I have never been so disgusted in the GW2 community before!

@Asudementio.8526 said:

@"Zushada.6108" said:I am an avid WvW player and yes, I play PVE as well. But honestly, what I read in Team chat today was disgusting. The WvW community is the first to complain about dead maps and lack of coverage at certain times of the day. Yet, rather than use an opportunity where we have bloated queues and an influx of interested players, the core WvW community decides to tear the mickey out of new players in Team and map chat. It did nothing but make the WvW community look like elitist snobs who can't handle change.
passes mount haters a tissue
After playing WvW since launch, I have never been so disappointed in the community like I was today. It takes 2 seconds to help a new person, and that new person you help could become a pretty strong ally and bring a lot to the game mode.

In short, the OP has a point and perhaps some of the core WvW players need to take a step away from the computer and think before typing in team chat.

The PvErs flocking to WvW are not "interested" players- they are collection farmers there to unlock a mount. They have had access to the game mode since it's inception. This change is not significant enough to rope them into playing. Can we please just move beyond this threadbare talking point.

I see your point but have to disagree in many ways. It is not a threadbare talking point.

Those who hate WvW/PVP see the mount as simply "the WvW mount" and won't play it regardless. Those who are interested but concerned about being new, use these times as an opportunity to "noob with the masses" for a common goal. Essentially they don't know anyone from the WvW community so they try it out when opportunities arise like this. Really, this happens because the majority of guilds you meet when you start playing the game are PVE oriented.

I understand it is annoying to the regular WvW players, I really do because we know it is a passing phase. On the other hand, I also like to see it as an opportunity to bring new players into the game mode rather than an opportunity to slag on ppl for simply not knowing.

It just seems like the regular WvW players have forgot that we already have the Gift of Battle that PVE'rs have to complete for legendaries so there are always PVE'rs in the game mode. The Warclaw is optional and definitely not attractive to PVE'ers because it is slower than the other mounts (Griffon walking speed) in PVE maps. So those who are queuing have largely replied (in my map and team chat anyway) and indicated that they were long-time WvW players who took a break and returned to check out the mounts. My point is that it is the perception of the community that there are "flocking PVErs" without considering the number of WvW players who have left and returned.

Thank you for the discussion, have a great evening!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Zushada.6108 said:

@Zushada.6108 said:I am an avid WvW player and yes, I play PVE as well. But honestly, what I read in Team chat today was disgusting. The WvW community is the first to complain about dead maps and lack of coverage at certain times of the day. Yet, rather than use an opportunity where we have bloated queues and an influx of interested players, the core WvW community decides to tear the mickey out of new players in Team and map chat. It did nothing but make the WvW community look like elitist snobs who can't handle change.
passes mount haters a tissue
After playing WvW since launch, I have never been so disappointed in the community like I was today. It takes 2 seconds to help a new person, and that new person you help could become a pretty strong ally and bring a lot to the game mode.

In short, the OP has a point and perhaps some of the core WvW players need to take a step away from the computer and think before typing in team chat.

The PvErs flocking to WvW are not "interested" players- they are collection farmers there to unlock a mount. They have had access to the game mode since it's inception. This change is not significant enough to rope them into playing. Can we please just move beyond this threadbare talking point.

I see your point but have to disagree in many ways. It is not a threadbare talking point.

Those who hate WvW/PVP see the mount as simply "the WvW mount" and won't play it regardless. Those who are interested but concerned about being new, use these times as an opportunity to "noob with the masses" for a common goal. Essentially they don't know anyone from the WvW community so they try it out when opportunities arise like this. Really, this happens because the majority of guilds you meet when you start playing the game are PVE oriented.

I understand it is annoying to the regular WvW players, I really do because we know it is a passing phase. On the other hand, I also like to see it as an opportunity to bring new players into the game mode rather than an opportunity to slag on ppl for simply not knowing.

It just seems like the regular WvW players have forgot that we already have the Gift of Battle that PVE'rs have to complete for legendaries so there are always PVE'rs in the game mode. The Warclaw is optional and definitely not attractive to PVE'ers because it is slower than the other mounts (Griffon walking speed) in PVE maps. So those who are queuing have largely replied (in my map and team chat anyway) and indicated that they were long-time WvW players who took a break and returned to check out the mounts. My point is that it is the perception of the community that there are "flocking PVErs" without considering the number of WvW players who have left and returned.

Thank you for the discussion, have a great evening!!

This mount does nothing for the myriad of problems normally cited by people who are WvW primary players who quit the game.

