Add duels + "disable duels" option

Aodlop.1907

The second they add Open World Dueling / PvPing is when I uninstall a game world that I have played for over 10 yrs. It's one of the things that keeps me playing Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.Been playing games since the old BBS days and just no to Open World Dueling / PvPing. Too much harassment going on with Open World Dueling / PvPing for me.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can already duel in game as far as I'm aware.

Using pvp skills: Use a custom arena from the pvp browser. Make sure you and a friend enter different teams.Using pve skills: If not mistaking you can do exact same thing as above in the guild hall arena.

Open world pvp = WvW.

I personally wouldn't like to see pvp taken into the regular pve open world.

@Heraldusluminare.2946 said:

@"Aodlop.1907" said:There's no reason not to do it.If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.It really is overcomplicated to duel in this game.

Not a dev, but I guess this shouldn't be too hard to implement?Actually, it seems it actually
would
be, for a multitude of reasons that have been mentioned in many such threads before. The main mechanical problem would be how the "friend/enemy/neutral" difference is coded in (and how it's not really susceptible to easy modifications).

Too much work for no gain (most players aren't actually interested in pvp, and most of those that are play pvp modes, which leaves this mainly for trolls and griefers and perhaps few more people at best.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Actually, it seems it actually would be, for a multitude of reasons that have been mentioned in many such threads before. The main mechanical problem would be how the "friend/enemy/neutral" difference is coded in (and how it's not really susceptible to easy modifications).

Hmm... if it's just an enable/disable toggle switch, wouldn't that be easy? There are plenty of beasts roaming around that switch from neutral to hostile upon damage.

But yeah, don't think it's worth the effort when we have much more engaging PvP options.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Actually, it seems it actually
would
be, for a multitude of reasons that have been mentioned in many such threads before. The main mechanical problem would be how the "friend/enemy/neutral" difference is coded in (and how it's not really susceptible to easy modifications).

Hmm... if it's just an enable/disable toggle switch, wouldn't that be easy? There are plenty of beasts roaming around that switch from neutral to hostile upon damage.

But yeah, don't think it's worth the effort when we have much more engaging PvP options.

But the player characters aren't Neutral, they're Allied. Completely different beast.

would

Mobs are assigned a team colour hence why some factions cAn attack each other and players can't be targeted in such a way (same team). For duelling to work, a major coding change needs to occur apparently.

FYI I am fully against any form of open world pvp incl duelling regardless of a checkbox. Very little positive can come from it and there is simply no reason for it to exist there. Enable duelling in the pvp lobby sure, but never in open world

@"JustTrogdor.7892" said:A fairly recent comment from an Anet dev regarding this topic:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/695146/#Comment_695146

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Not dueling, I hate being spammed with duel invitations.

Yeah, it's not like I suggested to have an option that saves you from receivign such invitations in the very title of this thread...Sigh.

Read the devs comment posted by JT. There are places to duel. Use them.

I didn't care for open world dueling in other MMOs which is one of the reasons I play GW2 instead of those other games. In my opinion, if you want to duel, there are options in GW2 already for that type of play, or you can play another MMO which has open world dueling. Please leave it out of OWPvE in GW2.

would

Hmm... if it's just an enable/disable toggle switch, wouldn't that be easy? There are plenty of beasts roaming around that switch from neutral to hostile upon damage.They switch between already predefined "teams" (for example, that "hostile" group is "hostile to
all
players". Not "hostile to a specific player"). Remember, in a duel you'd need to have two players that are hostile to each other, but to noone else (including that other pair of players duelling next to them). That's not a simple switch, that's a rebuild of whole ally/enemy mechanic.

Aodlop is correct about one thing. The current options for dueling leave something to be desired. Custom Arenas require players uses a PvP build, not a PvE or WvW build. WvW duels require that any passing players not intervene. Dueling in the guild hall is undesirable for players who might want to duel while waiting for, say Jormag. They'd need to give up their spot on the map to go duel, thus risking the loss of that spot when they want to return.

@"JustTrogdor.7892" said:A fairly recent comment from an Anet dev regarding this topic:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/695146/#Comment_695146

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

It seems like, much as with other features some players desire (UI customization, effects slider), the underpinnings for dueling would have best been built into the game during initial design.

Outside of emails(odd choice to put) yes, the rest of those are correct.

Toxic players exist, yes. Block them, problem solved.Guess what, toxic players exist in even bigger nombers in every popular competitive game. Should we close Fortnite, LoL and StarCraft II to prevent a few frail individuals from being offended by mean words in a videogame ?

@Aodlop.1907 said:

Toxic players exist, yes. Block them, problem solved.Guess what, toxic players exist in even bigger nombers in every popular competitive game. Should we close Fortnite, LoL and StarCraft II to prevent a few frail individuals from being offended by mean words in a videogame ?By your argument, dueling already exists, too. Problem solved.

@Aodlop.1907 said:

Toxic players exist, yes. Block them, problem solved.Guess what, toxic players exist in even bigger nombers in every popular competitive game. Should we close Fortnite, LoL and StarCraft II to prevent a few frail individuals from being offended by mean words in a videogame ?

Or we can simply not encourage it all given it doesn't add anything positive or useful to a specifically designed cooperative pve/open world environment.

@Aodlop.1907 said:

The devs aren’t adding dueling in pve zones. Go duel in spvp, guild hall or wvw. Problem solved.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Aodlop is correct about one thing. The current options for dueling leave something to be desired. Custom Arenas require players uses a PvP build, not a PvE or WvW build. WvW duels require that any passing players not intervene. Dueling in the guild hall is undesirable for players who might want to duel while waiting for, say Jormag. They'd need to give up their spot on the map to go duel, thus risking the loss of that spot when they want to return.

It seems like, much as with other features some players desire (UI customization, effects slider), the underpinnings for dueling would have best been built into the game during initial design.

The OP doesn’t even acknowledge the options that currently exist in this game. Nor has there been an acknowledgement of the people who have posted the alternatives.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The OP doesn’t even acknowledge the options that currently exist in this game. Nor has there been an acknowledgement of the people who have posted the alternatives.

My take is that the OP doesn't like the existing options, maybe because those environments aren't as heavily populated as OWPvE and that s/he is looking for the style of gaming that s/he wants at the expense of the current iteration?

@"Aodlop.1907" said:There's no reason not to do it.As the one proposing the idea, it's up to you to offer a reason this would be worth ANet's time to add to the game. Otherwise, you can just :+1: any of the many, many existing threads that already exist on the topic.

As for "reasons not to do it," there are plenty as has been expressed in those other threads including the one from a few months ago

Relevant developer comments on open world dueling

tl;dr not working on it now; no plans to do so

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" wrote in September 2018:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The OP doesn’t even acknowledge the options that currently exist in this game. Nor has there been an acknowledgement of the people who have posted the alternatives.

My take is that the OP doesn't like the existing options, maybe because those environments aren't as heavily populated as OWPvE and that s/he is looking for the style of gaming that s/he wants at the expense of the current iteration?

I would agree with your assessment.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Aodlop is correct about one thing. The current options for dueling leave something to be desired. Custom Arenas require players uses a PvP build, not a PvE or WvW build. WvW duels require that any passing players not intervene. Dueling in the guild hall is undesirable for players who might want to duel while waiting for, say Jormag. They'd need to give up their spot on the map to go duel, thus risking the loss of that spot when they want to return.

The OP doesn’t even acknowledge the options that currently exist in this game. Nor has there been an acknowledgement of the people who have posted the alternatives.

Hes also posted two other threads about the topic earlier this year; with fairly similar outcomes/responses so..

Archived