Mounts mean the death of roaming

witcher.3197

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Kolisch.4691 said:So anyone can just GTFO when they're losing?Oh you mean
like right now
? Last night I had a warrior just swoop away with all his rush/gs spin/sword leaps while I was running at 66% swiftness. Lets not even talk about the
other roamers

People keep saying oh its faster and yes that's true
in certain scenarios
. Actually just plain running aint it. Here's the facts:

Hardcapped speed ooc: 40025% perma speed ooc: 36833% swiftness speed ooc: 391 (
meaning zergs and any player with swiftness run at 98% hardcapped speed
)You can reach perma 400 with runes or traits.

So if you run to a tower in 60s on perma swiftness, a hardcapped mount will take you there in... 59s. Massive speed, huh. That's not counting any teleports either on the mount or on the running player.

Mounts in PvE are not affected by hardcapped speed. People who run the mount races on foot during festivals for the achievement can point that out. May I ask where you read that mounts would be affected by the hardcap in WvW?I know they're not in PvE, but I am working under the assumption that Anet arent kittening us over by being absolutely inept at their jobs and maintain the hardcapped speed in a WvW enviroment.

The mounts all have different speeds and the warclaw is unique to WvW, so that it would simply have a run speed of 400 is perfectly logical.

Whether I give too much credit Anets ability to think or will join in the kneejerk rant crowd is something we'll find out at release.

Well, here's to hoping they do actually hold down the mount speed. At least we know this thing won't be zipping around like a griffon or roller beetle.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its very likelyLets look at what info we haveWhen a player mounts up they loose all class based skills, meaning if two people are both on a mount they are completely equal, the only difference being base health and armor for each class. All other stats are set at 1k on a mountDue to this ganking players ends up being a paradoxIf they mount up pretty much only way you can keep up with them is if you mount up as well.But considering you are now both equal in speed and movement any lead the first player had will always exist as he has every amount of mobility as you do now.In this scenario it is impossible to engage in combat as using the dismount attack them would cause them to evade and get away, and you cant make them dismount without doing damage.The only option would be to dismount him through damage before he gets too far right?Well that would work if Anet didnt give the mount an evade. So now you have to blow your movement cds and possibly stun breaks to catch up just to burst them.In this case they may just evade your burst and carry on their marry way.If they dont and you dismount them, well now you have a fight on your hands with little cds and a wasted burst.This is why roaming may be non existent with mounts. Any player that does not wish to get ganked simply chooses not to be attacked by mounting up.If you want to catch them and fight them you have to mount up, but if you mount up you have no way of making them dismount, and since they are just as fast as you any lead they have is permanent.Roaming for respawns running to a zerg and having small man fights is a big part about wvw. Some guilds and friendships are entirely built upon it.I know the mount isnt out yet but all of this info about mounts is already available to us and this conclusion isn't very hard to figure out.

@witcher.3197 said:Now everyone's gonna have a way to just speed past players and skip encounters altogether. Because the less PvP there is in a PvP gamemode, the better, right?

Thank you Anet for absolutely destroying a part of your game many of us enjoyed since 2012 <3

Roaming I dont think is an intended form of playing wvw. You have zerg builds which is perfect for squads and a commander which is what's needed. Roaming is someone who just picks the strongest most survival heavy 1v1 spec/build they can make and picks off random players running to a zerg with zerg builds equipped. How is a solo 1v1 build vs a player with zerg build fair pvp play? or intended for a game mode called wvw?

Roaming is usually lopsided 1v1 from my experience and is rarely competitive and I doubt it's an intended focus of wvw.

So I'm in favor of mounts.

@Jazzumness.7098 said:When a player mounts up they loose all class based skills, meaning if two people are both on a mount they are completely equal, the only difference being base health and armor for each class. All other stats are set at 1k on a mountMount health/armor is independant from the player. There would be no difference.

Either way if the WvW mount have the same hardcapped speed as a player has - which it basicly have to have for competetive PvP reasons - all your concerns are void. I havrnt seen Anet state anything yet though, would be so easy for them to just drop a yes or no, sigh.

@"Dreddo.9865" said:Introducing mounts into WvW is a good idea and will bring a whole new dynamic into the mode. A lot more options and flexibility which is exactly what this mode needs to be revived. If they also stop the bandwagoning things can become even better.

Oh yeah "whole new dynamic" too bad this whole dynamic is shit and will ruin the mode. Do you think every change is good because "it's something new"?