Having players come back is nice, but without a retention strategy their return is ultimately worthless.

In the mean-time, this resurgence makes the play experience of those who still play regularly worse.

Thanks for the discussion, have a great evening.

@CosmicKittenTora.6015 said:To me, Anet introduced the mount so that people would have a reason to try out WvW, and that is what I am doing, I am actually going to be in WvW more often.

1) anet introduced mounts to further force PoF sales.2) youre asking how to get a reward not how to play the game mode - you dont give a shit about the game mode, youre there for the reward, players see that and obviously dont like that.

Don’t let the 5 or 10 trolls ruin it - insta block them. The wvw community, like any, has a small, vocal, troll minority.

I lub you long time pve scrubs :)

And if your a wvw player being a tard to new players, you can’t whinge about a dead game mode then be a tool when anet make a change that brings in the masses.

Insta block - enjoy the game mode - and you will find nice people to play/work with :)

WvW has its own sub culture within the GW2 community. For everyone that came in just for the mount, we're waiting for you to get it so you can leave. If you're serious about playing WvW and willing to adapt your play style and build then I am sure people from whichever server you are on would be more than happy to help.

@"CosmicKittenTora.6015" said:I decide to go into WvW to try and get the newest mount for myself, and I am having a surprisingly good time. However, the WvW community is extremely toxic, there are so many new players either actually trying out WvW or having PvE players come in for the mount, and when they ask for help, the WvW community is so rude towards them and it's disgusting.

To me, Anet introduced the mount so that people would have a reason to try out WvW, and that is what I am doing, I am actually going to be in WvW more often.These WvW players are chasing potential new players to either hate WvW or hate the entire game.

I am always afraid to ask for help in any mode now because I am afraid of getting attacked for not knowing something, these people don't realize that they also at one point knew nothing about these things, and now verbally attacking new players and calling them idiots.

I know there is no way to change these things about the people, I just wanted to express my major concern about one of the games biggest communities.

WvW is really fun and I do not want people to get chased away, I am going to be doing WvW more often but going to just avoid talking to the people in there.

I was on gandara right after the patch hit for a good 2-3 hours. No toxicity. On the contrary, veterans explained to newcomers what to do (eg put one point in mount mastery, one in gliding and the rest on autoloot). Toxic individuals will be everywhere. I saw a lot of "pvers" tryind to troll/be toxic prepatch. Do they represent the pve community? No they dont.Relax.

if the queue simmers down, the optimal way to get pipping (when there is no active commander elsewhere) is to go borderlands, cap camps, kill vets, claim lands, kill guards, hop borderlands by timing it right (for efficiency), if from borderlands and a nearby tower/camp in ebg is available for capping, hop, then hop again, doing everything that i said. if you're not that experienced in pvping, bring a friend or more with you. coz roamers, when you kill them alone, they will hunt you with 2-3 more including the one you killed.

it's kinda routine, but hey, it's almost the same as pveing right? and you might get precursor on high magic find while killing npcs or champ bags.. use your boosters too.

and blast your favorite music while doing these. coz there are some classes which just require adrenaline rushes from the music and incompatible with listening to a commander (will impede your natural movements or your "gracefulness in dancing" becomes rigid)

Gotta say I agree with OP here. Today's behaviour was something to be ashamed of. Never seen so much toxic behaviour before.

WvW often has the same group of people running around, making in-jokes and overall behaving like a tightly knitted community. I see the same commanders, or the same dry-humoured comedians spouting nonsense in map chat from time to time, but today it just seemed like "bully pve players" day.

Not expecting anything to change. Just sad that this is considered "the norm" and "if you don't like it, stay in pve". Unfriendly attitudes all around.

@CosmicKittenTora.6015 said:I decide to go into WvW to try and get the newest mount for myself, and I am having a surprisingly good time. However, the WvW community is extremely toxic, there are so many new players either actually trying out WvW or having PvE players come in for the mount, and when they ask for help, the WvW community is so rude towards them and it's disgusting.

To me, Anet introduced the mount so that people would have a reason to try out WvW, and that is what I am doing, I am actually going to be in WvW more often.These WvW players are chasing potential new players to either hate WvW or hate the entire game.

I am always afraid to ask for help in any mode now because I am afraid of getting attacked for not knowing something, these people don't realize that they also at one point knew nothing about these things, and now verbally attacking new players and calling them idiots.

I know there is no way to change these things about the people, I just wanted to express my major concern about one of the games biggest communities.

WvW is really fun and I do not want people to get chased away, I am going to be doing WvW more often but going to just avoid talking to the people in there.

