"Starter" mount for core players?

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not
just
because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

I originally bought PoF exclusively because I felt like I needed a mount, especially as I was running SW chest farm almost daily back then and it became impossible to keep up with everyone.So yes, their strategy totally works and makes a lot of sense.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Biff.5312 said:I think the solution is simple. Instead of chasing the announced events, he should wander and find ones that are not being announced. That's what I tend to do anyway since the announced ones are often completed even before you can wp there. It's not usually very difficult to find enough of them to complete my daily in about 15 minutes, tops.

+1 to this.

The daily map event is horrible, and gets more frustrating if you try to latch onto the call-outs. I've always had an easier time just remembering or finding out where the ongoing event-chains are, and just stick to them. There is usually 1-2 event-chains on each map that is going on near constantly or can be restarted right away.

I'll say it again, Daily map events is horrible.

At least they finally fixed the mount attack scaling, so you have a slight chance of tagging a mob before 5 raptors wipe out the entire thing.

Best advice is as IWA said, look at the other dailies, and try them out.

@phs.6089 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:So I have been helping a friend get in to the game. He has the core game so far (Heroic edition not FTP) and like it. There is one issue that has come up however that is souring him on the game and is very frustrating for him. He has leveled enough that he can now do dailies, however it is extremely hard to complete some of them due to not having a mount and competing with players who do. Example, when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over because everyone with a mount got there much faster and completed it. I did explain that he will get mounts eventually but you know how some people "want it now". So I was thinking, would it be that bad to give new players a "default" mount? No special abilities other then movement speed. It could also be a source of revenue by selling skins as well? Any thoughts? I have been thinking about just buying him a waypoint unlock package but that kind of spoils the fun of exploring. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

This is done by design to force non-PoF people to buy PoF. Anet has known this would be an issue because it was said a bunch before they were introduced to core Tyria. It then took them ages to reduce the engage damage from mounts on lower level maps. The whole idea is frustrate those new players enough that they feel they need a mount to compete and then they buy the game. Unfortunately it will also push some away from the game, but chances are those numbers are lower than those that will just buy PoF.

Until then, your friend can try to learn where there are chain events on given maps then camp those until they happen so he doesn't have to worry about out running a mount to get to it.

Yeah we all understand the point of buying PoF.What would a free core mount do? It's like giving a bit of ice-cream in a hot day and showing the way where one can buy whole bunch of ice-creams.

I removes the urgency to get the expansion for mounts, and since you get your first basic mount right out of the gates with said expansion it doesn't make any financial sense to cut into your own bottom line like that. Its simple economics especially for a company facing down decreased numbers financially.

No, this is a very flawed way of looking at it. People will buy PoF because they like the game, not
just
because they want a mount, so doing things to make the game more enjoyable for new players is the correct way to incentivize purchasing expansions. Providing a core mount is a way to do this while also giving a taste of what's to come in PoF.

It's like saying ... lets give the X artist's album for free with low quality and if they love it they will buy it with the high quality. In the mean time the artist is starving.

Album of an artist will be the full product. But lest say give a free song from album that 12 will be more correct.

Can't tell you how many albums there are where I ONLY like one song. This would be great! For me. For the artists, not so much.

Oh and I imagine the friend is frustrated because the other person keeps jumping on a mount.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:I really don't understand the arguments against just providing a core mount (like a horse) that can be obtained early by new players. They just really make no logical sense.

IMO, it's something you should have for a first time leveling experience and fail to see how it would dissuade people from buying PoF. If anything, it would likely lead to more general enjoyment of the game by new players and therefore more desire to buy PoF.

I agree completely. Make it a requirement that they get to level 10. Give them a mount that has no special abilities, only speed. This will do a couple of things. They will enjoy the game instead of growing to resent all of the ones who have mounts, yes I have seen this happening, and quitting. Give them that mount to use until they get to level 80, buy PoF, and can get the raptor. Having that mount and knowing that the others all come with special abilities will have them looking forward to getting the other mounts. They will enjoy the game, not felt left out, and be more likely to stick around and become part of our community.

@Etterwyn.5263 said:Your friend needs to build for damage and mobility (perma swiftness, leaps, and blinks- every class should have at least one of those three), and only go for events called out near waypoints. Mounts don't make you waypoint faster. If he doesn't have the map fully unlocked then map completion needs to be the priority.

Giving mounts / gliding to those who haven't bought the expansions isn't fair to those who paid. Other than the festival rent-a-mount, don't hold your breath.

A mount rental, whether it's a machine or a living creature sounds like a great thing for the core game. I own both HoT and PoF, but the thought of seeing Charr vehicles moving around the landscape would be pretty cool. I love some of the Blood Legion tank-like machines they have and wish I could see them rolling by every now and then when I'm in Charr territory :o

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:This is what he gets for free... dont see the need for complaining here...buy PoF and thats thatYou need to read more carefully, he is NOT a free player. He paid full price for the heroic edition, but thanks for the unhelpful comment anyway.BTW, even with POF you STILL need to level to 80 unless you use a booster which spoils many parts of the game.

I bought the core game when it first came out the bought HoT and PoF. Expansions are promoted by a specific headlining feature. Gliding was HoT's headlining feature and mounts was the headlining feature for PoF. It's how they promote sales to support the game. Giving away a core mount would detract from the sales of the expansions. It's not like they are that expensive. They have sales on them quite often.

