Something really needs to be done about people flaming/trolling/harassing others for doing events.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kharmin.7683 said:

@phs.6089 said:'I do what I want, you all have tough luck' GottchaLike it or not, this is the way of MMOs. Personally, I don't agree with the sentiment but there is little I can do about it as this is how the genre is structured. Where I have issue with it is when the player(s) is being malicious with their actions.

Then this topic is meaningless, OP was called out for messing with efficiency on organized map, in case of SW it is capping ahead. I can bet Comm called and asked to don't do that but when they arrived camp was capped.So comm assume he/she sees low trolling. I don't defend for 'maybe' (as we know the only single side of the story) harassing in map chat. But it is MMO, you gotta be ready to face reaction for your actions.

@phs.6089 said:Then this topic is meaningless, OP was called out for messing with efficiency on organized map, in case of SW it is capping ahead. I can bet Comm called and asked to don't do that but when they arrived camp was capped.So comm assume he/she sees low trolling. I don't defend for 'maybe' (as we know the only single side of the story) harassing in map chat. But it is MMO, you gotta be ready to face reaction for your actions.We're all making assumptions as to how this particular scenario went down as none but the OP were there and we only have that side of things. With that in mind, then I agree that the topic is meaningless.

Fortunately, I believe the only place where this can happen is silverwastes, as I don't recall any other place where people squad up and farm events of some map.

Now, this totally reminds me of the champion train in QueensDale, it had the whole "don't mess with our farm!" harassing vibe as well in map chat.

And Queensdale is the starter map for human characters, now that was all degrees of awful for new players.

So, to OP, it's unfortunate this can happen, but fortunately it only does in one map out of the 50+ the game has, and not even in every instance (I don't usually bump into any tags when I venture into SW).

ANet does continue to address events in which players quarrel over each other instead of cooperating (they made changes to meta events in kourma and the latest map exactly because of this).

However, there's a limit to how much they can change the game, and I doubt they will (or can, for that matter) change how silverwastes works to prevent this kind of farm happening.

Perhaps some kinder communication would prevent such situations, but as was also mentioned before.... some people just want to mess up with others, and that causes the frustration you might have had directed at OP.

just do what you want to.i've been flamed plenty of times for doing events.

I remember a time in Orr, where the assaults were.. (not kinda bugged, but poorly optimized).Which resulted in people wanting an event to fail so there was an infinite loop of 'defend the camp' events with champions.if you tried to complete the event, you got a literal pile of dolyak excrement thrown your way.

block them if they go too far, and report them if they immediately turn to insults

just ask yourself "do you need this event, or not?"if you do, your success goes above their farming, 100% of the time.

@phs.6089 said:

If map is organized running RIBA and someone is capping ahead, therefore messing the the rotation for 40-50 people. What do you call that?For sake or enjoyment you don't ruin others play, no?

A lot of times players have no idea about the larger picture. If a new player starts an event out of your sequence, the correct thing to do is let him know that there's an order to doing these things, and would he like to join the squad to learn the rotation - NOT screaming at him and berating him for trying something that looks fun.

I can recall one time finding a chest lying around and I opened it. Turns out it was the caffeinated skritt, which I'd never heard of. People flipped their lids over it, insulting me every way they could. It was an honest mistake. I din't know what it was, and everything about playing MMOs told me to go ahead and see what's inside.

The issue again isn't who should be doing what - it's the attitude being displayed.

i see three major points that practically everyone here is touching on. and all of them are absolutely valid and highly recommended to remember. and yes, this is coming from someone who tags up on events often(100% of the time it's to rally the troops to a cool event on a map)the first point. block/ignore/report. if someone is being that much of a glory hog that they cannot see that not everyone wants to play their reindeer games, and they are being rude about it to you, then by all means excercise your right to block/ignore, and in worst case scenario, report). IF, however they are being respectful in their request, be the bigger person, let it slide, and either stay on the map to do your own thing or move to another instance to do your own thing. THAT SAID.....Point number 2: no one owns a map. i don't care if it's SW or VB or AB or Queensdale. i don't care if it's the most elite squad on the planet doing the hardest boss on the planet in the most efficient way possible(like triple trouble or chak gerent) there is not a single map in game Owned by any guild except their guild hall, and last time i checked, they don't hold metas there. You do you, play your game, and chill.keep popcorn on standby if the drama ensues because your mere presence "hinders" them. (PSST.... it doesn't).Point number 3:don't be that guy(or gal). don't be the guy(or gal) who deliberately (even if you "didn't mean it" ) trolls an event for the sake of trolling. for every person out there that gets upset because they are asked to politely change instances, there is someone that does everything they can to rile up the masses of people actually working on the upticking of the event. Trust me when i say this, i am not saying you, the OP, are doing this. not my call. I am simply saying.... don't be that guy(or gal). chances are good, if you are, you yourself will get ignored/blocked/reported.