Do you play Base Ranger?

That would explain alot.

@CosmicKittenTora.6015 said:I decide to go into WvW to try and get the newest mount for myself, and I am having a surprisingly good time. However, the WvW community is extremely toxic, there are so many new players either actually trying out WvW or having PvE players come in for the mount, and when they ask for help, the WvW community is so rude towards them and it's disgusting.

You could literally copy and paste this entire post and insert Raid community or fractals community and it's still a valid complaint.Fact is. The community has toxic people on every side.We are all toxic spores waiting to be triggered

I saw WvW players telling new players to get out and I saw new players from PvE ranting in team chat and telling some of the people giving out information to shut up and stop spamming.

Pretty poor showing from both sides; the Warclaw certainly brought the forum to the Mists.

@Solori.6025 said:You could literally copy and paste this entire post and insert Raid community or fractals community and it's still a valid complaint.Fact is. The community has toxic people on every side.We are all toxic spores waiting to be triggeredLet's try!

I decide to go into Raids to try and get the legendary armor for myself, and I am having a surprisingly good time. However, the Raiding community is extremely toxic, there are so many new players either actually trying out raids or having WvW players come in for the exclusive legendary armor skins, and when they ask for help, the Raiding community is so rude towards them and it's disgusting.

To me, Anet introduced the legendary armor so that people would have a reason to try out raids, and that is what I am doing, I am actually going to be in raids more often.These Raid players are chasing potential new players to either hate raiding or hate the entire game.

Raiding is really fun and I do not want people to get chased away, I am going to be doing raids more often but going to just avoid talking to the people in there.

This is why the wvw game mode is "dead" or dying. The hardcore wvw players make "taggless" squads, or invite-only because they don't want "rally bots" following them. This attitude has been around since 2012. I was in a dedicated wvw guild back then. I remember how those people felt about "fairweathers" and pve players. They look down on you with disdain and contempt. It's an "us vs them" mentality and over the years it just alienates people. It's like walking into a biker bar when you aren't a member of the local biker gang.

The game mode would be in a much healthier state today if people were less standoffish about builds and gear. Maybe point people to resources or just give them advice instead of treating them like a disease to keep out of your precious squad. I mean for crying out loud its Stonemist, not Dhuum CM. Who cares if a few randos follow you.

@"Xenon.4537" said:This is why the wvw game mode is "dead" or dying. The hardcore wvw players make "taggless" squads, or invite-only because they don't want "rally bots" following them. This attitude has been around since 2012. I was in a dedicated wvw guild back then. I remember how those people felt about "fairweathers" and pve players. They look down on you with disdain and contempt. It's an "us vs them" mentality and over the years it just alienates people. It's like walking into a biker bar when you aren't a member of the local biker gang.

The game mode would be in a much healthier state today if people were less standoffish about builds and gear. Maybe point people to resources or just give them advice instead of treating them like a disease to keep out of your precious squad. I mean for crying out loud its Stonemist, not Dhuum CM. Who cares if a few randos follow you.

This is a perfect highlight of the PvE problem.

There is no Dhuum CM in WvW.

The equivalent is guild versus guild; build vs build. One coordinated group faced off against another -measuring strategy, skill, build, comp, and experience against one another. This is something that is ruined by greens blobbing in, rally botting, swarming and picking enemies. They disrupt everything that hinges on people trying to enjoy pushing the combat system of this game to its maximum.

The fundamental inability of PvE players to understand this is why they cause problems in WvW.

@"Xenon.4537" said:This is why the wvw game mode is "dead" or dying. The hardcore wvw players make "taggless" squads, or invite-only because they don't want "rally bots" following them. This attitude has been around since 2012. I was in a dedicated wvw guild back then. I remember how those people felt about "fairweathers" and pve players. They look down on you with disdain and contempt. It's an "us vs them" mentality and over the years it just alienates people. It's like walking into a biker bar when you aren't a member of the local biker gang.

Dhumm cm is scripted. People arent. No comparison whatsoever. And - unlike Dhuum cm- people hate getting farmed over and over.

There's so much in this discussion just shaking my head at it all.I doubt the WvW population will increase much it never really did after new map, pips, legendary armor,...doubt a mount will...show me am wrong pve centric people.

I ran just with my guildmates (wvw havok guild) for a little while and yous don't realize how broken the mount can be: between the evades, the supersuperspeed and the skill 1 instant death on downs...