There isn't anything in the core game that requires mounts to accomplish. My only gripe is that new players who purchase PoF have to jump stories to get the mounts. There isn't a simple progression where they get the raptor mount at a special PoF side sequence to the personal story. It's not an issue for long time players though.

You know, event dailies aren't the only option. Gathering and viewpoint dailies are there, and he can always do PvP dailies in unranked. You don't have to be good or know what you're doing to do unranked PvP dailies--enter a match or two, run around, get a few hits on another player before your team kills it and BAM--you get PvP dailies, even if you lose.

@Samuel.4812 said:Eh. I feel like a mount slower than raptor for core players would be fine. Make it a cute alpaca. Would make it alot easier for new players to get into the game and that's not a bad thing. It was part of the reason I never appreciated gw2 at launch and went back to wow.

There are travel toys available from time to time on the gem store. They are essentially slow mounts.

@Tiviana.2650 said:hows this for an idea, rent a mount? Put rental mounts on some vendors in core tyria, cost like 50 silver/ 1 gold for an hour. Oh and make them Dolyaks! I have mounts but even i would rent a dolyak!

This is a cool idea, price a bit high for new players but yeah would be cool to let people rent, prolly all of them but griffon(?) to give them taste of what they can get.

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:when an event completer daily comes up and he attempts to do it, other players will helpfully post the location for the event or it will show on the map. By the time he runs to that location, the event is over

Then its time to stop following the crowd and just roam on his own. It's not that hard to randomly bump into an event while wandering.

4x Event dailies should simply focus on a continent rather than a single map. Core maps arent even made to have events repeat that often.

That or maybe reduce the number to 1 event for the daily.

That, or make all hearts repeatable and include those.

Now, harvesting can easily be in one map only as the goals arent shared or 'stolen' by other players.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:4x Event dailies should simply focus on a continent rather than a single map. Core maps arent even made to have events repeat that often.

Now, harvesting can easily be in one map only as the goals arent shared or 'stolen' by other players.

Honestly it would just be better to buy the expansion.The daily system has never been exclusively tied to living maps nor does it force you to do your dailies, because nothing in the game is tied to do your daily x amount of time over a long period in order to acquire x unique item.Nothing in the game gives you a free glider even if you don't own HoT so obviously, nothing in the game should give you a free mount in zones that weren't designed with mounts in the first place.They were generous enough for people without PoF to offer mount rentals in festivals as well as for the roller beetle races, that is enough of a nice preview and incentive imo.

@flog.3485 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:4x Event dailies should simply focus on a continent rather than a single map. Core maps arent even made to have events repeat that often.

Honestly it would just be better to buy the expansion.The daily system has never been exclusively tied to living maps nor does it force you to do your dailies, because nothing in the game is tied to do your daily x amount of time over a long period in order to acquire x unique item.Nothing in the game gives you a free glider even if you don't own HoT so obviously, nothing in the game should give you a free mount in zones that weren't designed with mounts in the first place.They were generous enough for people without PoF to offer mount rentals in festivals as well as for the roller beetle races, that is enough of a nice preview and incentive imo.

I always skip the event daily, and I do have every mount. If the goal is to do every daily then that specific daily is flawed with or without mounts.

The suggestion to buy PoF will help to get a mount, and the suggestion for starter players to get a starter mount, will only help so much to attain said goal.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

I always skip the event daily, and I do have every mount. If the goal is to do every daily then that specific daily is flawed with or without mounts.

The suggestion to buy PoF will help to get a mount, and the suggestion for starter players to get a starter mount, will only help so much to attain said goal.

I really don’t understand your argument.I never said to do every daily. All your dailies requires you to complete 3 tasks. If one player struggles to do the daily event in one map without mount, why do it ?This player can play the 2 very easy solo daily with harvesting tools and vistas and then focus on a easy daily within PvP or WvW.

@ShiningSquirrel.3751 said:

I have been working with him on map completion as most of the waypoints are not unlocked yet, but it does take time. I really do not see what would be unfair about a basic mount with no abilities compared to all the mounts with special abilities you get for owning POF.

Let's say someone all ready has a character they really like but it's not level 80 yet. But they want to buy POF cause they want to play that content OR have access to the mounts. But they really want to level up their current character by them self's.

What they could do is use the 'FREE' level 80 boost you get from POF and boost a new character. Then use that new character for the sole purpose of doing the first quest in POF for the Raptor mount. As long there is least one level 80 character on the account you can use the mount on any char no matter the level. So at that point they can do back to playing their old character they really like and keep leveling on their own but now they will have a mount.

Guildwars at this moment has pretty much evolved in the last years.If you follow the story like you should be (Core -> LS2 -> HoT -> etc) It takes a long time to get to mounts. And you don't want players to rush content or skip content just to get mounts. A game should always support their own story the've told, both for old and new players.

That's why i think it would be good to introduce a basic mount for paid core players.But, like people said before the mount shouldn't be free or extremely easy to get. (+/- 100g + quest chain). The mount should not have special abilities, except for a slight increase of speed.

@flog.3485 said:

I really don’t understand your argument.I never said to do every daily. All your dailies requires you to complete 3 tasks. If one player struggles to do the daily event in one map without mount, why do it ?This player can play the 2 very easy solo daily with harvesting tools and vistas and then focus on a easy daily within PvP or WvW.

OP did talk about not being able to certain dailies. So i made my suggestion. You responded to my posts, so I explained.I never claimed you said do all dailies.

Archived