@Cerioth.7062 said:My favourite was when I was posting a guild recruitment post on Verdant Brink one time, I had just entered the map, and supposedly a guild was hosting a night meta. They got mad at me and told me theyre hosting an event in the map and that I shouldnt recruit for my guild. Lol.

You mean you did not ask some random person to get their permission first when you? How rude! :)

Tags have their uses when organizing ('5 more people needed on the orange tag event') but in general, yeah, a lot of people just use them for bragging rights.

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:'I do what I want, you all have tough luck' GottchaLike it or not, this is the way of MMOs. Personally, I don't agree with the sentiment but there is little I can do about it as this is how the genre is structured. Where I have issue with it is when the player(s) is being malicious with their actions.

Then this topic is meaningless, OP was called out for messing with efficiency on organized map, in case of SW it is capping ahead. I can bet Comm called and asked to don't do that but when they arrived camp was capped.So comm assume he/she sees low trolling. I don't defend for 'maybe' (as we know the only single side of the story) harassing in map chat. But it is MMO, you gotta be ready to face reaction for your actions.

Its simply 'badly designed'. If doing something in a unnatural programmed way is more profitable than simply playing with whats in front of you, on the go or naturally helping out, then that will always lead to problems between efficiency and leisurely exploring. Everyone getting the same rewards at regular intervals depending on the complete state would be more intuitive and cause less friction.

Ofcourse, it would also be more boring or harder to improve efficiency playing in the map to get the best loot.

I personally really dislike predescribed ways of "how you should play", And I have more times than not did things out of order because it simply was on my path, rather than paying attention to map chat.

This isnt about malicious intent, but two playstyles that dont mix unless the meta or event is designed so this doesnt happen as much.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Its simply 'badly designed'. If doing something in a unnatural programmed way is more profitable than simply playing with whats in front of you, on the go or naturally helping out, then that will always lead to problems between efficiency and leisurely exploring. Everyone getting the same rewards at regular intervals depending on the complete state would be more intuitive and cause less friction.

Ofcourse, it would also be more boring or harder to improve efficiency playing in the map to get the best loot.

I personally really dislike predescribed ways of "how you should play", And I have more times than not did things out of order because it simply was on my path, rather than paying attention to map chat.

This isnt about malicious intent, but two playstyles that dont mix unless the meta or event is designed so this doesn't happen as much.

Please it's one of the best designs, no killsteal, no farm denial, no waiting for days on a boss, no loot ninja etc.Its just organized meta on map doesn't have to suffer from people that want to play with what is in front of them. I get that it's happiness simply don't knowing/not having information on what is going on. But still, MMO you play with people, try to pay attention on what is going on around you.

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

This isnt about malicious intent, but two playstyles that dont mix unless the meta or event is designed so this doesn't happen as much.

Please it's one of the best designs, no killsteal, no farm denial, no waiting for days on a boss, no loot ninja etc.Its just organized meta on map doesn't have to suffer from people that want to play with what is in front of them. I get that it's happiness simply don't knowing/not having information on what is going on. But still, MMO you play with people, try to pay attention on what is going on around you.

I did make quotationmarks for a reason. Also, playing with other players isnt the same as trying to force people to play with eachother. Goals are simply different, some play for fun, other play for loot. Usually that mixes, but in years old content, some people have gone above and beyond to get the most loot while others dont like to stick to a schedule in order to do the events.

And while you can take jabs at people being ignorant, I'm not even saying that either way is playing in the wrong way. I guess its just an alien concept that people dont always play for the most loot at all times.

And its a game, some people have an actual work where they do repetitive grinding that playing a game is where they dont pay attention to the supposed holy way of playing and just go about their business and enjoy themselves.

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:If you with you actions messing with RIBA rotation, the question is who is the troll harasser.

If the OP is playing the content for the sake of enjoying said content, and others verbally abuse him, then the abusers are the harassers and trolls.

