I have never been so disgusted in the GW2 community before!

Nothing new. this happens everytime i'm playing WvW and thats only to get the Gift of Battle.You get kicked out of groups if you dont join Teamspeak "Because WvW is so a fast and dynamic it only can be played with Teamspeak" yeah lol sure.

because of the queue i played Mists. You can get a lot of things from Warclaw in the Mists. This morning i joined WvW bought 2 vendor items and claimed a supply camp with two other players. Tonight i will finish the rest again in the Mists.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@StrawHat.2639 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:Earlier today, a new player was asking for help repairing a keep gate that had been smashed down. Several rather helpful individuals responded over map chat with such helpful insights like "go back to PvE" or "stay out of wvw until you know how to play". They even helpfully pointed out that the wiki can teach a player everything they need to know, and they should read the entire thing before even thinking of stepping foot on their holy ground.

Some people really are the worst. I know they are the minority (and generally the most vocal), but I could see how these sorts of people could make the game mode offputting for newer players.

Fair enough but what does it take but 5-10 min to read the gw2 wvw wiki...and people had 2 weeks to do so with the update delays...it goes both ways sorry. I use the wiki for raids and pve stuff I don' know about then ask guildmates then ask the community...anyways that's the other view of it.

They were asking for help repairing the gate, not for information - it was just that in this case the objective was about 6 dolyaks away from upgrading, so nobody was really worried about an attack. This isn't something you pick up on the wiki, it's something you pick it up by playing the game mode (at least, it was in my experience).

Instead of explaining this, people saw fit to imediately call them PvE trash over the (very public) map chat.

So this is why I can sort of understand why people have negitive opinions towards the WvW community.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:Earlier today, a new player was asking for help repairing a keep gate that had been smashed down. Several rather helpful individuals responded over map chat with such helpful insights like "go back to PvE" or "stay out of wvw until you know how to play". They even helpfully pointed out that the wiki can teach a player everything they need to know, and they should read the entire thing before even thinking of stepping foot on their holy ground.

Some people really are the worst. I know they are the minority (and generally the most vocal), but I could see how these sorts of people could make the game mode offputting for newer players.

Fair enough but what does it take but 5-10 min to read the gw2 wvw wiki...and people had 2 weeks to do so with the update delays...it goes both ways sorry. I use the wiki for raids and pve stuff I don' know about then ask guildmates then ask the community...anyways that's the other view of it.

They were asking for help repairing the gate, not for information - it was just that in this case the objective was about 6 dolyaks away from upgrading, so nobody was really worried about an attack. This isn't something you pick up on the wiki, it's something you pick it up by playing the game mode (at least, it was in my experience).

Instead of explaining this, people saw fit to imediately call them PvE trash over the (very public) map chat.

So this is why I can sort of understand why people have negitive opinions towards the WvW community.

Like i Stated before, those trolls surpress the Nice playersJust bore Them enough till they stop

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:Earlier today, a new player was asking for help repairing a keep gate that had been smashed down. Several rather helpful individuals responded over map chat with such helpful insights like "go back to PvE" or "stay out of wvw until you know how to play". They even helpfully pointed out that the wiki can teach a player everything they need to know, and they should read the entire thing before even thinking of stepping foot on their holy ground.

That's different you should have said that from the start.

@StrawHat.2639 said:

That's different you should have said that from the start.

IT was said

Complain to ArenaNet about the way the mount was implemented then. This approach was obviously going to lead to enormous queues and waves of non-WvW players coming for their exclusive rewards. Which in turn was bound to frustrate the community in question, those who have been anticipating the update more than anyone else.People ended up not being able to play for hours just to run into mostly new PvE players when they actually got in. Players who mostly couldn't be less interested in actually playing the mode or being a part of everything that makes the mode exciting. I think that is enough to frustrate almost anyone to a certain degree.

You are playing with real people after all. Things will be better once everything has calmed down a little. As people already mentioned, this issue can easily be applied to PvP or PvE. Toxicity is a pretty universal thing. On a similar level to entitlement and the idea people have that they need to be treated with a red carpet wherever they go.