Players mean the death of roaming. Stop giving anet this bull. Players choose to run down the only 2 roamers on the map with 10 or 15 or 20 and tryhard chase forever. Players choose to run in big groups and cower behind 3x more allies than the roamers do. Players choose to tryhard on roamers. Its all a player mentality issue,stop giving anet the blame. Roam is already dead as it can be due to these players. Mounts wont kill roaming,its already dead. It actually might bring it back alive,but knowing the mentality from most players in wvw it will prob turn to shit even more.

@Warrior Xsr.1672 said:I am a daily roamer. And wish I had a mount every day! We will just roam faster :) Unless your not playing WvW as intended. If your looking for 1 vs 1 fights. Well then........Go pvp!

WvW as intended is subjective. Unless a WvW dev comes out and say explicitly say otherwise, due to PPK can increase war score, its easily believe its one way to legit play WvW.

I don't think a whole lot more harm can be done to roaming. Though there are still small groups that float around, solo roaming has been pretty well dead for quite some time. I could probably count on one hand the number of players that are dedicated solo roamers at this point.

As for small groups (2 - 6), there are still a decent number of competent individuals that manage in WvW's current state. Mounts may make it more difficult to operate on this scale but because we don't yet know the details, all we can do is speculate. If for instance mounts only have 5 - 10k health and players are CC'd when knocked off, it could actually be more helpful to roamers than harmful.

Despite what some may think, roaming can have a significant effect on a servers performance (for instance, I often pull 100's of kills just roaming around with my 4 guild mates). These are the players that are keeping the score afloat while commanders are absent and pugs are AFK. They are also the players that are causing the enemy the most difficulty when they're trying to tackle larger threats. They may not always have as much of an impact as a near map Q sized zerg but anyone who thinks roaming is irrelevant has never done any of it.

And in regards to those who say roamers take advantage of players using zerg builds, yes, that is exactly their purpose. Like wolves herding sheep, they are there to pick off the weakest or most exposed to thin the herd. This helps to build momentum for the allied zergs and eliminates players that otherwise may have escaped death. It is unfair in the sense that the zerglet does not have the tools to defend themselves, but given the risks roamers take to succeed on the fringe of enemy zergs, I'd say it's a fair trade off. The zerg needs only turn around once with the roamers missing a few cooldowns for them to be instantly killed. It takes a whole lot more awareness and co-ordination to make this scale of combat work.

But I digress, again, all we can do is speculate. Since small groups are basically incapable of sniping upgraded objectives, and due to mechanics like Marked are often outnumbered within minutes of beginning fights, roaming is in pretty bad shape as is. I may not always get along with the guilds that continue to do so but, I respect every last one of them for keeping the smaller fights alive. I wish you all the best of luck with the following patch. Stay strong!

@Silverstone.4539 said:I for one am interested to see how it will work. I have been away for over 3 years now and this is the first thing they have done that has me interested in coming back.I was never into all the Living worlds kitten. WvW was always what i like. it good to see they are adding something more to it.

Just curious, but what of the past of wvw updates did not interest you until now? There was quite a bit of stuff added since those 3 years. Is the mount the only thing that interested you in any of the changes that wvw has received since then?

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@juno.1840 said:Seems mounts will improve roaming because it adds out-of-combat mobility to professions that are lacking in that area. That opens up build diversity and you may actually see more roamers.

except you cant mount in combat, which is when you would need it if you see 3 mounts running at you...

I for one would like to see this changed just for WvW so that 1) you can mount during combat and 2) mounting has an obnoxiously long cool down so that people can't mount over from one objective to another in quick succession.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Silverstone.4539 said:I for one am interested to see how it will work. I have been away for over 3 years now and this is the first thing they have done that has me interested in coming back.I was never into all the Living worlds kitten. WvW was always what i like. it good to see they are adding something more to it.

Just curious, but what of the past of wvw updates did not interest you until now? There was quite a bit of stuff added since those 3 years. Is the mount the only thing that interested you in any of the changes that wvw has received since then?

Most of the other updates were just balance or cosmetic loot updates, this to me looks like the first new mechanic. ( if that barrier siege was in the last 3 years, my bad )

Yeah, mounts will definitely kill roaming, because you can obviously catch up with the meta roaming specs right now... Oh wait, you can't if they want to leave because they have crazy mobility and stealth. You can only catch up with the slow professions, which are inherently disadvantaged and not played as much for that very reason. Mounts will change nothing between meta roaming specs, and you can still fight people trying to capture objectives anyway. This really smells to me like mirages and soulbeasts wanting to keep their free kills more than anything else.