If the someone is playing out of sequence of others on the map for the purpose of hindering their ability to achieve their goals, then he is the troll.

If map is organized running RIBA and someone is capping ahead, therefore messing the the rotation for 40-50 people. What do you call that?For sake or enjoyment you don't ruin others play, no?

I call it playing what you want, doing stuff on a map that had 40-50 others on it doing their thing.No one owns a map, no one takes precedent over another. If those 40-50 don't like it, then that's just tough luck.. they also have the option to block, report if there is abuse coming towards them in chat, but at the same time they can leave the map if its upsetting them so much they feel they have the right to harass and abuse others not wanting to conform to their demands.Having a tag or a zerg gives you the same map ownership and event priority as a single roamer - exactly none!

Now I see the logic of people that pull kitten under Teq's fees, pop bauble before gold in brench, kill east, while other lines haven't even started -one burn in AB etc.

'I do what I want, you all have tough luck' Gottcha

If they are intentionally causing issues then report them... I remember ANET dealing with a similar abuse when the candy corn tonics hit the game...but players doing their own thing, completing events killing mobs etc while on a map is not being a troll. Those abusing via chat however are the real problem no matter what side of the argument you sit.One thing I still hate about GW2 is ANET's thinking it cool to place incentive behind failing events... that is an open world recipe for toxicity that can cause these kind of issues to arise by no fault of the players who both have genuine reasons to want to complete or fail the same event.... Orr comes to mind alot here and not just the Arah defence.But like it or not no one has ownership of a map or mapwide events only their own behaviour whilst on the map... the sooner players accept that the less likely map will e flood with toxicity and whisper harrassement will be less likely.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

I did make quotationmarks for a reason. Also, playing with other players isnt the same as trying to force people to play with eachother. Goals are simply different, some play for fun, other play for loot. Usually that mixes, but in years old content, some people have gone above and beyond to get the most loot while others dont like to stick to a schedule in order to do the events.

And while you can take jabs at people being ignorant, I'm not even saying that either way is playing in the wrong way. I guess its just an alien concept that people dont always play for the most loot at all times.

And its a game, some people have an actual work where they do repetitive grinding that playing a game is where they dont pay attention to the supposed holy way of playing and just go about their business and enjoy themselves.

We are not disagree but shouldn't your enjoyment end where others pain start?I dunno how much you know of RIBA but let me brief it. Squad starts in Red goes to Indigo, then Blue, finally Amber, they do it to set intervals on forts being attacked, so rotation or RIBA will go smooth.Now Red and Indi are tougher tasks to cap then Blue or Amber, Amber can be capped under 20 seconds.So if someone capped Blue or Amber while squad is in red, this leads to whole bunch of people frustration as the things to do is spread out (like old days) or let Blue or Amber fail to recap to set the interval both methods lead to less loot fro more time spend.

Again I don't defend rudeness of some, I don't deny player to play what they want. But enjoyment should end where you cause trouble to others.

@"Chewy Komeiji.2576" said:It's obnoxious enough watching a "commander" and his lackeys scream at people on Silverwastes map chat for not joining their squad and zerging with them,I've been in Silverwastes probably 100s of times and never experienced this. It seems very unusual to me.

The closest I've ever seen is during the "time out" period, when there's a chest train. A good commander will use markers to show the locations of chests. If I go alone to open them, then (a) the chest might expire without 90% of other players getting a chance to open and (b) people will have trouble finding it. Mind you, no one should "scream" about it; they should just explain why it's in everyone's interest to share the locations.

when I end up having to outright leave a map because some group is farming events and goes off on me for trying to do a separate chain on the other side of the map and supposedly "ruining their efficiency" and "breaking their ranks,"It's been years since I've seen this because ANet has done a lot to remove the source of conflict. They've changed cooldown timers on events, changed reward structures, etc. This is only possible when folks report which maps/events, so that ANet can take a look at the root causes.

you're just convincing me that I should never, ever touch any of the game outside of following the story. For the sake of my own sanity.Sure, if you're not enjoying your time, better not to touch the game. But... like I wrote above, I haven't had anything close to the same experience. And since you haven't been specific, it's hard to know what was going on.

If ANet care at all about actually retaining players, it needs to be addressed. Full stop.