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:Nothing new. this happens everytime i'm playing WvW and thats only to get the Gift of Battle.You get kicked out of groups if you dont join Teamspeak "Because WvW is so a fast and dynamic it only can be played with Teamspeak" yeah lol sure.

because of the queue i played Mists. You can get a lot of things from Warclaw in the Mists. This morning i joined WvW bought 2 vendor items and claimed a supply camp with two other players. Tonight i will finish the rest again in the Mists.

Tbf to the WvW folks, this problem lies with you. You're not actively trying to learn, you are disregarding everything people say, and purposely mess up the experience of players around you. If you don't want to be in WvW, refusing to play with the community and think whatever we say is garbage, we don't want you. You give us no respect, then don't expect us to give you respect.

How would you feel if I join your raid party in soldier greens even though I know that's a dkitten move, but fkitten you because I roll however I want because I can and don't tell me what to do?

As for other players who at least are genuinely trying to learn or testing the game mode with an open mindset. You are welcome.

And who uses teamspeak nowadays?

@"Celsith.2753" said:I'm seeing people demand that, 'If you already have the mount you should leave wvw and let other people have their turn'And then people wonder why the toxicity.....

Yeah I saw that too. It took a bit but I saw it and all I could think was "What if I'm enjoying my time here and would like to play?" I actually brought a WvW meta build in to survive longer/do better.

@ThunderPanda.1872 said:

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:Nothing new. this happens everytime i'm playing WvW and thats only to get the Gift of Battle.You get kicked out of groups if you dont join Teamspeak "Because WvW is so a fast and dynamic it only can be played with Teamspeak" yeah lol sure.

Tbf to the WvW folks, this problem lies with you. You're not actively trying to learn, you are disregarding everything people say, and purposely mess up the experience of players around you. If you don't want to be in WvW, refusing to play with the community and think whatever we say is garbage, we don't want you. You give us no respect, then don't expect us to give you respect.

How would you feel if I join your raid party in soldier greens even though I know that's a dkitten move, but fkitten you because I roll however I want because I can and don't tell me what to do?

As for other players who at least are genuinely trying to learn or testing the game mode with an open mindset. You are welcome.

you blame to wrong. We have to do WvW to craft Legendarys.Nobody need to PuG raids or fractals.In a raid you are on of twenty players. in WvW well one of 40-80+. It doesnt matter.

And who uses teamspeak nowadays?well every german WvW server

and i joined some of this TS groups. 90% of the talk has nothing todo with WvW.of course not, the only thing they do is run in circles and zerg everything.

@Henry.5713 said:Complain to ArenaNet about the way the mount was implemented then. This approach was obviously going to lead to enormous queues and waves of non-WvW players coming for their exclusive rewards. Which in turn was bound to frustrate the community in question, those who have been anticipating the update more than anyone else.People ended up not being able to play for hours just to run into mostly new PvE players when they actually got in. Players who mostly couldn't be less interested in actually playing the mode or being a part of everything that makes the mode exciting. I think that is enough to frustrate almost anyone to a certain degree.

You are playing with real people after all. Things will be better once everything has calmed down a little. As people already mentioned, this issue can easily be applied to PvP or PvE. Toxicity is a pretty universal thing. On a similar level to entitlement and the idea people have that they need to be treated with a red carpet wherever they go.

Toxicity is, in my observation, people who joined a good group to get carried by the group. Most know this but Will never admit.

I do troll a bit in teamchat, all in good fun...but if someone asks something in mapchat ill also try to help alot

The biggest issue of 'toxicity' i see in wvw is that toxic people are mostly overbored and check the teamchat the most and responds quickest. On this, as i know alot of experiences on Friends of mine are the same, they get overruled)

For instance questions like 'how do i get the mount' probably getting replied by a sentence 'fy pve scrub' (probably because they only need to press ctrl v), in the rare occasions i take my time for replying (because im mostly busy flipping camps, fighting enemies and respawn(more rarely loot))i cant outrun the troll with typing. And i Just backspace at that point, since i feel the person is too stomped allready

as a WvWer myself i had to hide team chat because of salt, except from making jokes about how some people were confused and try to call people to join EOTM , i felt uncomfortable from WvWer and PvEer fires. and when i was able to get to a bl , it felt pretty dead even with that big Q.i finished my night RP in DR .