I was listening to my guildmates in discord tonight and seems both wvw and pve players were raging at each other at times...its not just one sided...I often join raids,fractals, (pvp) etc when bored and the toxicity is pretty high...anyways.

Mount speed seems to op in ebg also...

Sorry to some in this discussion if groups run tagless, like many say your rallybots to us in important fights.I know I tag sometimes and my guildmates hate it since we aren't a blob minded grp put a 5-10 man havok grp.

I wish both side would respect each other more simply put.

The part that I think sets a few regular wvw players back is this:

The mount has been revealed beforehand and delayed so why didn't most people with no knowledge just read the gw2 wvw wiki or wvw youtube tutorials...I do that quite a bit when I look into new raids or pve stuff am not sure about since its only 10% of my gaming time. So spamming map and team chat can get tiring.

WvW isn't a ktrain most of the time unless server pop unbalance so is not like eotm, not defending t3s when map queue on map goes for a paper tower achievement instead of a t3 keep defend makes a lot of regular grit their teeth because of the time tactics skirmish pts etc that goes in upgrades. (One poster did say its nice having more paper stuff instead of t3s, I can understand that point of view but not how its being achieved.)

With the mount the combat in WvW has changed drastically in some ways...good or bad yet to know...but a feeling...

Just my 2 cents from 6yrs+ wvwerCheers

*I wish I could get the griffon mount as fast as I did the Warclaw...1-2hr....:)

To be fairMost toxic players in wvw are active in teamchatThose are the people you see talkingAnd they mostly so bored in game they respond directly, leaving no 'gap' open for Nice players to respond

But this mount is Just soo gamebreaking in roaming

Either just troll them, be nice to them (for some reason this winds up trolls more than getting angry), or disable team chat. Job done.

If this still doesn't help, remember that this event is like trying to play fractals when half the players online are only trying to do the backpiece collection, and refuse to finish the instance once they have what they need. That's why people will be salty.

Earlier today, a new player was asking for help repairing a keep gate that had been smashed down. Several rather helpful individuals responded over map chat with such helpful insights like "go back to PvE" or "stay out of wvw until you know how to play". They even helpfully pointed out that the wiki can teach a player everything they need to know, and they should read the entire thing before even thinking of stepping foot on their holy ground.

Some people really are the worst. I know they are the minority (and generally the most vocal), but I could see how these sorts of people could make the game mode offputting for newer players.

@"Westenev.5289" said:Earlier today, a new player was asking for help repairing a keep gate that had been smashed down. Several rather helpful individuals responded over map chat with such helpful insights like "go back to PvE" or "stay out of wvw until you know how to play". They even helpfully pointed out that the wiki can teach a player everything they need to know, and they should read the entire thing before even thinking of stepping foot on their holy ground.

Some people really are the worst. I know they are the minority (and generally the most vocal), but I could see how these sorts of people could make the game mode offputting for newer players.

Fair enough but what does it take but 5-10 min to read the gw2 wvw wiki...and people had 2 weeks to do so with the update delays...it goes both ways sorry. I use the wiki for raids and pve stuff I don' know about then ask guildmates then ask the community...anyways that's the other view of it.

@"Westenev.5289" said:Earlier today, a new player was asking for help repairing a keep gate that had been smashed down. Several rather helpful individuals responded over map chat with such helpful insights like "go back to PvE" or "stay out of wvw until you know how to play". They even helpfully pointed out that the wiki can teach a player everything they need to know, and they should read the entire thing before even thinking of stepping foot on their holy ground.

Im sorry about ITSoms of the 'recent' FC bandwagon and the roamers on fc (which is dead in their eyes)recentlyre bitching on out newcomers and fresh players, feel most welcome on fc when you backWe rather have people who look to be usefull then those looking for easy bags and carries

FC and et been t8 servers before with low populationsNot alot pve players to come and play for us on that matter, not having the numbers to cover against tc (probably 2nd most stacked server) and sbi which probably had map q's all night

Anyways as i know roaming is dead for now, with some tweeks i see gaps on this mount to open new Doors, but not more Doors then IT Will shut down

I was actually surprised the other way round. I would've expected the maps to become salt flats full of flames and angry players who snap at "them pve'ers" for clogging their queues. I play wvw regularly, waited about an hour and it was quite fun since the maps were packed to max. Every "hi where do I get the kitty" question was answered stoically and the osprey palace changed color every 5 minutes so every team got the "hardest" of the achievements.

Only sometimes ppl got a bit salty since you couldn't change maps when upgraded structures were about to fall. But that was to be expected anyway on this day. :p

Archived