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"CrimsonReaper.8401" said:I know it's been said that the music box drops from these, but where's the original source for that? I've googled reddit posts searching to see thr originator of player or a dev saying a music box drops from them, but didn't see anything. Already saving these up, might do a big opening when I get a 1000.

Here's a page with a statement about acquiring a Music Box:

The other Wiki pages have links to YouTube videos, and other statements (Check each Music Box's history page).

Good luck.

Okay thanks, I see it under it's history section. Knew about that discussion tab, just didn't know about the history tab.Anyways, hopefully this will help me get one. Hopefully box three drops soon. Would be cool if it dropped from these.

• 3 weeks later...

@"Etria.3642" said:I've gotten addicted to this event, but now my problem is a lack of the kits. I know, I know, I /never/ thought I'd run out but I have yet to get my music box. What's the best source of these?

Maybe buying from Elisa. My memory is that the chests in the Tomb of Primeval Kings drops them, although the wiki article doesn't mention that.

You can probably take those legion spy kits with you if you're unable to stealth yourself easily. I can average 12-15 every run on my Ranger without any stealth. It's also MUCH easier if you rebind your Griffon/Raptor/Jackal mounts to something on your keyboard or mouse. I can usually dismount, pick up the chest, and quickly remount before a mob attacks me. Griffon helps when you're near ledges, Raptor helps on flatter ground, and Jackal helps with dodging multiple enemies.

I think quickness is irrelevant because the pickup is instant. Maybe helps in situations where you're spamming skills to get away, and they have long cast times.

I love doing these from time to time :) it's free profit and fills in some parts of my day

@"Etria.3642" said:I've gotten addicted to this event, but now my problem is a lack of the kits. I know, I know, I /never/ thought I'd run out but I have yet to get my music box. What's the best source of these?

Maybe buying from
. My memory is that the chests in the Tomb of Primeval Kings drops them, although the wiki article doesn't mention that.

I think that has to do with the kit itself. It seems to drop from almost everything in POF and may be more inherent to the content of the zones rather than the specific chests. Not to sure, though.But I've been getting kits from almost anything and everything in Elona. Sometimes more commonly than others

Archived