Daily AP Cap

@reapex.8546 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Without knowing why ANet went through the effort to install the cap in the first place, it's tricky to offer a compelling argument as to why they should remove it. I love the cap because it means I can take a break from the game (or go on vacation) without worrying that I'm missing something I can't get back. I hate the cap because it slows down AP gain. That doesn't make the cap good or bad; it just means it's a more nuanced situation than a lot of people seem to believe.

That was the reason anet stated for putting the cap in the first place. It lets people who started the game later catch up with those that have been playing since the beginning. If AP wasn't capped, new players would never be able to catch up with vets as time went on.

They can't anyhow, unless the vet stops playing. There's just an illusion of gaining ground.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Again, there's only 5k AP unobtainable by new players.How many new APs were introduced last year? How many years like that to equal/exceed 5k? How many years do you think this game will last?

What difference does it make? Until or unless ANet has a plan for providing opportunities for 5k AP to players starting in 2014 or later (without also providing those to early birds), those points aren't getting made up. In the meantime, early birds who play every day aren't getting still further ahead; the total amount of unobtainable points isn't growing. Without a cap, that would no longer be true.

@Daddicus.6128 said:They can't anyhow, unless the vet stops playing. There's just an illusion of gaining ground.The point remains that without a cap, new players would be losing ground. New players can continue to gain ground for everything except that 5k AP gap that was available when the game only kept content for a few weeks at a time, with no chance of going back.

Remove the cap and new players will be even further behind: they'd not be able to catch up in 3.6k dailies per year.

At this point, I should remind readers that I've never been in favor of ANet spending any energy on this at all. I think AP doesn't really matter in the long run; it's just a convenient way to keep track of things to do. I'd be fine if they decided to grant account rewards based on days played rather than AP, completely removing AP as a source of direct buffs or skins. (There's pros & cons to that sort of thing, too; it's not a universal good thing for a game.)

My point continues to be: there's value in the cap for the community overall, even if it's annoying for important subsets of that same community. There's also value in no cap, even if that's annoying for some. It would be helpful if people would keep that in mind when discussing.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Again, there's only 5k AP unobtainable by new players.How many new APs were introduced last year? How many years like that to equal/exceed 5k? How many years do you think this game will last?

The answer is that it will take about 10-20 years to catch up to the top leaders (to earn that 5000 back with new APs), and then only if the leaders stop playing. Remember that the first person to make it to 39,000 did it this year (or maybe late last year).

Instead of increasing the daily AP cap (and cheapens the value of 'Achievement'), doesn't it make a better sense to increase the AP caps for real content counters like:

• Champion Gladiator: #player killed in pvp
  • Dungeon Frequenter: #dungeon paths cleared
  • Ultimate Denominator: #player killed in WvW
  • etc.

Or add a new tier system like GWAMM that rewards AP based on how many max titles do you have.

But then again, too much work. Ain't bother!

@Absconditus.6804 said:While I'm all for a cap, I do think ArenaNet can raise that cap slightly on a yearly basis. And I don't mean by much. Just enough for older players to gain some AP, while newer players still don't fall behind (much) on each increase and can keep gaining some ground throughout the year.But would that really change anything? The people that want to boost their ap cheaply would grind out their dailies for the first month/three month/six month/however many ap there are to be had each year, then complain the rest of the year just like they do now.

The cap for dailies is fine, its not supposed to be an endless fountain.Anets neds to stop being Scrooge McSkritt on the regular achievements,Collections that takes weeks, and reward you 3 ap max,Or a difficult one of several tries and award you only 1 ap.In the meantime, one of the worst contents of the game, SAB, has hundreds of AP.

“We’re not adding a collection for the heroic Dragonsblood weapons, because we dont want people to feel forced to complete it.But here, have a lot of AP in one festival many people absolute worst thing ever added, and be forced to play that in order to keep up with the AP circus.”Do you want to try that again, anet?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"yorick.1305" said:I can't see how they count/ed Monthlies as dailies. How can something once a month be 'daily'. They got stopped ages ago though so kind of... w/e.

They didn't "count monthlies as dailies. They just put a cap on the total earned from either/both.

Also, as I understand it (it was long before I started), they first set a cap on each separately - 10k for one, 5k for the other. Later they merged those caps into the current 15k cap.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Without knowing why ANet went through the effort to install the cap in the first place, it's tricky to offer a compelling argument as to why they should remove it. I love the cap because it means I can take a break from the game (or go on vacation) without worrying that I'm missing something I can't get back. I hate the cap because it slows down AP gain. That doesn't make the cap good or bad; it just means it's a more nuanced situation than a lot of people seem to believe.

That was the reason anet stated for putting the cap in the first place. It lets people who started the game later catch up with those that have been playing since the beginning. If AP wasn't capped, new players would never be able to catch up with vets as time went on.

Why should they catch up, why should anyone starting the game 1 year, 2 years, after someone else, automatically think thats just not fair that they are so far ahead of me, i want a cap put on them so i can catch up, it was that mentality that made Anet do this,Because logging in daily doesn't represent skill? Achievement points from actually achieving things, is probably what Anet wanted to go for but didn't state. But it makes sense to me, why have high AP just for logging in daily? ArenaNet wants us to actually play and do their content.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

They can't anyhow, unless the vet stops playing. There's just an illusion of gaining ground.

Its not an illusion since Vets, actually stop playing. Also, they will catch up if they start doing the same content Vets do. They won't be able to surpass them unless vets stop doing new content, which some of them do. Or some of them only do one game mode, like WvW instead of PvE, etc.. There are too many variables to just decide players won't catch up.

I don't mind the cap really. I hit the cap years ago but I still try to get AP when new content comes out just for progression sake. What's wrong with everyone having 25k ap? Do people think having a high AP makes them superior/knowledgeable to lower ap people?

Archived