New Character Select Screen?

I remember that with each campaign of GW1 we got a new character select screen and it kept it fresh, I was wondering if there was any plans to do that with GW2, maybe like when Canth comes out cough cough. Even just a redesign of the current screen would be a nice change, I throw up a quick image what it could look like if you moved the character slots at the very least, currently I think there is a lot wasted space on our character select screen.

https://imgur.com/G0JGgDv

In terms of background, I was partial to the HOT one, I've still not gotten used to the POF one.

In terms of Character selection, yes, an update would be welcome. More than 7 characters being shown, different locations on the screen to display if necessary and if it's not too much to ask, a customizable way to sort characters (examples - most played, crafters, farmers, wvwers, story characters, Festival characters) just something other than last logged on to.

@Turial.1293 said:I remember that with each campaign of GW1 we got a new character select screen and it kept it fresh, I was wondering if there was any plans to do that with GW2

The current screen is about the fourth we've had in GW2. The previous ones were superb, you could see your characters in a neutral light, and the feet were not covered like that, so all in all the best option for taking character screenshots. Now you have weird light angles (i.e., the faces are partially in the shadow and look super grim on some characters) and, even worse, awful orange lighting (which messes up the armor color, and color authenticity in general).

I'm still waiting for a selectable background theme option. It could even be a community mod since I don't think that data is server-side and the old ones should still be there, unless fully overwritten.

Edit: Scratch the mod part, the files are probably replaced with each xpac installing on same location.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:I'm still waiting for a selectable background theme option. It could even be a community mod since I don't think that data is server-side and the old ones should still be there, unless fully overwritten.

Edit: Scratch the mod part, the files are probably replaced with each xpac installing on same location.

Yeah, I doubt we'll get that :(It was asked for often for gw1, but besides supposedly not being technically feasible they apparently didn't even have the files any more! (Similar to how they apparently don't have all parts of old LA anymore.)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Turial.1293" said:I remember that with each campaign of GW1 we got a new character select screen and it kept it fresh, I was wondering if there was any plans to do that with GW2

The current screen is about the fourth we've had in GW2. The previous ones were superb, you could see your characters in a neutral light, and the feet were not covered like that, so all in all the best option for taking character screenshots. Now you have weird light angles (i.e., the faces are partially in the shadow and look super grim on some characters) and, even worse, awful orange lighting (which messes up the armor color, and color authenticity in general).

I actually prefer the lighting in the current one because the previous ones all had somewhat "flat" lighting. Neutral in colour, sure, but too uniform in intensity(1). And the dark background means that poor Nerys (when she isn't dressed as a Dervish nor as Lara Croft) doesn't end up with her hands (Chaos Gloves FTW!) disappearing into the (white) background.

But I would like to be able to see my characters' feet, yes.

(1) Or maybe too "from the front", hard to say.

I'd prefer the characters staying in a row at the bottom. But I would like to sort them - by date of creation, class, race... something. Just so I always have my characters in the same order. In regards to background/theme it has changed with each expansion and I am sure it will if we get an expansion again.

@Zuldari.3940 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Can anyone link a picture of the HoT one. Seems like I don't remember the background at all.

Here you go:

Wait can we change the background? I see a dragonfall screen how do i get that?

I think those are the icons behind your characters faces. Depends on which map that character is currently in.

@Zeefa.3915 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Can anyone link a picture of the HoT one. Seems like I don't remember the background at all.

Here you go:

I think those are the icons behind your characters faces. Depends on which map that character is currently in.

Oh ok cause i have the same screen no matter where im logged out at.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:I like the lighting of the PoF character screen more than the HoT one. I just want to be able to see my feet..Me, quite the opposite. It's unnatural, and significantly distorts how my characters look. It's almost like there was a huge bonfire burning nearby coloring everything we see. Which, considering the PoF theme, might actually be an intended result.

@Zuldari.3940 said:

Here you go:

Oh ok cause i have the same screen no matter where im logged out at.Zeefa was talking about the background of
icons
(the character selection bar down below), not the main background on which your selected character is shown. That one
cannot
be changed.

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:I actually prefer the lighting in the current one because the previous ones all had somewhat "flat" lighting. Neutral in colour, sure, but too uniform in intensity(1).

I disagree that it looked "flat":

dJHZHrq.jpg(click to enlarge)

I think it looked perfect for screenshots. <3

@"Turial.1293" said:I remember that with each campaign of GW1 we got a new character select screen and it kept it fresh, I was wondering if there was any plans to do that with GW2, maybe like when Canth comes out cough cough. Even just a redesign of the current screen would be a nice change, I throw up a quick image what it could look like if you moved the character slots at the very least, currently I think there is a lot wasted space on our character select screen.

https://imgur.com/G0JGgDv

The UI for the character select only changed when Factions came out. It went from

to an isle where you can only see one, because before Factions came out there could only ever be four characters. They had to change this.

What they changed for Nightfall and Eye of the North wasn't the UI or set up, they just changed the background textures to be from Canthan to Elonian to Far Shiverpeaks.

Still wish we could change between the three + a brand new Ascalon background, maybe even one per region entirely would be awesome. But it is what it is.

ArenaNet has no need to change the UI for GW2 because it was built with everything we have in mind. Though they did alter it a little during Season 1 or 2, iirc, to remove some outdated stuff.