The only real concern is that zergs might become mobile enough to make roaming even more irrelevant than it already is. It's a possibility, but there is also a possibility that mounts will be a positive addition. There could be havoc squads that make sure to stay mounted until after the zergs have engaged each other, and they could use these mounts for flanking and disruptive purposes, especially on choke points that encourage AoE spam. Mounts may even make roamers more capable of taking t1 towers, or even possibly keeps if they happen to go into a dead borderland. That could seriously pressure the enemy zerg to switch maps just because of 2-5 people roaming effectively.

I suspect that the mount siege capabilities will help roamers much more than zergs, because I seriously doubt that they will let an entire zerg use mounts to siege a gate. There will probably be a cap on how many can do that at once. In addition, when zergs go for hard objectives, the arrow carts stationed there will make quick work of the mounts. Since roamers only go for soft objectives, they won't encounter much resistance. These are all possibilities to think about before whining about the mount. Try it first and see if it really is bad for the game, or if it actually adds more strategic elements to the game.

@Silverstone.4539 said:

Most of the other updates were just balance or cosmetic loot updates, this to me looks like the first new mechanic. ( if that barrier siege was in the last 3 years, my bad )

Thank you for explaining, I just wanted to get an overall idea of how different things are for others, and what things can get them back. So in this case it is a new mechanic.

Just found out about this. Same old Anet. Things that nobody wanted. Nobody needed. Nobody asked for. Yet they decided to waste resources on and implement. I'm thinking that Mithril level is probably a good level to finally just quit. And the people that should probably be fired for it will keep their jobs. And the people that are now laid off are probably the ones that told them this is stupid. Anet hasn't even played WVW... EVER...

@"road range.6293" said:Things that nobody wanted. Nobody needed. Nobody asked for. Yet they decided to waste resources on and implement. I'm thinking that Mithril level is probably a good level to finally just quit. And the people that should probably be fired for it will keep their jobs. And the people that are now laid off are probably the ones that told them this is stupid. Anet hasn't even played WVW... EVER...

Don't be so sensational and don't group everybody together with your opinion. Despite how people shout them down and brand them "PvE players" or "not real WvW players" there are people who want,needed and asked for this.

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@Colly.4073 said:I'm really starting to believe that they are tactically doing stuff like this then the WvW community or what's left of it will quit and they can shut the game mode down. Why else would they be so arrogant?.

So sad.

I have a very strong feeling Anet using mounts as a quick cash before wvw death.

(just a feeling)

the correct response to their actions would be not to support them by buying anything related to those mounts. they may ignore the forums but they can't ignore statistics.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@"road range.6293" said:Things that nobody wanted. Nobody needed. Nobody asked for. Yet they decided to waste resources on and implement. I'm thinking that Mithril level is probably a good level to finally just quit. And the people that should probably be fired for it will keep their jobs. And the people that are now laid off are probably the ones that told them this is stupid. Anet hasn't even played WVW... EVER...

Don't be so sensational and don't group everybody together with your opinion. Despite how people shout them down and brand them "PvE players" or "not real WvW players" there are people who want,needed and asked for this.

Actually people have been vocal about not wanting mounts but wanting other things to be adressed which arnt happening.The only posts youve ever seen from someone wanting mounts in wvw was either a troll or someone who just loves mounts in every game mode he plays without thinking how it could affect the gamemode.Which we still arnt sure of but i see more negative than positive outcomes.

:/ I had a hard enough time dealing with Warriors with Centaur runes in the old days. Couldn't catch them...but now.....not able to catch any player due to possible expanded speed for mounts in wvw? How are you supposed to attack the enemy that's speeding past you on mount? "PULL OVER, THIS IS THE TYRIAN POLICE!"...Are they going to make a skin where red and blue lights can be mounted on the Warclaw horns to show you mean business? I hate being sarcastic about the Warclaw...but dang, there's been seriously very little info on how this thing is going to work. I don't mind earning the Warclaw in wvw in order to use in PvE….but straight up Mounts in WvW….I just barely got used to the idea of GLIDING in WvW...I think mounts is going to be stretching it, especially if they can be used as gatecrashers. Why even purchase rams, if you have a mount that can attack a gate?

Archived