Well, just try to be friendly yourself. Toxic people are going to be toxic. Not much will change this.I also stumbled on some toxicity in chat yesterday but I gave some directions to new WvW players (Welcome to World vs World, the easiest way to play is to just follow a commander and do what they say/do.) and ping locations where towers or keeps will be captured in chat ([Keep Poi] Keep capture for warclaw come here)

It was nice to have new players in here. I'm sure some of them will come back to WvW later to actually play it and get better

If you really enjoy the mode, what people say won't matter anyway. Have thick skin. They might not be nice in the way they say things but oftentimes what they say is true. Observe and learn. Ask questions but don't expect a nice response. You will get the answer you need and that's all that matters.

5 minutes after the patch launched one of the top guilds on my server announced an open tag to help new players get the mount collection done, and did a train from Keep to Tower to Camp.

But hey, thanks to the OP for keeping an open mind, and not generalizing the entire WvW community based on the 30minutes or so they played in the game mode during a special event week :+1:

@"CosmicKittenTora.6015" said:I decide to go into WvW to try and get the newest mount for myself, and I am having a surprisingly good time. However, the WvW community is extremely toxic, there are so many new players either actually trying out WvW or having PvE players come in for the mount, and when they ask for help, the WvW community is so rude towards them and it's disgusting.

To me, Anet introduced the mount so that people would have a reason to try out WvW, and that is what I am doing, I am actually going to be in WvW more often.These WvW players are chasing potential new players to either hate WvW or hate the entire game.

I am always afraid to ask for help in any mode now because I am afraid of getting attacked for not knowing something, these people don't realize that they also at one point knew nothing about these things, and now verbally attacking new players and calling them idiots.

I know there is no way to change these things about the people, I just wanted to express my major concern about one of the games biggest communities.

WvW is really fun and I do not want people to get chased away, I am going to be doing WvW more often but going to just avoid talking to the people in there.

I don't intend to add salt on the wound, but what you realy did and what was the reaction of the "extremely toxic community"? Because I know the WvW community and I can say it may be harsh sometimes but not toxic enough to make someone "disgusted" in one session. To be "so disgusted in the GW2 community" you should accumulate a lot of hard feelings before entering WvW. Where? You said you are (until now) a PvE player.Second - what you encountered now was a mixture of WvW players and PvE players. Are you sure the toxicity was from the WvW community?

"To me, Anet introduced the mount so that people would have a reason to try out WvW, and that is what I am doing,". In my opinion your interpretation for the mount is wrong. The mount in WvW was designed in the period when ANet main concern was to give us the illusion of work on GW2. That they don't care of the players is proven by the fact that in all the polls the majority was against the mount in WvW. So, in my opinion, the mount is now in WvW not for the players. But for ANet income. They also knew very well what queues will be in WvW and how upset will be the WvW-rs wanting to enter the favorite mode and being stopped by interminable queues. So, I think, if you want to find a reason for the (possible) toxicity you encountered, then look at ANet.

And finally- if you really want to continue, then try to watch what the other do in WvW and to do something only when you know what consequences your action will have. Because, today, almost half of the defending team on a captured keep was wiped by one of our players repairing the gate. Almost half of the team was left outside, without any way to retreat - literally with the back on the wall.

A poem I read sounds like that:

Listen, watch, and keep silent.Listen to find what to do.Watch to learn how to do.And keep silent ..... sorry. I cannot continue, my English skills are not so high enough :s

Nobody calls somebody idiot (as you state) if the "idiot" knows what he is doing. But for this he should learn. By watching the others.

@Xenon.4537 said:This is why the wvw game mode is "dead" or dying. The hardcore wvw players make "taggless" squads, or invite-only because they don't want "rally bots" following them. This attitude has been around since 2012. I was in a dedicated wvw guild back then. I remember how those people felt about "fairweathers" and pve players. They look down on you with disdain and contempt. It's an "us vs them" mentality and over the years it just alienates people. It's like walking into a biker bar when you aren't a member of the local biker gang.

The game mode would be in a much healthier state today if people were less standoffish about builds and gear. Maybe point people to resources or just give them advice instead of treating them like a disease to keep out of your precious squad. I mean for crying out loud its Stonemist, not Dhuum CM. Who cares if a few randos follow you.

Er....

@Xenon.4537 said:Who cares if a few randos follow you.

@Xenon.4537 said:because they don't want "rally bots" following them

You've answered your own question.