As I wrote above, they have addressed this sort of thing in the past. If you want them to do so for this case, be specific.(And in the meantime, as others have said, block anyone screaming at you, report anyone making it personal, and move on.)

edit: see also below, what @Mewcifer.5198 wrote, i.e. sometimes miscommunication comes from just one of the parties interpreting a gracious request as a shrill demand

I've been playing a long time and I can't remember the last time people acted in map chat the way OP is describing them.Am I just really lucky? Is OP exaggerating and/or misinterpreting the tone of other people? Or is there things OP is not telling us about what was said in map chat before the supposed rudeness?

I've seen people ask others to please do or not do something, but usually they aren't rude about it. And usually people listen to the commander.But I've had people respond to "If anyone is not doing triple trouble we kindly ask that you please swap maps for a minute so we can get people in who are wanting to do the event" with "wow talk about entitled, I can stay on this map if I want, you can't tell me to leave. You down't own the map" to which the normal response they get is "wow okay asshole" (not even usually the person who originally people to change maps but from randoms on the map) and I have no doubts that they probably went to some friend of theirs and said "you would not believe the people in map chat in bloodtide today, they were doing some event I didn't care about while I was just trying to do some map completion and they started demanding that anyone not doing that event leave and verbally abused me when I didnt"

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

We are not disagree but shouldn't your enjoyment end where others pain start?I dunno how much you know of RIBA but let me brief it. Squad starts in Red goes to Indigo, then Blue, finally Amber, they do it to set intervals on forts being attacked, so rotation or RIBA will go smooth.Now Red and Indi are tougher tasks to cap then Blue or Amber, Amber can be capped under 20 seconds.So if someone capped Blue or Amber while squad is in red, this leads to whole bunch of people frustration as the things to do is spread out (like old days) or let Blue or Amber fail to recap to set the interval both methods lead to less loot fro more time spend.

Again I don't defend rudeness of some, I don't deny player to play what they want. But enjoyment should end where you cause trouble to others.

Well the way I see that is that the "causing trouble to others" is double edged. Either party needs to adapt, account for, or has their goal negatively impacted to the other playstyle.

In this area its 'badly designed', as in, it puts both types of entertainment opposed to eachother. Something like Palawadan, has both more or less looking in the same direction.

It would be nice if we had the ability to create and switch instances on demand. RIBA commanders could start their own instances and label them accordingly. I'm not sure if it's still a problem, but we used to have issues on the Heart of Thorns maps. One group would be setting up for a map meta while another commander was running a large hero point train, thus limiting the available population for the meta.

@Shining One.1635 said:we used to have issues on the Heart of Thorns maps. One group would be setting up for a map meta while another commander was running a large hero point train, thus limiting the available population for the meta.

Currently, it shouldn't even be a theoretical issue, because there shouldn't be any remaining metas that require the entire map to participate, i.e. there's room for a large hero train and a successful meta squad.

Even back then, it was was largely a myth that came about from people convinced that numbers matter, whereas it's really execution on mechanics that's important. With sufficiently large groups, the difference is less noticeable. It was most important for the first six months of HoT, before (a) enough people became familiar with the mechanics and (b) the difficulty of the maps was nerfed.

AB is largely automatic these days because so many people participated in multi-map farming, that lots and lots of folks can do the Auric meta in their sleep. For VB, it's trickier, because there aren't a lot of people who understand how (theoretical) simple that map is, so there is occasionally tension between hero trains and the meta. (Many HP train commanders will deliberately start during day time to avoid the issue.) Regardless, that map's meta can be done with or without a hero train on the map.

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Actually, in the eyes of ANet it is badly designed if it can lead to people arguing to each another instead of peacefully cooperating.

It's just that some things they really can't do much about. How do you make it so people who've devised an event chain farm are not affected by somebody else messing the chains? That would require either destroying the farm (eg: you no longer can tag an event, leave it there and still get participation while you are elsewhere), or timing the events so that they fit perfectly the farm so that there's nothing to trigger out of order. The latter is highly unlikely, and the former would cause a revolt and turn silverwastes into a wasteland.

I think ANet will tune up many events eventually to prevent infighting amongst players, but of all coordinated farms, Sw would take the most work to sort out. Maybe that's why it has been left alone all these years.

@"Skotlex.7580" said:Fortunately, I believe the only place where this can happen is silverwastes, as I don't recall any other place where people squad up and farm events of some map.

Not true, I can remember many time when commanders were belching at each othe rin Istan for not "waiting" to trigger GH on their own map for the other zerg to join them or even as far back as Plinx being pulled out of rotation,

Archived