Why do commanders not want these people following them? Because they are new or PvE? Absolutely not.

They don't want them following them because:

• they don't get on comms
  • they don't follow commander's instructions on comms
  • they don't run meta appropriate builds

So either they are inside the squad "absorbing" boons/heals without performing, or they follow outside the squad giving easy rallies to the enemy team. What is so hard to understand here? I've seen my commander ask for the greens around us to join squad and our comms channel, yet they refuse because reasons - the fault isn't the commanders, but that of these players.

It's ok, I used to think like you did, back when I was new to WvW. Now about 50% of my playtime is spent in WvW and I understand why commanders do this. By all means they should invite players to squad and comms, and be willing to explain (when possible), but when the extended hand is ignored or rejected, those players now become part of the problem.

@zionophir.6845 said:you should go Tarnished Coast, there is no such thing as trash-talking the PvErs in team chat but quality teamchat pvp. (usually SEA-Eu-Early NA prime times)

I only heard one crap thing in TC so I'm seconding this. I found a great guild running maps and they were pretty chill with explaining things, makes me want to go back during those hours and play more WvW.

Interesting. In our server we had a tag (who is normally a very good roamer/havoc player) on desert with a 40 queue running circles doing essentially a ktrain. Now, part of why he did this, (and of note the other two servers did too) was he knew that a lot of the players on him were not regulars, and were only there to get the mount. In the process, he and several of us offered tips along the way.

Now... were there people who were toxic? Yep.

But you know what? That is life.

Please don’t generalize all WvW players as you did.

Right now, we've got a queue to EBG and a queue to Green BL, one of them has a Commander on voice comms, who is trying to fight another blob, while EBG has no tag at all. It's most likely pugs who just want to farm WXP, so they are on the wrong zerg classes, or are using the wrong builds, which will just get us wiped against anything that's organized enough to fight us, which isn't fun.

That isn't elitism, it's just how WvW works. If you aren't one of those zergs trying to farm WXP like it's EoTM in 2014, without contributing to WvW, or learning to be more cooperative, what's the point in anyone leading those type of players?It's not like we don't ask nicely, many people just won't commit to wvw.

I've seen no problems with commanders taking and guiding the swarms of new people. Have yet to see a comm tell anyone to not follow them. I've seen way more actual guiding than usual, actually. Specifically what we are doing and why and how things work. I've seen many people offer tips on how others should change their PvE builds into something more useful for WvW. Tips on how to use their rank points efficiently. Hopefully some of these people get a taste for it and keep coming back.

The only toxicity that I've seen is directed at the ones who don't actually want to play the game mode and not contributing at all, and rightfully so. How many people in Fractals, raids or any other PvE content would tolerate someone taking up a slot and doing absolutely nothing to contribute? No PvE party would tolerate someone standing off to the side while the rest of the party does the work and this is no different in WvW. The only difference is it's a much larger scale and these people doing nothing are actively preventing people who want to contribute from even getting in.
I'm all for new blood in WvW, the more people the better and more interesting it is. But if you're going into a game mode, then actually play that game mode.

Yesterday I had a lot of fun on the maps. Teamchat was a little bit more toxic than usual (a lot of the WvW-regulars were stuck in the wait queues), but overall it was chaotic and funny.

Today is a different story. I went to the Eternal Battlegrounds because the other maps had queues and this map had no queue. The red and green zergs were spawn camping the blue spawn in turns, they did not fight each other, but they took the blue keep from each other every time when the five minute buff expired.

I guess the red and green zergs had a lot of fun. The few blue players not really. Yes, I know, WvW is not balanced, thats GW2. But I guess I will take a longer vacation from EBG until most players have their warclaw.

I seen a fair bit of toxic behavior last night from players on the server i play on towards PvE players, even more so towards PvE players who where runing a "non meta" build, it really does just boil down to frustration that Anet have made it that WvW can only really run 3 or 4 classes and only maybe 1 build for them classes and everything else is just useless in open field combat.

On the flip side, i do find it ironic that the players on my server who are extremely toxic are the same people crying about WvW being a dead game mode, well DUH you chased away newer players who might have actually picked the format up, had you expressed that certain classes are not as good, rather than being GTFO Scrub running useless trash build.

Archived